Not really since most consumers do not post to blogs
    But something is likely to have come up on Twitter or something

Posted from my PeePee!
    Dave Bourque and LyoobaBerry like this.
    10-29-14 01:44 AM
    I'm quoting all three posts at once because they are all related. I'd like to give everyone an update on what is happening so let's dive right into in, shall we.

After spending another ~2 hours with BlackBerry support on the phone yesterday, they are refusing to handle the warranty as a replacement on either of the two devices. For the device where the screen is splitting, they are waiving all responsibility for it because it was purchased from Telus. They will absolutely not offer any sort of BlackBerry direct support for the product and demand that I deal with the carrier. Basically, they are brushing their hands off of it, though they did offer to talk to Telus with me on the line to try to get them to deal with the issue. Unfortunately, because the Telus phone is more than 15 days from the date of purchase and has had more than 30 minutes of talk time it the only option that Telus would offer, and this is a BIG "if", would be to send the phone in for repair which can take a couple of months and at best will net me a used, refurbished device as a return. So, for the device where the screen is splitting, there is absolutely nothing BlackBerry will do for me, and Telus won't give me a new device either.

For the second device from Shop BlackBerry, that came defective straight from their shop, BlackBerry is also refusing to handle the warranty. They are forcing me to go through Shop BlackBerry, but Shop BlackBerry refuses to issue a replacement. The best that they offered me is either to return the device at my own expense and then re-buy a new device, go through all the waiting, and lose any discount that I received on this particular purchase, or alternatively to send the phone at my own expense for repair, in which case it would be replaced with a refurbished device. So, for the device that was DOA from Shop BlackBerry, there is nothing that BlackBerry will do for me, and Shop BlackBerry is refusing to issue any sort of advance replacement.

Here is the email I received from the support supervisor at BlackBerry in regards to the second device. For the first one with the splitting screen, I don't have anything in an email, though if this charade goes on I will ask them for written record and then post it here.

I will try once more reaching to Shop BlackBerry today and escalate to the management right away in hope that they will finally start to cooperate. I want to note here that I have been very polite, and even raised to their attention the importance of providing good after-sales service when issues arise. I emphasized how long I've been a supporter of BlackBerry, and how many of their devices I own now and have owned over time. Unfortunately none of this had any effect at all.

As for the device with the splitting screen, I am still trying things through Telus since BlackBerry has completely abandoned that device. At the end, I may have to take it upon myself to repair it and hope that I don't destroy it in the process.
    I don't see the problem here:

Phone 1 was bought from Telus, go to them! You didn't buy anything from BlackBerry, there is no warranty or support agreement between you and BlackBerry.
    Phone 2 was bought from BlackBerry and they offered to refund or repair your device.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 06:17 AM
    Crappy deal OP.

There are very few companies out there that have good customer service. I am not saying that everything needs to be given away for free, but companies should try their hardest to solve the issue. Not give the run around! It doesn't sound like it's going to work out for you.
    Not a good Passport experience for you eh.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    dejanh likes this.
    10-29-14 07:01 AM
    Actually I think we should be thankful that BlackBerry refused to replace the devices.
    At least we now have a "guide" with pics on how to repair the device, if it ever happens to someone else.

Now that I think about it, this probably was BlackBerry's plan to begin with.
    They used their intel network, to make out who this annoying guy was, and then saw that he often repaired phones himself in the past already.

As they know that this defect could happen to anyone who got a phone from that batch, they said to themselves that it's probably a better idea to get Dejanh to fix the phone himself, while making a "guide" for everyone else.

And there we thought that BlackBerry's customer service and after sale support just sucks...
    But no! It was actually a plan to help all of the Passport customers that will have issues in the future.
    Isn't that nice?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 10-29-14 at 09:58 AM.
    dejanh, TGR1, Teleo and 5 others like this.
    10-29-14 07:53 AM
    ^ I feel enlightened. Hahahahahaha

It must also be then that the gradual blacklisting of Amazon Android apps is intended to ensure continued support for BlackBerry by the top application developers. I mean we definitely wouldn't want that Netflix or Tripadvisor to disappear from BlackBerry World. It all makes sense now. Thanks!

Anyway I digress. I got a call actually last night from BlackBerry support asking me if the proposed solution for my device with the lifting screen is good and whether they can close my ticket. I told them no, because they haven't actually offered any solution. The girl was stumped. What am I to say though when their proposed "solution" was "we've got nothing to do with this, go somewhere else". Classy.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 09:22 AM
    I don't see the problem here:

Phone 1 was bought from Telus, go to them! You didn't buy anything from BlackBerry, there is no warranty or support agreement between you and BlackBerry.
    Phone 2 was bought from BlackBerry and they offered to refund or repair your device.

Posted via CB10
    not true really as the device has 1 year manufacturer warranty. your first point on contact is the carrier but bb still covers you for a year no matter what they say
    dejanh, reeneebob, jakie55 and 1 others like this.
    10-29-14 10:36 AM
    not true really as the device has 1 year manufacturer warranty. your first point on contact is the carrier but bb still covers you for a year no matter what they say
    It's astounding how many people don't understand this simple fact.
    Aahleksh and geekaren like this.
    10-29-14 12:31 PM
    It's astounding how many people don't understand this simple fact.
    It's like a car...you may buy from a dealership, they may be your first point of contact, but in the end the name on the car is responsible for warrantying the car they built.
    dejanh, jakie55 and Aahleksh like this.
    10-29-14 12:34 PM
    It's like a car...you may buy from a dealership, they may be your first point of contact, but in the end the name on the car is responsible for warrantying the car they built.
    Precisely. Point of contact is irrelevant here. It's BlackBerry that has to deal with the defective device. Not the carrier, and especially not when the said carrier does not even have a relationship with me. I used them to buy a good, like a Best Buy. I don't expect Best Buy to deal with my device if it has a manufacturing defect beyond their policy. In my case, Telus offers 15 days so the onus is on BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    reeneebob and Aahleksh like this.
    10-29-14 12:55 PM
    Precisely. Point of contact is irrelevant here. It's BlackBerry that has to deal with the defective device. Not the carrier, and especially not when the said carrier does not even have a relationship with me. I used them to buy a good, like a Best Buy. I don't expect Best Buy to deal with my device if it has a manufacturing defect beyond their policy. In my case, Telus offers 15 days so the onus is on BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    This is kind of a downside for Telus.

It has me wondering now. Whenever I got my Passport with Rogers, on a 2 year contract, I was told that it has a 1 year manufactures warranty.
    So now say if something were to go wrong and I have to get warranty work down, who would I have to deal with?

I had just assumed that all BlackBerry devices came with a 1 year warranty.

10-29-14 01:48 PM
    They come out with a one year manufacturer's warranty. But you go to wherever you get your device.
    It is country dependent. Local regulations affect the handling. But the BlackBerry warranty is there.

http://us.blackberry.com/content/dam...es_English.pdf
    10-29-14 01:53 PM
    Definitely making me concerned and I will definitely not be buying direct. I had an HTC Titan that did not want to keep its back panel attached in pocket after about a year. Just due to wear and tear from hard reset removal of battery and stress of being in pocket with a few light drops thrown in. Took it to ATT store. Gave me the warranty phone number. They said they could send me a new back for free to hopefully fix the problem. That back did not seem to work well. Called them back up another month or so later and they sent another back. That back worked till I was out of contract and picked up my Note 3. Being a customer of ATT for over 10 years has something to do with it I suppose. They will not just hand me a new phone, but they will fix it, and fix it again, and fix it again at their cost until I am happy. That is enough for me. Also never heard of the 30 minutes of use limit on the 15 day return policy. ATT lets you use it for up to 15 days and if you dont want it, you pay a $15 restock and choose another phone. But I think you can only do it once. You can't try every phone in the store for 15 days.
    10-30-14 03:01 PM
    Definitely making me concerned and I will definitely not be buying direct.
    If you buy unlocked, get it from Amazon. If you have a defective device within 30 days, it's super easy to get it exchanged, they even cross-ship.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    10-30-14 05:28 PM
    The so called manufacturer warranty is offered by BlackBerry to the retailer. The retailer then passes that warranty to the consumer. If your device is defective you go to the retailer which should provide a solution. Apple is one of the few companies out there offering a direct warranty agreement.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 05:56 PM
    They come out with a one year manufacturer's warranty. But you go to wherever you get your device.
    It is country dependent. Local regulations affect the handling. But the BlackBerry warranty is there.

http://us.blackberry.com/content/dam...es_English.pdf
    Thank you! So it's pretty clear from the warranty agreement that BlackBerry offers no direct support to the end consumer unless the product is a Porsche Design phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 06:00 PM
    This is kind of a downside for Telus.

It has me wondering now. Whenever I got my Passport with Rogers, on a 2 year contract, I was told that it has a 1 year manufactures warranty.
    So now say if something were to go wrong and I have to get warranty work down, who would I have to deal with?

I had just assumed that all BlackBerry devices came with a 1 year warranty.

The retailer (Rogers), as explained in the warranty agreement.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 06:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    No, it's not irrelevant. Read the warranty agreement leaflet that came in the box.

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque, Spawn12 and ggbrands like this.
    10-30-14 06:18 PM
    This:
    (i) For a BlackBerry Handheld smartphone the Warranty Period is one (1) year. Please contact the retailer from whom YOU purchased the
    BlackBerry Device on how to obtain customer support for your BlackBerry Device

Clearly indicates for the Passport as well as other devices (excluding Porsche and Tablet) that warranties filter through your point of sale. Telus screwed you. As far as BlackBerry's part, some standard front line person isn't going to have a clue because this is a unique situation. Or at least unique enough to be outside the normal script.

BlackBerry does direct warranties on limited devices.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    10-31-14 07:54 AM
    This:
    (i) For a BlackBerry Handheld smartphone the Warranty Period is one (1) year. Please contact the retailer from whom YOU purchased the
    BlackBerry Device on how to obtain customer support for your BlackBerry Device

Clearly indicates for the Passport as well as other devices (excluding Porsche and Tablet) that warranties filter through your point of sale. Telus screwed you. As far as BlackBerry's part, some standard front line person isn't going to have a clue because this is a unique situation. Or at least unique enough to be outside the normal script.

BlackBerry does direct warranties on limited devices.
    I'm sure there is a clause in the Telus contract where they limit their involvement. In any case, Telus will just claim that their job is provide information on "how to obtain customer support" rather than to provide customer support.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    10-31-14 07:57 AM
    I'm sure there is a clause in the Telus contract where they limit their involvement. In any case, Telus will just claim that their job is provide information on "how to obtain customer support" rather than to provide customer support.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    As a regular customer, I think they would have processed his claim, but because he bought it outright and isn't under a 2 year agreement they washed their hands of it after some 14 days or 30 minutes of use...some malarkey like that...carriers suck as a general rule of thumb.
    10-31-14 08:06 AM
    Return it and get a new one if you have patience. Other than that, let it go.

I see frustration of you in the future if the problem goes worse.

That device looks like not handled properly when it was in delivery process or packing it to market... or could be a bad production guy putting this together.

Hehehe
    10-31-14 08:10 AM
    I love how this thread is about "How can I get a solid Passport replacement. I want my Passport back!" and not "Blackberry sucks, Passport is bad."

I hope you get this resolved. Is the fault getting worse? Do you think the screen will eventually come completely off? If not, then why not give BlackBerry some breathing room and claim your replacement after a couple of months? At least this way, they won't be swamped with all the back-orders, launches (Classic, 10.3.1) and you have one whole year.

Save the emails and maybe even get one of their staff to acknowledge that they will replace the phone for you sometime during the year. This will also ensure that you get a new one from the fresh batch they are baking for Christmas.
    10-31-14 09:01 AM
    For what it's worth, in Denmark it is always the retailer who has the warranty obligation and then it is up to the retailer to take the fight with the manufacturer. This is to protect the "weak" part in the transaction, so you don't buy a product from the shop on the corner and then have to deal with a big corporation if the product is defect.

If I contacted Apple directly here in DK, they would refer me to the point of sale, even though it would eventually fall back on Apple.

Posted via CB10
    m3mb3rsh1p likes this.
    10-31-14 09:07 AM
    For what it's worth, in Denmark it is always the retailer who has the warranty obligation and then it is up to the retailer to take the fight with the manufacturer. This is to protect the "weak" part in the transaction, so you don't buy a product from the shop on the corner and then have to deal with a big corporation if the product is defect.

If I contacted Apple directly here in DK, they would refer me to the point of sale, even though it would eventually fall back on Apple.

Posted via CB10
    It's the same everywhere, but some people just like to blame BlackBerry for everything. People should read the warranty leaflet before complaining.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 01:06 PM
    It's the same everywhere, but some people just like to blame BlackBerry for everything. People should read the warranty leaflet before complaining.

Posted via CB10
    You still have no idea what you're talking about. There are virtually no retailers in Canada, including the carriers, that will agree to handle any warranty related work on behalf of the customer past their standard return policies. The only reason why you find this to be the case with on contract devices is because the carriers, by not pleasing the customer, run the risk of loosing one or more subscribers. They do it out of good will, not because they are mandated or regulated to do so.

Oh and, I did read the warranty. The responsibility is 100% with BlackBerry. They only state that the point of contact is the retailer. I also never trivialize the issues faced with carriers who are again only interested in helping if you are paying them monthly recurring charges. By your fantastically twisted interpretation, what if I buy my phone from a dealer store and that store closes down? Am I out of warranty? This is a rhetorical question. Of course I'm not, BlackBerry is on the hook just like they are at any point in time. They can push you in the direction of the carrier, but they cannot refuse to handle the warranty.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 01:29 PM
424 ... 89101112 ...