Do you guys ever update your Android apps, either from Amazon's app store or the Google Play Store? I have found that the more I avoid updating any apps, the smoother my experience is. I had to recently wipe my Passport because all the apps stopped working, even the HUB, everything stopped. No reboot fixed it. I couldn't figure out what had caused the problem. All I could make sense of was that I was updating a couple Android apps from Amazon right before things went haywire. I'm not sure if this was the problem, but I have since told myself to not update any apps unless I know for certain it won't break my device.

Thoughts? Any others experiencing this?

It would be handy if we had a place of current apps that work well for the Passport so others know what's the best version to download and what version not to go past.

Thanks for any input!
    06-01-17 10:38 AM
    I try to stay updated from apkmirror nearly as soon as the updates become available. But I do indeed notice a smoother phone with better battery if I leave them alone for a week or two

Posted via CB10 Passport
    06-01-17 10:41 AM
    I update the few android apps I use all the time; as long as they don't use google services everything works fine.
    06-01-17 12:32 PM
    I keep mine updated regularly. The biggest issue I see is that most android apps that I use keep running in the background even after I shut them down...they just re-start again until I shut them down a couple of times before they seem to "get the hint." Amazon Music would occasionally drain my battery at such an alarming rate that I just uninstalled it for good. Bummer because I liked that app.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-17 12:37 PM
    Apps that you've had to patch, don't update. Most everything else is fine. But really, the Passport is so old now that if you have a particular android app running on it, it might be best to just leave it alone.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-17 12:38 PM
    I do not update any android apps on my Classic nor on my PP.

Any added functionality will make the app probably more demanding + there's always a slight chance that something is added that will make the app not work properly on the device.

Edit: for updating android apps i now have my KEYone ;-)
    06-01-17 01:50 PM
    I have deliberately installed older versions. The constant updates were killing the functionality of them. Sure, I keep my naming app up to date as required, but as pointed out, the 'optimization ' is not suited for the Adroid runtime on BB10.
    Skype stopped working: dropped back to version 5.0.0.51733 - works great!
    Kindle became so slow and unresponsive: loaded version 3.6.0.87 and it's great!
    There are a number of sources for the older. Apk's but Google it.
    I even have Instagram working , thanks to advice from these forums : version 9.6.0

Posted via CB10
    06-04-17 10:59 PM
    Banking app: duh! Not naming app...

Posted via CB10
    06-04-17 10:59 PM
    I have found updating Android apps to be a mixed bag. Some newer versions come with unacceptable performance hits forcing me to restore the old versions. Can't always hang on to all older versions as some do get turned off by the developer. Not always worth downloading on the basis of every small update.

In my case, since I have a spare Passport, I use that device to download and test APK's. I also keep an archive of all the APK's I have downloaded. Lastly, where possible I download APK's from the Amazon AppStore rather than the PlayStore as, in experience, the apps I use are generally updated less frequently at the former site than the latter. Not a perfect system but most manageable, I find.

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    06-04-17 11:39 PM
    My Google Maps just got updated on their own. New UI and features! Don't know what happened!

No Junkroid on Steroids on my Passport
    06-04-17 11:51 PM
    I agree with Rick as I run older versions of Viber and Instagram and they run just fine. Telegram and Line the upgrades have been fine but I always check the android runtime before upgrading. I have quite a few android apps that run fine and I have a spare passport that I experiment with before downloading on my daily driver Passport and Z10 like Peter. Rocking 24-7 with my Passport OG, SE, and Semi retired Z10 and 64gb Playbook.

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    06-05-17 07:03 AM
    Instagram and Pandora seem to work better on older APKs
    06-05-17 10:27 PM
    Do you guys ever update your Android apps, either from Amazon's app store or the Google Play Store? I have found that the more I avoid updating any apps, the smoother my experience is. I had to recently wipe my Passport because all the apps stopped working, even the HUB, everything stopped. No reboot fixed it. I couldn't figure out what had caused the problem. All I could make sense of was that I was updating a couple Android apps from Amazon right before things went haywire. I'm not sure if this was the problem, but I have since told myself to not update any apps unless I know for certain it won't break my device.

Thoughts? Any others experiencing this?

It would be handy if we had a place of current apps that work well for the Passport so others know what's the best version to download and what version not to go past.

Thanks for any input!
    I do not have the similar problem but I do share with you.

My experience was with a few apps being regularly updated, when the time came they stopped working and either required google services to continue, showed a black screen or quitted immediately.

I then had to test reinstalling the older versions for those apps to see which could work and then left those alone - no more updates.

I have a lesson learned, so I am now doing the same for other apps unless they require me to get updated - things are fine anyway at the moment .
    06-05-17 10:48 PM
    I agree with the premise here too. Skype 4.9 runs best on my PP 10.3.2. Prefer it over Skype on my Lumia 950XL which is a sad irony.

Before I update an android app, I will check if the apk of the version I'm using is available first. If I don't like the update, I have the ability to revert.
    06-05-17 11:03 PM
    Well, the skype solution is going off the rails:

Never update Android apps for the Passport?-img_20170608_083521.jpg
    06-08-17 03:26 AM
    I'm not sure: it list devices that are no longer supported, many of them early windows mobile devices, not necessarily early Android builds

Posted via CB10
    06-08-17 04:36 AM
    I'm not sure: it list devices that are no longer supported, many of them early windows mobile devices, not necessarily early Android builds

Posted via CB10
    You might be right. It came to an email address I use for Amazon app store. I do not use this email for BB or MS ID. So probably Amazon has detected the version I'm using.
    06-08-17 06:56 AM