Hi guys

I am hoping to buy the new BB passport. I am not a heavy user. Emailing, surfing,texting, maybe watching a youtube video or so is all I do. Yes listen to loads of music. I quite like the look of the passport . Currently using a Samsung note 3 and very bored by the linearity of the samsung products. Was wondering if someone has recently migrated to BB passport, what their views are?

Please advise.

Thanks
    10-14-14 03:11 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!

You've asked a loaded question. Physically, the Passport is very slightly wider, but shorter. It has a sharper screen. But those are minor.

You would have to accept that you'be be losing the full Google Play experience (but still able to get many Android apps).

On the other hand, the keyboard (IMHO) is super. And I've just moved from a Z30 to the Passport.

You really need to get one in your hands to know for sure. Some like it, some don't.
    radman004 likes this.
    10-14-14 03:19 PM
    I had a Note 3 a few months ago, then Q10 and now the passport...

I liked the note 3 and am a big fan of the android OS - beautiful experience all the apps you could ever need and just all around a good product. But like you got bored and was looking for something new. There were many times where I wanted to smash my note 3 against the wall due to the stupid autocorrect or other limitations of the virtual keyboard.

If you migrate, make sure you install Snap right away so you can get your fav apps from the Google play store. I use maybe 20 apps in total and maybe 5 or so regularly. I don't care for facebook or other social media apps, but they all work for the most part on the BlackBerry passport. A few apps that don't I have found work around for or the glitch is just not that important....

Two of those apps are KaoKao talk and Mindbody express. On the first the audio notifications don't work consistently and on the second it doesn't properly integrate into my calendar for workout reminders.

When I had the note 3 I used to fumble with it more than I do with the passport. I think it was a bit too tall and I could almost reach some places on the screen, and don't notice myself doing that on the passport, but could certainly be a placebo effect.

Feel wise I like the heavier BlackBerry rather than the note. The steel sides are awesome.

User interface is much much better with the swiping everywhere. Once you get used to it, you gonna start swiping at everything (ipads, androids, iphones) and curse at it for not working.... still happens on my ipad all the time. Swipe to wake, Damn it, not working... ok swipe to go to home screen, Damn it again....etc.

To be honest I am one of those ppl that laughed when they first saw the passport and thought "what an fugly POS" - now I get why they released a device like this (work wide truly is a breath of fresh air).

I think the psychological problem stems from the 16:9 ratio, due to the fact that most scenes video content gain very little through vertical extension, but gain significantly more through horizontal expansion. That doesn't exist on a device that is about 5" in size. Your gain through horizontal / vertical aspect ratio of 1:1 is more than 16:9 device flipped sideways. I think it has to do with how your mind perceives information in most situations.

So to summarize for you, there are some quirks to work out but all in all I am very happy to be back on the BlackBerry bandwagon... I think you will enjoy it as much if not more than your note 3...
    10-14-14 03:47 PM
    Hi,
    I have been using my Passport for two weeks now. I had no way to try it out before getting one (not yet being sold in my country), but I have no regrets. It is an amazing device. The speed on it is phenomenal, battery life, blend, screen size and detail... The list goes on... But I would not advise to depend the opinions of others. It is wide, like really wide. I personally like that a lot, but I'm not sure if it is for everyone.
    To be honest I'd like to tell you "its the best thing! Go get it!", but don't want to be responsible if you don't like it

Posted via CB10
    radman004 likes this.
    10-14-14 03:56 PM
    Doing the same...tired of riding the iOS/Android hamster wheel. Gonna go back to the Berry, it's time.
    radman004 likes this.
    10-14-14 04:11 PM
    User interface is much much better with the swiping everywhere. Once you get used to it, you gonna start swiping at everything (ipads, androids, iphones) and curse at it for not working.... still happens on my ipad all the time. Swipe to wake, Damn it, not working... ok swipe to go to home screen, Damn it again....etc.
    LOL... so very true.

Posted via CB10
    radman004 likes this.
    10-14-14 05:21 PM
    I've tried every flagship you can imagine in the past year. Name it. I've had it. I am a phone *****. Nothing has impressed me as much as the Passport. It is designed beautifully, very solid, and looks like nothing else. I'm bored with the rounded rectangular design of all iOs or Android device. The UI experience of android or iOs is monotonous and bland. IMO anyway. The PP is a communication powerhouse. No children please. This is for big boys and girls. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    radman004 likes this.
    10-14-14 05:56 PM
    I've been a huge android user but like most people here got tired of the same old device every year. I bought the Passport blind and I can honestly say its my favorite phone in a long time. The weight takes some getting used to but other than that this phone is amazing.
    radman004 likes this.
    10-14-14 06:18 PM