Hi all,

Just got my new BlackBerry Passport SE! First time user to BB (coming from iOS)!

The phone rebooted while I was setting up the pre-loaded Box app. Is this something I should be concern about or some settings I should check?

The phone ran pretty warm during first 48 hours, but now it runs cool. Did the heat caused the phone to reboot?

By the way, the phone updated itself to the latest BB OS 10 during the first stages of setup.

Overall, loving the Passport SE!

Cheers.
    12-04-15 09:13 PM
    I wouldn't worry about it. All devices get warm on setup. I think you've just experienced a glitch with the Box app. Enjoy your SE, it's awesome.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-15 10:45 PM
    If it reboots its hardware was damaged. It's up to you whether to live with it or apply for replacement.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    12-05-15 07:40 AM
    If it reboots its hardware was damaged.

Seriously? You deduce that from the OP,s post not a

"Watch it and see if it happens again?

Passport SQW100-4 10.3.2.2474
    12-05-15 08:18 AM
    Seriously? You deduce that from the OP,s post not a

"Watch it and see if it happens again?

I've post my opinion in a few similar threads (search for 'restart' or 'reboot') here the essential points:

If a system reboots unexpectedly, one can naturally think of three possible causes, failure in apps, bug in OS, and fault in hardware. In BB10 (and many other OS running in protected mode of the CPU) apps have no privileges to reboot. BB10 is a _micro kernel_ system, which means that very few codes belong to the kernel (which is the only part having the necessary privileges). Most device drivers, for instance, do not belong to the kernel, so from the privilege viewpoint, they are apps. BB10 is based on QNX a well- and long-proven, very reliable system that was designed to run continuously and every single accidental reboot can be an untolerable security incident (read: a total mission failure). So, no, it doesn't. BB10 doesn't reboot by itself.

Then there remains only one possible cause. Faulty hardware.

Since reboot is caused by hardware damage, reboots are typically random and frequency and exact location/circumstance of the reboot is immaterial.

P/S. Overheating as suggested by the OP can be a legit cause. Actually I think it is the most probable cause of temporary/permanent damages in the memory.

12-05-15 09:26 PM
    Latest update is that it hasn't rebooted since that one off event.

Also the phone is running cool now. The first 48 hours were warm and hot.

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-15 11:25 PM
    I have had a random reboot whilst clicking on a site on my Z10 it was well documented, Techbuffalo? I think

Happened once in 2.5yrs *shrugs* my point being though I am not as tech savvy as you, it just seemed a random event?

Nevertheless glad OP got it sorted

12-06-15 09:51 AM