Hello fine folks. I am really liking the Native Maps App and it is running fine. Was able to input all my favourites in North America and Internationally. Now for the million $$$ question. Is there a way to update the maps? Sideload or something? Searched for an answer but alas, none to be had. Thanks,

Posted via my Passport
    09-27-19 05:27 PM
    I don't think so, but conite or TrumpetTiger should know for sure.
    09-27-19 05:40 PM
    Is there a way to update the maps?
    There is no way to update. What you see is what you get. At some point (we don't know when) the maps service will end. Info is derived from Tom Tom.
    nevilleadaniels likes this.
    09-27-19 05:44 PM
    Ok, sad but true. Does anyone have a working Google maps app as a bckup? Dowloaded one from BBW but don't feel like I should have to pay for a free app. Thanks,

PS - I lost a working version when I wiped my phone and can't remember where I got it from. Could have been Cobalt, but I did not re-install his service. Should I?

Posted via my Passport
    09-27-19 05:47 PM
    I like the BlackBerry Maps app a lot, but between the maps not updating and the lack of integration with real-time transit, not to mention pedestrian and bike routes, I end up using Google Maps a lot of the time.

That said, when I just want to orient myself and don't need detailed route info, BlackBerry Maps is still my first choice.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-27-19 05:58 PM
    Ok, sad but true. Does anyone have a working Google maps app as a bckup? Dowloaded one from BBW but don't feel like I should have to pay for a free app. Thanks,

PS - I lost a working version when I wiped my phone and can't remember where I got it from. Could have been Cobalt, but I did not re-install his service. Should I?

Posted via my Passport
    There are other map choices out there as far as android replacements. I think I've used/tried most but Magic Earth (from Amazon App Store oddly enough, lol) is the one I like at the moment. You can download and store maps for offline use and they are updated. Not sure what the deal is with Google Maps on a BB10 device as I don't use but I think there is still an older version working. Maybe @conite can enlighten us.
    09-27-19 06:01 PM
    Ah ok. I would prefer Google maps as it already has all "Your Places" loaded. I hope someone is using Google Maps and can chime in.

Posted via my Passport
    09-27-19 06:04 PM
    I would prefer Google maps as it already has all "Your Places" loaded
    I'm fairly sure that that is the problem with Google Maps on BB10. I don't think it's possible to keep that without Google Play Services. I could be wrong though, lol. It happened once before....
    09-27-19 06:11 PM
    I like the BlackBerry Maps app a lot, but between the maps not updating and the lack of integration with real-time transit, not to mention pedestrian and bike routes, I end up using Google Maps a lot of the time.

That said, when I just want to orient myself and don't need detailed route info, BlackBerry Maps is still my first choice.

Link please.

Posted via my Passport
    09-27-19 06:12 PM
    Maybe use the Google Maps mobile website?
    conite likes this.
    09-27-19 06:20 PM
    Link please.

Posted via my Passport
    Link to what???

09-27-19 06:34 PM
    Link to what???

Let me rephrase, how do you get Google Maps to work on BB10? Perhaps I misread your post, did you mean in your post that you use Google Maps on a devise other than your BB10?

Posted via my Passport
    09-27-19 06:37 PM
    Let me rephrase, how do you get Google Maps to work on BB10? Perhaps I misread your post, did you mean in your post that you use Google Maps on a devise other than your BB10?

Posted via my Passport
    See my post above! Just put a shortcut on your desktop to the mobile site.
    09-27-19 06:40 PM
    See my post above! Just put a shortcut on your desktop to the mobile site.
    Yes I will try that out. Thank you,

Posted via my Passport
    09-27-19 06:41 PM

Posted via my Passport
    yes his key device .
    09-27-19 06:52 PM
    Now that makes sense. Thanks,

Posted via my Passport
    09-27-19 06:53 PM
    Now that makes sense. Thanks,

Posted via my Passport
    Hey Crusader,

I'd give GPS for Google Maps a go. It's basically a web wrapper in Blackberry World but tends to work well and should give you all the Google Maps features you need. Let me know if you have any trouble with it.

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=US

As for updating Blackberry Maps, I believe the data is pulled from the web and so is updated automatically. I'm certain they are pulling live traffic statistics from the web as that information is correct and up-to-date whenever one turns that feature on.
    09-27-19 08:49 PM
    Hey Crusader,

I'd give GPS for Google Maps a go. It's basically a web wrapper in Blackberry World but tends to work well and should give you all the Google Maps features you need. Let me know if you have any trouble with it.

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=US

As for updating Blackberry Maps, I believe the data is pulled from the web and so is updated automatically. I'm certain they are pulling live traffic statistics from the web as that information is correct and up-to-date whenever one turns that feature on.
    Thank you very much! Good to know that the app is updating. I have also re-installed Cobalt's apps and Google maps is fully functional now. I do however prefer the Native app! Thanks again, it is much appreciated,

Posted via my Passport
    Last edited by Crusader03; 09-27-19 at 09:20 PM.
    09-27-19 08:59 PM
    Are you sure? I'm looking in my area at a new 4-lane area of about 35 km that was completed on the Trans-Canada hwy (which you would think would be updated) about a year and half ago and it has not been updated. I'm not saying that you are wrong but do you have any evidence or a reference for your claim? I have Google Maps (mobile website) on my Passport and the area I have stated above shows 4-lane.
    09-27-19 09:39 PM
    Are you sure? I'm looking in my area at a new 4-lane area of about 35 km that was completed on the Trans-Canada hwy (which you would think would be updated) about a year and half ago and it has not been updated. I'm not saying that you are wrong but do you have any evidence or a reference for your claim? I have Google Maps (mobile website) on my Passport and the area I have stated above shows 4-lane.
    I'm not 100% but simply basing it on the (accurate) traffic updates and my own experience. However, digging deeper I see some evidence that would go against that notion as well. I'll see if I can come up with a definitive answer but I am confident in the maps in general and navigation within the US at least, as I have yet to have that fail including in areas with new roads and massive construction.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-19 09:44 PM
    Our home is 4 years old and Google took 2+ years to update in a major Canadian City. So who knows.

Posted via my Passport
    09-27-19 09:51 PM
    Here is my situation showing the difference: Native Maps App-img_20190927_223926.jpg

Native Maps App-img_20190927_224102.jpg
    09-27-19 09:55 PM
    Our home is 4 years old and Google took 2+ years to update in a major Canadian City. So who knows.

Posted via my Passport
    Understood, but my case is the Trans-Canada highway. About as major an upgrade to the most important highway in the country imo so you would think it would be updated in the last 2 years.
    09-27-19 10:17 PM
    Understood, but my case is the Trans-Canada highway. About as major an upgrade to the most important highway in the country imo so you would think it would be updated in the last 2 years.
    Does our Native app show number of lanes? I'll have to look closer. Trans-Canada is relatively close to me and was built up about 15-20 years ago. I'll check. That would be cool if it does that. Cheers,

Posted via my Passport
    09-27-19 10:22 PM
    Does our Native app show number of lanes? I'll have to look closer. Trans-Canada is relatively close to me and was built up about 15-20 years ago. I'll check. That would be cool if it does that. Cheers,

Posted via my Passport
    Yes it certainly does - sorry I did not include that in my pic because it's out of scale in order to show hwy 587. Further south on the BB Maps is a clear 4 lane.
    09-27-19 10:25 PM
42 12