11-12-14 03:00 PM
424 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    So.....i bought a car.....brand new.........turns out to be a lemon........no big..........i get a new car.........problem corrected and I am happy
    That was easy

STL100-4 OS10.2.1.2976
    If you bought a phone from BlackBerry on the other hand...

Posted via CB10
    Mic_JP likes this.
    10-31-14 09:36 PM
    I have never had to bring back a phone, but I think the carrier would need to be main point of warranty contact (as others mentioned) I have brought many things back to Best Buy for example and they honored the warrant from the manufacturer as they are required to. Don't think I have contacted a manufacturer direct. Just did it for a barbecue I even used for a week and seller allowed me to exchange it and I actually switched to a different brand.

If Telus is not honoring it then I would raise stink with them. I use Bell and don't they they would have any issue following through on the appropriate warranty claim. All best in your warranty claim.

Posted with my 5 week old superb Passport!
    10-31-14 09:55 PM
    2 options for users like Theoradu:

1) Admit that BlackBerry screwed over their customer.

2) Try to warp reality so much (reality distortion field says hello) that BlackBerry wasn't at fault in the end.

I congratulate everyone who chose option 2.
    BlackBerry is proud of you.
    You'll get a free Passport tomorrow for that epic endorsement!

Just don't expect any support from them if the phone breaks, because there was no Point of Sale, as it was a gift from BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    I ran into that exact thing when they wouldn't warranty their gift z10 I received. Big reason I no longer carry a BB.
    10-31-14 10:19 PM
    If you bought a phone from BlackBerry on the other hand...

Posted via CB10
    Odd. Plenty of other people easily get their devices replaced within the first few days or even month..... something is missing from this story that were not being told.

Posted via CB10
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    10-31-14 11:52 PM
    Odd. Plenty of other people easily get their devices replaced within the first few days or even month..... something is missing from this story that were not being told.

Posted via CB10
    Nope, nothing is missing. It's simply a hit and miss. Some people get lucky with a rep, others don't. The biggest issue with my "story" is that the phone was bought outright from Telus so neither Telus nor BlackBerry wanted to take responsibility for it. That's it. Some of the other people that had more success bought direct from Shop BlackBerry, but even that was again hit and miss. One person is being dragged through a very long repair process another had to spend several days arguing with various people until things were approved. Yet another person seemingly got an advance RMA in a matter of hours.

As much as you'd like to believe that there is some background to this, I assure you there isn't. BlackBerry simply did not want to deal with the device as they should because it was sold through Telus. Regardless, all of this discussion now is for pure academics sake. I've already voided the warranty on the device by fixing it myself so that's really it as far as the faulty phone is concerned.

Posted via CB10
    solitude1984 likes this.
    11-01-14 02:55 AM
    BlackBerry is not the big bad evil empire, and carriers are not buck passing thugs, as a general rule. However, there are misinformed, lazy, bigoted, lets pass the buck, types in any organization. Thus we can get some who get items replaced without hassle, while others get the run-around. I totally sympathize with those who have not gotten a satisfactory answer to their problems, just as I am pleased for those who either have pristine, well running devices, or prompt appropriate answers to their problems. The answer is not all black and white....(sorry for the pun)
    11-01-14 04:21 AM
    The OP got a bad phone. The phone is in short supply. He is having trouble getting a replacement. Let's discuss this for 300 posts.

If you walked into the Apple store with a bad iPhone 6 plus, do you think you'd get a replacement phone? Of course not. They are out of stock. They would offer you your money back.
    11-01-14 10:02 AM
    If you walked into the Apple store with a bad iPhone 6 plus, do you think you'd get a replacement phone? Of course not. They are out of stock. They would offer you your money back.
    Yes, they would. They have stock reserved for warranty issues. This is a standard business practice for an organization that operates a proper after sales service policy. BlackBerry also has reserved stock as clearly indicated by the ability of some to get a replacement. Their policies on the other hand leave much to be desired.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:43 AM
    I do think Apple would have some to replace. A smart organization, with experience in direct consumer sales wouldn't sell every single unit manufactured, at least not at the company owned stores. They would expect a certain defect rate percentage and likely require the retail outlets to keep X number of units set aside to cover defective unit replacement.

BlackBerry should have done this with the Passport. You replace defective units with new at the launch, repair defective units, and eventually have refurbished units to replace defective units. Because there will always be defective units in any product. And you have a happy, satisfied customer, when you resolve defects and issues quickly. BlackBerry has always had an issue with realizing that the end-user's happiness is the most important factor on how you are viewed by the public at large. Fact a happy/satisfied customer will tell one or two people they are happy with a company/product, but a dissatisfied customer will tell 7 to 10 people that they are not happy with a company/product or the service they received. Any customer service training will tell you this information.

Carriers are known to be horrible, OP should already be unhappy with them for the BS "return" policy and avoid them for future purchases. BlackBerry also has a part in this in that they had no real resolution when their licensed retail partner failed to resolve a clear warranty issue. Simple solution: advanced replacement and have a satisfied customer who may have came here and started a thread about a defect and a company that provided excellent resolution of the issue. Instead we have this.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    11-01-14 10:52 AM
    The OP got a bad phone. The phone is in short supply. He is having trouble getting a replacement. Let's discuss this for 300 posts.

Apple keeps stock in special packaging (no earbuds, cable, etc) for replacement units. So if I walked in with a defective device, I would walk out with a replacement unit.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤
    MarsupilamiX and lnichols like this.
    11-01-14 10:59 AM
    Apple keeps stock in special packaging (no earbuds, cable, etc) for replacement units. So if I walked in with a defective device, I would walk out with a replacement unit.

Yep, precisely what I said above.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 11:02 AM
    Why are you still with Telus if they are so shady? Plenty of carriers out there will buy out your contract to get you to switch. I dont know telus so no idea where they even provide service, but I would go to a competitor and see about switching. Or go to another telus store and talk with them.
    11-01-14 11:06 AM
    Why are you still with Telus if they are so shady? Plenty of carriers out there will buy out your contract to get you to switch. I dont know telus so no idea where they even provide service, but I would go to a competitor and see about switching. Or go to another telus store and talk with them.
    I'm not with Telus. Never was. I bought the phone from them outright and use it with my Bell account. I don't feel particularly upset at Telus. The phone, while defective, is beyond their 15 day return policy anyway. BlackBerry was the entity on the hook and they bombed it.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 11:09 AM
    That might not be possible in all cases. Sometimes coverage is a big decision point.
    Example - I live in the back of beyond. The only carrier of the big three that's got good coverage for me is AT&T. When I briefly carried a 9930 and a 9370 I could not activate devices at home. I had to leave home and drive closer to DC. Of course that was two years or so ago.

11-01-14 11:12 AM
    Search the Internet and find stories of Apple NOT having replacements in stock.

Posted via CB10
    Of course. I'm sure plenty of stores run out of replacement stock. Then the stock gets replenished and the cycle repeats. I don't expect every busy store to have stock all the time. It's very possible for a store to stock out on replacements on a bad day. The policy however is to make sure the customer is happy. Again, with BlackBerry, not so much.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 11:13 AM
    Excuses, excuses.

Getting your money back is not good enough, I guess.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 11:14 AM
    Excuses, excuses.

Getting your money back is not good enough, I guess.

Posted via CB10
    First, that option wasn't an option as the phone was outside Telus return policy. If if it had been an option, it wouldn't have been for me because I need my BlackBerry for work, day in and day out. Would you have liked that I change platforms because of this? Really, this makes no sense.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 11:19 AM
    Of course. I'm sure plenty of stores run out of replacement stock. Then the stock gets replenished and the cycle repeats. I don't expect every busy store to have stock all the time. It's very possible for a store to stock out on replacements on a bad day. The policy however is to make sure the customer is happy. Again, with BlackBerry, not so much.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. Say I go to Pentagon City to replace my device and they haven't got replacement units. I can drive to Reston or Georgetown or Tyson's Corner and pick one up. And if they're out too, I can have one routed to the store from elsewhere for pick up.

Now, if I want to exchange my iPhone 6 for an iPhone 6 Plus they won't give me one of those replacement units because they're intended strictly for exchange of defective devices.

11-01-14 11:21 AM
    I'm not with Telus. Never was. I bought the phone from them outright and use it with my Bell account. I don't feel particularly upset at Telus. The phone, while defective, is beyond their 15 day return policy anyway. BlackBerry was the entity on the hook and they bombed it.

Posted via CB10
    The 15 day policy is to cover then if you change your mind. It does not void Canadian Law and the Fit for Use Act which in most provinces states that the seller is responsible for ensuring the product they sold you is fit for use for a year (usually, but other time spans can apply) . Find the act that applies to your province, call Telus and send it to them. You bought it outright. The hardware warranty does not desolve because you used it with another carrier unless they can prove that using it with another carrier caused the problem.
    again, store policy doesn't supercede Canadian Law. Your issue should be with Telus. Did they sell the product? Yes. Is it fit for use? no. In small claims court this would be a 10 minute case... If Telus let it go that far.
    Elite1 and vpblaze like this.
    11-01-14 11:31 AM
    The 15 day policy is to cover then if you change your mind. It does not void Canadian Law and the Fit for Use Act which in most provinces states that the seller is responsible for ensuring the product they sold you is fit for use for a year (usually, but other time spans can apply) . Find the act that applies to your province, call Telus and send it to them. You bought it outright. The hardware warranty does not desolve because you used it with another carrier unless they can prove that using it with another carrier caused the problem.
    again, store policy doesn't supercede Canadian Law. Your issue should be with Telus. Did they sell the product? Yes. Is it fit for use? no. In small claims court this would be a 10 minute case... If Telus let it go that far.
    I have never heard of this before but I will definitely research it in relation to this and future situations like this (it's not the first time I received bad service from an organization). Thank you for this!

Posted via CB10
    reeneebob and Elite1 like this.
    11-01-14 11:47 AM
    I don't see anything wrong with this thread. In fact, just a couple posts back another potentially useful tidbit of knowledge has been shared. Besides, there is nothing at all wrong with keeping this issue top of mind. If you don't want the thread to keep going, then just stop posting in it and eventually it will go away.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 12:07 PM
    Sorry just to revise the above. It's the Sale of Goods Act you want to research and it depends on what province you are in. Some provinces allow you to sign away your rights, others don't, but that seems irrelevant here unless you signed something stating that the warranty ( not to be confused with a cooling off period) was void if used with another carrier.
    dejanh, reeneebob and Elite1 like this.
    11-01-14 12:12 PM
    I don't see anything wrong with this thread. In fact, just a couple posts back another potentially useful tidbit of knowledge has been shared. Besides, there is nothing at all wrong with keeping this issue top of mind. If you don't want the thread to keep going, then just stop posting in it and eventually it will go away.

Posted via CB10
    This is a Passport forum. This thread no longer has anything to do with a Passport.

Mods, please move this to Rehab.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 12:34 PM
    This is a Passport forum. This thread no longer has anything to do with a Passport.

Mods, please move this to Rehab.

Posted via CB10
    If you don't like it don't read it

My bitchin' Z30 BlackBerry
    lnichols, dejanh, SharonRD and 2 others like this.
    11-01-14 01:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    Reading... Reading... This thread is very helpful so for the love of God or whoever it is you offer your prayers to, please don't shut off the thread.
    SharonRD and reeneebob like this.
    11-01-14 10:26 PM
424 ... 1011121314 ...