I wasn't going to buy one, but instead put a deposit on one or to actually see how can I put a deposit. Walked into the store and I approached the sales rep, how can I put a deposit on a Passport for October 31 delivery to which he replied back "we have it in stock". At this point, on the inside, I knew I became poorer. Turns out they had received a few just today and the majority of them were accounted for. Long story short I ended up buying it outright.

I was on my lunch break so I was going to go back to the office and open it up. Got a call for an urgent meeting so I sadly tucked the box away in the car and proceeded to work. FINALLY I got home...

I grabbed the box and approached my mom who was in the kitchen and I told her "are you ready? your're going to be shocked". As I slowly opened up the box (and I had not seen it in person before that) thinking I was going to shock my mom, I ended up shocking myself. My mom instantly put her hand on her mouth as soon as she saw it as in what on earth is this? For those who said they didn't think it was too big, seriously? It shocked the heck out of me with its size!

Started toying around with it but I was still very uncomfortable as the phone was barely responding. The screen was not responsive at all and it took many touches to tap anything and even a quick on/off using the power button for it to respond. I finally got through the setup menu and I started exploring, but there was something not right. I felt the screen calibration was extremely off, the corners were not responding, the settings swipe down was not responding, and even worse? I couldn't restart the phone as the button was not working! Moreover, typing on the keyboard was impossible, every button I type on the top row activated the touch row on top; it was a disaster and I thought there is no way I will get used to this and buyers remorse kicked in.

Eventually I managed to restart it hoping it would fix it, but no cigar. I ran out to my carrier and grabbed a nano sim card and came back home, put it in there, and I got a prompt for a software update. Did the update in hope it would resolve my issues...and lo and behold it did!

Phone took a while to boot but when it did, it was flying! Everything felt normal again and everything became responsive again. To say I was relieved would be an understatement. I instantly fell in love with it and the large screen size is something else, something like you've never seen before..absolutely magnificent! I still am uncomfortable typing on the Passport coming from a Q10 but I feel it will take some time.

Sorry for the long post but I felt I needed to share my initial experience. I will keep exploring and toying around and if you have any questions I will be more than glad to help!
    10-22-14 02:52 PM
    Thank you for the story. The more of these that appear the more inclined I become to try the phone. As soon as we can buy one in the States my money is going right to the seller.
    thedose likes this.
    10-22-14 03:13 PM
    Long story... made a perfect companion on my expresso coffee break.

Let us know how your experience unfolds

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 03:27 PM
    Damn the start of it really scared me ! It's a bit weird it acted like this...maybe it was cold :P

Damn I can't wait for the Passport to be available in my country as well as to be White ! I want the white version so much -it's so hard to not get the black one while waiting :/

Tell us what you think about the phone after a couple days of usage :P
    10-22-14 03:55 PM
    Thank you for the story. The more of these that appear the more inclined I become to try the phone. As soon as we can buy one in the States my money is going right to the seller.
    You can buy one in the States. Amazon.com or ShopBlackBerry.com.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 03:59 PM
    The size really stands out at first but honestly the more you use it the better. I'm on day 2 with this beast and it's becoming more and more comfortable to hold and type on.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 04:10 PM
    OP, I'm curious to know if you had removed the screen protector that came with it off the bat or if you were using the phone with it still on? I have gone through two Passports now (one full price that I got rid of and one discounted from ShopBB) and what I will say is that the screen protector that is on the phone (which is absolutely meant to be removed) actually negatively impacts the screens responsiveness for swiping and tapping.

What I think happened to you is what happened to me. Restarting it did not make the screen work better but I think through your use you were actually subconsciously adapting to what speed and how much pressure and how much contact to make with the screen in order for it to respond.

With that screen protector off the screen is buttery smooth and ultra responsive.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 04:14 PM
    OP, I'm curious to know if you had removed the screen protector that came with it off the bat or if you were using the phone with it still on? I have gone through two Passports now (one full price that I got rid of and one discounted from ShopBB) and what I will say is that the screen protector that is on the phone (which is absolutely meant to be removed) actually negatively impacts the screens responsiveness for swiping and tapping.

What I think happened to you is what happened to me. Restarting it did not make the screen work better but I think through your use you were actually subconsciously adapting to what speed and how much pressure and how much contact to make with the screen in order for it to respond.

With that screen protector off the screen is buttery smooth and ultra responsive.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with this after unboxing two Passports. The interesting thing is that if you just keep sliding your finger around the screen protector film, eventually it actually works fine. I wonder how many people have returned their device after having such a negative first impression due to this.

Also it should force a user to do the initial "mandatory" upgrade, because it does address a lot of issues.

Posted via CB10
    grevan88 likes this.
    10-22-14 05:22 PM
    I'm experiencing the same touch screen problem. The corner doesn't respond very well. I have updated the os but still having touch screen issues.

Which os do you have OP? I'm on 10.3.0.1154

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 06:06 PM
    i love mine
    10-22-14 08:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lol ! I do agree with that screen protector thing as I had left mine on initially and thought my passport was quite unresponsive on the first day I was using it.Removing this transport screen made helluva difference and BB should add a little sticker on this plastic shield for users to remove it once they start using their new passport.
    grevan88 likes this.
    10-22-14 08:12 PM
    It's not a screen protector.... it's a piece of film that you are supposed to remove before you use the device.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 08:36 PM
    It's not a screen protector.... it's a piece of film that you are supposed to remove before you use the device.

Posted via CB10
    lol... still serves to "protect the screen", so technically it is a screen protector.

Posted via CB10
    grevan88 likes this.
    10-22-14 09:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    The screen protector was not the issue, I can guarantee you that! For example when I hold down the power button so I can push the restart button, it would not register the restart button no matter how much pressure I applied, or even where I applied it. The swipe down menu was completely unresponsive and once it did eventually swipe down, the "settings" button would not respond. Equally, the "settings" icon on the app grid would not respond either so surely there was something corrupted somewhere, somehow. The phone transformed instantly after the update. Moreover, I've used it a full day today with the screen protector on and it ran flawless and the sensitivity is one of the best I've used on a phone.

I'm experiencing the same touch screen problem. The corner doesn't respond very well. I have updated the os but still having touch screen issues.

Which os do you have OP? I'm on 10.3.0.1154

Posted via CB10
    OS version 10.3.0.1418

DAY 1 UPDATE

What I liked:

1- Battery: despite being the first day, I unplugged the device at 6:30 AM and by the time I left office at 5:30 PM I was at 69% with light to moderate usage

2- Screen real estate: I was in a meeting and I was basically asked to pull up an Excel sheet and read a few emails. Life is so much easier when you have a wide screen. It really makes things much easier and pleasant to use. I felt that I really did not need to have my laptop on me.

3- Keyboard Swiping: I have both a Q10 and a Z10 so I'm familiar with the Z10's keyboard swipes. I did however miss them when I changed over to the Q10. Now with the Passport? I have both and I instantly started using the swipe gestures as if I've been using the phone for months.

What I'm not used to:

1- Size: This breaks down into a few points. First I got in my car and I did not know where to place my phone. Previously, all my phones went into the cup holder but there is no way the Passport is fitting in there. I ended up placing it on the seat next to me as I didn't want to place it in a compartment where it will get banged/scratched up. I certainly need a holder of some sort.

Putting it in the pocket is non-issue. I did however struggle to get it out of my dress pants a few times and I can easily see myself dropping it if I don't pay attention. Keep in mind that I intentionally chose to wear my tightest dress pants today.

I'm also used to carrying my phone a lot in my hand as I walk around, and I do mean a lot. This habit definitely needs to be dropped unless I want to constantly walk around using both my hands to carry my Passport because while I find one handed operation is possible, one hand "holding" is not. I feel I will struggle in that department as this habit has been with me forever.

2- Screen: I'm around 75% brightness and I feel that if I set it to anything below that the colors look washed out, and I hate that. If I crank the brightness to 100% the colors become very vibrant, but I'm not sure the battery will like it at 100%. I don't know what is going on here so maybe someone can explain. The Facebook application header can be used as an example.

Coming from a Q10 I feel that the Passport is exactly what I was missing.
    10-23-14 10:58 AM