I'm seeing this on the pp I'm using.
    The right bottom edge of the screen isn't secured.

I didn't notice till I looked at one of the posted pics. Then checked this pp. Sure enough, on the bottom right side of the screen there is a little light bleed that goes away if you press on the screen. The left bottom of the screen is secured just fine.

Stuck my pinky fingernail under the screen and can lift it! Quickly pressed it back into place. Otherwise the fit of the screen is very good. I don't see any exposed tape anywhere.
    Seems pretty minor. Crazy glue and a thin instrument to the rescue! Well, if it were actually my pp I'd probably do that.

This is something BlackBerry should be made aware of so it can be corrected.

Posted via CB10
    I informed them. I'm not sure that they passed it on.

@srb151 - please stop using EMPHASIS. It does not make your point any more salient. Also, please read the entire thread. Finally, if I buy a brand new device and it's faulty, no, the reasonable thing is not to "repair it", it's to replace it. Sorry, I realize my BMW M3 just blew and engine and lost it's steering wheel but don't you worry, if you ship it to us in Germany we'll just repair it and get it back to you in 6-12 months, though it might not be new, maybe if we can't repair it we'll give you one that was almost totaled and rebuilt. Sounds good? Anyway, I'm exaggerating but the point remains that the company needs to stand by its product and BlackBerry does not seem to be interested in doing that. In fact, part of the reason why the IT in my company dumped BlackBerry was because of the crappy service they were getting. Go figure, they are after the business market. That cost them 50-60 subs. Not huge but not peanuts either.

The point is that BlackBerry has to be a good company all-round. They cannot just pick and choose pieces to be good at. The reason to go with BlackBerry should not be "because they are the only one to offer a decent keyboard and security", and throw everything else out the window.

In all, I'm tired of all of this crap. BlackBerry support is awful and the company needs to get its rear end in gear. This is coming from a person that designs and re-engineers processes for a living. They are clearly not prepared to properly support their products and I sincerely hope that many of you never have to deal with them. While you may get lucky from time to time, universally the experience will be a very painful one and one that will likely not net you the outcome you desire. Passport is a great phone and it's too bad that it has such a crappy company behind it. Maybe in time they will get their stuff in order, but for now they are just as bad as they have been for years.

I will continue to use my self-repaired Passport as it is the best device for me, and continue to push them to deal with the one that came from Shop BlackBerry. Beyond that, I will definitely take this experience into account next time they have a new device out.

For everyone who was curious about pictures, I've uploaded them to MEGA at https://mega.co.nz/#F!vJ1BkY6Q!r3CRwnivticLxRYsXvgz8g. There are no explanations, just rough photos of the torn down device. When and if I have more time I may post a repair guide of sorts to help everyone out. In the meantime, if you are tearing down your Passport watch out for two things. First, the screws strip very easy because the size of the screw head seems to either be a non-standard one or a poorly manufactured T5 or T6. The screen ribbon connector is connected to a Synaptics chip that is taped to a yellow sticker tied to the body. If you are not careful when removing the screen and take time to slowly separate this chip from the yellow sticker you will rip your display cable and you can kiss your screen good-bye.
    10-27-14 01:15 AM
    It seems to me that the "problem" here is not that manufactured items can be defective, and we all know they can be. The issue is that a company does not stand behind their product or service. That is unacceptable. I have had a Z10, which worked just fine for me, with no random rebooting, or misaligned battery contacts.....doesn't mean that it didn't happen. I now use a Q10, which has been working flawlessly for 8 months....does not mean that others have not had double typing issues. Those who are so adamant to deride posters who do not agree with their point of view need to quit hiding behind the anonymity of the internet, and BE MORE POLITE (shouting on purpose). BlackBerry and the carriers need to understand that voting with dollars is very possible. Just ask my wife who moved from Samsung to Apple because she had two devices that did not perform properly. I feel the OP has been very responsible, and attempted to solve the problem in a civilized manner. Too bad DR and BlackBerry were not as accommodating. Just my opinion. That plus a buck will buy onbe a bad cup of coffee..
    10-27-14 04:53 AM
    As I said, $50 and up. Putting a list that you never sell it for doesn't make it more expensive, the Passport sells for less. NOBODY HAD TO SPEND HOURS ON THE PHONE TO SOLVE THIS. This is the part I don't understand. Both Telus and BB said they would FIX this. Just not replace it with a BRAND NEW PHONE. Which is what the OP is after.

Again, I think it would be NICE if they would replace it, since I do not think there are any refurbs at this point. But everyone is acting like Blackberry told him to screw off, we're not fixing it. That just isn't the case. They just won't give him a NEW one.

As an aside, I would probably just as soon send my phone in for repair for an issue like this anyway. If this is a design/material issue, what makes anyone think a new one would have a material change done already. It would probably happen all over again in a little while. Send it in, let BB look at it, and possibly/probably provide a permanent solution. He would have a phone less likely to split again, and all without any time on the phone.
    You won't get units to refurbish if you don't take in defective ones to refurbish!

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    10-27-14 08:33 AM
    You won't get units to refurbish if you don't take in defective ones to refurbish!

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Hahaha, this actually made me laugh. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 08:39 AM
    I wanted to add one more note in regards to the repair.

After re-assembling the phone, I still noticed some slight lifting of the bottom left corner. Being that I am using much better adhesive I found this strange. I then tested the phone for flatness on the X and Y axis and realized that the phone frame is not perfectly flat. In order to solve this, I had to grip the phone sideways on the top and bottom, left hand on the top, and then torque it by pulling the top left corner down with the left hand and pushing the bottom left corner up with the right hand. This flattened out the phone and solved the remaining minor lifting.

In all, I can therefore confirm that the lifting at least in part seems to be related to the structural rigidity of the device width wise, or maybe it's better to say diagonally. This makes sense as structurally the phone is strongly reinforced on the Y axis, but on the X axis, the stainless steel frame is thin comparatively. This results in structural weakness on the X and Y axis combined. I also noted this after working to remove the screen from the frame, as the frame would bend very slightly when working the top and bottom.

I guess the Passport also bends, just in a different way I know, I know, poor taste. Sorry.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 08:46 AM

After re-assembling the phone, I still noticed some slight lifting of the bottom left corner. Being that I am using much better adhesive I found this strange. I then tested the phone for flatness on the X and Y axis and realized that the phone frame is not perfectly flat. In order to solve this, I had to grip the phone sideways on the top and bottom, left hand on the top, and then torque it by pulling the top left corner down with the left hand and pushing the bottom left corner up with the right hand. This flattened out the phone and solved the remaining minor lifting.

In all, I can therefore confirm that the lifting at least in part seems to be related to the structural rigidity of the device width wise, or maybe it's better to say diagonally. This makes sense as structurally the phone is strongly reinforced on the Y axis, but on the X axis, the stainless steel frame is thin comparatively. This results in structural weakness on the X and Y axis combined. I also noted this after working to remove the screen from the frame, as the frame would bend very slightly when working the top and bottom.

I guess the Passport also bends, just in a different way I know, I know, poor taste. Sorry.

Posted via CB10
    Oh no....... You've really done it now......cue the angry torch wielding mob...

Posted from my gorgeous, pristine white BEAST of a Note 4.
    10-27-14 08:54 AM
    Wow, thanks for the heads up on what to expect (possibly) from the phone. Although had to go through all those comments. @.@. While it sucks to get a faulty phone, on the brightside, you get to dissect the phone and same time discovering the anatomy of the phone. That's kinda like gaining some knowledge. Again thanks for the information.
    10-27-14 09:17 AM
    Wow, thanks for the heads up on what to expect (possibly) from the phone. Although had to go through all those comments. @.@. While it sucks to get a faulty phone, on the brightside, you get to dissect the phone and same time discovering the anatomy of the phone. That's kinda like gaining some knowledge. Again thanks for the information.
    No problem. I figured I may as well share back as much as I have time considering I had to DIY it. I won't lie, it was fun and stressful taking the sucker apart without an iFixit guide. It's the first time that I operated on the phone completely blindly, but I made sure to be extra careful and take things very, very slow to make sure no issues are encountered. It is also the reason why I did not bust up my display ribbon and caught the glued Synaptics chip

If you poke around the Passport forum you will see how many happy users there are for weeks now. Of course like any device a small percentage will have issues. If you own a BMW or ferrari no different. However the op and followers will keep bashing BlackBerry. If you have an issue take it up with them. I have heard of people returning their phone for a replacement so if you did not damage it yourself I know they would honor it.

Posted via the incredible Blackberry Passport
    Indeed, he will. I too am a happy Passport user. I think that it's a great phone. It's too bad that it has some QC issues. With that said, some QC issues are always expected. I just don't expect screens to come undone, especially considering how many smartphones I've gone through and this was the only phone that ever had this issue for me. Note I say, for me, as there could be others that have had similar problems with other phones. I also believe that this is an inherent flaw of the Passport in the current production run and I'm basing that on the fact that I have now taken the phone apart and got to see the parts that make it as well as the assembly quality.

At the end of the day, the issue came down to BlackBerry not wanting to take the correct steps to remedy the issue. My beef is with their after-sales care, and not any one given phone. No amount of spinning will change the reality. Even the individuals that managed to get some sort of semblance of proper service had to go through hours of agonizing struggle with the reps to get service. I don't have time for that nonsense. My time costs a lot of money and its better spent on family and income generating work.

I too hope that you don't have an issue with your device because then you will really feel the pain of BlackBerry's customer service.

On a positive note, I don't care at all that I voided my warranty now completely because it wasn't there to begin with so what's the difference.
    MarsupilamiX and jakie55 like this.
    10-27-14 09:50 AM
    On a positive note, I don't care at all that I voided my warranty now completely because it wasn't there to begin with so what's the difference.
    That's probably the saddest part, because it describes the whole situation.

I do have to say one thing though:
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Through your thread, I learned 2 important lessons:
    1) I will continue to buy outright from Amazon, because I never had any issue with them, replacing broken products.
    I just send them in, and either get my money back, or a brand new phone.

2) I will avoid buying the Passport for now, because I have exactly no wish to deal with what you dealt with, even if Amazon would probably be a far better place to buy the device from, than at a carrier or from DR.
    I mean, I already knew how bad DR is, but that they are THAT bad, is just sad.

Therefore once again:
    Thank you very much!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 10-27-14 at 10:17 AM.
    jakie55 and jdhooghe like this.
    10-27-14 10:05 AM
    That's probably the saddest part, because it describes the whole situation.

I do have to say one thing though:
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Through your thread, I learned 2 important lessons:
    1) I will continue to buy outright from Amazon, because I never had any issue with them, replacing broken products.
    I just send them in, and either get my money back, or a brand new phone.

2) I will avoid buying the Passport for now, because I have exactly no wish to deal with what you dealt with, even if Amazon would probably a far better place to buy the device than at a carrier or from DR.
    I mean, I already knew how bad DR is, but that they are THAT bad, is just sad.

Therefore once again:
    Thank you very much!

Posted via CB10
    Haha, I'm a glass half-full kind of person. At the end of the day, every problem is an opportunity in waiting

Had I the choice to buy from Amazon I would have done so in a second. Precisely as you, I've never had an issue dealing with a defect when an item has been bought through Amazon. Their service is quite good. One time I got a Sony point-and-shoot that died on me while on vacation in the Dominican Republic. When I came back Amazon not only arranged for a replacement, but they also gave me a $100 good will credit because the device died and I had to wait for a replacement for a bit over a month because of supply shortage.
    MarsupilamiX and LyoobaBerry like this.
    10-27-14 10:11 AM

Are you saying after all the years here that you didn't know that the carrier that sold the phone had to warranty it?

Just to be clear, in Canada, if you get a BlackBerry from a carrier, the carrier deals with the warranty. This is factored into the price the carrier pays BlackBerry for the phone. Further to that, if you don't have a cellular account with the carrier, they have no way to process the claim nor the incentive to.

Not sure if this would have worked, but could you have opened a pay as you go account with Telus and then present the phone for service?

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 10:12 AM
    Are you saying after all the years here that you didn't know that the carrier that sold the phone had to warranty it?

Just to be clear, in Canada, if you get a BlackBerry from a carrier, the carrier deals with the warranty. This is factored into the price the carrier pays BlackBerry for the phone. Further to that, if you don't have a cellular account with the carrier, they have no way to process the claim nor the incentive to.

Not sure if this would have worked, but could you have opened a pay as you go account with Telus and then present the phone for service?

Posted via CB10
    I don't care for the carrier nonsense. Been there, done that, never again. I do have a Telus pre-paid account because I use it to unlock devices when I buy outright from Telus. Robellus does not care about your satisfaction. Like Shop BlackBerry, they would likely take in the phone had I not wanted a brand new replacement for my brand new product and instead agreed for them to send it for a 6 week repair cycle that would have netted me a refurbished replacement most likely. That's not customer service, that's a joke. Also, there is no cop-out for BlackBerry. Robellus is not responsible for the warranty, BlackBerry is. I could care less what kind of arrangement they may have with the carrier. My warranty does not say "1 year manufacturer's warranty provided by Robellus".
    10-27-14 10:17 AM
    Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!

(In other words, please stop the bickering and personal comments. Stick to the topic -- advise/observations about the OP's issue!)
    MarsupilamiX and reeneebob like this.
    10-27-14 10:18 AM
    Had this happen with my 9930--called Verizon and they sent a replacement overnight.
    10-27-14 10:30 AM
    Had this happen with my 9930--called Verizon and they sent a replacement overnight.
    This may be an advantage of a more competitive mobile landscape in the US. In Canada, the market is largely monopolized by three carriers, Rogers, Telus, and Bell, collectively (and mockingly) known as Robellus. The three carriers do not differentiate in any way and are in fact consistently and openly engaged in price fixing. All of the plans on all of them are exactly the same, same features, same price, and largely same exact service. In most cases in Canada shopping from one to the other mostly depends on which color you prefer, red, green, or blue. I digress though.

Posted via CB10
    jakie55 and LyoobaBerry like this.
    10-27-14 10:35 AM
    I had Verizon send me a refurb replacement for a bricked 9930.

Which bricked.

I then went to AT&T for a 9900.

Which bricked.

So I got an SGIII. Which lasted two years until I dropped it down a flight of stairs and shattered the screen.

I then got a Note 4. Insured.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    jakie55 likes this.
    10-27-14 10:44 AM

Posted via CB10
    I haven't seen your disassembly pics, but from above description it seems that a bit more gauge thickness (of the SS frame) along the X axis would solve the problem. The designers should have know better.

CB10 @ Q5
    dejanh likes this.
    10-27-14 11:06 AM
    Really nervous about getting a passport now. Not even released in SA yet. Probably get a Z30 instead.

Posted via zedten
    10-27-14 11:47 AM
    [WARN]The topic is the passport and the screen. Lets not discuss other posters and their posting habits.[/WARN]
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 10-27-14 at 01:06 PM.
    10-27-14 11:54 AM
    Really nervous about getting a passport now. Not even released in SA yet. Probably get a Z30 instead.

Posted via zedten
    I honestly would never consider a Z30 over a Passport. As long as you do your due diligence and check the device thoroughly for any screen give and issues with sticky keys, you'll be OK. The Passport is a great device. Just the BlackBerry support blows.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-27-14 12:02 PM
    Amazon is sadly the way to go over ShopBB. They are cross-shipping me a replacement for the most minor of issues with the keyboard. Now that's service.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    dejanh and MarsupilamiX like this.
    10-27-14 12:37 PM
    Amazon is sadly the way to go over ShopBB. They are cross-shipping me a replacement for the most minor of issues with the keyboard. Now that's service.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    BlackBerry should use amazon to replace digital river

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 12:40 PM
    BlackBerry should use amazon to replace digital river

Posted via CB10
    Swot I said.... sort of

Posted from my PeePee!
    10-27-14 12:47 PM
    [WARN]The topic is the passport and the screen. Lets not discuss other posters and their posting habits.[/WARN]
    As it seems to have been missed!
    10-27-14 01:09 PM
    As for the OP, it's a shame that he got the service he did but honestly the warranty lies with the retailer...it's the same here in the UK where I live.
    That is certainly correct as far as the law of England goes. In simple terms your contractual rights are where you pay your money (privity of contract) subject to terms of business and any *additional* rights given or offered by a manufacturer, they can't remove statutory rights but they can offer more. If a buyer finds a failure which is covered only by warranty (e.g. a failure after some extended time) the written terms of the warranty as accepted during the sale/purchase apply. For goods found defective when supplied (e.g. very early failure or DOA) then consumer laws would also apply if the item is substantially not fit for purpose, and the buyer's rights in this case are entirely against the seller.

That may not be the case in other worldwide jurisdictions, and I'm not even sure if it is mirrored in Scottish law.
    Spawn12 and Aahleksh like this.
    10-27-14 01:17 PM
424 ... 678910 ...