11-12-14 03:00 PM
424 12345 ...
tools
    I wonder if this could be caused by the battery slightly swelling up when they are being charged. Had that happen with a kindle e book reader once popped a corner of the kindle out. I popped it back in later with out any problem

Posted via CB10
    Very interesting hypothesis and you?re most likely correct. warranty time.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 06:35 AM
    No issue with mine and I would like you to compare how I treat mine to most of you. I'm a blue collar worker and it's either in my jeans, construction pocket or in my truck.

No holster, sleeve, or anything yet since my sleeve hasn't arrived. Love this bloody phone.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-23-14 06:43 AM
    It's unfortunate, OP. Hope you have some sort of guarantee/warranty to be able to replace the device. Some of us can be unlucky.
    10-23-14 06:53 AM
    I noticed you have quite a few air bubbles on your screen .....have you been trying to get them out and pressing really hard on the screen??? Yesterday after I screwed up my install of the screen protector I asked a telus guy to do it and he really was pressing hard ,I had concerns but my screen is OK so far.Tell the truth!!!LOL
    that is the factory protector on a new device that he isnt using...
    10-23-14 09:39 AM
    I noticed you have quite a few air bubbles on your screen .....have you been trying to get them out and pressing really hard on the screen??? Yesterday after I screwed up my install of the screen protector I asked a telus guy to do it and he really was pressing hard ,I had concerns but my screen is OK so far.Tell the truth!!!LOL
    Even if the op was applying pressure, there is no reason that the screen to be lifting away from the body. Point blank it's a defective device, a lemon if you will, and BlackBerry should replace it.

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    10-23-14 10:04 AM
    Seriously though, is BlackBerry the only manufacturer in the world that always wants you to go through your point of sale for any warranty? Sure the phone came from Telus, however, it's made by BlackBerry. Why the hell does Telus have anything to do with it. They gave their "15 days to return". That's up, so now it's supposed to be BlackBerry's turn. Honestly, if they don't take care of this crap for me ASAP and make me run through hoops along the way, I am so done with this company.

"Customer service? O_o What's that? What, you mean we make the Passport and should warranty it? For real?!"
    I've posted my comments about their service a few times and been attacked by people that are quick to defend BlackBerry. People fail to realize just because they don't have a problem doesn't mean others don't and when, or if you do, you will feel like a tumbleweed blowing down a deserted highway.

Fact that BlackBerry makes a great product they have zero costumer service. Obviously it's a legacy thing with them where they have always operated their claims via carriers, or direct with enterprise/corporate customers.

If BlackBerry had half the customer service like Apple does then warranty work, replacements, etc would be a fairly easy and painless for the vast majority of people who do experience an issue.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by robert_in_la; 10-23-14 at 10:39 AM.
    10-23-14 10:16 AM
    I agree with this, they really have horrible customer service. Give it a try and call there 30 day free service option it's terrible. I suppose they don't have the deep pockets to afford it I guess.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-23-14 11:06 AM
    I don't yet have a passport. But I noticed something interesting..
    While looking at a demo unit(live phone, not a brick) in store I decided to give it the bend test. Top to bottom this thing is solid. No argument.
    On the other axis (A to L direction on the keyboard) I noticed a fair amount of flexing. The phone flexed more at the top end than the bottom(i could be remembering this backwards)
    My point is that perhaps this sideways flexing night be related to the screen lifting up. Maybe the phone is flexing under pressure and the screen resists flexing causing it to detach at the sides or corners?
    Any thoughts on this? Does your passport bend in the same way? Does the screen bend as well?

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 12:41 PM
    While looking at a demo unit(live phone, not a brick) in a store I decided to give it the bend test.
    Why would you do that...?
    10-23-14 12:46 PM
    I don't yet have a passport. But I noticed something interesting..
    While looking at a demo unit(live phone, not a brick) in store I decided to give it the bend test. Top to bottom this thing is solid. No argument.
    On the other axis (A to L direction on the keyboard) I noticed a fair amount of flexing. The phone flexed more at the top end than the bottom(i could be remembering this backwards)
    My point is that perhaps this sideways flexing night be related to the screen lifting up. Maybe the phone is flexing under pressure and the screen resists flexing causing it to detach at the sides or corners?
    Any thoughts on this? Does your passport bend in the same way? Does the screen bend as well?

Posted via CB10
    That's an interesting thought. When typing, you apply a lot of lateral pressure, from left to right, not top to bottom. Also, your fingers rest on the back of the device in such a way that the device sits in your hand almost like a teeter-totter that is somewhat supported on both ends, which also means that there is pivot point when your are typing (it's hard to explain, so excuse me if I'm not coming across clearly). If the device is flexing left to right and the adhesive isn't adequate, this would perfectly explain why the screen eventually starts to detach either at the lower right or lower left corner. So far the screen has never showed any flexing, breathing, or detaching on any of my 5 devices at the top corners. Only at the bottom corners.

In fact, I think that because of the design of the frame, this device very likely flexes diagonally as well. The side frame is very rigid stainless steel, but the top and bottom pieces are very thin comparatively.
    MarsupilamiX and anon(870071) like this.
    10-23-14 01:08 PM
    Yep mine is solid never stick in a confined area where pressure is put on the phone also i put a thread in a while ago , maby 6 times i dropped it on concrete,steel, hardwood floor sorry to hear about that but I've seen a couple of threads complaining about this issue.

Posted from my passport via the Canadian great north

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 01:19 PM
    Had this phone for a few weeks so far it's solid, hopefully it just a small number of devices

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 01:23 PM
    One more update from last night. The screen came apart more than earlier in the day and the loose adhesive was exposed, parts of it hanging from the screen and parts lifting from the frame. I removed a small strip of it that was lose, just to take a look. It's not surprising to me at all that the screen separated. The tape is the standard 3M double sided black tape that isn't very good to begin with, but the width of the strip is only about 1mm, if not less. Considering that the screen is not perfectly fitted to the frame, it's no surprise that it came apart as easily as this. I actually just realized that the "dust" that was collecting on the side of the screen where it came apart was actually sticking to the exposed tape and that only about 2/3 of the width, so only about 0.67mm width was actually making contact with the glass panel to glue it in place.

I have to say that I am actually very disappointed at the QC on these devices. So many of them are leaving the factory imperfect, or even defective. I'm also quite confident in saying that the screen lifting/splitting issue will develop for more people. I say that with confidence after seeing the adhesive and how it was done. It's just a matter of time before it starts lifting.

I suspect that later batches of devices will be better, but the first batches definitely have build issues. I'm still trying to work with Telus or BlackBerry, or someone, to get this device swapped out. I really don't think many of you get how difficult this process with with BlackBerry, and I do hope that none of you have to go through the same thing.
    10-23-14 01:40 PM
    Why would you do that...?
    I didn't use much force, i was gentle...

That's why i brought it up. With not much force it flexes side to side..

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 01:49 PM
    In previous post, you indicate your difficulty in dealing with Digital River with respect to this issue and now you say Telus. Whom did you buy from?

EDIT: replying to dejanh

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 01:50 PM
    Maybe I did. Maybe there are two Mexico 6s, one real one and one "alternate". Doesn't change the facts. 10 years with BlackBerry as the primary device, and their comeback device that I love, well it's a dud. That makes me very unhappy.

Posted via CB10
    It's not a "dud"!

Agenda at work.
    10-23-14 02:31 PM
    I'm glad I'm in the UK. Your first year of warranty is with the shop you bought it from, the second is manufacturer who have to abide by UK/EU rules.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 02:47 PM
    In previous post, you indicate your difficulty in dealing with Digital River with respect to this issue and now you say Telus. Whom did you buy from?

EDIT: replying to dejanh

Posted via CB10
    The device with the screen splitting/lifting is a device bought outright from Telus. The second device, the one I showed with the bleeding LED, gap above the screen, and the key issue is from Shop BlackBerry (i.e., Digital River). Sorry, I probably should have been more clear. I actually wanted to deal with BlackBerry for both devices, but they are brushing their hands off of the device that originated from Telus since BlackBerry wasn't the seller (you know, because they didn't make the device, Telus did <_<).

It's not a "dud"!

Agenda at work.
    I love these comments. No, it's reading comprehension fail. My device is a dud, not the whole Passport launch.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    10-23-14 02:50 PM
    Now I'm getting nervous. I'm getting my Passport replaced through Amazon because only one of the letter keys makes a loud click when pressed slightly off-centre, and I'm concerned it might loosen over time and fall out. However, it's feeling like a game of chance based on the threads I've seen, because the replacement may:
    1. Take a long time to come (Amazon still says out of stock).
    2. Have this screen separation problem.
    3. Have dead/stuck pixels.
    4. Have dust under the screen.
    5. Have stuck keys.

OP, I appreciate your situation. Having to go through a carrier is a nightmare because customer service is staffed by non-technical people who are just reading off a sheet of paper. CB readers have already ensured the basics and are calling because there is truly no solution other than a replacement, but the carrier makes this so painful beyond the first 15 days after purchase. I have this rebooting issue that was not cured by the OS update. The carrier refused to replace it (the OS update took a little while to be released), they want to send it somewhere and diagnose it. Except their choice of loaner phones is a dumbphone or a Curve running OS6. And they refuse to connect me to Blackberry, who knows the underlying cause behind the reboots. If I could have spoken to someone technical at the company, maybe I could do things that would minimize the reboot frequency.

If Blackberry begins using a non-carrier sales model, they'd better adjust their customer support policy.
    dejanh likes this.
    10-23-14 02:58 PM
    I bet 1/1000 are probably defective.
    I like how you make up some number with absolutely no facts behind it.
    10-23-14 04:01 PM
    Without a complete relationship I can see how your warranty process is broke. Since you are generally working outside of the norm with how you acquire and use the equipment (assuming most do a same carrier supplied/provisioned for communication item) the standard, go back to who you bought it from isn't working, its all about how to escalate with BB. If you present it more then a solitary customer, you could get faster traction. Be honest I have never dealt with there customer service, but I would try to somehow over state your position 'Evaluating for my company...' etc.
    10-23-14 04:16 PM
    Without a complete relationship I can see how your warranty process is broke. Since you are generally working outside of the norm with how you acquire and use the equipment (assuming most do a same carrier supplied/provisioned for communication item) the standard, go back to who you bought it from isn't working, its all about how to escalate with BB. If you present it more then a solitary customer, you could get faster traction. Be honest I have never dealt with there customer service, but I would try to somehow over state your position 'Evaluating for my company...' etc.
    This is a good angle. I will try it. I have a scheduled call with BlackBerry support at 7pm PST tonight.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 04:36 PM
    I have had an issue with 2 Q10's and another DR issue in the past, I have nothing but great things to say about the process but there is one key

YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHO TO TALK TO
    10-23-14 06:18 PM
    I have had an issue with 2 Q10's and another DR issue in the past, I have nothing but great things to say about the process but there is one key

And how to talk to them.
    10-23-14 06:37 PM

And how to talk to them.
    Goes for any customer support, and it's also situational, and depends on who you get on the other side. It's easy to say "know who to talk to", much more difficult to actually figure out the "who".
    10-23-14 07:18 PM
424 12345 ...