Let me take a quick guess...your T key is sticking on the top, almost as though it gets stuck under the silver strip running above the key? Just curious since I've seen sticky keys on 2/5 devices and both were like that.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I actually think that's why its sticking. It doesn't do it every time but while using it today I noticed that while typing a lengthly email it stuck several times during typing.
    10-26-14 07:26 PM
    Let me take a quick guess...your T key is sticking on the top, almost as though it gets stuck under the silver strip running above the key? Just curious since I've seen sticky keys on 2/5 devices and both were like that.

Posted via CB10
    So would you even recommend anyone to take a chance on getting a "good" Passport at this point?
    10-26-14 07:30 PM
    Weird, up in Canada almost half the people I deal with in business use a BlackBerry and not one person I know has had any physical issue with a BlackBerry phone. And we are talking 1000s of people with different BlackBerry device over the last 10 years. And this phone is probably the best of the bunch and I am being very honest with that claim.

Posted via the Blackberry Passport
    There have been tons of issues with Blackberry phones over the years. If you'd been on here for a while there have been: Dust under the screen issues, stuck trackballs, misaligned trackpads, light bleeds around the screens, keyboard issues, reboot issues from the battery not lining up with the contacts (especially in the Z10), to name a few. Of course other manufacturers have their issues too but to think that Blackberry churns out nothing but quality devices is just being blind.
    10-26-14 07:31 PM
    So would you even recommend anyone to take a chance on getting a "good" Passport at this point?
    I would actually. I'd just say check it thoroughly, ideally at the carrier store when you pick it up. I would NOT recommend buying an unlocked device direct from BlackBerry. If you have issues, the service is just not there. Side note, I can't believe I just recommended buying from a carrier over BlackBerry direct after I've been advocating for BlackBerry direct for so many years.

Posted via CB10
    jakie55 and Aahleksh like this.
    10-26-14 07:40 PM
    Reading the posts to this three has certainly questioned my opinion in buying direct versus the carrier. Shopbb has certainly received a poor reputation in dealing with the issues...but the carriers are bad if you are not paying them for extended support. Go figure...seems like there is no good choice.

Posted via CB10 on the awesome Passport
    10-26-14 07:47 PM
    Here is the difference with Apple. One of my kids iPhone 5 had a defective battery about three weeks after purchase. I went to T-Mobile store where I bought and they told me I'd be better off going to an Apple store and they would replace the phone immediately for free where T-Mobile would charge $10 for the warranty and would take days to get replacement. Did what they said and the Apple store made sure it wasn't water damage and gave me a brand new phone in less than 15 minutes.

Dealing with carriers sucks. BlackBerry needs to stand behind their product. It is sick that they are even saying the shopblackberry.com purchases are not technically from them. If they are going to bypass the carriers then they need to man up on suppory.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Apple has retail outlets, and complete control of it's supply chain down to the software. They also have parts and trained people to do minor repairs on site in the retail stores. VZW used to do some of this but does less and less of it as time goes on. Apple also charges the famous "Apple Tax" ($50-200 per device) to pay for such luxuries. Multiply that by Millions and Millions of phones, and you can afford to spend some "good will" money for PR and to gain new customers. Notice that they don't have HALF the carrier issues that Blackberry, LG, etc. deal with because they dictate to the carriers. BB isn't so lucky or with such deep pockets. Even though Samsung has such resources, try to get them
    to exchange a phone for a new one. I always got refurbs, even the time Samsung upgraded my wife one model up, (due to a design/software
    flaw).

In addition, the assumption was the battery (probably correct), but could be the charging circuit, internal fault ect. Remember my comment about the expense or complexity of the repair dictating the method? Both his concerns are "cosmetic" flaws. They need to be addressed,
    but are minor. If I recall, Apple isn't so forgiving with ANY cosmetic issues.
    10-26-14 08:28 PM
    My iPhone 5s built up some disgusting crud (pocket lint, I think) inside the camera housing that was affecting picture quality. It was almost exactly a year old when I took it in last week to the Apple Store. I have AppleCare Plus on it. They did a repair that took about an hour but they wanted to check the Touch ID since the front plate had to removed and it can be affected. Well, yup, it apparently was damaged during the repair so off they went to get me a replacement from the back. Don't know if it is a refurb or brand new but I suspect the latter because it is absolutely pristine.

Is this kind of service typical? No. Is it valuable to me? Oh hell, yes. Going through the hassle the OP described is horrific. My time is super valuable and I don't need that extra stress. I do think we should expect better, if not as much as Apple offers, from the retailers and carriers..That the OP has to glue/tape together the parts of his top end phone that has barely been out for 2 months because the vendor won't support it is unacceptable. As someone ekes commented, has that now invalidated his 1year hardware warranty? All around ugly.

Btw, OP, I would follow up with a detailed complaint letter to BBRY high command.
    Yes, well, above the "Apple tax", you bought an extended warranty. As mentioned elsewhere, half the reason the carriers have such miserable return policies is to get you to buy one. Extended warranties get you the wonderful service you received, and that's what you paid for. In your case, I would expect nothing less.

The vendor never said they wouldn't support it. They and Blackberry said they would stand behind their devices and repair the unit. Which happens to be EXACTLY what each said they would do in their respective return and warranty policies.

Again, It would be NICE for one of them to do something above and beyond, but should it be
    DEMANDED?

You paid extra for the service you got (in addition to the Manufacture damaging your device). The OP had that option as well and declined. In your case, you didn't get any exceptional service, you got what you paid for and should have received.
    Last edited by srb151; 10-26-14 at 08:53 PM.
    10-26-14 08:34 PM
    ...If I recall, Apple isn't so forgiving with ANY cosmetic issues.
    And also if your iPhone have reception issue is because you not holding it right.
    10-26-14 08:42 PM
    And also if your iPhone have reception issue is because you not holding it right.
    Again though you are forgetting that Apple addressed it and gave anyone that wanted one a free case that fixed the issue.
    10-26-14 08:53 PM
    And if the Passport's screen starts splitting/lifting, Blackberry isn't gluing it right
    MarsupilamiX and reeneebob like this.
    10-26-14 09:06 PM
    And if the Passport's screen starts splitting/lifting, Blackberry isn't gluing it right
    And they said they would fix it. Maybe Blackberry should make a cover to hold it together instead?
    10-26-14 09:12 PM
    Apple has retail outlets, and complete control of it's supply chain down to the software. They also have parts and trained people to do minor repairs on site in the retail stores. VZW used to do some of this but does less and less of it as time goes on. Apple also charges the famous "Apple Tax" ($50-200 per device) to pay for such luxuries. Multiply that by Millions and Millions of phones, and you can afford to spend some "good will" money for PR and to gain new customers. Notice that they don't have HALF the carrier issues that Blackberry, LG, etc. deal with because they dictate to the carriers. BB isn't so lucky or with such deep pockets. Even though Samsung has such resources, try to get them
    to exchange a phone for a new one. I always got refurbs, even the time Samsung upgraded my wife one model up, (due to a design/software
    flaw).

In addition, the assumption was the battery (probably correct), but could be the charging circuit, internal fault ect. Remember my comment about the expense or complexity of the repair dictating the method? Both his concerns are "cosmetic" flaws. They need to be addressed,
    but are minor. If I recall, Apple isn't so forgiving with ANY cosmetic issues.
    Funny I paid same for my PlayBook that I could have gotten an iPad2 for with that Apple Tax. Retail price on Passport is $699 ($599 is a temporary US discount) and the iPhone 6 is $649 for 16 GB and $749 for 64 GB, so apparently BlackBerry has a "tax" of their own, it simply doesn't benefit the customer.

All these customer support perks Apple gives to their customers build a loyal, and satisfied customer base. BlackBerry is doing the opposite with outdated processes like the original poster experienced. They could very easily have said "Give us a credit card number, we'll send you a new or refurbished device, and when we get your device we'll take the charge off the card". They don't need retail outlets, just fix their devices without customers having to spend hours in the phone to be told go to the carrier that we know doesn't care whether we look bad or not!

10-26-14 09:13 PM
    Quick update for everyone. I'm haven't managed to get the Shop BlackBerry folks to change their mind. The stance is still no RMA.

The screen splitting issue I've given up on and decided to take things into my own hands to fix my own phone (so much for warranty). After about 10 hours of work I managed to repair it. I have lots of teardown photos, so I'll share those with everyone when I get the chance. As I suspected the factory adhesive tape was pure junk. It wasn't even applied properly, with it not appearing in some spots. It also leaves a ton of residue when removed.

For those that are wondering what I used to affix the screen again, I used the 3M VHB tape.

Thanks for nothing BlackBerry. :|

Posted via CB10
    Will be waiting for the teardown pictures for reference. Hopefully the VHB tape will hold up. Bought my passport just a couple of days ago. It doesn't have these issues and I am hoping it won't given that it's the second batch of passports (after it ran out of stocks).

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 09:26 PM
    Funny I paid same for my PlayBook that I could have gotten an iPad2 for with that Apple Tax. Retail price on Passport is $699 ($599 is a temporary US discount) and the iPhone 6 is $649 for 16 GB and $749 for 64 GB, so apparently BlackBerry has a "tax" of their own, it simply doesn't benefit the customer.

All these customer support perks Apple gives to their customers build a loyal, and satisfied customer base. BlackBerry is doing the opposite with outdated processes like the original poster experienced. They could very easily have said "Give us a credit card number, we'll send you a new or refurbished device, and when we get your device we'll take the charge off the card". They don't need retail outlets, just fix their devices without customers having to spend hours in the phone to be told go to the carrier that we know doesn't care whether we look bad or not!

As I said, $50 and up. Putting a list that you never sell it for doesn't make it more expensive, the Passport sells for less. NOBODY HAD TO SPEND HOURS ON THE PHONE TO SOLVE THIS. This is the part I don't understand. Both Telus and BB said they would FIX this. Just not replace it with a BRAND NEW PHONE. Which is what the OP is after.

Again, I think it would be NICE if they would replace it, since I do not think there are any refurbs at this point. But everyone is acting like Blackberry told him to screw off, we're not fixing it. That just isn't the case. They just won't give him a NEW one.

As an aside, I would probably just as soon send my phone in for repair for an issue like this anyway. If this is a design/material issue, what makes anyone think a new one would have a material change done already. It would probably happen all over again in a little while. Send it in, let BB look at it, and possibly/probably provide a permanent solution. He would have a phone less likely to split again, and all without any time on the phone.
    10-26-14 09:27 PM
    Never heard of this so called Apple tax. But if it did exist and by paying an extra 50 bucks I get the kind of customer service I've gotten with Apple, I would gladly pay it.
    After all, no one is forcing me to buy Apple products I buy them because my expectations of quality, performance, and support are consistently met.

Posted from my gorgeous, pristine white BEAST of a Note 4.
    10-26-14 09:39 PM
    This was through Bell in Canada. My friend actually left the store and told them it was highway robbery, but he needs his phone for work so had to go back. The phone is on contract if that makes a difference?

I had always thought you could return to an apple store regardless, but my friend said no - he was told he had to go through the carrier.

And just an information point - it took me 13 months to get rid of all things Bell in my house. I don't consider them a sterling example of customer service or knowledge. And if my friend finds out he could have actually returned to an apple store - he'll be ticked. Lol. But I did tell him to check it out and he said he did.

Posted via CB10
    When we sell an Apple product, the minute it leaves the store, we are not allowed to do ANYTHING with it should it go defective in the first year. It's to go to Apple. That's on Bell AND Virgin. We had the same directives on Playbook with BB. If it's DOA out of box as long as it's not activated we can send it back but that's it. I remember activating a iPhone 5 on Bell for a customer and desperately trying to get the sim out of it while the Apple logo was displayed because it had a line of blown pixels. After the first year then yes, we can send it in. Now we have our own extended warranty that is different than Bell in that it's a one time fee at the time of purchase ($159.99 on iPhone) and covers one replacement for cracked screen/water damage plus repairs and there's no deductible - but we send in the phone to repair and they send back a new phone so not instant replacement like AC+. Even if we didn't have our own coverage I don't personally think the Bell insurance is a good deal.

So to my knowledge, the Apple person he spoke to was misinformed. I have never had a customer who went to the Apple Store come back and say they were sent away. Our internal directives are quite clear, and it's based on Apple's directive.

Now, I've never had a defective Apple product so I've never had to deal with that side of it yet, but I got AppleCare+ so I doubt there'd be an issue...
    solitude1984 likes this.
    10-26-14 10:05 PM
    Never heard of this so called Apple tax. But if it did exist and by paying an extra 50 bucks I get the kind of customer service I've gotten with Apple, I would gladly pay it.
    After all, no one is forcing me to buy Apple products I buy them because my expectations of quality, performance, and support are consistently met.

The phrase is a carry over from the computer days, but still applies. The tax is fact that apple charges considerably more for products than similar products from other manufactures. I think people are misunderstanding me. I'm not bashing Apple or those who purchase their products. They provide a certain level of additional service and detail that is of value to some people for that additional money. The tax doesn't appear to be as large on the phones as their other products, but is there none the less. (Volume and other issues make this possible).

Hey, if that's what people want, more power to them. I personally don't buy Apple products for a number of reasons (all valid to me), and have saved enough in lower prices (as well as I never buy extended warranties) to pay for any item that should happen to fail several times over.
    To a certain extent, you get what you pay for. I fail to see the problem. Especially since no phone manufacture other than Apple provides that level of service either. I noticed you're not even using an Apple, but a Samsung. My experience with them is far, far worse from a support standpoint than Blackberry. Two Flagship phones from them, and NOT A SINGLE SOFTWARE UPGRADE. If I wanted jellly bean or ice cream, buy another samsung. And they weren't purchased at any discount either.

I notice a lot of people here who can't wait to jump in and tell Blackberry users how their getting screwed compared to Apple. (Even when they use a Note4). But the bottom line is that Blackberry is NOT Apple. And not providing BMW service to the Toyota owner is NOT wrong. Blackberry get many other bonuses for their money that to me eclipse service (Better communication (subjective), better security, open system, etc.) It's a trade off.

Why is that such a problem? I bought my Z30 BECAUSE it's not Apple for it's functionality. I knew their was no Blackberry genius bar at the local mall to handle my issues, and am confident that IF I need service, I will receive it, although not at the same lofty level.
    lady of the lake likes this.
    10-26-14 10:26 PM
    The phrase is a carry over from the computer days, but still applies. The tax is fact that apple charges considerably more for products than similar products from other manufactures. I think people are misunderstanding me. I'm not bashing Apple or those who purchase their products. They provide a certain level of additional service and detail that is of value to some people for that additional money. It doesn't appear to be as large on the phones as their other products, but is there none the less. (Volume and other issues make this possible).

Hey, if that's what people want, more power to them. I personally don't buy Apple products for a number of reasons (all valid to me), and have saved enough in lower prices (as well as I never buy extended warranties) to pay for any item that should happen to fail several times over.
    To a certain extent, you get what you pay for. I fail to see the problem. Especially since no phone manufacture other than Apple provides that level of service either. I noticed you're not even using an Apple, but a Samsung. My experience with them is far, far worse from a support standpoint than Blackberry. Two Flagship phones from them, and NOT A SINGLE SOFTWARE UPGRADE. If I wanted jellly bean or ice cream, buy another samsung. And they weren't purchased at any discount either.

I notice a lot of people here who can't wait to jump in and tell Blackberry users how their getting screwed compared to Apple. (Even when they use a Note4). But the bottom line is that Blackberry is NOT Apple. And not providing BMW service to the Toyota owner is NOT wrong.

Why is that such a problem? I bought my Z30 BECAUSE it's not Apple for it's functionality. I knew their was no Blackberry genius bar at the local mall to handle my issues, and am confident that IF I need service, I will receive it, although not at the same lofty level.
    OK. I'm now using my iPhone 6. How does anything I said differ depending on the phone in my hand?

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    10-26-14 10:29 PM
    The phrase is a carry over from the computer days, but still applies. The tax is fact that apple charges considerably more for products than similar products from other manufactures. I think people are misunderstanding me. I'm not bashing Apple or those who purchase their products. They provide a certain level of additional service and detail that is of value to some people for that additional money. It doesn't appear to be as large on the phones as their other products, but is there none the less. (Volume and other issues make this possible).

I notice a lot of people here who can't wait to jump in and tell Blackberry users how their getting screwed compared to Apple. (Even when they use a Note4). But the bottom line is that Blackberry is NOT Apple. And not providing BMW service to the Toyota owner is NOT wrong. Blackberry get many other bonuses for their money that to me eclipse service (Better communication (subjective), better security, open system, etc.) It's a trade off.

I am now using my Lumia 1520. How does that make a difference?

Sent from my SUPER HOT Nokia Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk
    10-26-14 10:33 PM
    You noticed that too, eh?
    Yup. I'm no fan of Apple or its products, but I'd like to think I'm an intelligent person. Intelligent people try to be impartial and see things from all sides.

Posted using my Asus Transformer TF700T via the CrackBerry App
    10-26-14 10:34 PM
    I am now using my Lumia 1520. How does that make a difference?
    Actually, that kind of reflects accurately on what I was saying at that point. The point of noting what kind of phone you use wasn't to state that the phone per se mattered. It was to point out that the people jumping in to tell the OP "Apple wouldn't do this to you" were NOT using Blackberries. Even if you were to jump in now with one. I would just point out that for some reason it would be your last phone of choice to make your point in this thread.
    10-26-14 10:39 PM
    Actually, that kind of reflects accurately on what I was saying at that point. The point of noting what kind of phone you use wasn't to state that the phone per se mattered. It was to point out that the people jumping in to tell the OP "Apple wouldn't do this to you" were NOT using Blackberries. Even if you were to jump in now with one. I would just point out that for some reason it would be your last phone of choice to make your point in this thread.
    Actually I had a Q10 up until three weeks ago. It is in fact my last phone of choice. My ten year run ended with a final frustrating experience with Link. I gave up. Before that I had my share of bricking, nuking, light bleeds, misaligned track pads, random rebooting, four hour battery life, memory leaks, and double letter typing.

The inaccessible back up was the last straw.

I wish the OP the best. My ten year run ended.

reeneebob and sallenthornton like this.
    10-26-14 10:47 PM
    Say what now?

As you said the people that commented were not using BlackBerry devices. How would a person who isn't using another brand be able to make such a comment? I use a BlackBerry. I know their customer service is horrible. I have no idea what other providers offer in that regard. Only someone using another platform could make that comment while being informed. Unless of course they are using multiple platforms. Either way your aforementioned statement doesn't hold water.

10-26-14 10:53 PM
    Now who's making blind statements. I have NEVER said the op was a liar. I have never defended BB. I have never said they make flawless products. If you had bother to read my posts, rather than keee jerk react to the phrases that caught your eye, you would have known that.

Good lord, All I ever said is that Blackberry asked him to send in his phone they will REPAIR it. Just like ALL OF THEIR WARRANTY DOCUMENTS STATE THEY WILL DO. Many people were appalled at this (including you, it seams), and I said, at least twice, while it would be NICE to send a replacement. He's not ENTITLED to it. If you think he is, GREAT. Tell me why. Oh, that's right. You don't need to explain to anyone your position as I have. We'll just TAKE YOUR WORD. Sorry for the discussion. What I was doing was not flaming or defending anyone. I was explaining that BB is NOT Apple, and Apple would do it is not (to me) a valid reason. I've had a couple of
    good experience with BB support, so I don't think their the worst in the world either. They are a good company that was on the edge of bankruptcy, with limited resources, and good product (not perfect) that fits my needs better than other vendors. If you expect the exact same level of service as a company with the most expensive product, billions in the bank, and billions in sales, The reality is not there.
    Having said that, I doubt they have ever "screwed over" their customers at the rate you claim. Especially since the new management took over. They are just not capable of producing 20 mil phones a month with gold plate service. This is not screwing anyone or blind loyalty. Just a fact.
    His phone is less than a month old. It should be considered DOA and replaced, not repaired.

If I drive a Lexus off the showroom floor and less than a month later it has a major structural issue I don't want to wait several weeks without my car while it is repaired. I want a new one pronto. And that's exactly what most manufacturers do. If the product has problems within a short amount of time they replace it.

reeneebob and MarsupilamiX like this.
    10-26-14 11:04 PM
    I'm seeing this on the pp I'm using.
    The right bottom edge of the screen isn't secured.

I didn't notice till I looked at one of the posted pics. Then checked this pp. Sure enough, on the bottom right side of the screen there is a little light bleed that goes away if you press on the screen. The left bottom of the screen is secured just fine.

Stuck my pinky fingernail under the screen and can lift it! Quickly pressed it back into place. Otherwise the fit of the screen is very good. I don't see any exposed tape anywhere.
    Seems pretty minor. Crazy glue and a thin instrument to the rescue! Well, if it were actually my pp I'd probably do that.

This is something BlackBerry should be made aware of so it can be corrected.

Posted via CB10
    dejanh, jakie55 and flyingsolid like this.
    10-27-14 12:06 AM
424 ... 56789 ...