So I moved from iPhone to BlackBerry passport for about 7 months and so far I like this phone because of the reasons many others like it: keyboard, screen size, battery, hub, and work efficiency. And is my daily driver and only phone. I like it overall so far.

However, increasingly, there are things that I dislike, and it's mostly app related.

Three things I am not really a fan of blackberry regarding apps:

1. App downloading and installing process:
    In BlackBerry, in order to download an app, I go through 3 app worlds. I first go to Blackberry World to see if the native version is available (95% of times it isn't). Then I go to Amazon App Store (90% of times app isn't available). Then, thankfully and props to Cobalt, I go to the Google Playstore (will be here for sure).

It doesn't end here though, after you download the app from Google Playstore, you have to test to make sure it runs in your BlackBerry. Most often times than not, you get hit with the "requires google services" message (not surprising, as google is integrating everything into its garden). Some apps allow you to click OK and will work fine. In many other cases, you have to use a patcher, and will work if you are lucky (hence it's called LuckyPatcher lol!)‎

Many times though, even after patching, the app will simply not work because of a blackscreen or because the app is laggy or because the phone gets really hot and not optimized for bb10. So now the last step is to resort to find a prior version APK (if available). Problem with this is that the older version APKs might not have the most up to date functionalities that I want from the app to begin with. Oh, and if there is simply no optimized app version to your liking, the worse outcome is to run whatever app you wanted in the browser lol.

2. Spartan ecosystem:

Related to the above mentioned, the blackberry OS environment feels very spartan. Meaning there is simply no easy way to apps. Many native apps lack functionality compared to IOS and android version. There has to be a lot of tinkering to try to make an app work.

The Amazon app store and blackberry world are pretty lacking. This is a known issue. We now have Google Playstore (thanks Cobalt!), but reality is, android apps get upgraded very frequently, and new cool functionalities are added to such apps, and you might want those functionalities, but newer versions will increasingly become less compatible to BB10. So u have to resort using older version. At some point that older version becomes obsolete, buggy, and not compatible to the app services.

I love how native apps run in bb10, so fast and efficient. Unfortunately, lack of native app development is still the norm in BlackBerry. This takes me to point 3.

3. Lack of essential native apps.

I know blackberry is shifting focus on enterprise. But when essential apps like Uber, yelp, banking apps and etc. are not in BlackBerry World, it's back to tinkering as described in point #1. At least let's try to get the essentials in the native environment bro. BlackBerry should provide some incentive to them (the respective app entities) or some devise some other plan to get them in the BlackBerry world as native app. There are cases when you find an essential native app in the bbworld, you are surprised and excited, but then it runs extremely bad. I am looking at you, Skype. Skype crashes, lags, and drains 50% of battery in a 15 minute video call. Why are u even downloadable from bbworld, should be removed!

This leads me to questions:
    A. What older version of Uber is most optimized for bb10? The newest version from Google Playstore crashes on me, even after patching.*

B. What version apk of Yelp is the least laggy and doesn't crash? I have the newest one from playstore, but crashes sometimes and is laggy.*

C. What version APK of Skype is the most compatible with Blackberry that will run smooth and be battery efficient ? I have the one from BlackBerry World and it is facepalm.*

D. When u download an app from Google playstore, and it works, u don't upgrade it to prevent incompability issues right?

Posted via CB10
    Michal Be and GLTruesdale like this.
    06-13-15 10:55 PM
    Your point is valid for app people. For minorities who don't care about those apps or too busy to care about those apps, Passport are great without those apps.
    Chen knows this and has said before and is working on things to resolve the app issue which is sth. is brewing. Use android OS natively plus bb10 features on some new devices is one of the solutions. This targets most consumers.

Presented to you by real phone - Passport
    06-13-15 11:07 PM
    OP, I didn't want to quote your entire post so I would like to give you a suggestion if you wouldn't mind. Have you tried using the browser for some of your app needs? Maybe some of your needs can be met with the the "add to homescreen option". I've had some luck with that and actually prefer the website to the app(less chance of crashing).

It sucks that BlackBerry user as a whole have to resort to using third party apps and sideloading. I feel your pain with the apps. It's why I keep my 6Plus used as a media device.

Posted via my awesome Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.680 with T-Mobile Unlimited Data
    06-13-15 11:26 PM
    That's probably the reason why BlackBerry will go (fully) 'Android'...

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 11:30 PM
    None of these are the downsides of the Passport, contrary to the title of the thread. These are the downsides of the BlackBerry 10 platform, which are quite well known.

Q10/10.3.1.2582
    Judyam likes this.
    06-13-15 11:58 PM
    No glass weave back is definitely a downside.
    06-14-15 12:02 AM
    I don't like the way that my Passport stares at me and makes me want her constantly.

BlackBerryaholic by choice.
    06-14-15 12:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not for this BB fanboy
    thymaster, bb624 and will308 like this.
    06-14-15 12:26 AM
    That's why maybe I'll get an android phone for my next purchase!

Mia san mia!
    06-14-15 12:30 AM
    OP, I didn't want to quote your entire post so I would like to give you a suggestion if you wouldn't mind. Have you tried using the browser for some of your app needs? Maybe some of your needs can be met with the the "add to homescreen option". I've had some luck with that and actually prefer the website to the app(less chance of crashing).

It sucks that BlackBerry user as a whole have to resort to using third party apps and sideloading. I feel your pain with the apps. It's why I keep my 6Plus used as a media device.
    Yep. In the case of Uber, I'm resorting to browser. Wish there is a working uber apk though!

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 12:59 AM
    None of these are the downsides of the Passport, contrary to the title of the thread. These are the downsides of the BlackBerry 10 platform, which are quite well known.

Q10/10.3.1.2582
    Yeah that's what I meant, passport hardware is great.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 01:02 AM
    Since I've started using my Passport, I rarely use my Apple iPad Air or even my Playbook tablet.

I'm not like most people, I don't use many apps... there are a few that I need (banking, Fitbit, Crackberry), then there are websites that I save to my home page for quick access.

I absolutely love my Passport

Post from my Passport or my Z30 or my Playbook
    bb624, acovey and miker476 like this.
    06-14-15 01:46 AM
    Has anyone really experienced the latest android software: viz samsung note 4... BLOATWARE everywhere
    thymaster likes this.
    06-14-15 02:19 AM
    Can anyone give me input on my questions?

For A and B I can resort to user the browser version.

What about question C and D?

Which skype apk version is most optimized?

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 10:55 AM
    These two devices really can't be compared, from a person who uses both there is no comparison between the two. For business I use the passport and for play the iPhone 6.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    beamolite likes this.
    06-14-15 11:14 AM
    C. What version APK of Skype is the most compatible with Blackberry that will run smooth and be battery efficient ? I have the one from BlackBerry World and it is facepalm.*
    I'm using this version in my Passport and the one I'm usually 'skypeing' is also a Passport user. So far, it's OK. It's not that great but bearable to use. I guess, it's better than nothing...

D. When u download an app from Google playstore, and it works, u don't upgrade it to prevent incompability issues right?
    You can upgrade - and you should upgrade. The only app I found that I shouldn't supposedly to upgrade is the 'Snapchat'. Now I can no longer use it..

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 11:34 AM
    Yeah that's what I meant, passport hardware is great.
    Thread title tweaked a bit since it wasn't about "downsides of Passport" I particular, but of BB10 platform in general.
    clickitykeys and Superfly_FR like this.
    06-14-15 11:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    If BlackBerry goes android, that is the end of my purchases of BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster and GLTruesdale like this.
    06-14-15 01:40 PM
    If BlackBerry goes android, that is the end of my purchases of BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    A BlackBerry styled os using an android system might be interesting.

BlackBerryaholic by choice.
    thymaster likes this.
    06-14-15 03:42 PM
    This is blackberry's only weakness really, and unfortunately it's probably considered a critical weakness for the majority of users.

There's no question that when it comes to communication blackberry absolutely shines brighter than the competition. However, people need more than that.

Blackberry needs to figure out a way to get full android app functionality or they will slowly die off.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    nokia4life likes this.
    06-14-15 05:11 PM
    I definitely feel your pain on #3. This morning I was looking in both BB World and Amazon App Store and I was shocked to see that Yelp wasn't in either! Pinterest and a couple of other high profile social media apps were in Amazon, but not Yelp. It was strange.
    06-14-15 06:45 PM
    Again and again, another option for BlackBerry other than putting Android OS on their devices is to invest on the most commonly used apps and popular games - and they will be profitable again...

Posted via CB10
    Trauma Surgeon and phuoc like this.
    06-14-15 08:20 PM
    Again and again, another option for BlackBerry other than putting Android OS on their devices is to invest on the most commonly used apps and popular games - and they will be profitable again...

Posted via CB10
    I agree lol. This way bb10 can still focus on enterprise but at least have the most commonly used apps available natively too.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 10:53 PM
    Valid points,
    You have to be little geek to get full benefit of BB10,
    They are trying to concentrate on Enterprise but at the same time BB must not ignore popular segment which is real play ground and most important factor for survival.
    And with such a capable OS why they are unable to attract developers is just a mystery. The BB10 OS can work in both scenario.
    What it needs is a Push in right direction.
    06-15-15 01:09 AM
    Well op you can't have everything in one. You can only have one over the other. Passport is more business friendly and iPhones is more media friendly. Just like other users on here done, get both phones to enjoy the best of both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 01:51 AM
59 123