Hi.
    I've always wanted a Passport so I am going to give up my Galaxy S8 plus to use it.

1. Where is the Passport section of this forum? Just joined and wasn't sure wanted to go there.

2. I've heard a lot of services have been shut down. Is there enough to still allow me to download apps from the blackberry store, Amazon, Google play?

3. Can I still download and run apk's?
    06-02-19 11:32 PM
    I've moved you there, which is here. Good luck with the Passport, and welcome to CrackBerry!
    06-02-19 11:48 PM
    Hi.
    I've always wanted a Passport so I am going to give up my Galaxy S8 plus to use it.

1. Where is the Passport section of this forum? Just joined and wasn't sure wanted to go there.

2. I've heard a lot of services have been shut down. Is there enough to still allow me to download apps from the blackberry store, Amazon, Google play?

BlackBerry world shuts down in the end of this year. That's all so far.

You can still run apks if they are under or equal to android 4.3.

Keep your Samsung also if you get yourself a Passport - you may need it now and then!
    06-03-19 10:04 AM
    BlackBerry world shuts down in the end of this year. That's all so far.

You can still run apks if they are under or equal to android 4.3.

Keep your Samsung also if you get yourself a Passport - you may need it now and then!
    I agree the OP needs to keep his S8....

Right now BlackBerry World is limited to only those apps that were free or have been made free... their are no paid apps. Which has taken away some of the best apps. As stated at the end of the year, there will be no BlackBerry World.

Finding functional Android Apps is more difficult today... limited compatibility with the old runtime and running out of ways to spoof Google Services.

If all you need is a phone, email, text the Passport may still be a great device... but if you need apps, like most today do then dual carrying is really the only way to use a Passport.

OP.... make a list of the apps you need, then search for each one on CrackBerry.
    06-03-19 02:29 PM
    Hi.

If you have a Galaxy S8+ (even S8), I would highly recommend this over the Passport and you'll save yourself some money and not have to double carry.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XJ5XMPB...UvbUpU13399170

As of right now, there are 26 units left in stock.
    I just got an S8 to go with my keyboard case (yes I bought the phone for the case, not the other way around lol) and while it's nowhere near as good as any BlackBerry keyboard (including the priv), it's much better than nothing and better than having to carry around a Passport.
    06-03-19 04:18 PM
    06-03-19 04:22 PM
    Hi.

Why in God's name would you get a passport now lol
    06-03-19 05:30 PM
    Why in God's name would you get a passport now lol
    Pkb, form factor, blackberry hub, less distractions, or search the forums yourself, why people tend to go back

Cheers!
    (from my SE)

Posted via CB10
    mikael11 likes this.
    06-03-19 07:30 PM
    Pkb, form factor, blackberry hub, less distractions, or search the forums yourself, why people tend to go back

Cheers!
    (from my SE)

Posted via CB10
    There are other more current PKB devices from BBMo with the more traditional and better selling form PKB of the Bold, and Classic styles.
    06-03-19 07:34 PM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar

Cheers!
    (from my SE)

Posted via CB10
    Yep.. still using my day one Passport...don't need apps and works beautifully for emails, texts, etc....

Can't beat that typing experience.... and yes, I still browse and take photos... acceptable for me... will wait for a much better product out there before moving from the Passport and bb10....

Posted via CB10
    06-04-19 08:20 AM
    Congrats on the Passport. It is a wonderful machine that you will enjoy more and more as you learn its features. As far as the S8 goes, I have an S5 that I sometimes carry, but hardly ever use. The Passports battery life, elegant ease of use, security and privacy are unbeatable. And I find it actually fits my pants pocket easier than the S5.
    06-04-19 08:39 AM
    keep that's S8, it's not worth it and you will be disappointed
    06-04-19 11:30 AM
    keep that's S8, it's not worth it and you will be disappointed
    It's subjective.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-19 03:59 PM
    It's subjective.

Posted via CB10
    I'm typing this on my S8 (not Plus) with the keyboard cover, and I'd use this setup any day over double carrying a slab and a Passport.
    06-04-19 04:13 PM
    I'm typing this on my S8 (not Plus) with the keyboard cover, and I'd use this setup any day over double carrying a slab and a Passport.
    Great! Glad it works for you.

Re: "keep that's S8, it's not worth it and you will be disappointed"

nothing wrong with saying keep the S8 just in case. but saying "you will be disappointed" is a tad cavalier. Passport still works just fine for some.
    gamegurl likes this.
    06-04-19 04:17 PM
    How can anyone say the Passport works fine considering you can barely use any android apps on it. Coming from an S8 to a Passport is a major downgrade
    06-04-19 04:26 PM
    I hope to be able to use the below Android apps. It does not matter if it is the latest version.

Are these possible?
    Btw, my passport should arrive this weekend.

Whatsapp
    Waze
    Google Maps
    Chess.com
    Netflix
    Scout Alarm (DIY Home security)
    Starbucks
    Opera Beowser
    Paypal
    06-04-19 08:02 PM
    I hope to be able to use the below Android apps. It does not matter if it is the latest version.

Are these possible?

Whatsapp
    Waze
    Google Maps
    Chess.com
    Netflix
    Starbucks
    Opera Beowser
    Paypal
    If you absolutely need these apps you are going to be very dissapointed. While some on that list will be marginally possible, most will be a no go experience.
    06-04-19 09:09 PM

Are these possible?

Whatsapp
    Waze
    Google Maps
    Chess.com
    Netflix
    Starbucks
    Opera Beowser
    Paypal
    -Whatsapp should work.

-An earlier version of Netflix still works.

-PayPal, best option is to use website in stock browser.

-Not sure about Google maps, but there are other maps: Magic earth works great, slow to start up but smooth to work with. From BBW I think OSMand is the only one with updated maps (android port).

-Opera works, but in my opinion very slowly. Kiwi use to be recommended. Stock browser is fast and still manages many websites.
    06-05-19 01:57 AM
    There are other more current PKB devices from BBMo with the more traditional and better selling form PKB of the Bold, and Classic styles.
    "Better selling" - that Pkb had a good ten years or more before the PP style has been introduced and been produced for like what? A year? I don't think that data is comparable.
    You've missed the point anyway. It was about that people find themselves various reasons for returning or buying a passport in 2019. Or buying a Nokia 6300. Or anything else. Me? I was just curious, wanting to know what was all the fuss about, and I quite liked the experience. Still, my true daily is the Classic, although I find myself using the passport more and more. I love the key2s look and I could use one, but the android... I'm sorry but I hate it so much.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-19 04:11 AM
    "Better selling" - that Pkb had a good ten years or more before the PP style has been introduced and been produced for like what? A year? I don't think that data is comparable.
    You've missed the point anyway. It was about that people find themselves various reasons for returning or buying a passport in 2019. Or buying a Nokia 6300. Or anything else. Me? I was just curious, wanting to know what was all the fuss about, and I quite liked the experience. Still, my true daily is the Classic, although I find myself using the passport more and more. I love the key2s look and I could use one, but the android... I'm sorry but I hate it so much.

Posted via CB10
    I think his "better selling" applied to only today's market.... where BB10 and BBOS phones are almost none existent in day to day sales.

The OP listed his wants for the device, it's clear that BB10 isn't what he should be looking at. Unless he keeps his S8 and dual carries. But for his usage, a newer BlackBerry would work.
    06-05-19 09:18 AM
    To answer the OP's other questions:

Blackberry Store (Appworld) works for now.
    The Amazon store loads on my PP, but I have not downloaded anything lately.
    The Google Play store requires a lot of hacking that I have not bothered with.

I believe there are still websites that allow you to download APK's. There should be other threads with a list of working sites.
    06-05-19 02:08 PM
    The Google Play store requires a lot of hacking that I have not bothered with.
    Not any more, it doesn't. Just download and install the Yalp Store. Done.
    anon(5597702) and gamegurl like this.
    06-05-19 02:13 PM
    How can anyone say the Passport works fine considering you can barely use any android apps on it. Coming from an S8 to a Passport is a major downgrade
    Depends on what it's being used for/the person's use case. Email, text, light browsing, Youtube, etc, why not? No extra apps needed. The more app dependencies, the harder it gets to recommend a BB10 device.

In this case ,the OP has a Passport, so why wouldn't we provide our opinions and say a few things it can be used for?
    mikael11 likes this.
    06-05-19 03:14 PM
    Google Maps 9.3.0 works fine for me including real traffic based turn-by-turn voice navigation (using it in my car). So it can be used instead of Waze, which allegedly works fine in some older version, but I was not able to get it work. Only drawback - no offline maps can be downloaded with Google Maps (AFAIK not version related).

Posted via CB10
    06-05-19 03:47 PM
49 12