When I previously owned the BlackBerry Bold 9000, I never used the BBM Messenger app. I figured it was similar to Yahoo Messenger but only specific to BlackBerry phones. I also figured that text messages were good enough for me, so why use BBM? Especially since I don't have any personal friends who even have BlackBerry phones. (I also assumed that BBM only worked from BlackBerry to BlackBerry phone.)

So, I have a few questions about PIN's and BBM....

1) If I give people my PIN, is it possible to block unwanted BBM chats on the Passport?

2) What happens if I invite someone to a BBM chat who owns an Android or iPhone? Do they need to install BBM on their phones?

Thanks, I'd appreciate any additional feedback or tips about BBM.
    09-29-15 04:04 PM
    BBM is cross pplatform now. SO Android owners such as myself have very active BBM contact lists and BBM is something i use everyday!

If you invite someone to BBM via and pin and you want to, you can drop them and block them...yes.
    rcranz likes this.
    09-29-15 04:30 PM
    I've heard that BBM chats with text are "free". Are video chats free too? I mean, if I turn off all WiFi on my phone, will the video chat be transmitted free by the cell phone network? (I have unlimited talk and text on my plan, with 2GB of data)
    Q10Bold likes this.
    09-29-15 04:42 PM
    I've heard that BBM chats with text are "free". Are video chats free too? I mean, if I turn off all WiFi on my phone, will the video chat be transmitted free by the cell phone network? (I have unlimited talk and text on my plan, with 2GB of data)
    Video (BBM Video) works with other BlackBerry phones. Voice is crossplatform. And its free!
    BBM Meetings is crossplatform but it costs money...
    Btw I love BBM

Posted via PP
    09-29-15 04:58 PM
    It would count against your data plan unless you are on WiFi just like any other data

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 07:59 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but BBM Video wouldn't work even both of you are using BB10 devices. One of you must have BBM Meeting account. I personally knew (at least) 5 people having BB10 devices and none of us can do BBM Video... or we are doing something not right?

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 10:51 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but BBM Video wouldn't work even both of you are using BB10 devices. One of you must have BBM Meeting account. I personally knew (at least) 5 people having BB10 devices and none of us can do BBM Video... or we are doing something not right?

Posted via CB10
    You are doing something NOT right. BBM video is good to go between any 2 BB devices. The video is not cross platform but voice IS cross platform.
    09-29-15 11:09 PM
    I hope so that we are doing something not right...

Attachment 373765

Does anyone managed to do BBM Video to other BB10 devices without subscribing to BBM Meeting?
    09-29-15 11:29 PM
    I hope so that we are doing something not right...

Attachment 373765

Does anyone managed to do BBM Video to other BB10 devices without subscribing to BBM Meeting?
    I do BBM video all the time to other blackberry 10 devices! And no I do not subscribe to BBM meetings. 

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 11:46 PM
    When you go into your BBM app, check your list of contacts. At the top of each contacts profile you will see 3 green icons if everything is set up properly: a private eye icon, a video camera icon and a phone icon. If you want to video chat with the contact tap the green video icon or if you want to voice contact tap the green phone icon. That is all there is to it--very easy. This assumes that you have exchanged PINS with your contact of course.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 11:54 PM
    We'll try that...

Thanks bros...

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 11:59 PM
    Just as with other messaging apps like WhatsApp or Telegram, the texts aren't completely "free", they always get counted against your two gigs of data. Of course plain text messages contain such a low volume of data, that you won't notice any impacts. Things start getting interesting with lots of pictures and videos.
    Just like that, voice and video calls also count against you plans data volume.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 01:26 AM
    We really probably doing something wrong...

New to PIN's and BBM-img_20151002_163023_edit.png

There is no 'video camera' button selection on our BB10 devices...

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 08:33 AM
    We really probably doing something wrong...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151002_163023_edit.png 
Views:	342 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	374118

There is no 'video camera' button selection on our BB10 devices...

Posted via CB10

New to PIN's and BBM-img_20151002_121426_edit.png

If the icon in the middle is not present or green, you cannot video chat. Mine greys out when myself or the contact I'm chatting with has a bad signal.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 01:16 PM
    I dont have the BBM video icon
    10-02-15 03:37 PM
    I dont have the BBM video icon
    I have it for some contacts but not others. Does anybody know why?

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 05:56 PM
    I have it for some contacts but not others. Does anybody know why?
    Same here. A few of my contacts have the option for video contact. Others do not.

I installed BBM on my Android tablet and created an alternate account. I used my tablet to start a chat with my cell phone and I noticed there was no video icon.

So, maybe the video option is only available between BlackBerry phones with BBM? It's not possible for a video chat between phone and tablet? (or phone and PC?)
    10-02-15 08:54 PM
    First, as CA Governor, I welcome you to BBM.
    Second, when contacts have strong network for video, you see the icon. Also contacts can select no video option in BBM.

Peace out!

Posted via CA Governor's BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-02-15 11:44 PM
    The reason for not showing the 'video icon' because of weak network is sillier than the reason why Pluto is demoted as dwarf planet...

We all have strong network and all are using BB10 devices but there is no option to do 'video call'... some of us even inquire BlackBerry of why and how, and the only recommendation we've got is to subscribe to BBM Meeting...

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 02:23 PM