01-19-22 10:13 AM
    Read the article! What else will 5G interfere with?
    Last edited by boogywstew; 01-19-22 at 10:28 AM.
    01-19-22 10:15 AM
    Lol. The issue isn't with 5G per se, it's the frequencies used in the US, along with the lack of other mitigating efforts. But even still, this article is way overblown.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada...x-it-1.5745217
    Last edited by conite; 01-19-22 at 10:37 AM.
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    01-19-22 10:21 AM
    Read the article! What else will 5G interfere with?
    Well... assume a given that it will fall on "we the owners of airwave space" to find out? VZW and FCC obviously won't.
    01-19-22 10:34 AM
    WTF is "eturbonews"? I'm not clicking on a link to what is most likely a crazy conspiracy theory site.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-19-22 10:35 AM
    good ole clickbait article
    Thud Hardsmack and ppeters914 like this.
    01-19-22 10:35 AM
    Should I run a virus scan after visiting that site? Lol.
    howarmat and ppeters914 like this.
    01-19-22 10:38 AM
    Should I run a virus scan after visiting that site? Lol.
    Probably after reading that post.
    01-19-22 10:44 AM
    Probably after reading that post.
    Great. Clicked on it in a "momentarily moronic moment". Ug. Any recommendations for virus scan?

That isn't to make total lite of the radio altimeter 5G band C "conflict". FCC's job is to mediate such conflicts. Expecting the world's aviation industry to mitigate an airwave conflict carriers apparently generated seems an FCC failure? Somehow someway?
    01-19-22 10:53 AM
    Great. Clicked on it in a "momentarily moronic moment". Ug. Any recommendations for virus scan?

That isn't to make total lite of the radio altimeter 5G band C "conflict". FCC's job is to mediate such conflicts. Expecting the world's aviation industry to mitigate an airwave conflict carriers apparently generated seems an FCC failure? Somehow someway?
    I dont think the website actually infected you. The material it spreads however will lol
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-19-22 10:55 AM

I haven’t had a need for anything stronger than Windows Defender so I’m not up to speed on what’s best anymore, Webroot was what I was using previously.
    01-19-22 10:59 AM
    My concern would be if 5G service has to be restricted from being deployed around airports are hospitals and acute care centers' patient treatment and diagnostic equipment susceptible? What about various electronic equipment in newer cars and trucks? Will potentially dangerous equipment like printing presses, lathes, drill presses etc. now stop or start without warning?
    Who HERE, including me, would have thought an airliners' brakes might stop working due to 5G interference?
    The BIG issue is how did certain airports, or political entities already address this issue, and many have not?
    AND again ... if this minor issue escaped the powers that be, what else might they have missed? It'll be hilarious until YOUR car's brakes fail and you plow into your hometown's sewage treatment plant the weekend after their big chili eating contest.
    "... human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!"
    bh7171 likes this.
    01-19-22 11:00 AM
    My concern would be if 5G service has to be restricted from being deployed around airports are hospitals and acute care centers' patient treatment and diagnostic equipment susceptible? What about various electronic equipment in newer cars and trucks? Will potentially dangerous equipment like printing presses, lathes, drill presses etc. now stop or start without warning?
    Who HERE, including me, would have thought an airliners' brakes might stop working due to 5G interference?
    The BIG issue is how did certain airports, or political entities already address this issue, and many have not?
    AND again ... if this minor issue escaped the powers that be, what else might they have missed? It'll be hilarious until YOUR car's brakes fail and you plow into your hometown's sewage treatment plant the weekend after their big chili eating contest.
    "... human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!"
    Lol, MUCH of my work involves cnc lathes, drill presses, mills etc. RF shielding against freq drives etc should have that equipment pretty safe. At least equipment I'm involved with.

Problem with radio altimeter is "shielding" its antennae. They're antennae, after all. Lol.

I'm just amazed that mobile carriers have encroached on obviously preexisting airwave allocations and just expected aviation to step aside and deal with it. ? Aviation TESTS design changes. Which, as with ANY test, might prove need for more refinement and then more testing? I'm just glad VZW isn't FAA. Lol.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-19-22 11:13 AM
    I dont think the website actually infected you. The material it spreads however will lol
    That's the problem, don't know of a way to really search and remove malware once it get's into your brain. I look at what happens with some radicals on both sides of some topics, and it's clear that "malware" can affect people.

I think most of the delays... are airlines trying to understand the 1,500 new restriction the FAA has put in place. It is crazy we are at this point and "it's unclear whether 5G is even an issue for these altimeters". The FAA "thinks" the C-band could be an issue as it's a neighboring airwave or band. But the FCC has already determined that the C-Band would not pose a problem on modern altimeters... I'm not sure what an older altimeter is and how many plans that would affect.

It took years of lobbying and hearings to get the FAA to drop their decades old and unsupported ban on cellphone usage on plans back in 2013.... all because there "could" be some interference of some type.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-19-22 11:21 AM
    The problem here isn't "5G" itself. It's the frequencies that are in the C-band that AT&T and Verizon recently bought that they intended to use to broadcast new 5G signals on.

The idea is to use the C-band (or "mid-band" - in the 3.5 GHz to 4.2 GHz range) as a middle ground between the low bands that cover more area but has generally slow capacity, and the high (millimeter wave) bands that offer really fast capacity, but can only cover short distances and have next to no wall (or even tree) penetrating power. C-bands have better travel and somewhat better penetrating capability than mm-wave bands so phones that work with that band (only the newer models like the iPhone 12 and 13, Samsung S21s and Pixel 6s) will benefit.

Just remember that wi-fi uses 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz for it's use, which is just below and just above that C-band.

It's baffling that the FCC didn't know the commercial aviation use of that same C-band that should have rang alarm bells before they decided to auction off those frequencies.

Or, as Dunt X3 says, they did study it?
    bh7171, brookie229 and ppeters914 like this.
    01-19-22 11:33 AM
    That's the problem, don't know of a way to really search and remove malware once it get's into your brain. I look at what happens with some radicals on both sides of some topics, and it's clear that "malware" can affect people.

I think most of the delays... are airlines trying to understand the 1,500 new restriction the FAA has put in place. It is crazy we are at this point and "it's unclear whether 5G is even an issue for these altimeters". The FAA "thinks" the C-band could be an issue as it's a neighboring airwave or band. But the FCC has already determined that the C-Band would not pose a problem on modern altimeters... I'm not sure what an older altimeter is and how many plans that would affect.

It took years of lobbying and hearings to get the FAA to drop their decades old and unsupported ban on cellphone usage on plans back in 2013.... all because there "could" be some interference of some type.
    "Might & maybe safety" are NOT realms FAA & FCC are charged to manage.
    01-19-22 11:35 AM
    The problem here isn't "5G" itself. It's the frequencies that are in the C-band that AT&T and Verizon recently bought that they intended to use to broadcast new 5G signals on.

The idea is to use the C-band (or "mid-band" - in the 3.5 GHz to 4.2 GHz range) as a middle ground between the low bands that cover more area but has generally slow capacity, and the high (millimeter wave) bands that offer really fast capacity, but can only cover short distances and have next to no wall (or even tree) penetrating power. C-bands have better travel and somewhat better penetrating capability than mm-wave bands so phones that work with that band (only the newer models like the iPhone 12 and 13, Samsung S21s and Pixel 6s) will benefit.

Just remember that wi-fi uses 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz for it's use, which is just below and just above that C-band.

It's baffling that the FCC didn't know the commercial aviation use of that same C-band that should have rang alarm bells before they decided to auction off those frequencies.

Or, as Dunt X3 says, they did study it?
    FCC should have certification records...
    01-19-22 11:50 AM
    This story is breaking news EVERYWHERE. You only have to google "5G Airline interference", today, to find scores, if not hundreds, of articles and videos about this problem.
    "eTurboNews" , the site some are concerned about being a conspiracy site is the online version of "Global Travel Industry News". I provided 8 links below here. "FOX News", the BBC and "Bloomberg" all utilize GTIN and eTN articles in their reporting.
    01-19-22 12:23 PM
    This story is breaking news EVERYWHERE. You only have to google "5G Airline interference", today, to find scores, if not hundreds, of articles and videos about this problem.
    "eTurboNews" , the site some are concerned about being a conspiracy site is the online version of "Global Travel Industry News". I provided 8 links below here. "FOX News", the BBC and "Bloomberg" all utilize GTIN and eTN articles in their reporting.
    This has been known for many, many years. It's only news because someone else made it news and there is a pile on.

5G has been in use for a couple of years all over the world, so we already know its full implications.
    01-19-22 12:28 PM
    It is NEWS precisely because some of these things about 5G have been known for a few years and many entities haven't done a thing to mitigate these known problems.
    THAT is the NEWS!
    01-19-22 12:39 PM
    It is NEWS precisely because some of these things about 5G have been known for a few years and many entities haven't done a thing to mitigate these known problems.
    THAT is the NEWS!
    And what about my second paragraph?

BTW, instead of 5G, we should be specific and call this US C-band 5G.

The FAA and FCC have this under control.
    Last edited by conite; 01-19-22 at 01:11 PM.
    01-19-22 12:49 PM
    THAT is the NEWS!
    We’ve all heard we’re all going to die horrible slow deaths and melting faces and brains and liquified innards because of 3G rolling out. And then repeated when 4G rolled out. I’m not hearing anything now that I haven’t already heard for a couple decades, so what exactly is “news”?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-19-22 12:56 PM
    We’ve all heard we’re all going to die horrible slow deaths and melting faces and brains and liquified innards because of 3G rolling out. And then repeated when 4G rolled out. I’m not hearing anything now that I haven’t already heard for a couple decades, so what exactly is “news”?
    I don't know, 30 years later and I'm not sure my brain isn't melting away at this point.
    01-19-22 01:06 PM
    Airlines are restricting their planes from landing in many airports. Hundreds of flight cancellations predicted starting today and at a time of supply chain problems. If it wasn't news than why are all the major news sites covering it? Why don't you email all the news networks and ask them why they are bothering to cover it?
    I told you what I think is the most newsworthy aspect of this 5G hoopala in my comment that you are responding to here.
    01-19-22 01:24 PM
100 123 ...