Is the camera on the Passport at least as good as the one on the Q10?

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    Yes, it's better.
    06-18-18 09:44 AM
    Me too. The Passport camera is not great. My colleague has a Samsung and his photos were beautiful - the colours so vivid.

I would never buy the Passport for the camera!
    There are several things at play here. One is the display, you could take the same image from the same camera on both phones and it would likely look different.
    The other is definition of good / best. Most consumers love this vivid, saturated images, but that doesn't mean it is an accurate rendition of the world. In fact most consumer TV's have default settings with everything cranked up because most people assume that image that really 'pops' at you is better. That's what sells.
    I have seen many pictures my friends send me from their Samsung and I'm not even noticing colour or sharpness because the distortion is so bad.

Passport camera is very good in my comparison to various iPhones and 'droids that I have around. I've taken stacks of phones around to get the same image at the same time and generally the BlackBerry returns a pretty reasonable image, close to what my eyes see.
    I would never, in 2018, base my phone decision on the camera at all. You'd have to work to find a phone with unacceptable image quality these days.
    06-18-18 03:12 PM
    You'd have to work to find a phone with unacceptable image quality these days.
    Depends on your definition of "unacceptable." As far as I'm concerned, no phone has acceptable image quality. 1.6x crop is really the minimum acceptable sensor size for me.
    06-18-18 04:12 PM
    Depends on your definition of "unacceptable." As far as I'm concerned, no phone has acceptable image quality. 1.6x crop is really the minimum acceptable sensor size for me.
    That's harsh man.... Most likely youre a pixel peeper then.... There's so much more to a photo than sensor size and megapixel...

To say camera phones these days is unacceptable is very dramatic
    06-18-18 04:32 PM
    That's harsh man.... Most likely youre a pixel peeper then.... There's so much more to a photo than sensor size and megapixel...

To say camera phones these days is unacceptable is very dramatic
    Right, there's high-ISO performance and dynamic range (that's a HUGE one) for a start. Show me a phone that can take RAW photos with at least 10 stops of dynamic range.

If I have no latitude while editing photos, what good is the camera to me?
    06-18-18 04:52 PM
    Right, there's high-ISO performance and dynamic range (that's a HUGE one) for a start. Show me a phone that can take RAW photos with at least 10 stops of dynamic range.

If I have no latitude while editing photos, what good is the camera to me?
    Dude youre talking as if you're trying to do someone's wedding with it.... Wrong tool for the job... Also sounds like someones edit dependant... Shoot in more even light then...
    06-18-18 04:56 PM
    Hi
    Received my new passport today which replaces my dying P9881
    Must say I'm well chuffed so far!! What a device

Posted via CB10
    Congrats! I have mine by four years and I just spended a little amount of money to replace the keyboard, cause I still loving it. I think you will be in love to it by years.
    06-18-18 10:36 PM
    Typing this on my Passport, giving my Keyone a day off.

Yes the Passport is a tank of design and construction, nobody will deny that. I can still make phone calls, surf the web, send messages and listen to music on the great speakers. Yes some apps still work well too!

But really why waste the time arguing as if they are suddenly going to revive BB10 and build more Passports. You have a Passport that you are using, great, just as I am using mine right now.

The OS is EOL and not coming back and slowly but surely the Passport will disappear from use. To argue about this is assinine. I have a car that is 13 years old and I'm gonna keep it for as long as it keeps running, without the 17 inch display and self driving and smart controls but as long as my old car fills my needs I will keep driving it until I can afford to go electric. The point being that yes indeed my car will eventually be EOL just surely the Passport will be as well.

Stop the bickering and enjoy the phones you are using for whatever needs you have.

Passport. SQW100-1 OS 10.3.3.2163
    06-18-18 10:52 PM
    Not yet. I saw a "refurbished" 100-3 on amazon. Sent email to vendor asking three things. IS it a 100-3? Was a new battery installed or is it years old? Last, what's the warranty? I included both the full link from the item plus the amazon asin stock number. 2 days after I sent the email I got a form email asking for the asin & the link! I wrote back complaining that they OBVIOUSLY didn't read the email and re-stated the same questions. It's been 3 more days, no response. I keep seeing new Passports but always 100-1 or 100-4.... frustrating!

Not sure if it has to be from amazon. I found plenty listed on ebay. Link is below. Real fast, you at looking for the at&t version, right?

https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=...port+stw-100-3

Posted via CB10
    06-19-18 12:28 AM
    Hi folks,
    I just bought two passport, one new out of the box from a German retailer for just 119€. The second was used (just two month old) for 80€.
    I am so amazed about the passport. I am a smartphone user from the first beginning in 1997 and I had it all but was so bored in the meantime from the same design and happy to have now the blackberry.
    Glad to be here and to found Crackberry :-)

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 and mr_poobah like this.
    06-19-18 01:39 PM
    Hi folks,
    I just bought two passport, one new out of the box from a German retailer for just 119€. The second was used (just two month old) for 80€.
    I am so amazed about the passport. I am a smartphone user from the first beginning in 1997 and I had it all but was so bored in the meantime from the same design and happy to have now the blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    Welcome and enjoy the Passport!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    06-23-18 02:41 PM
    There are several things at play here. One is the display, you could take the same image from the same camera on both phones and it would likely look different.
    The other is definition of good / best. Most consumers love this vivid, saturated images, but that doesn't mean it is an accurate rendition of the world. In fact most consumer TV's have default settings with everything cranked up because most people assume that image that really 'pops' at you is better. That's what sells.
    I have seen many pictures my friends send me from their Samsung and I'm not even noticing colour or sharpness because the distortion is so bad.

Passport camera is very good in my comparison to various iPhones and 'droids that I have around. I've taken stacks of phones around to get the same image at the same time and generally the BlackBerry returns a pretty reasonable image, close to what my eyes see.
    I would never, in 2018, base my phone decision on the camera at all. You'd have to work to find a phone with unacceptable image quality these days.
    Finally someone who speaks out of my mind thanks for that post & also check out some of my images on instagram shot on my passport using #shotonablackberry !

Posted via CB10
    06-23-18 06:31 PM
    Hi folks,

Posted via CB10
    Welcome Aboard!

Posted via CB10
    06-24-18 03:31 AM

Thanks for the explanation. I agree, personally I wouldn't base my phone decision on the camera either. My camera doesn't focus that well anymore but maybe I have too many photos in my camera feed.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    06-24-18 07:17 AM
    Not sure if it has to be from amazon. I found plenty listed on ebay. Link is below. Real fast, you at looking for the at&t version, right?

https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=...port+stw-100-3

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I want to get the wireless Qi charging so I don't destroy the micro USB port like my last few devices due to needing frequent charging from heavy use! Even if it's slow I think it'll be an improvement. Thanks, I'll Check out the link!

06-25-18 06:39 AM
    Yes, I want to get the wireless Qi charging so I don't destroy the micro USB port like my last few devices due to needing frequent charging from heavy use! Even if it's slow I think it'll be an improvement. Thanks, I'll Check out the link!

That's only with the AT&T branded version I believe. Someone else may be able to confirm.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-18 07:22 AM

Yeah but then you also have to make sure that the wireless charging doesn't heat up as that shortens the lifespan of the battery
    06-25-18 09:12 AM
    Sorry, but wireless charging is a gimmick for me.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-18 01:52 AM

Can’t verify speed of wireless charging. I’ve never used that feature. It may have improved in newer generations of phones, however, three years ago, I wasn’t interested with being a crash test dummy.
    06-27-18 05:16 AM
    Can’t verify speed of wireless charging. I’ve never used that feature. It may have improved in newer generations of phones, however, three years ago, I wasn’t interested with being a crash test dummy.
    Speed is one thing, heat causing wear on the battery is another
    06-27-18 05:34 AM
    Speed is one thing, heat causing wear on the battery is another
    So if I use Qi wireless charging I trade away from the extra wear on the microUSB port but overheat the battery?? Is this a Passport issue? I see a large number of new android phones brag about compatibility with wireless, and constantly see wireless home & car chargers for sale...
    07-18-18 05:47 PM
    I despise Google and its practices. I find their data collection unethical and immoral and frightening. It would pain me to participate in them. Probably a lot of BB10 holdouts feel the same way.

You can make an argument that BB10 is not really "Blackberry" but it doesn't work. The Android app capability is an added feature, but hardly makes it Android.

I have read enough about BB's Android effort to know that I would feel a let down using that version of the Hub and might dispense with it altogether. Also, I know that the KeyOne form factor would be way too long to carry comfortably, and the Priv was pokey on release and probably pokier now. (The best solution for me is to carry a slim Android device and just use it when I can't avoid it for certain social apps or entertainment apps. It's as far as I will go with Google watching me.)

It's the focus on communications (the Hub), the look and feel and the build quality of the devices that define it as Blackberry. BES or BIS doesn't shape how most users relate to their devices.
    For me BB10 is the only Os I trust and like. Android meh.
    Attached Thumbnails New passport-img_20161107_200253_hdr.jpg  
    07-18-18 06:48 PM
147 ... 456