I honestly would never consider a Z30 over a Passport. As long as you do your due diligence and check the device thoroughly for any screen give and issues with sticky keys, you'll be OK. The Passport is a great device. Just the BlackBerry support blows.

Posted via CB10
    But this issue was not apparent when you first got the device. So over time, it is possible that the tape will give. Additionally you might have found a place where there might be a certain amount of warping, as you described.
    It sounds as if the Z30 might actually be the more solid of the two devices, if that is a consideration.

Personally I always get cases. But then again, a lifting screen might not be prevented with a case. Unless one were to get an Otterbox Defender which covers the whole of the device.

Posted from my gorgeous, pristine white BEAST of a Note 4.
    10-27-14 01:19 PM
    But this issue was not apparent when you first got the device. So over time, it is possible that the tape will give. Additionally you might have found a place where there might be a certain amount of warping, as you described.
    It sounds as if the Z30 might actually be the more solid of the two devices, if that is a consideration.

Personally I always get cases. But then again, a lifting screen might not be prevented with a case. Unless one were to get an Otterbox Defender which covers the whole of the device.

Posted from my gorgeous, pristine white BEAST of a Note 4.
    Definitely a case won't prevent this issue. It is also true that the issue could develop over time. This is precisely what happened to me. However, I do believe that if you get a Passport that does not have any screen give on either of the two bottom corners you're basically safe. The adhesive is likely applied well and holding strong. However, if the corners "breathe" then I'd stay away from that device. Just my $0.02.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 01:24 PM
    Really nervous about getting a passport now. Not even released in SA yet. Probably get a Z30 instead.

Posted via zedten
    I was thinking the same actually. The Z30 is going for about R4500 now. The Passport will be roughly double that price. And then I thought to myself that my Z10 is still kicking a** and taking names so there really is no need for a new phone.

Still fancy the Passport though. I'd say if you have 9grand lying around, go for the Passport, it's a pretty epic device.

Z10STL1_10.3.0.1418
    10-27-14 02:34 PM
    It's not clear from your pictures. Is the gorilla Glass separating from the LCD or is the screen held into a plastic frame and lifting from the plastic frame?

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 03:17 PM
    It's not clear from your pictures. Is the gorilla Glass separating from the LCD or is the screen held into a plastic frame and lifting from the plastic frame?

Posted via CB10
    Lifting from the frame. It was described earlier in the thread.

On a totally different note, I just received an RMA shipping label from Shop BlackBerry but I neither have an RMA in process nor any information what is going on. Seriously, how messy can these guys get?

Now I have to phone them tonight to see what is this in relation to and whether after all of this struggle and mess they have in fact issued an advance replacement to me. *facepalm*

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 03:24 PM
    On a totally different note, I just received an RMA shipping label from Shop BlackBerry but I neither have an RMA in process nor any information what is going on. Seriously, how messy can these guys get?

Posted via CB10
    For both phones or only the one you bought from Shopblackberry?
    10-27-14 03:50 PM
    Digital River is horrible. But, at least there is a 30 day money back guarantee.

OP, It was madness to try to fix it yourself. Why risk more damage when you could have simply returned the device and gotten your money back? Did the OP truly rule out a misshapen frame as a cause? If so, the screen will pop up again. You bent it another way thinking you've fixed it? Better hope you did a good job or else it the screen will separate someplace else.

11 pages over this with all the usual suspects coming out of the woodwork. It is not worth a few bucks saved on a coupon.

I'm waiting for the next thread in which the OP has some other problem and BlackBerry won't then take it back. Will it be BlackBerry's fault that you disassembled your phone?

All products built by man have some number of manufacturing defects. This is true whatever the manufacturer. This is why everyone from Apple to Samsung offer warranties. The usual suspects can hide their heads in the sand all they want but this is true.

This is BlackBerry's first try at selling a new device directly to consumers. They have done a horrible job of it. They are aware of the problem and we can all hope it gets fixed in the near future.

Personally, I agree with the sentiment that Amazon should handle all sales. Digital River is not up to the job.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 04:18 PM
    For both phones or only the one you bought from Shopblackberry?
    I have no clue. They never issued me an RMA or so much as hinted they would. All I received is a resounding no. By the looks of it it's related to just the Shop BlackBerry device but I really don't know at all.

I can definitely say I'm not sending anything back to them until I receive something otherwise I may be left without the device all together and the money in their bank lol.

Posted via CB10
    Aahleksh likes this.
    10-27-14 05:20 PM
    Digital River is horrible. But, at least there is a 30 day money back guarantee.

OP, It was madness to try to fix it yourself. Why risk more damage when you could have simply returned the device and gotten your money back? Did the OP truly rule out a misshapen frame as a cause? If so, the screen will pop up again. You bent it another way thinking you've fixed it? Better hope you did a good job or else it the screen will separate someplace else.

11 pages over this with all the usual suspects coming out of the woodwork. It is not worth a few bucks saved on a coupon.

I'm waiting for the next thread in which the OP has some other problem and BlackBerry won't then take it back. Will it be BlackBerry's fault that you disassembled your phone?

All products built by man have some number of manufacturing defects. This is true whatever the manufacturer. This is why everyone from Apple to Samsung offer warranties. The usual suspects can hide their heads in the sand all they want but this is true.

This is BlackBerry's first try at selling a new device directly to consumers. They have done a horrible job of it. They are aware of the problem and we can all hope it gets fixed in the near future.

Personally, I agree with the sentiment that Amazon should handle all sales. Digital River is not up to the job.

Posted via CB10
    This wasn't a coupon device. It was bought for full retail and unlocked by me. Repairing it was risky, sure, but I repair plenty of phones as a hobby, so I'm not a stranger to it. Likelihood that I would bust it was relatively minimal. If the device develops a more severe problem I will be SOL, but nobody can predict that. Realistically, I'd have to have a major failure of the motherboard in order for it to not be repairable. Since those components rarely spontaneously break, it's likely that kind of damage would involve some serious physical damage, which in itself would have voided the warranty. In all, it really does not matter any more as far as the phone goes. It's working great now for me so that's what matters. This is now more a discussion about BlackBerry customer service and what happens with the other device from Shop BlackBerry.

I do generally agree with what you've said and I don't recommend the average person to do what I did. For starters, you have to have the right tools and parts. If you don't you'll make things worse instead of better.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 05:30 PM
    This is one phone, one instance. Not saying there aren't others but having dealt with the public for more years than I want to admit, I know there are two sides to most stories.

I'm with others above - you received an opportunity to send it back and have this admittedly pita situation resolved. Time to do that and give those who may be trying to help you out, somewhat of a chance.

With all due respect.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 07:18 PM
    This is one phone, one instance. Not saying there aren't others but having dealt with the public for more years than I want to admit, I know there are two sides to most stories.

I'm with others above - you received an opportunity to send it back and have this admittedly pita situation resolved. Time to do that and give those who may be trying to help you out, somewhat of a chance.

With all due respect.

Posted via CB10
    With all due respect, did you read the thread, or even the last few posts? Nobody from BlackBerry side has offered to "help". A few good ideas were raised here. Once it's all said and done I'll probably publish my experience somewhere for everyone to see just to drive the point that this type of stuff can't stay quiet and just be brushed aside.

Anyway, once I sort out what this mystery FedEx label is for and why I'll update the thread.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 07:25 PM
    Yes have read all of it.

Which is why I think you'd be better served, and get your issue resolved sooner, if as much effort was spent to resolve it directly with the seller as has been spent in posting all of this.

I'm not trying to provoke; I'm just saying there is usually a reasonable resolution available from a company who sells you something.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 07:33 PM
    That is certainly correct as far as the law of England goes. In simple terms your contractual rights are where you pay your money (privity of contract) subject to terms of business and any *additional* rights given or offered by a manufacturer, they can't remove statutory rights but they can offer more. If a buyer finds a failure which is covered only by warranty (e.g. a failure after some extended time) the written terms of the warranty as accepted during the sale/purchase apply. For goods found defective when supplied (e.g. very early failure or DOA) then consumer laws would also apply if the item is substantially not fit for purpose, and the buyer's rights in this case are entirely against the seller.

That may not be the case in other worldwide jurisdictions, and I'm not even sure if it is mirrored in Scottish law.
    This is pretty much true in the whole of Canada. That said, consumer protection legislation, is a pretty low bar, allowing the seller to contract out of many things. Potential plus for Quebec: the Civil Code does provide for recovery in the case of latent defects. Sadly, it is unlikely that I could take advantage of this because my contract is with amazon.com in the US, as part of my effort to save USD100 plus tax. You win some, you lose some...

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    10-27-14 07:37 PM
    Just got off the phone with Digital River. Finally we're getting somewhere. I spoke to a gentleman named James, a supervisor/manager from the Philippines support team for DR. He was extremely pleasant and very helpful actually. He has indicated that they cannot do a replacement as such or an advance replacement, however, he has offered instead to honor the original device pricing and shipping, whenever the new device comes back in stock. I was also issued a prepaid label for the affected device that is valid for just over 30 days. That should be sufficient time for me to be able to order a new device, or so I hope at least. I'm going to wait things out until I have a new order coming before I send anything back.

***NOTE THAT THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DEVICE WITH THE SEPARATING SCREEN. THAT DEVICE HAS BEEN FIXED BY ME SINCE BLACKBERRY WOULD NOT WARRANTY IT***

Just a friendly public advisory
    Last edited by dejanh; 10-28-14 at 12:42 AM.
    reeneebob and Aahleksh like this.
    10-28-14 12:29 AM
    Yes have read all of it.

Which is why I think you'd be better served, and get your issue resolved sooner, if as much effort was spent to resolve it directly with the seller as has been spent in posting all of this.

I'm not trying to provoke; I'm just saying there is usually a reasonable resolution available from a company who sells you something.

Posted via CB10
    Again, if you had read the thread you would have known that he did exactly that. He spoke to/ was on hold for HOURS with the relevant resellers and BlackBerry. Jesus, dude. The point is that there was no reasonable resolution. The only resolution he got was a big "no" from every party regarding the separating screen. That is why he had to fix it himself.

OP, if I was rich know that I would send you a new phone but I am just a poor graduate student :/ I'm really sorry that this happened to you.
    10-28-14 05:24 AM
    I have followed this thread and even suggested a thing or two, the real take away here is BlackBerry does not do direct warranty work. They rely on the distribution channels. I think that can probably be said for all vendors (remember Apple is its own Distro channel). But I bet dollars to doughnuts that if you bought your Passport in the BlackBerry shop in Dubia it would have been replaced vs Telus.

Now that's consumer side, what about enterprise consumers? I'd be interested to hear what the difference is with the warranty.

From a laptop perspective (actually all type hardware), I have RMA'd plenty of different vendor hardware, in some cases the company wants it shipped to a depot for repair, others I get onsite work. Really depends on the level of warranty, only time I have seen a replacement device is when there isn't parts to repair something still under warranty.
    10-28-14 02:13 PM
    Now that's consumer side, what about enterprise consumers? I'd be interested to hear what the difference is with the warranty.
    I think if you are big enough they train your own personnel to service the phones and supply the parts.

Bla1ze may be able to answer this, but I was told one of the larger hospitals in Halifax had a BlackBerry guy on staff to deal with the phones issued to the staff.
    10-28-14 02:19 PM
    I hope people do realize the amazing length of posts by the OP. The screen may be lose, but the keyboard sure thing does its job well!

Dejo, care

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 02:37 PM
    A client of ours, going by an acronym GRG, has a dedicated BlackBerry channel and they have any BlackBerry phone replaced in under 24hrs

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 02:39 PM
    Sorry have to unsubscribe from this thread, we get the point but your the only one posting this issue. Time to move on. Sorry for you, cheers

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Lightower; 10-28-14 at 06:11 PM.
    Tompire likes this.
    10-28-14 03:52 PM
    Sorry have to unsubscribe be from this thread, we get the point but your the only one posting this issue. Time to move on. Sorry for you, cheers

Posted via CB10
    Lol, this isn't a popularity contest.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 05:53 PM
    Lol, this isn't a popularity contest.

Posted via CB10
    He's just saying it may be a isolated issue. We would see a lot more complaints if this was an issue for everyone.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 05:55 PM
    sorry, a little troll cleanup needed. They don't like to be banned it appears
    reeneebob and jakie55 like this.
    10-28-14 06:25 PM
    He's just saying it may be a isolated issue. We would see a lot more complaints if this was an issue for everyone.

Posted via CB10
    Not really since most consumers do not post to blogs
    dejanh likes this.
    10-28-14 06:29 PM
    dejanh, I sent you a PM...
    10-28-14 09:13 PM
424 ... 7891011 ...