Amazon has already sent my new Passport to me and I am about to send back my old one that warped.

I thought I would share the pics with everyone.

Curves up on the right side of picture (desk is level)
    My Passport "warped" and screen lifted-img_20150213_133110.jpg

Curves up on the left side of picture (desk is level)
    My Passport "warped" and screen lifted-img_20150213_133122.jpg

The screen is lifting on the left side of picture
    My Passport "warped" and screen lifted-img_20150213_133134.jpg

Here is the internal info:
    Date code: Nov 18 2014
    Attachment 333898
    Attachment 333894
    Attachment 333895

I REALLY REALLY hope my new one doesn't do the same thing. Everyday I look at the new one and check if the screen is lifting in the same spot as the old one (that was the first thing I noticed).

Details for everyone as I am sure people will ask:
    - never ever dropped
    - screen first lifted 1/16" just above the letter "P" and slowly got worse. Lifts about 1/4" now
    - sometimes tight jeans worn but nothing crazy tight
    - I work construction and have it in my front pocket always (never in back pocket)
    - it has had the official blackberry case on it from day one
    - warped after 1 month of use
    - I love blackberry phones and have been using them since the Bold 9000

Does anyone know if this is just a batch issue?
    Will this happen to my new one as well?
    Anyone else had this problem?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by brian4591; 02-15-15 at 11:14 PM.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    02-13-15 03:47 PM
    looks like the battery swelled and bust the phone.
    ZEDTROSPEKTIV likes this.
    02-13-15 03:54 PM
    I've seen some posts where this has been a problem, but I just think it's a bad batch. These phones should not warp like that.

Posted via CB10
    brian4591 likes this.
    02-13-15 03:56 PM
    They will all bend in a corkscrew motion. Structurally the phone has next to no reinforcement along the top and bottom edges. If you don't want it to bend, keep it out of your pockets. Alternatively, get a very rigid case, or buy a red or white Passport since the stiffer back (different material) helps strengthen the phone.

@battery swelling comment above, the battery is physically separated from the screen. If it did swell, it would only affect the back of the phone, and even that, if it swelled enough to affect the back, it would probably leak and/or explode way before that.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 06:22 PM
    They will all bend in a corkscrew motion. Structurally the phone has next to no reinforcement along the top and bottom edges. If you don't want it to bend, keep it out of your pockets. Alternatively, get a very rigid case, or buy a red or white Passport since the stiffer back (different material) helps strengthen the phone.

@battery swelling comment above, the battery is physically separated from the screen. If it did swell, it would only affect the back of the phone, and even that, if it swelled enough to affect the back, it would probably leak and/or explode way before that.

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm... your comment dejanh is quite interesting.
    I've read several forums on this issue of screen lifting and warping of the body frame. And yes, most of them were the black ones.

Hoping that others could read this, is anyone of those who experienced screen lifting using a white or red passport???

Could it really be because of a "bad batch"?
    Could there really be an explanation to the earlier date of built having risk of these problems?
    If it is, it's just sad that it turned out that way. If this is proven, ideally BlackBerry should recall this batch and replace it accordingly.

Posted via my Pretty WhiteBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    02-13-15 10:24 PM
    @mbamd

Well can we put your white one through the ringer and see if we can warp it? Just to see if his logic was correct

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 10:32 PM
    I can confirm that It is not a batch issues since I have had my black passport replaced three times over past three months, and sadly all have warped (twisted) like the op in my front pocket of dress pants. And it doesnt take more than couple weeks of normal use to twist the phone.

You can easily twist back the phone with minimal force, but it wont be perfect again. Now I gave up on it, and trying to keep the phone out of my pocket aLl the times.

Interestingly I did not have the twist issue with my red passport, but that could be due to the fact that I use it much less frequently than the black one.

Hmm.. I also would like to know that this issue is more common to the black one only?

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 10:40 PM
    I don't think the black Passport's back material is any less rigid than the white/red's.

Just because it has a soft texture doesn't mean it is actually rubbery. The top sd/sim card piece has the same texture and is rigid.

The screen separation issue is due to adhesive failure and the screen basically being held by pressure in between the two metal bands. There is no crimping or any type of lip holding it, so once the adhesive gives way and the metal bands open up a bit,.. you're out of luck.

I've had mine since a few days after launch and it still perfect. But I've always kept it in a spring clip type holster (had to make a DIY one for those early days before Seidio offered theirs).

Seems like a design that works fine when everything is perfect, but doesn't have much tolerance for less than ideal assembly.

Posted via CB10
    brian4591 likes this.
    02-13-15 10:43 PM
    Have had mine for over 3 months. Have oem soft case for about a month. Always carry in front pocket. Be they loose dress pants or tight end jeans. Still flat as the day I received it. I am from Canada and mine was made in Mexico. Mine definitely does not bend easy at al. I am not saying that others don't but you can't make a blanket statement that they all can be twisted easily. That is just not the case.

Posted CB10->BB Passport
    02-13-15 11:11 PM
    @brian4591

Hahaha! You're funny man. And you think yours is what's logical???

@destiny.seeker and AnimalPak200

Sorry to hear about your 3 warped black ones, destiny.seeker.

I think it may not necessarily be related to the color but on the overall built of the device. I'm not into engineering, but I think maybe it's the framework of the Passport that makes it vulnerable to opposing forces it may encounter when it's in the pants pocket (as opposed to when it's in the shirt or jacket).

I also agree that you may be screwed if the adhesive gives and the steel frame separates/expands away from the screen and body.
    I think we really have to house the Passport in a protective case to reinforce the steel frame and screen to stay in place and to avoid if we can, putting them in pants pockets. Since twisting pressures may occur especially when sitting down.

Posted via my Pretty WhiteBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    02-13-15 11:15 PM
    It should be the same for Black or White or Red. I guess there is not yet a complaint relating to the White or Red because there are less of them sold and people who own them do handle them differently.
    The Passport would be twisted because of its size alone. In addition, the frame is not a one piece continuous all around which make it easier to be twisted. The top steel bar is on its flat side when being twisted, meaning less in thickness and hence less force required. Moreover, this top bar is not going straight all the way from one side to another, but zigzagging (if there is such a word) back and ford, up and down where the headphone jack and the power button are. This creates multiple weak points to along the top bar. If it were one straight solid bar, thing would've been much different.

Posted from my Passport
    02-13-15 11:21 PM
    Mine has a slight bend or curve to it aswell. Whatever can't complain as It's in my back pocket often. Still a rock solid phone and no screen lifting yet. I just try and put it in my pocket the opposite way so hopefully won't get worse and maybe even bend back a little. Doesn't bother me as I tend to blow through phones quickly, Z30 lasted pretty good but if BlackBerry can't speed up the OS updates Passport will be the last. No way in hell am I waiting another year for an OS update.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 11:29 PM
    Posted via Passport.
    Marcin Dabrowsky likes this.
    02-14-15 12:44 AM
    Posted via Passport.
    LOL, great comment. I think it is more your name with the blank comment that made me laugh
    Mr4aces likes this.
    02-14-15 12:49 AM
    Are all the black and white passports have this issue?

Posted via BlackBerry z10
    02-14-15 01:10 AM
    Did you know the build date before sending it back?

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 04:13 AM
    Are all the black and white passports have this issue?

Posted via BlackBerry z10
    Smh. This is being blown out of proportion. All black and white Passports do not have this issue.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 04:20 AM
    Evey new phone of the large breed appears to have issues, probably best because of their sizes

IPhone 6 and 6 plus bend

Nokia Lumia 930 screen lifting

Sony z3 and compact glass splitting on its own

BB passport screen lift

But it's all overblown

Consumer reports found that the HTC one m8 blends at a lower weight than the iPhone's, but no ones complained.

Samsung note 4 has some slither thin gaps between the screen and bezel, no one is really complaining.

Basically as we passed the 5 inch mark, phones have become a little less durable with our demand for large but thin phones.

Unless they start doing full titanium frames or carbon fibre shells, you'll have to live with that fact that they are less durable than the sub 4.5 inch phones.

Phones are still tough, but don't expect 1999 Nokia levels of tough.
    Last edited by cirian75; 02-14-15 at 01:19 PM.
    moosbb and SaraVibes like this.
    02-14-15 04:48 AM
    Evey new phone of the large breed appears to have issues, probably best because of their sizes

IPhone 6 and 6 plus bend

Nokia Lumia 930 screen life

Sony z3 and compact glass splitting on its own

BB passport screen lift

But it's all overblown

Consumer reports found that the HTC one m8 blends at a lower weight than the iPhone's, but no ones complained.

Samsung note 4 has some slither thin gaps between the screen and bezel, no one is really complaining.

Basically as we passed the 5 inch mark, phones have become a little less durable with our demand for large but thin phones.

Unless they start doing full titanium frames or carbon fibre shells, you'll have to live with that fact that they are less durable than the sub 4.5 inch phones.

Phones are still tough, but don't expect 1999 Nokia levels of tough.
    Well as they say, the devil is in the details. The iPhone 6 does bend easily at its most structurally 'weak point, near the volume rocker. When people say bend they are not specifically talking about the mid point on a phone. The consumer report that stated the M8 takes less pressure did their test only in the centered horizontal portion of both phones.
    Likewise, on this forum people state the passport doesn't bend easily which is correct. What it does do however is twist. Strong on the sides, not as strong on the top and bottom of the frame.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 08:47 AM
    brian4591 - I recommend the Seidio Case/Holster combo. I carried my PP in my front pocket for a while and I was very concerned by the leverage applied to it while doing certain activities, particularly sitting down into my vehicle. The amount of force applied can be very significant. Smaller phones would not see that force because they could move into a spot in the pocket where they were safe. The PP size sometimes doesn't allow it to float to a safe spot with neutral force. Imagine clamping one end of the PP in a vice with the other end extended out into the air and then stepping on the extended end. If the clamp holds tight you'd be putting mega force on the phone. It likely would not hold up to that for long. Same thing in your pocket.

Posted via CB10
    brian4591 likes this.
    02-14-15 08:48 AM
    It is a huge phone and will bent if you have it in your front jeans pockets while you go down on your knees. One time might be enough.
    That is the case with every huge phone and has nothing to do with the Passport itself.
    02-14-15 08:54 AM
    There's no force pushing the screen away from frame unless the Passport bends or twists. In order to separate the glue the screen probably has to pull away laterally when the frame is twisted. Once the glue has been separated then the screen can lift up. The glue is probably weaker if it isn't fully cured or if heated up.

The screen is actually part of what keeps the Passport rigid. Think of that thin cardboard that you have to nail onto the back of a cheap bookcase. It keeps it from collapsing.
    Last edited by early2bed; 02-14-15 at 09:26 AM.
    02-14-15 09:05 AM
    Had mine warped slightly. Every once in a while just place on flat surface and just check it. If warped slightly, just twist with your finger on opposite side, it should goes back flat. I never use tight pants but yes I place it on my front pocket. I have the feeling the screen lifting is a matter of time, if I forgot to check the flatness of the phone and forget to twist the phone back.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 09:27 AM
    Is there a belt holster for this phone? I wouldn't want to carry it in a pocket.

Z30STA100-5 /10.3.1.2267 / T-Mobile USA
    02-14-15 09:44 AM
    some countries, pick pocket are quite common. Belt holster is a no, if you want to keep your passport for a while. Well, you can also keep your passport at home and use smaller phone while going out. No?

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 09:59 AM
87 123 ...