Are those quail eggs? Oh yes, Passport looks awesome!

Zoom Zoom Z30
    09-21-14 04:45 PM
    Even though the iPhone 6 has a slightly bigger screen, the Passport looks like it has the bigger screen! cant wait!!!!
    Iphone 6 has the bigger diameter screen, but the passport has a biger screen overall, Passport has bigger area.
    09-21-14 04:50 PM
    Actually mate, the Passport has what looks to be.. within the picture frame itself, 1mm or just about a clip more than the iPhone 6. There is so much more detail in the Passport
    09-21-14 05:08 PM
    WOW! The Passport just frickn' kills it!
    09-21-14 05:20 PM
    That's only true until the user first turns on the device. As soon as they try to grab their favorite app, the whole jig would be up.

Posted via CB10
    Apple can just come out and say something like: "we have decided for you plebeians, that the way of the future is html5,.. since we have finally giveth a decent browser (in this case it'd be the BB10 browser on the Apple-branded Passport),.. apps are no longer necessary, they are no longer hip." And then everyone would thank Apple for looking out for them, their newborns and their future,.. and bash others for their antiquated reliance on platform-restricted 'App Stores'.
    09-21-14 05:21 PM
    All it matters is the quality of the camera not the button. The iphone 6 camera is the absolute best out there continuing the tradition of previous models of offering the best cameras. Don't be fooled by more MP cuz that does not mean anything, the 5s 8mp smoked the S5 16mp.
    Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but I almost fell off my chair when I read this The iPhone (in any incarnation) is nowhere near the best camera on a phone. Don't get me wrong, it isn't bad, but it has a long way to go to get near the best camera in a phone. I also, respectfully, disagree about your MP statement. With all else the same, MP definately is a descriminator. Take the HTC One M8, 4MP camera. Good optics, large pixel size - good photos. I don't think anyone would claim it is the best camera. With imaging techniques, you can increase the quality of the shot by pixel binning (ie. nokia's pureview) - this in fact has a tremendous impact on photo quality.

If you go to a camera testing site, like dpreview, they test cameras using scientific means (noise, sharpness, artifacts, colour correctness etc). The best cameras are consistently made by nokia (hmmm, is that microsoft...) and sony. Have you heard of the pureview 808, or the lumia 1020 (just the camera...), or the z2/3, or the LG G3? These are all better than the iCamera. Even nokia's old n8 was better.

As an aside, sensor size is a contributor to image quality. The top two camera phones are probably the two nokias - 808 and 1020. They have a 1/1.2 and 1/1.5 inch sensor. The iPhone has a 1/3 inch sensor. The standard smartphone camera is 1/3.2 inch. Panasonic has just announced the CM1 - which has a 1 inch sensor. You can't argue with physics - bigger sensor, more light, less noise. Even though the nokias have 41MP sensors, they can pixel bin to provide pixels of 4um - compared to the latest apple size of 1.5um. This provides 7 times more light - which means less noise, and a far better shot.

Anyway, thats it for me - please don't say the iPhone has the best camera without first checking
    09-21-14 05:25 PM
    we all know who took this pic, the only person who has a passport and an iphone 6, crackberry Kevin
    09-21-14 07:31 PM
    The display of the Passport looks absolutely huge when sitting next to the iPhone 6. I would hazard a guess that the iPhone seen in the picture is the iPhone 6, and not the bigger iPhone 6 Plus, because the Passport has a 4.5" display and the iPhone 6 has a 4.7" display. They look roughly similar in length, aspect ratio not withstanding.

Once people see how massive and clear the Passport display is, they may well give it (and all other BlackBerry phones) a closer look. The new iPhones have come as a bit underwhelming for a lot of people, and I could see a few Apple die-hards defecting to the BlackBerry side of the fence just because the Passport is so unique and compelling.
    09-21-14 07:54 PM
    Wow! That thing is huge!!! Sucks to be in the U.S.A. right now! Probably won't see a Passport here until November and who knows when the Death Star will release it?
    09-21-14 08:21 PM
    The display of the Passport looks absolutely huge when sitting next to the iPhone 6. I would hazard a guess that the iPhone seen in the picture is the iPhone 6, and not the bigger iPhone 6 Plus, because the Passport has a 4.5" display and the iPhone 6 has a 4.7" display. They look roughly similar in length, aspect ratio not withstanding.

Once people see how massive and clear the Passport display is, they may well give it (and all other BlackBerry phones) a closer look. The new iPhones have come as a bit underwhelming for a lot of people, and I could see a few Apple die-hards defecting to the BlackBerry side of the fence just because the Passport is so unique and compelling.
    The iPhone 6 screen is much longer than the Passport's screen. The Passport has about 1sqin more area than the plan 6.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 08:38 PM
    All it matters is the quality of the camera not the button. The iphone 6 camera is the absolute best out there continuing the tradition of previous models of offering the best cameras. Don't be fooled by more MP cuz that does not mean anything, the 5s 8mp smoked the S5 16mp.
    Looks like the person who made the original snapshot compared photo quality. Would be nice to see those pictures. I mean, is it known what camera is in passport and how it compares to competition.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 09:20 PM
    That's only true until the user first turns on the device. As soon as they try to grab their favorite app, the whole jig would be up.

Posted via CB10
    I have many friends with iphones that use virtually no apps at all. Very few mainstream apps even..

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 09:31 PM
    the passport looks more and more pocketable with every picture.
    vpblaze likes this.
    09-21-14 09:59 PM
    Well said. Two years ago, we were a 4 Blackberry family. Then exactly 2 years ago today, my daughter got her iPhone 5...followed by my son who got an iPhone 5 for Christmas 2012. Then after my Z10/Q10 experience, I switched to iPhone 5S a little less than a year ago after it launched. It took a bit of getting used to at first but I've loved it ever since. Tomorrow, my wife, the last hold out, is getting her first iPhone. From a 4 Blackberry family to a no Blackberry family in just 2 years. My wife would have held out longer but last week when she was traveling and forgot her BB charger at home, she looked around the airport boarding lounge she was at to see if she could sweet talk someone into letting her borrow a charger for a few minutes. After looking for an hour, she realized she was the only one with a Blackberry in an area filled with business people. She did manage to find someone who had a micro-USB charger but it was for some Android device.

Yes, iOS 8, in many ways, only catches up to BB10 and in some ways is still lacking BUT I never miss BB10 any more and when I look at the Passport beside the iPhone 6, it only makes me want to get an iPhone 6 even more.
    I'm not sure what the point of your post was, but it's just as easy for some of us to paint almost the exact opposite picture. For a while, my father and I were the only BlackBerry users in my family, me with my Torch and he with his Bold. He switched to HTC and Android, so it was just me at that point. After I got my first Z10, my mother began to take notice, especially after I showed her how easy it was to use. She then switched from a non-smartphone to her own Z10. Back up to two. Then, after my brother's second Galaxy S3 went bad on him, he swore off Samsung/Android forever. He was using an iPhone 4 for a while when he was working overseas, but never bought into the ecosystem or really latched onto the OS. I think he felt the phone was too gimmicky. After I got my Z30, he asked if he could try my Z10. He did and he loves it, especially the typing and ease of communication. My father, meanwhile, still misses the BlackBerry experience and is planning on getting a classic when it's available. Finally, my nephew, currently 10 years old, loves both the Z10 and Z30. He knows how to use them better than his iPad. When his parents decide he's old enough to have a proper phone, he plans on getting a BlackBerry. So, from a 1-BlackBerry family to a soon-to-be 5-BlackBerry family in a year and a half.

Yes, BlackBerry has a ways to go before it's truly back, but my family and I have no need or desire to move to anything else, not when we can communicate with each other so easily and do everything we need to do. Just last night, I did a BBM video chat from Japan with my family back in the US. It was smoother than Skype, with no lag, bad audio, or drops. I started up screenshare and showed them all the pictures I've taken of where I live and work. When I see the Passport beside the iPhone 6, it only makes me want to get a Passport even more.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Captain_Hilts; 09-21-14 at 11:04 PM.
    09-21-14 10:31 PM
    Can someone confirm passport can run android apps such as textplus I need that to connect with my family. Currently have a htc m8 and looking forward for the passport.
    09-21-14 10:33 PM
    Well said. Two years ago, we were a 4 Blackberry family. Then exactly 2 years ago today, my daughter got her iPhone 5...followed by my son who got an iPhone 5 for Christmas 2012. Then after my Z10/Q10 experience, I switched to iPhone 5S a little less than a year ago after it launched. It took a bit of getting used to at first but I've loved it ever since. Tomorrow, my wife, the last hold out, is getting her first iPhone. From a 4 Blackberry family to a no Blackberry family in just 2 years. My wife would have held out longer but last week when she was traveling and forgot her BB charger at home, she looked around the airport boarding lounge she was at to see if she could sweet talk someone into letting her borrow a charger for a few minutes. After looking for an hour, she realized she was the only one with a Blackberry in an area filled with business people. She did manage to find someone who had a micro-USB charger but it was for some Android device.

Yes, iOS 8, in many ways, only catches up to BB10 and in some ways is still lacking BUT I never miss BB10 any more and when I look at the Passport beside the iPhone 6, it only makes me want to get an iPhone 6 even more.
    To each his own. I've been tempted by the 6+ myself, but for me the Passport is exactly what I need. If you're going to buy an expensive piece of hardware and be locked down for a couple of years, it's important to just make your own assessment of your needs and wants. Personally, I need a device with excellent battery life (or the ability to swap out the battery when I need to), excellent antenna, fast communication weapon, pleasant reading experience and good file management. Also, since the other 3 smartphone OS'S are American and there's the privacy question, BlackBerry is the best current solution. Iphone is developing nicely though.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247 O2 UK
    NotGoodIMO and bombastic like this.
    09-21-14 10:36 PM
    HAHAHA. I'm sorry. I laughed so hard at this post that I feel the need to apologize.

So because your wife did not know that the Micro-USB is the standard connector for almost every smartphone out there (except the phone she is about to get) she got stuck at the airport with a dead phone? If she travels a lot she should keep one of those rechargeable quick chargers in her purse for just such an occasion. I'm glad you guys like your iPhones but this story is just too funny.
    Seriously, even the charger for my dad's HTC One can be used interchangeably with the BlackBerries in the family and vice versa.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 10:54 PM
    And here am I thinking what is he eating?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    You and me both! But I got hungrier looking at the screen on the Passport. Way more detail

Posted via CB10
    DeliFresser likes this.
    09-21-14 11:04 PM
    Well said. Two years ago, we were a 4 Blackberry family. Then exactly 2 years ago today, my daughter got her iPhone 5...followed by my son who got an iPhone 5 for Christmas 2012. Then after my Z10/Q10 experience, I switched to iPhone 5S a little less than a year ago after it launched. It took a bit of getting used to at first but I've loved it ever since. Tomorrow, my wife, the last hold out, is getting her first iPhone. From a 4 Blackberry family to a no Blackberry family in just 2 years. My wife would have held out longer but last week when she was traveling and forgot her BB charger at home, she looked around the airport boarding lounge she was at to see if she could sweet talk someone into letting her borrow a charger for a few minutes. After looking for an hour, she realized she was the only one with a Blackberry in an area filled with business people. *She did manage to find someone who had a micro-USB charger but it was for some Android device.*

So what's the problem with the "android device mini-usb"? It's a universal connector, it works the same for android and Blackberry. And as we know, Android marketshare is around 80% while apple is a bit under 20%... So if you ask a ramdom person for a charger, it's 80% more likely that that person has charger that suits Android/BB, and only 20% of chances that person has a Iphone charger...

So what you say is a Con, it's actualy a Pro... Much easier to find a charger for a Blackberry than iOS

PS. If you're lucky to find a recent Samsung charger, those suckers have 2amp output, wich will fully charge a dead Z10 in under 1h, or more than 50% in 30min
    09-21-14 11:13 PM
    So what's the problem with the "android device mini-usb"? It's a universal connector, it works the same for android and Blackberry. And as we know, Android marketshare is around 80% while apple is a bit under 20%... So if you ask a ramdom person for a charger, it's 80% more likely that that person has charger that suits Android/BB, and only 20% of chances that person has a Iphone charger...

So what you say is a Con, it's actualy a Pro... Much easier to find a charger for a Blackberry than iOS
    Well that's why I mentioned that out of all the possible people in an airport waiting lounge nobody knew enough about it to get her charged up. It's kind of funny that nobody knew. At least that guys' wife is getting into an iPhone now. When my girl got her iPhone 5 she was the only person I knew who needed a lightning connector. Her sister had an iPhone 4s up until last Christmas and nobody else in either of our families had lightning connectors so she had to buy a bunch to keep in places like her car and my house in case she forgot her charger. It's a lot easier now that the lightning connector has been out a couple of years.
    09-21-14 11:20 PM
    I imagine, if after launch... we could get photos like this to go viral. Blackberry would sell a ton of Passports.

Photos of opening the same files side-by-side, reading eBooks, taking pictures (like the original post), opening spreadsheets (like the ad), etc. If there was a campaign of users doing this, I'm sure this phone will sell like hot cakes.

The photo just makes it clear, just how much more useful this phone will be...
    09-21-14 11:37 PM
    Just last night, I did a BBM video chat from Japan with my family back in the US. It was smoother than Skype, with no lag, bad audio, or drops.
    Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]

Just wondering, can the Playbook use BBM for video chat or does one need a BB smartphone?

P.S. I know that Playbook users can do videoconferencing with each other provided that each has the other's BB PIN number. But this BBM thing? Is it the same? Does one have to have a BB Data Plan?
    Last edited by 312Lorden; 09-21-14 at 11:52 PM.
    09-21-14 11:40 PM

I don't understand the problem here. Blackberry phones use standard USB charging cable, and in fact the only phones which use proprietary charging cables are iPhones. So, you can see situation few years from now when you will be stuck in a worse situation with an iPhone. On a second note, may be your family switched to the right ecosystem as per your technical know how.
    09-22-14 12:19 AM
    Just last night, I did a BBM video chat from Japan with my family back in the US. It was smoother than Skype, with no lag, bad audio, or drops.
    Posted via CB10

Just wondering, can the Playbook use BBM for video chat or does one need a BB smartphone?

P.S. I know that Playbook users can do videoconferencing with each other provided that each has the other's BB PIN number. But this BBM thing? Is it the same? Does one have to have a BB Data Plan?[/QUOTE]

PlayBook users can use video bbm with BlackBerry 10 phones. I've done it a number of times.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247 O2 UK
    09-22-14 01:21 AM
    Posted via CB10

P.S. I know that Playbook users can do videoconferencing with each other provided that each has the other's BB PIN number. But this BBM thing? Is it the same? Does one have to have a BB Data Plan?[/QUOTE]

YES. PlayBook users can do a videocalls with all BB10 users, either via the PIN or the BlackBerry ID.
    09-22-14 01:41 AM
103 1234 ...