I cracked my Passport screen awhile back and decided to repair the screen myself.

I purchased a spare screen from etradesupply and after acquiring the necessary tools (you need T4 and a T2 (NOT a T1 like the techguy on YouTube states) tore down my Passport. Now I'm stuck though....I've gone as far as I think I can go but the replacement screen doesn't quite look like it will fit.

Does anyone know what needs to happen next? I can't find any videos or tutorials out there.

Need help with DIY Passport Screen Repair-screens.jpg
    09-18-15 10:54 AM
    Nevermind....I figured it out (I think). I loosed the glass screen a bit with some heat and took the broken glass off and replaced it with the new screen.

We'll see if it works. I'll keep you posted and post a pic if it does.
    09-18-15 11:30 AM
    You really tore that down! I'd be interested in replacing a screen(s) on mine. I'd only be removing the back cover and lifting the mainboard enough for the display connector to pass thru tho. What do you use for a new adhesive? Hope it's working good
    09-18-15 11:36 AM
    Pictures as promised!

I went with a black replacement screen for the White Passport because I wanted to customize it a bit and I liked the idea of an expansive black background - I think it opens the phone up a bit. I was inspired by the Pootermobile White Passport design and the existing Red Passport design.

Need help with DIY Passport Screen Repair-white-black-.jpg
    Need help with DIY Passport Screen Repair-white-black-two.jpg
    Need help with DIY Passport Screen Repair-white-black.jpg
    09-18-15 12:21 PM
    You really tore that down! I'd be interested in replacing a screen(s) on mine. I'd only be removing the back cover and lifting the mainboard enough for the display connector to pass thru tho. What do you use for a new adhesive? Hope it's working good
    The adhesive seemed adequate for re-use (when warm it's really sticky). If it proves to not be enough (i.e. screen lift) I'll tear it down again and add some more. I think thin 3M tape would do it.
    09-18-15 12:22 PM
    Wow, that's a unique passport. Good job.

Posted via CB10
    SmileDahling likes this.
    09-18-15 12:29 PM
    I used some clear silicone adhesive to re secure mine but haven't really run it through the paces.

I really like what you've done with the colour combo!

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 12:52 PM
    Really nice Passport !
    09-18-15 12:53 PM
    looks clean
    09-18-15 06:27 PM
    OP and anyone else - I need to replace a cracked screen on my Passport. Everything is still functioning fine, but the top right corner of the screen is shattered (about 1/5th of the screen is shattered in total). The touchscreen still works, but I'm going to order an LCD/Digitizer replacement part for $100 and replace the whole thing anyways.

I'm using this video as a guide for disassembly:

My question is, do I follow that video till around the 1:37 mark, and then after that I should be able to pop the screen+digitizer off on the front, using a knife/blade and maybe some heat? I've read that the video disassembles a whole bunch of unnecessary parts, but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to stop.

Thanks!
    10-24-15 01:09 AM
    OP and anyone else - I need to replace a cracked screen on my Passport. Everything is still functioning fine, but the top right corner of the screen is shattered (about 1/5th of the screen is shattered in total). The touchscreen still works, but I'm going to order an LCD/Digitizer replacement part for $100 and replace the whole thing anyways.

I'm using this video as a guide for disassembly:

My question is, do I follow that video till around the 1:37 mark, and then after that I should be able to pop the screen+digitizer off on the front, using a knife/blade and maybe some heat? I've read that the video disassembles a whole bunch of unnecessary parts, but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to stop.

Thanks!
    Ugh, that guy. Yeah, I watched the same video. You'll need a T4 and a T2 NOT a T1 like he states.

You'll need to disassemble the entire Passport down to taking off the keyboard. Use some heat to get the glass off. BBM video if you need help. pin:2BF2783F

Posted via CB10
    TeamBbryUSA likes this.
    10-24-15 03:10 PM
    Why would the keyboard have to come off? Is it to get it out of the way to heat the glass? My Passport was an early one. I pulled the screen off without tools but I wouldn't recommend that.

When I had it apart. The only thing in the way of removing the whole screen was the adhesive used and the main logic board had to be raised to allow the display connector to pass through..

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 10:18 AM
    Good job man! Looks awesome!

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 05:37 PM
    Why would the keyboard have to come off? Is it to get it out of the way to heat the glass? My Passport was an early one. I pulled the screen off without tools but I wouldn't recommend that.

When I had it apart. The only thing in the way of removing the whole screen was the adhesive used and the main logic board had to be raised to allow the display connector to pass through..

Posted via CB10
    You definitely want to do everything up to removing the keyboard in that youtube video. I guess you don't technically have to remove the keyboard, but I did find it easier to maneuver the screen without the keyboard attached. I could see someone accidentally damaging the keyboard while trying to remove the screen if they are not careful.
    10-30-15 04:43 PM
    OP, can you please post which side shall I push the screen out from the frame?
    11-02-15 08:17 PM