Hi all, so I got my new red passport today. Single tape, great condition, great key travel, perfect screen, no dead pixels... obviously brand new.

When I tried to turn it on, completely dead.

Build date is December 20th 2014.

I remember reading somewhere that when a phone is stored it should be stored at about 50% otherwise the battery degrades fast!

Should I be worried that the battery will be less than full capacity from the get go and its life not as good as one that would have been charged half way?

Not sure if I should replace while is still all wrapped up.

Grrrrr

Thanks for helping.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Victor_GoldenAce likes this.
    05-08-15 06:18 PM
    How did you find out that it doesn't have any dead pixels?

Posted via the amazing 'Red' BlackBerry Passport
    05-08-15 06:22 PM
    Hi all, so I got my new red passport today. Single tape, great condition, great key travel, perfect screen, no dead pixels... obviously brand new.

When I tried to turn it on, completely dead.

Build date is December 20th 2014.

I remember reading somewhere that when a phone is stored it should be stored at about 50% otherwise the battery degrades fast!

Should I be worried that the battery will be less than full capacity from the get go and its life not as good as one that would have been charged half way?

Grrrrr

Thanks for helping.

Ι don't believe that there will be any battery degradation because of this.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    Victor_GoldenAce likes this.
    05-08-15 06:27 PM
    Plugged it in that's how I checked pixels. What does everyone think?

05-08-15 06:36 PM
    I think it'll be fine, but you should keep an eye on it just to be sure

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 06:48 PM
    Plugged it in that's how I checked pixels. What does everyone think?

]

Haha. This made me think that you dint plug it in.

Posted via the amazing 'Red' BlackBerry Passport
    05-08-15 06:50 PM
    This quote from am article on modern phone batteries had me worried:

" 4: Avoid completely discharging lithium-ion batteries

If a lithium-ion battery is discharged below 2.5 volts per cell, a safety circuit built into the battery opens and the battery appears to be dead. The original charger will be of no use. Only battery analyzers with the boost function have a chance of recharging the battery.

Also, for safety reasons, do not recharge deeply discharged lithium-ion batteries if they have been stored in that condition for several months."

And

" 5: For extended storage, discharge a lithium-ion battery to about 40 percent and store it in a cool place

I've always had an extra battery for my notebook, but it would never last as long as the original battery. I know now that it's because I was storing the battery fully charged. That means oxidation of lithium-ion is at its highest rate. Storing lithium-ion batteries at 40 percent discharge and in the refrigerator (not freezer) is recommended"

Y oh why when I finally got what seems like a physically perfect passport do I get this.

05-08-15 06:52 PM
    Here's more on that...

Dont Leave the Battery At 0%

You shouldnt leave the battery in a fully discharged state for very long. Ideally, the battery wouldnt discharge all the way to zero very often but if it does, you should recharge it as soon as possible. You dont have to race to a power outlet when your smartphone dies, but dont throw it in your drawer and leave it there for weeks without charging it. If you let the battery discharge completely and leave your device in a closet, the battery may become incapable of holding a charge at all, dying completely.

Store Batteries at 50% Charge

On the other hand, leaving the battery charged fully for an extended period of time could result in a loss of capacity and shorten its life. Ideally, youd store the battery at 50% charge if you werent going to use it for a while.*Apple recommends*you leave the battery at 50% if you intend on storing the device more than six months. If youre using it regularly, you shouldnt need to worry about its state although you never want to leave a battery at 0% for too long.

Storing the battery while fully discharged could result in the battery dying completely, while storing the battery at full charge could result in the loss of some battery capacity and shorten your batterys life.

This applies to both batteries in devices and spare batteries you may have lying around keep them at 50% if you wont be using them for some time.

05-08-15 06:57 PM
    The best thing you can do is use your passport like you normally would and give it a couple of weeks

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 07:04 PM
    I just got mine today too, the battery was dead on arrival. I don't think its anything to worry about.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 08:32 PM
    I got another problem with the battery. Anyone knows where I can collect a brand new lithium-ion battery for PassPort?
    Thanks
    05-08-15 08:37 PM
    Stop being a gadget hypochondriac. Enjoy your phone.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    05-09-15 04:30 AM
    Stop being a gadget hypochondriac. Enjoy your phone.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    Best response LOL. I'm actually a hypochondriac in real life. Never thought of it that way.

Red BlackBerry Passport
    05-09-15 10:02 AM
    Nothing to worry about.
    05-09-15 11:54 AM
    Unbox said device
    Plug it in to charge to 100%
    Unplug it and use it till the battery is around 15-20%
    Enjoy your life and your new BlackBerry

05-09-15 12:54 PM
    May I ask how you find the build date, want to check mine...
    05-11-15 09:18 AM
    I recommend the basa app and use BBVE app to make sure every hardware component is functional.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 09:20 AM