Hello forum, new member from Houston, TX joining with a new passport that arrived today. Also completely new to Blackberry, coming from Android and have used S3, S4, and S5. So far everything is working great, got the basics set up and working. What I'm interested in hearing more about though is the tips, tricks, must-haves, must-dos, don'ts, etc. that many of you know about having far more experience in the Blackberry world than myself.

One thing I can think of off the top of my head is regarding Uber. Not on BB or Amazon store. I'm assuming you guys can grab it via Google store, would just like to hear more about the process.

I've watched multiple YouTube videos and read a few intro/guide topics thus far, but something tells me there's more to know! Anything will be helpful and appreciated, thanks.
    02-18-15 03:29 PM
    Welcome to the forums!

Let's see.. Diego Nei is reading carefully....

OK! So I'd suggest you get Work Wide app from BB World.

As for Android apps, since you came from there, you way want to either sideload (Don't know how? click here) Snap or hack Google Play Store in.

Other than that, install BlackBerry Link and have a productive day with your Passport! Once you ge the swipes right, you'll be unstoppable!
    Elite1 and arthurHOU like this.
    02-18-15 04:01 PM
    Well as I'm new to BlackBerry myself coming from a droid raze maxx, the biggest tip I can give you is don't expect BlackBerry to be like android.

There's an app called snap you can use to download apps from Google play but obv apps that require Google play services won't work.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    arthurHOU likes this.
    02-18-15 04:07 PM
    Sounds good! Knocking this out right now. I'll look into both of those Google options you mentioned and see which is going to be most reasonable. The swipes are definitely more tricky than I expected. It's funny because sometimes I get it perfectly for an entire email, other times I can't even piece a text together, no response at all.
    02-18-15 04:21 PM
    I never really used android for anything people use android for, i.e. games, extensive apps, etc. But Uber, for example, is one app I can't go about without. Otherwise I found everything else that I had on my S5 (Pandora, Shazam, WhatsAPP, etc.)
    02-18-15 04:21 PM
    You might want to upgrade your OS to the latest version as well. I never used the stock OS so I'm not sure how the swiping is on that but I've gotten pretty good at swiping on the leak I'm running.

See my signature for the info.

And, BTW, welcome to BlackBerry.

� Working WIDE � T-Mobile  Passport � Autoloaded 10.3.1.2267 �
    arthurHOU likes this.
    02-18-15 04:27 PM
    Apparently uber works fine if you just access it from the browser and save the bookmark to the desktop since it's html5

Posted via CB10
    arthurHOU likes this.
    02-18-15 04:30 PM
    Sounds good! Knocking this out right now. I'll look into both of those Google options you mentioned and see which is going to be most reasonable. The swipes are definitely more tricky than I expected. It's funny because sometimes I get it perfectly for an entire email, other times I can't even piece a text together, no response at all.
    You mean the keyboard suggestion swipes? Yeah, that takes a while to get used to how hard or light to swipe on the keys. Also, the predictions get better as the system builds your dictionary and common phrases.

Best advice is to be patient and let yourself get used to it for at least a few weeks before making a final decision.

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 and arthurHOU like this.
    02-18-15 04:39 PM
    I just picked up Work Wide. I had no idea this was a thing. Honestly one of the BIG aspects that was holding me back from moving was losing out on dual screen from Samsung Galaxy. Well there goes that, anyone who doesn't spend the $3 on this is losing out big time.

Thanks for all the responses so far, much appreciated.
    Elite1, diegonei and andy957 like this.
    02-18-15 04:46 PM
    Welcome! After you install snap or cobalt's google play store. You need to try blackberry blend. It is an awesome feature.

Also make sure you sync your contacts from only one account to avoid duplication.

And pinch gesture in the hub is a neat little trick.

Posted via CB10
    arthurHOU likes this.
    02-18-15 07:06 PM
    Welcome! After you install snap or cobalt's google play store. You need to try blackberry blend. It is an awesome feature.

Also make sure you sync your contacts from only one account to avoid duplication.

And pinch gesture in the hub is a neat little trick.

Posted via CB10
    Not to go off topic but does cobalts gp store come with working gp services

02-18-15 07:10 PM
    Welcome aboard!

You will get used to the os soon enough and you will fall in love.

One sweet tip, if you find that an app is missing options, swipe down from the top of the screen and you'll get more options. For example, look in blackberry world.

Posted via CB10
    arthurHOU likes this.
    02-18-15 07:44 PM
    Don't drop it, use a case and screen protector!

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 07:55 PM
    I use Uber all the time, I usually just go to m.uber.com

It works perfectly, you just sign in and go. I've done it here in LA and also in Dubai and London, so it works well everywhere Uber exists. You can even message the driver and all that.

Here's what it looks like.

New Passport, New to Blackberry, Tips/Advice?-img_20150218_175809.png

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 likes this.
    02-18-15 07:59 PM
    Welcome arthurHOU! Speed dial is great too. Just press and hold a key down whil n the home screen or any of the app screens and you can add a speed dial to that key.

Btw I'm in Houston as well.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 08:07 PM
    Not to go off topic but does cobalts gp store come with working gp services

You have to download and install his patched version of GPS, and I've found that it doesn't work for most of the apps I want it to work for. (It does work for Watch ESPN, but doesn't work for Hangouts and doesn't do anything for Google Maps—I can't sign in with or without GPS installed.) I was also constantly getting error messages when I had GPS installed. I found it wasn't worth the hassle and deleted it. You can try it, but my guess is you'll do the same.
    02-18-15 08:08 PM
    Thank you all for even more responses. Learned a lot of new things so far, this is great!

I tested Uber via website to get back from the office tonight and it worked flawlessly. Forget the app, this is perfect. Nice alternative!
    diegonei and Elite1 like this.
    02-18-15 08:19 PM
    Welcome to the Passport, it's an awesome phone!

I second the recommendation that you install Blackberry blend, it rocks!

I suggest you read the sticky thread "Passport Keyboard Tips" on the first page of this forum.

Hub tip: If you pinch inwards, it shows only unread messages. Pinch outwards to go back to the full list

Activate Blackberry Assistant and ask it to "Show me what you can do" then explore. Blackberry Assistant is a very underrated feature. Note, sometimes it can be a bit slow because it is still listening to make sure you're finished. If you tap the icon when you're done talking it will stop listening and process what you just said.

The amazon store has a "Free app of the day" every day. Sometimes they're not very useful, but occasionally you'll find some real gems there.

swipe down from the top of the home screen with 1 finger (or use 2 fingers if you're within an app) to access the quick setting menu. You can customize it from within the "settings" setting.

Another often overlooked feature is the built in FM radio. You have to plug your headphones in for it to work (they become the antenna, and you can tell it to use the speakers if you prefer).

Use the speakerphone. It's amazing. People really can't tell when I have them on speakerphone, it's great

If you haven't already, go through the tutorials on your phone, they'll really help a lot!
    DMillerA5, arthurHOU and Elite1 like this.
    02-18-15 08:29 PM
    Two very important apps that come preloaded on your BB phone are "HELP" and "TUTORIAL". Use them often and you can't go wrong.

Oh, just in case you are not aware, all email attachments that are sent to your phone are centrally/separately stored in the "Hub attachment" file. Great feature for when composing an email that you need to collate attachments you get from various emails, over a course of time.

Finally, there's so much to learn from the BB10 OS. I have been using BB10 phones since it was was launched over 2yrs ago and I'm still discovering new things.

Enjoy and welcome to BB WORLD.
    arthurHOU likes this.
    02-18-15 09:49 PM
    If you are running 10.3.1.xxxx, you can use the keyboard shortcuts to open apps. Example: 'f' for Facebook and the likes. Use word substitution to get special characters on the physical keyboard. Set the preview privacy settings to show sender only or the entire message on the lock screen. And JIC, swipe left on the keyboard to delete.

Posted via CB10
    arthurHOU likes this.
    02-18-15 09:56 PM
    Oh so the u+enter shortcut is a 10.3.1 only?

02-18-15 10:00 PM
    Oh so the u+enter shortcut is a 10.3.1 only?

Yes. Won't be much of a wait for you though - with the official 10.3.1 coming out tomorrow (based on what I read) .

OP, get all the keyboard tips here: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=965730
    02-18-15 10:05 PM
    Yes. Won't be much of a wait for you though - with the official 10.3.1 coming out tomorrow (based on what I read) .

OP, get all the keyboard tips here: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=965730
    Oh cool! Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    02-18-15 10:16 PM
    Congrats on your purchase and welcome aboard.

The keyboard on this thing is phenomenal. My advice, keep using it as much as possible. You will learn more and more tricks as you go. My advice will all be keyboard related but there are so many other great things about this device and the OS...

i) Learn where the symbols are mapped. When you swipe down on the keyboard, you will get the symbol set and notice that every virtual button is mapped to one of the physical keys. Learning where the ones you will use the most (parenthesis, semicolon, etc) will save you a ton of time.

ii) Download an app like Type Tutor Pro from BlackBerry World. The more you type on it the quicker you will get used to the feel. It takes a while to adjust but after you do, you'll be typing just as fast as any other device that you've had and with more accuracy.

iii) The virtual 'period' key has a picture of a microphone on it. When you hold this down, you can talk and the phone will convert it to text. It's quite accurate and definitely comes in handy sometimes.

iv) Check out the 'word substitution' feature. (Settings� Language and Input� Prediction and Correction� Word substitution. If you have words or common phrases that you use often, you can set it up so that you have the phone 'autocorrect' to your preferred text when you only have to type a few keys.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    arthurHOU and Elite1 like this.
    02-19-15 12:17 AM
    New Passport, New to Blackberry, Tips/Advice?-img_20150218_183948.jpg

Cool thread. Just received mine today. Can't wait to get going with my new Passport.

Z30-simply the best touch BlackBerry
    02-19-15 12:39 AM
35 12