So I've had the strange and unfortunate slow death of my Z10 just yesterday. It kind of forced my hand to get the PassPort, so as an early birthday gift, my girlfriend offered to get it for me. It's supposed to arrive within the next day or so.

I am kind of on the fence with owning the PassPort as I was really hoping to see a full touch coming out, I wasn't ready to leave BB, but I wasn't 100% sold on going back to a physical keyboard device. With all that said, I am still intrigued by the design of the PP and so I do have a bit of excitement in getting it.

So coming from a carrier Z10 to an unlocked PassPort, is there anything I need to know in preparation of it or in order to get it to work properly on AT&T?

Thanks In Advance!
    Last edited by Serkle K; 02-02-15 at 01:36 PM.
    01-21-15 09:38 PM
    It was super easy for me. They had the right nano sim all set to go. No issues with At&t, and this phone is simply incredible.

Posted via CB10
    Serkle K and thymaster like this.
    01-21-15 09:40 PM
    ...I was also porting a number over from Verizon. No issue there either.

Posted via CB10
    rai187 likes this.
    01-21-15 09:44 PM
    It's a couple weeks of getting use to the but it was a pretty easy transition for me
    Serkle K likes this.
    01-21-15 09:45 PM
    Lucky guy.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    Serkle K likes this.
    01-21-15 09:58 PM
    Mine should arrive in the next day or two as well. I've been reading all the reviews and watching videos and it seems that the keyboard generally takes a couple days to get used to. The Passport looks to be the best of both worlds as you get a physical keyboard but you also get swipe gestures like I had on my Z10 and Z30! I'm super excited to get set up and breaking in my new Passport...too bad I couldn't have gotten my hands on the Limited Edition Gold colour!
    Serkle K likes this.
    01-21-15 10:32 PM
    Lucky guy.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    Not really lucky since I haven't had a phone for, going on, 3 days now. I'm not going into this device with too much anticipation, though, so this should be interesting.
    01-21-15 10:57 PM
    Well,.. you will have to get a nano sim card.

And maybe do some thumbpresses to get them ready for some key crushing. lol

Posted via CB10
    Serkle K likes this.
    01-21-15 11:02 PM
    Okay folks,

Got the Nano SIM without issue... popped it in, and set up the device. For the most part everything is good. I spent all day yesterday trying to get it to my own personal comfort level with the apps and settings I had.

I tried to transfer from another device, but it was acting up, running really slow, so I wiped it, reset to factory, and then instead of doing a full transfer, I only did media and contacts. It's running pretty smooth, but I am really shocked at the lack of "native" apps that were in App world on my Z10, but are nowhere to be found on the Passport. That is pretty disappointing. I am going to give it another go to get Snap on here.

Any tips on how to get it on the Passport? I tried to search, but my search chi must be off cause I can't find the same info I found when I did it on my Z10. I really want my OnStar and Chevy apps for my car, and only need to get Instagram on my phone for stuff I do with DJing. I can manage without the extra crap I had, and didn't really use on my Z10.

Any tips or links you can help me with would be greatly appreciated!

Also, so far, I can't seem to get Blend to work. I've installed it on 2 different computers (Windows 7 & Windows 8) but I am getting the same error on both, saying it "Can't Connect". I've gotten it to recognize the device, and verified the code on the PC and the Passport, but then it stops after trying to initialize, and says can't connect. Anyone know what that could be?
    01-23-15 11:25 AM
    I used the BB10 Chrome extension to get Snap on My Passport.
    01-23-15 11:35 AM
    Okay folks,

Got the Nano SIM without issue... popped it in, and set up the device. For the most part everything is good. I spent all day yesterday trying to get it to my own personal comfort level with the apps and settings I had.

I tried to transfer from another device, but it was acting up, running really slow, so I wiped it, reset to factory, and then instead of doing a full transfer, I only did media and contacts. It's running pretty smooth, but I am really shocked at the lack of "native" apps that were in App world on my Z10, but are nowhere to be found on the Passport. That is pretty disappointing. I am going to give it another go to get Snap on here.

Any tips on how to get it on the Passport? I tried to search, but my search chi must be off cause I can't find the same info I found when I did it on my Z10. I really want my OnStar and Chevy apps for my car, and only need to get Instagram on my phone for stuff I do with DJing. I can manage without the extra crap I had, and didn't really use on my Z10.

Any tips or links you can help me with would be greatly appreciated!

Also, so far, I can't seem to get Blend to work. I've installed it on 2 different computers (Windows 7 & Windows 8) but I am getting the same error on both, saying it "Can't Connect". I've gotten it to recognize the device, and verified the code on the PC and the Passport, but then it stops after trying to initialize, and says can't connect. Anyone know what that could be?
    First off, welcome to the world of Passport!! Rest assured, your experience will be an awesome one!

As far as apps not showing up, have you tried looking under the 'available' tab in BlackBerry world? Most of the apps that were previously downloaded on another device should show up there. Of course, there's no guarantee those apps will work on your passport since some of them might have been designed for the older OS. But give it a whirl.

Blend is hit and miss from what I've seen on the forums here. It seems to be working fine on my MacBook Pro, but, there have been a lot of users complaining about connectivity issues. You may want to do a search in the forums for a possible solution.

Hope this helps!

Posted via CB10 on an AWESOME Passport
    01-23-15 01:27 PM
    First off, welcome to the world of Passport!! Rest assured, your experience will be an awesome one!

As far as apps not showing up, have you tried looking under the 'available' tab in BlackBerry world? Most of the apps that were previously downloaded on another device should show up there. Of course, there's no guarantee those apps will work on your passport since some of them might have been designed for the older OS. But give it a whirl.

Blend is hit and miss from what I've seen on the forums here. It seems to be working fine on my MacBook Pro, but, there have been a lot of users complaining about connectivity issues. You may want to do a search in the forums for a possible solution.

Hope this helps!

Posted via CB10 on an AWESOME Passport
    Thank you!

I did check the available tab in BBW but they aren't listed there. I was able to get Snap but I can't seem to find any other working apps for the Passport that I had on my Z10.

I have a MBP but I only use it for when I DJ. So I don't have much purpose for Blend to be on it.

I'm still trying with this device though. This will be my first full day with it. Haven't been able to put it down yet since I'm trying to see what works and what doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 02:19 PM
    Thank you!

I did check the available tab in BBW but they aren't listed there. I was able to get Snap but I can't seem to find any other working apps for the Passport that I had on my Z10.

I have a MBP but I only use it for when I DJ. So I don't have much purpose for Blend to be on it.

I'm still trying with this device though. This will be my first full day with it. Haven't been able to put it down yet since I'm trying to see what works and what doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    Give it at least a week. If only yo get used to the physical proportions, the keyboard placement and the stiffness or the keys.

I never thought I'd enjoy a physical keyboard device,.. but the Passport definitely has made me appreciate the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 02:41 PM
    Give it at least a week. If only yo get used to the physical proportions, the keyboard placement and the stiffness or the keys.

I never thought I'd enjoy a physical keyboard device,.. but the Passport definitely has made me appreciate the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    I have to say, so far the biggest disappointment is the apps. I just had a few of them crash on my a couple times, and they're "Built for Blackberry" apps. it's weird going back to my Z10 to check for files or use those apps via WiFi, but it seems like I don't have much or a choice at the moment.
    01-23-15 04:03 PM
    I have to say, so far the biggest disappointment is the apps. I just had a few of them crash on my a couple times, and they're "Built for Blackberry" apps. it's weird going back to my Z10 to check for files or use those apps via WiFi, but it seems like I don't have much or a choice at the moment.
    Built for BlackBerry ( not built for Passport) . Those apps you refer to have not been updated to support the Passport sadly. Look for the sachesi app(posted somewhere on CB) if you want to get the apps you had on your Z10.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 04:08 PM
    Built for BlackBerry ( not built for Passport) . Those apps you refer to have not been updated to support the Passport sadly. Look for the sachesi app(posted somewhere on CB) if you want to get the apps you had on your Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Well, unfortunately they were supposed to be updated to run once Passport when I was still on my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 12:34 AM
    Okay, so it's only been a few days since I got the Passport, but I'm not sure I'm happy with it. I wanted to give it a real chance but I'm having trouble with the simple things that are on the phone. I'm not sure if it's because this is my first "unlocked" device, but something as simple as checking voice-mail through the phone app you think should be 100% functional. But I can't seem to get it to play the voice-mail. I tap on it in the hub and nothing happens. I go into the phone and to the VVM tab, but the tab doesn't switch at all. I tried switching between all, missed, and vvm tabs in the phone section and nothing happens. So far the touch sensitivity on the keyboard seems to be hit ot miss. If I try to swipe up for a word, the word doesn't always get put into the text field and usually results in the character from the virtual row. And that's if the touch portion works at all. There have been times when swiping did nothing at all. And if I tried to double tap for the cursor control, nothing happens. Neither would swipe to delete.

Just another bit of frustration on the functionality of the device.

As far as getting used to using the device, I find I am getting better every day, and I know I still have plenty to learn with this device. I look forward to re-learning keyboard shortcuts and little things like that.

Also, I have the Stilgut leather case/cover and it's a nice touch to making this device even more classy. I would like to know if there is a way to set the device to just open at the lock screen when I wake up the device from opening the lid? I guess I would have to set a password to unlock from holster? I'd really just like to take advantage of the message preview option rather than swiping left and right to see it.

I guess that's all for now. I mean, this device is getting a lot of praise, and coming from BB10 I would have thought it would be a lot easier to use and I am finding, I am actually missing the ease of use I had on my Z10.

Any tips or advice on getting used to or getting these features to work properly?

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 02:25 PM
    Okay, so a reboot resolved my phone/voivemail issue.

One other issue I've noticed and I don't think this is limited to my Passport, is that I keep getting a blast of notifications that I need to log into an account...
    New PassPort owner (any day now)-img_20150127_005521.png

The problem is, I'm already logged into my Blaq account/app. I had one other secondary twitter account for my dog (it was really set up as a joke) but I rarely used it and so it's not logged in now that I'm on my Passport. Could that by why I'm getting the alerts though? And why so many alerts for one app!?

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 10:40 AM

One other issue I've noticed and I don't think this is limited to my Passport, is that I keep getting a blast of notifications that I need to log into an account...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150127_005521.png 
Views:	310 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	329996

The problem is, I'm already logged into my Blaq account/app. I had one other secondary twitter account for my dog (it was really set up as a joke) but I rarely used it and so it's not logged in now that I'm on my Passport. Could that by why I'm getting the alerts though? And why so many alerts for one app!?

Posted via CB10
    I would uninstall the Blaq app. Seems to have bugged up somehow.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 10:53 AM
    I would uninstall the Blaq app. Seems to have bugged up somehow.

Posted via CB10
    I tried that, and still get blast alerts like this, mostly from Blaq, but I have noticed there are a few alerts for apps I don't use anymore, so I don't have them on my new device.

Also, I just have to say the biggest test for usage of the Passport happened to me this morning at work. We had a critical down, and had to get on a conference call with our engineers. I was off of my charger since 7 am, around 945am I had an text exchange with my supervisor, and then we got on the call around 10. We were on the call for 90+ minutes, I was group texting with my supervisor and the desktop technicians in 4 other buildings, as well as a group chat with a a team of DJs on Facebook. I was on speaker phone for the majority of the call, and all the while still texting between both groups. After all was said and done I was still at 78% battery life left!

While a few others on the call were saying they had to grab chargers or call back on a land line, I was happy to be able to handle everything that was going on and I purposely didn't reach for the charger because I wanted to see hoe the Passport would handle the situation... I have to say I am so happy that I wasn't on my Z10 for that call. I would have burned through the first battery and been on the second battery by now.
    Last edited by Serkle K; 02-02-15 at 02:27 PM.
    02-02-15 01:36 PM
    You'll love it. I just jumped off the 6 Plus and I love mine.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 02:12 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150127_005521.png 
Views:	310 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	329996

Posted via CB10
    Just wanted to update that this issue seems to be resolved now, with the new OS. At least I don't recall having this happen since I've updated.

I have come to love my Passport, and I am getting more and more looks and comments about how people miss their BlackBerrys... so I always respond with, "so ge a new one!"

Posted via CB10 on my Passport
    02-22-15 08:37 AM
    I had the same experience about having to update an account info on my laptop, almost everyday, and I can't figure out what it needs!

And this went away also after the update! My passport is doing very well with this 10.3.1 update.

Posted via my Pretty WhiteBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2267 (from10.3.0.1418)
    Serkle K likes this.
    02-22-15 09:12 AM