I love bb10 and android tablet combo. Tablets are so affordable these days.

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk
    06-15-15 01:55 AM
    The app issue is a huge road block to the masses. The common person just wants to play word games and throw birds at rocks. I will admit i have and ipod touch which i got to carry with me for music, apps, and games back in my Q10 days. I carry it less and less though. I don't play many games any more and i just use the company's websites for most of what i used apps for. Heck i even got my entire work computer to vm to my passport. It's a head turner with coworkers.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 02:17 AM
    And with such a capable OS why they are unable to attract developers is just a mystery.
    It's not really much of a mystery. It costs money to develop and support apps. The BB10 user base is tiny. With so few potential users, developers have every reason to limit their efforts to the platforms where they are most likely to see some return on investment: iOS and Android. And when they develop for Android, Google Play Services provides services (push notifications, location services, etc.) that they don't have to develop on their own.

At this time, WP has about ten times as many users as BB10, and Microsoft has more money to throw around; but WP still has a problem getting apps.

These things have been pointed out many times, but some people are new to the conversation. We have some native BB10 apps that are excellent and getting better, still actively supported by their developers. Knoware's bPod is a fine example. We have other apps that were promising but have been abandoned. I won't name names, but I can't really blame the developers of these apps.

Some developers are hobbyists. They risk nothing by developing for BB10. If they get some satisfaction out of it, they're happy to do it. Other developers are for-profit businesses, with mortgages and other bills to pay. They have to be careful about what they spend their time on.
    06-15-15 07:39 AM
    These two devices really can't be compared, from a person who uses both there is no comparison between the two. For business I use the passport and for play the iPhone 6.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Well op you can't have everything in one. You can only have one over the other. Passport is more business friendly and iPhones is more media friendly. Just like other users on here done, get both phones to enjoy the best of both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    I think many here forget that this community might not represent the vast majority of smartphone users in the world. I just don't see a lot of people willing to buy two smartphones (especially activate both). I think the "fun" device is going to win 99% of the time over the productive device (thus BlackBerry's under 1% marketshare).

But OP.... there really is no reason to bother with the first two Apps Stores. For now, just use Colbat's Google Play solution and enjoy it - no not everything works, but I'd say the majority does. If you don't find a working version, then you can go back to the other two, but other than one BlackBerry utility, I don't use BlackBerry World. The apps are either 3rd Party and missing features or they are just OLD - some two years old like Flixster, so why even bother.

I really see no reason to complain about the app situation at this point.... if you bought a Passport, then it shows you didn't do any research. It's not like anyone was promising that developers were coming or that it would just take time - like when many of use Z10 and Q10 owners "bought into" the platform.
    06-15-15 08:47 AM
    OP, I didn't want to quote your entire post so I would like to give you a suggestion if you wouldn't mind. Have you tried using the browser for some of your app needs? Maybe some of your needs can be met with the the "add to homescreen option". I've had some luck with that and actually prefer the website to the app(less chance of crashing).

It sucks that BlackBerry user as a whole have to resort to using third party apps and sideloading. I feel your pain with the apps. It's why I keep my 6Plus used as a media device.

Posted via my awesome Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.680 with T-Mobile Unlimited Data
    Good app solution, we call it "light app" in China.

BB lives
    06-15-15 09:16 AM
    Can anyone give me input on my questions?

For A and B I can resort to user the browser version.

What about question C and D?

Which skype apk version is most optimized?

Posted via CB10
    I use the BB World version. I think it's the same as the latest Android offering.

The app creates a listing under the Accounts menu. To prevent some of the battery drain, long press the Skype account name and delete. (Skype the app appears to be unaffected.) I did this and have noticed less battery drain.
    06-15-15 10:19 AM
    ..so is the 'beef' with the developers or with BlackBerry? Is Uber, broke, maybe???? I have some 'Built for BlackBerry' apps from lesser known developers on my phone. If you are part of the 1% (or less) or part of the 99%, you should still matter, no? It is interesting...a developer would still develop an app knowing they have to compete with so many other developers?....yet, they take the risk and do so....people do what they want and rationalize things how they see fit. I have more then 100 apps on my BlackBerry Passport...do I use them all...no...am living life without the other 'millions' is suppose to need.....yes, but that is me.
    06-15-15 11:42 AM
    I use the BB World version. I think it's the same as the latest Android offering.

The app creates a listing under the Accounts menu. To prevent some of the battery drain, long press the Skype account name and delete. (Skype the app appears to be unaffected.) I did this and have noticed less battery drain.
    Than you very much for the tip!

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    06-15-15 11:23 PM
    I think many here forget that this community might not represent the vast majority of smartphone users in the world. I just don't see a lot of people willing to buy two smartphones (especially activate both). I think the "fun" device is going to win 99% of the time over the productive device (thus BlackBerry's under 1% marketshare).

But OP.... there really is no reason to bother with the first two Apps Stores. For now, just use Colbat's Google Play solution and enjoy it - no not everything works, but I'd say the majority does. If you don't find a working version, then you can go back to the other two, but other than one BlackBerry utility, I don't use BlackBerry World. The apps are either 3rd Party and missing features or they are just OLD - some two years old like Flixster, so why even bother.

I really see no reason to complain about the app situation at this point.... if you bought a Passport, then it shows you didn't do any research. It's not like anyone was promising that developers were coming or that it would just take time - like when many of use Z10 and Q10 owners "bought into" the platform.
    Yeah I got bought into the BlackBerry passport for 3 big reasons. The keyboard (always wanted one), the form factor and aesthetics of the phone (first time I saw this I was very captivated by it, beautiful design), and the amazon app marketing (I thought amazon app was same listing as google playstore and that it ran everything great w no issues). Came from lOs (been ios user since iPhone 3g to iPhone 5) where everything is super simple, so didn't expect having to tinker apps to work in here lol.

I still like this phone and I will keep using it as long as I can still continue to use my frequented apps and try new apps here and there. I think bb10 is amazing for its efficiency. Once I feel that I can no longer make important apps work efficiently and effectively or if I feel it's a big hindrance to not have working apps that I need, then I will be looking at something else.

I'm not complaining, I'm just stating my experiences as a blackberry convert from being an iPhone user since early ios times. I never owned a blackberry before.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 11:43 PM
    To the people saying "if Blackberry goes android that's it's I'm leaving" guess what, BB10 is already running some form of Android! If it were to go 100% Android OS, then Blackberry would modify it so it looks like BB10, much like HTC, LG & Samsung do, they create their own launchers and configuration. Other than apps etc. There is a big difference between how my LG looks and performance to how my brothers S6 looks and performs.

Blackberry running full android os is not a bad thing, why do you think Android is so popular? We would get better support, wider range of hardware to work with, better apps, and hell Blackberry will start making huge profits.

Embrace positive change.
    Last edited by Adzie91; 06-16-15 at 03:58 AM.
    06-16-15 03:25 AM
    The problem with BlackBerry adopting Android OS on their (upcoming) devices is their limited resources. Maintaining and updating two different OS's requires two set of teams working on different platforms. And this is what BlackBerry doesn't have at this moment.

It may seems harmless to BB10 OS but sooner or later, BlackBerry has to drop the one that is not profitable...

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 05:02 AM
    So upgrade existing 10 devices to android. And don't say hardware wouldn't support it as that's ball. Android devices, even crap ones run on the same specs if not much much worse specs than the Passport
    06-16-15 05:34 AM
    Passports' specs is a good candidate. Not top of the line (compare with latest Samsung, HTC and Sony devices) but a good candidate for Android OS. Others, like Q10, Classic, Leap, etc. will surely lag. And that will bring BlackBerry straight to bankruptcy if they will not compete with specs while their pricing is similar to a premium Android device...

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    06-16-15 07:06 AM
    Passports' specs is a good candidate. Not top of the line (compare with latest Samsung, HTC and Sony devices) but a good candidate for Android OS. Others, like Q10, Classic, Leap, etc. will surely lag. And that will bring BlackBerry straight to bankruptcy if they will not compete with specs while their pricing is similar to a premium Android device...

Posted via CB10
    Thats what I didn't understand about the Classic, it has so much potential to be top contender. But they didn't improve any of the hardware, same specs as the Z10, Q10 etc just changed the design.

Shame, if BB has given the Classic the same specs as the Passport, wow.. I'd of been sold on the Classic.
    06-16-15 01:12 PM
    So upgrade existing 10 devices to android. And don't say hardware wouldn't support it as that's ball. Android devices, even crap ones run on the same specs if not much much worse specs than the Passport
    Replacing BB10 with Android would be a huge downgrade. I doubt many people would willingly ruin their BB10 devices with that and it would only **** off the one's that unknowingly "upgraded".
    06-16-15 03:07 PM
    I have a Kindle Fire HDX for movies and books and it has some strong similarities to BB10 in the interface. It is very cheap as Amazon are heavily subsidising this as a buying platform. BlackBerry cannot compete with these guys and I have NO interest in an android-powered BlackBerry phone.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Trauma Surgeon; 06-18-15 at 05:03 AM.
    thymaster likes this.
    06-16-15 03:44 PM
    just need to improve on apps ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 08:34 PM
    Bring on the Android OS. Retain the security.

Update all BB10 devices to Android BlackBerry!

Finally, we will be back in business. And I get my Google stuff, lol.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z10
    06-16-15 10:25 PM

"Bring on the Android OS. Retain the security." You can't have it both ways.
    06-17-15 07:31 AM
    So the death throws of BlackBerry will be under the boot of google bloatware?

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 12:14 PM
    Wow... so many insecure people on here. Maybe, if Google and Blackberry sat down, on a very nice pretty table with some mineral water and possibly some cakes, they could discuss ways on which Blackberry can improve Android.

Everyone is seeing it as Google taking over Blackberry. It could be a partnership. The goodness of a solid Google OS, but with the security of Blackberry...

But hey... sod google right? Because they're doing so terrible right now eh? Pfft.
    06-17-15 03:25 PM
    Mate the Android they are talking are talking about is the Amazon ecosystem. Google will never play nice with BlackBerry if BB10 exists.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 06:08 PM
    If I was Google, I would buy blackberry. Have a consumer android (again with bb security) and a business android with phones made by Blackberry. I'm so bored of all these phones trying to look like the iphone, that's why I love Blackberry as they're not afraid in this market to produce different styled products.
    06-18-15 12:52 AM
    "Bring on the Android OS. Retain the security." You can't have it both ways.
    Sure you can. Design a specific version of Android for BlackBerry devices ( Which retain security) . Get it done.

06-18-15 04:46 AM

Android is an open door for your data to Google and Amazon!

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 04:58 AM
59 123