Folks, I need expert opinions on my white Passport (PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2813) which arrived from shop BlackBerry UK on Thursday.

It has been behaving oddly since it arrived, although now seems to have settled down... Basically when coming out of standby, the device would often 'freeze', i.e. the screen would not come on right away, taking maybe 15s or so to activate. Sometimes, the screen would activate from standby right away, but the backlight remained off, rendering the display unreadable.

I did all the usual stuff, reboots by every possible means, and have now reloaded the OS via Link and autoloader, to both 2876 and 2813, where I am now.

Nothing seemed to work, and so yesterday evening, I emailed shop BlackBerry to request RMA.

As though the Passport could sense its imminent return to the cold, dark warehouse, the problem has gone! It now behaves perfectly.

Should I return it anyway? Distance selling regulations in the UK mean that I can return it for a refund, even in working order. Or is this just a temporary software glitch, which has genuinely resolved itself?

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 05:13 AM
    That is all very odd. Perhaps it just needed to be wiped?
    Sometimes after installing a new OS it takes a few hours (particularly overnight) to allow the OS to do all its maintenance background tasks including adding your info from your previous accounts you initiated. During that time the device seems laggy until everything settles down. You might be good to go, but would monitor the device over the next 24 hours or so. Anything seems unusual, continue with the RMA. But if you aren't comfortable and you can get this replaced, you might want to do the RMA anyway.

That's my $.02. :-) Otherwise, your device must be beautiful.
    10-04-16 10:10 AM
    RMA with DR is a roll of the dice brother

if it's working well now, I'd leave it be

#whatisclassic
    10-04-16 10:15 AM
    Scratch the above. Problems returned, so I ran BBVE. Proximity and light sensors fail all tests.

I have heard the DR horror stories. I will give them one shot at the replacement, then by the power of UK consumer legislation, call 'fail' and demand my refund by PayPal.
    New Passport - Issue-img_20161004_164058.png

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 10:44 AM
    RMA with DR is a roll of the dice brother

if it's working well now, I'd leave it be

#whatisclassic

What is DR if I can ask
    10-04-16 11:39 AM
    Digital river is a distribution service of software and hardware. They are not most professional or highest paid organizations.

Sent from a Silver Passport.
    10-04-16 12:53 PM
    Mods, thanks for changing title, posted at a time of frustration...

DR have offered me the services of their tech support team, which I've declined - not sure what they could offer unless they will talk me through a strip-down and reassembly of the phone? Maybe re-flow the solder?

Does anyone know of a reputable UK seller who could match shop BlackBerry's price right now?

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 01:57 PM
    Does anyone know of a reputable UK seller who could match shop BlackBerry's price right now?

Posted via CB10
    Smartfonestore is the only one displaying similar (actually lower) price at the moment but predictably no stock, plus I'm not entirely convinced on the reputability of their operations.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 04:05 PM
    Thanks, I think I'll wait for a further reduction in price next month, failing that I'll look for someone's unwanted upgrade on eBay.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for, and horrible SW keyboard of my Android
    10-04-16 07:48 PM
    Digital river is a distribution service of software and hardware. They are not most professional or highest paid organizations.

Sent from a Silver Passport.
    Thanks for explanation. I've been returning one of the phones I've ordered few months ago and my experience was very positive- called BlackBerry, got an RMA,sent them device,after they received and checked it the money were credited back to my account.

An original thread here http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post12485457

Ordered white PP last Monday, a bit worried what sort o "surprise" I'm going to receive
    10-05-16 08:53 AM
    I have ordered at least six devices from BlackBerry with no issues nor delay in shipment. I have found them more reliable than Amazon for getting the same exact thing advertised! I got a few BlackBerry devices from ebay that were fine too, but at these prices shopping NIB from BlackBerry seems by far the best way to go.
    10-05-16 03:35 PM
    Digital River is a large company that handles sales and distribution for many large companies (look up their list of clients). The only time people have had major problems with them is when there's a sale and they can't handle the load, partially from a mass of people calling them to ask, "where's my order?", and them being unable to control how many devices they get per week from BlackBerry. Basically, BlackBerry offers a sale and ship to them the same amount of devices per week that they normally would when there's no sale.

I've ordered from them for both BlackBerry and Razer products, during and not during sales. They've always delivered, sometimes within the week, sometimes later due to lack of stock. One time, I bought just prior to a price drop and they credited the difference because I was within the 30 day return window. The credit appeared after a few weeks on the credit card, and that's normal, as it's the credit card that causes the delay, not the vendor.

One person on CrackBerry had a major fit, saying that they wanted a credit card on file if he would not return the device first. He wanted them to ship him a new device and /then/ he would return the RMA'ed device. Guess what? It's standard practice to request a credit card when they ship you something and you're not returning the RMA'ed device first. Even Apple's lauded customer service does this!
    10-05-16 06:13 PM