I bought my passport 4 days ago because I love the keyboard and the design of it and more importantly its battery life. I'm currently on 10.3.0 which originally comes with the phone. I have not installed any apps except for ghost commander and snap sideloaded, plus one gmail account and one Facebook account.
    However the battery life is not as I have expected negatively. I also heard a thing call device indexing, generally meaning the phone is analyzing your overall informations and therefore it would be days before you can confirm the phone's battery life.
    Is this true or it's just a myth? Because I came from a Android with very bad battery life I have not experienced anything called device indexing before
    02-01-15 10:13 AM
    I believe that indexing does exist, however it doesn't affect your device as much as you'd believe. To get better battery life, get OS10.3.1.2072. It is the best overall OS I've used, and was far better than the stock Passport OS. Heres the link for the OS: Leaked OS 10.3.1.2072 autoloaders now available for download | CrackBerry.com

Make sure to read the How to install leaks page as well. How to install a leaked OS on BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com

It's worth it!!! Install the leak!
    bachphamthien likes this.
    02-01-15 10:21 AM
    I experienced it when i switched from BBOS7 to BB10. I did a device switch when coming over from BBOS7. It took a while to index everything. My battery life didn't settle down til about 3-4 days of use. Went from 6-8 hour battery life to almost 24-30hours in a week.

Switching devices and data between BB10 devices you should see no affect on battery life. I have switched 3 BB10 devices and battery life has been the same from the beginning.

If you are not doing a data transfer or device switch, and doing a fresh clean setup your battery life should be normal.

Posted via CB10
    bachphamthien likes this.
    02-01-15 10:24 AM
    I think he is setting up from a clean install. So if there's no information transfer there would not be indexing? Is the leaked os available for all devices in all available countries?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 10:27 AM
    Truth. It will settle down and you will get better battery life.
    02-01-15 10:28 AM
    I think he is setting up from a clean install. So if there's no information transfer there would not be indexing? Is the leaked os available for all devices in all available countries?

Posted via CB10
    If he added email, contacts and calendar, it will index everything.
    02-01-15 10:29 AM
    There's also the other myth about people using their brand new devices much more than usual for the first few days.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by AnimalPak200; 02-01-15 at 11:26 AM.
    00stryder and will308 like this.
    02-01-15 10:32 AM
    Indexing exist, yes - sort of .. local device caching - media files on device and SDcard being indexed etc.

what drains a lot of battery:

1- Initial when setting up accounts to ex. Google and Outlook - contacts, email, calendar - entries are being fetched from cloud and into local cached info, indexed for access. Depending on your connection and services, this can take from a few hours - to a few more :-)

2- The display use a lot of power, and when first setting up a device it's usually more On than with normal day to day use

3- Bad cell network reception. This is a real killer. If you have WiFi home, make sure to use it, Always have it On on your phone, and be connected as much as you can. Inside buildings (office??) with limited cell coverage, the battery can drain quick.

Some experience better performance when Manually selecting cell network, instead of Automatic - which will always look for a better signal..

4- All "running" apps , (minimized, background ..) consumes power, and the more active they are - the more power they consume. Limit the amount of apps you allow to run in the background (with 10.3.1 you will also be able to not allow apps to run when minimized - which will also save power)

Reduce the amount of apps constantly polling GPS location, these can be battery killers

Reduce Display Brightness to as low as you find comfortable and good, and press the top button to turn off display whenever you don't need it (or set the timeout low)
    02-01-15 11:14 AM
    How long would this indexing usually take?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 06:22 PM
    I've never believed in this indexing and have never noticed the battery to correct itself. I have seen fairly large improvements between different OS releases.

I will say that when I got the passport it didn't give me the battery life I was expecting. I did a hard reboot and it did fix my problem but definitely wasn't indexing.

Tim

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 08:01 PM
    Mine was most definitely indexing my 64GB SD card that is 80% fill and over 1M smallish files. Mostly documentation and knowledge documents. Indexing is real and might not affect those with small volumes of data. Those of us with lots it truly does take time. After indexing I can find anything on my SD card in no time. Love indexing and BBRY universal search facilities. My average battery life is 34 hours right now. Really good in my opinion with the amount I use my PP.

Posted CB10->BB Passport
    02-01-15 08:58 PM
    Yes indexing exists. If you have lots of accounts and music, and notes, and files on your media card, then the universal search needs to be able to find info and will need to index your content.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 09:25 PM
    I have a 64Gb micro sd card which is empty except for 1Gb of music and video. How long does it take to index all of it?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 11:22 PM
    And when I add new contents to my micro SD card does it take time to reindex everything again ?
    02-02-15 11:08 AM