So, I was one that switched from Verizon unlimited data plan to AT&T for the Passport and realized all of my other phones are CDMA. My Z30 is Verizon branded with a broken screen (I'm assuming as HDMI works, but the display shows nothing). May try to fix that as my sister was supposed to upgrade to my Z30. She currently has my first BB10, the Z10. Was also able to get both my parents on Z10s.

Problem is they are all about ready to upgrade, but my mother is the only other on AT&T and not sure if she can make the leap to the Passport. I bought her Z10 from shopblackberry on Mother's Day for her and her birthday is coming up. She has been asking for another charger and complaining about battery life so was thinking of getting her a white Z30 off of shopblackberry and just taking her Z10 as a backup.

Funny thing is that they all switched from iPhones and love the Z10, but my mother needs a bigger screen (having difficulty seeing) and my sister just said she loves her Z10 after telling her I may try to fix the Z30 for her. My father is the only one who still is a bit on the fence. Used to carry 2 iPhones, now down to one and uses Siri often. Travels a lot, asks weather etc. I'm sure the BlackBerry Assistant will help here.

So instead of grabbing myself a Z30, was thinking maybe getting my mother one for her birthday and taking her Z10 as a backup. Wish the Z30 was more readily available as I really have nothing BlackBerry to upgrade them to besides my mother on AT&T. I think this is definitely a problem as eventually they will all be moving on from their Z10s.

Anyway, should I be selfish and get myself a Z30 or upgrade my mother, hmm... my initial thoughts were to purchase a Z10 for about $199 as a backup as it is well worth that price and wouldn't break the bank, but do miss the Z30... then I realized the upcoming birthday and was thinking of doing a sequel to the Mother's Day gift lol.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by RLTurn77; 10-27-14 at 09:20 AM.
    10-27-14 09:03 AM
    The Z30 for your mom would be a great gift!
    I love mine and I'm a mom who appreciates gifts from my child!
    10-27-14 09:53 AM
    The Z30 for your mom would be a great gift!
    I love mine and I'm a mom who appreciates gifts from my child!
    Would definitely make her happy! Thanks for the advice coming from a mother. Thinking I'm going to go this route... it will be a huge surprise and I know she'll love it!

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 12:00 PM
    Funny, I also switched to AT&T for the Passport. Been trying to get my sister on our shared plan, but she has a VZW Z10 (and a few months left). I've also been thinking of upgrading my mom from a Z10 to a Z30. Wish I could afford to get Passports for everyone! Lol

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 12:03 PM
    Funny, I also switched to AT&T for the Passport. Been trying to get my sister on our shared plan, but she has a VZW Z10 (and a few months left). I've also been thinking of upgrading my mom from a Z10 to a Z30. Wish I could afford to get Passports for everyone! Lol

Posted via CB10
    Haha I'm with ya... I forget what update it was, but once the update that fixed the random reboots was pushed out I had my dad upgrade his work iPhone to the Z10 and bought my mother one on Mother's Day. My sister ended up with my Verizon Z10 when I bought the Z30. As you know, my Z30 needs a new screen so my sister is still rocking my oreo Z10. At $199 the Z10 really is a great device, just wish the battery was a little bit bigger. Would be fine as a backup for me though. Would definitely be cool if I could get them all Passports!

As a side note, I remember you were switching around the same time I was... I ended up just getting the 2GB plan with the option of course to go up and down whenever. I believe from another post you got the 4GB plan. Their penalty isn't that bad either if either of us were to go over. Add $15 penalty fee for an extra GB or just call and say I need an extra GB this month and it's only $10 per GB... figured I'd start low and go up as needed.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 12:36 PM
    As a side note, I remember you were switching around the same time I was... I ended up just getting the 2GB plan with the option of course to go up and down whenever. I believe from another post you got the 4GB plan. Their penalty isn't that bad either if either of us were to go over. Add $15 penalty fee for an extra GB or just call and say I need an extra GB this month and it's only $10 per GB... figured I'd start low and go up as needed.

Posted via CB10
    I actually ended up going with the 2GB plan also, after I looked at their not-too bad 1GB "penalty" and the guy at the store told me I could always add on more ahead of time if I thought I might need it...

I had VZW unlimited for a long time and rarely went over 1Gb except after "super storm" Sandy during which I used the hotspot quite a bit (but even then, I had to pay extra to use it on Verizon,.. so probably would have been the same with overage charges on newer plans).

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 01:27 PM
    I actually ended up going with the 2GB plan also, after I looked at their not-too bad 1GB "penalty" and the guy at the store told me I could always add on more ahead of time if I thought I might need it...

I had VZW unlimited for a long time and rarely went over 1Gb except after "super storm" Sandy during which I used the hotspot quite a bit (but even then, I had to pay extra to use it on Verizon,.. so probably would have been the same with overage charges on newer plans).

Posted via CB10
    Wow, basically identical situations. I was so reluctant to give up that plan yet I never once went over 2GB. Usually stayed around or under 1GB since I'm usually surfing, etc. on WiFi. The highest I went when I was away one month was 1.9GB... I def agree. Pay the cheaper bill and if I have to add any data just call and no penalty. I also liked the fact that going over is a flat $15 for an extra GB. Seemed to work out well for us both! + the extra $15 off is nice. Also wanted to let you know that there was a promotion that after you have been with them for 45 days they will give you a $100 credit for switching. Wasn't sure if you knew about that one. :-)

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 01:44 PM
    Wow, basically identical situations. I was so reluctant to give up that plan yet I never once went over 2GB. Usually stayed around or under 1GB since I'm usually surfing, etc. on WiFi. The highest I went when I was away one month was 1.9GB... I def agree. Pay the cheaper bill and if I have to add any data just call and no penalty. I also liked the fact that going over is a flat $15 for an extra GB. Seemed to work out well for us both! + the extra $15 off is nice. Also wanted to let you know that there was a promotion that after you have been with them for 45 days they will give you a $100 credit for switching. Wasn't sure if you knew about that one. :-)

Posted via CB10
    hahaha,.. yeah, guess we went through the same set of concerns and reasoning.

I didn't know about that credit,.. how would I take advantage of it?

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 01:57 PM
    hahaha,.. yeah, guess we went through the same set of concerns and reasoning.

I didn't know about that credit,.. how would I take advantage of it?

Posted via CB10
    I was told it would show as a credit on my future bill as long as I remained with them for 45 days minimum. There was nothing extra to redeem this. I'm not sure the time frame, but I believe this was good for October activations. Not sure if they will continue this into November. I did call after leaving the store (company store) to verify and was told there is nothing I need to do but wait to receive the credit.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 02:08 PM
    I was told it would show as a credit on my future bill as long as I remained with them for 45 days minimum. There was nothing extra to redeem this. I'm not sure the time frame, but I believe this was good for October activations. Not sure if they will continue this into November. I did call after leaving the store (company store) to verify and was told there is nothing I need to do but wait to receive the credit.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting,.. I've never heard of a cell phone carrier giving me money, but it'll be a pleasant surprise if they do.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 02:25 PM
    Here's the only thing I can find:

http://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless...ar-credit.html

Looks like that one is just for new activations when you buy a device from them using the NEXT plan.

There's this older one, which seems to apply to new line activations (without device purchase), but is not longer valid.

http://www.att.com/gen-mobile/press-room?pid=25236

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 02:29 PM
    Here's the only thing I can find:

http://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless...ar-credit.html

Looks like that one is just for new activations when you buy a device from them using the NEXT plan.

There's this older one, which seems to apply to new line activations (without device purchase), but is not longer valid.

http://www.att.com/gen-mobile/press-room?pid=25236

Posted via CB10
    Hmm... guess we'll see. Based on the links it does seem as though it would apply to "Next" with the other expired. I believe you activated around the same time I did. I have not set up an online account with them and wasn't really planning on doing so, just curious if you have and if you see any benefit? We already have the data monitor with our billing cycle put in (well I put my billing cycle in, will be interesting to see how accurate it is). Not sure what else another username and password would provide. I'll keep you posted though if I receive anything.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 02:40 PM
    Hmm... guess we'll see. Based on the links it does seem as though it would apply to "Next" with the other expired. I believe you activated around the same time I did. I have not set up an online account with them and wasn't really planning on doing so, just curious if you have and if you see any benefit? We already have the data monitor with our billing cycle put in (well I put my billing cycle in, will be interesting to see how accurate it is). Not sure what else another username and password would provide. I'll keep you posted though if I receive anything.

Posted via CB10
    I did set up the online account (just how I prefer to deal with all my bills). Once you do that you can download the myATT android app using Snap, and it works fine on the Passport. Shows you your bill, real time usage (as they determine it--will be interesting to compare with the native monitor), as well as allow you to turn off data for each line if you're close to the end of the billing cycle and are about to exceed your allowance (probably useful if you have kids on the account).

Posted via CB10
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    10-27-14 03:10 PM