Hey guys

I just traded up from a Z10 to the Rogers Passport last Friday, and I absolutely love it.

I have run into a few little issues here and there and I think I have them resolved. One thing I have known about the Passport is the battery life. It is 10000x better than my Z10 was. But doing a lot of reading and research before I picked up the phone, and was reading about how long the battery life actually is.

I'm getting about 8-10hrs of moderate usage on my Passport, and since picking up the Z10 and installing updates, I know you are supposed to give it a few days to more or less calm down and settle into the new usage, and I have given my passport 5 days and the battery still drains at a decent rate, but am making it about 8-10hrs give or take before tossing it on the charger.

How do you guys with great battery life condition your phone to last that long? I have 3 email accounts, facebook and Linkedin running and I have Blaq running and pulling at the longest interval of 1hr between pulls. Screen brightness is around 20% and I'm on Rogers and have dropped from LTE to 4G to save battery life.

Any other tips or tricks would be great. I have OS 10.3.1.2576 (10.3.1.1779) installed
    04-30-15 10:13 AM
    Hi Mercury,

I have a similar-ish setup to you on my Passport (more email accounts, but don't have Blaq) and I usually get a good 40 hours out of my Passport before the dreaded 20% Battery Life message pops up (and the screen dims). By 40 hours, I mean from 7am Monday morning through to 11pm Tuesday evening, when the Passport will go back on charge for the night (eg I usually only charge the Passport every other night).

Three things that noticeably diminish my Passport's battery life are:
    • being somewhere with no, or hardly any, signal (eg an afternoon at my mother's rural farm with a very intermittent signal, and then at best, only 1 bar)
    • having location services turned on
    • some Android apps

Silly question - have you done a 'hard reset' or two since: you last did a software upgrade, and/or were running some dodgy Android apps?

Note: I find that an overnight charge gives me much more battery life, than a two hour charge that says the battery is back up to 100%....
    04-30-15 10:22 AM
    Thanks, if you are talking about a hard reset but holding the volume buttons until the BlackBerry logo appears, i have done that.

I had to have my Z10 plugged in all day to make sure i had sufficient battery when i had to be away from my desk and needed my phone for a period longer than an hour. My passport on the other hand I don't have to worry about that. So i have only been charging at night so far.

Posted via my Passport
    04-30-15 10:53 AM
    New Passport and battery life-img_20150430_231248.png

Getting 8-10 hours is about right. I'm 12 hours after my last charge and I'm left with 15%.

I will get more than this only if my PIM services and whatsapp is less than 2% usage. Oh, i didnt use 4g/lte, i just used 3g because it's sufficient.
    04-30-15 11:17 AM
    Getting more than 24 hours of battery life is impossible if u're a heavy user like me. When i mean heavy, it means seldom putting ur phone into ur pocket because it rings every few seconds and minutes due to emails/messaging apps.

That's why, I'm so impressed and happy that i can get at least 12 hours with passport. Before this model, i couldn't even last 6 hours.

Don't compare with those people who said the phone can last more than 24 hours because I'm quite sure their usage isn't heavy at all.
    04-30-15 11:38 AM
    Ok awesome.

So I'm right in the ballpark then
    New Passport and battery life-img_20150430_115228.png
    New Passport and battery life-img_20150430_115315.png

Posted via my Passport
    04-30-15 11:53 AM
    From the start my Passport goes like a rocket. I get easy 30 to 36 hours before the battery level reach the 20%
    I run 3 email accounts who comes all directly to outlook
    Facebook, whatsapp, lindekin, running to.
    I have 5 android apps that only running when I start them.
    From the beginning I was on 10.3.2.xxx
    I'm not a heavy user during the day, but after work I use my Passport more then my pc to browse, email, ...

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 12:54 PM
    I'm always on my phone, stream music on 4G for about 4hours per day while connected to my car bluetooth and I can go about 15-18 hours on a charge.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 01:37 PM
    A high utilization of PIM Services kinda looks like your Passport is catching up with Emails loading contacts and calendar entries. I am running two email accounts with one of them being on Exchange.

My PIM services are one digit numbers at max. Keep an eye on this.

FWIW

 Posted via CB10 from my Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-30-15 01:46 PM
    A high utilization of PIM Services kinda looks like your Passport is catching up with Emails loading contacts and calendar entries. I am running two email accounts with one of them being on Exchange.

My PIM services are one digit numbers at max. Keep an eye on this.

FWIW

 Posted via CB10 from my Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    how do you cut down PIm services?
    I thought that there is nothing that u can do about it.
    Mine is always high.
    Right now memory usage is PIM 144MB and System 371MB
    04-30-15 06:06 PM
    how do you cut down PIm services?
    I thought that there is nothing that u can do about it.
    Mine is always high.
    Right now memory usage is PIM 144MB and System 371MB
    No idea how you can get the PIM Services down.... The only time my PIM Services gets really high is just after an OS Update, when it has previously climbed to > 20%

My PIM is currently (very late in the evening) at: 7% - it rarely gets higher than 12% (except immediately after an OS update) - PIM memory usage is 120MB (and system usage is 445MB).
    Phone currently has 3 email accounts (1 POP3, 1 IMAP, & 1 Exchange corporate account), which all do calendar appointments as well as mail - Monday to Friday I currently receive 500-700 emails per day. (I used to have a bundle more client Exchange accounts on the phone but these got removed a few weeks ago - I haven't noticed any difference in Passport performance since they've been removed).
    Also have the usual WhatsApp, Facebook, LinkedIn, Yahoo Messenger, Twitter, BBM, and application accounts (which don't generate many messages).

I don't suffer from any lag using the phone either....

Was wondering which OS version you are using?
    04-30-15 09:14 PM
    No idea how you can get the PIM Services down.... The only time my PIM Services gets really high is just after an OS Update, when it has previously climbed to > 20%

My PIM is currently (very late in the evening) at: 7% - it rarely gets higher than 12% (except immediately after an OS update) - PIM memory usage is 120MB (and system usage is 445MB).
    Phone currently has 3 email accounts (1 POP3, 1 IMAP, & 1 Exchange corporate account), which all do calendar appointments as well as mail - Monday to Friday I currently receive 500-700 emails per day. (I used to have a bundle more client Exchange accounts on the phone but these got removed a few weeks ago - I haven't noticed any difference in Passport performance since they've been removed).
    Also have the usual WhatsApp, Facebook, LinkedIn, Yahoo Messenger, Twitter, BBM, and application accounts (which don't generate many messages).

I don't suffer from any lag using the phone either....

Was wondering which OS version you are using?
    I am using 10.3.1.2576
    05-04-15 06:17 PM