Quick update for everyone. I'm haven't managed to get the Shop BlackBerry folks to change their mind. The stance is still no RMA.

The screen splitting issue I've given up on and decided to take things into my own hands to fix my own phone (so much for warranty). After about 10 hours of work I managed to repair it. I have lots of teardown photos, so I'll share those with everyone when I get the chance. As I suspected the factory adhesive tape was pure junk. It wasn't even applied properly, with it not appearing in some spots. It also leaves a ton of residue when removed.

For those that are wondering what I used to affix the screen again, I used the 3M VHB tape.

Thanks for nothing BlackBerry. :|

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely unacceptable. And now if something else happens that warranty should cover and they decide to help this time, they will use this as an excuse to void the warranty.

Slow clap BB. Great job alienating the fans and customers you have left.
    TGR1 likes this.
    10-26-14 09:54 AM
    Sir,

I'm not a fan of Apple, I never like how they sell old technology and brand it in their flagship device, I've owned more than 20 iDevices. starting from iPhone 3G when it did not have an LED flash while Nokia had it up until the 5S.

But if you had an issue with an iPhone, replacing it is really easy, unless of course you ran into a careless store manager that never check after their iClerk and notice that they mistakenly input the wrong Serial Number and instead of punching S they punched 5.... only to get your iPhone stolen and of course apple cannot locate or lock it. since you had to have insurance even though they just replaced it for you. the only thing I love about apple is their customer service. but good luck with Blackberry...
    Unless you get one through a carrier. Then you have to deal with the carrier. just had a friend go through this. He had bought the extra warranty for $150. Dropped his iphone and broke the screen. Had to pay an additional $200 and wait a week to get a replacement.

Still sounds slightly better than dealing with BlackBerry support. I feel fortunate I've never had to.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 11:20 AM
    What's with all the ********? The phone comes with a warranty, use it. Some people cry as though there is no warranty on it. Yeah, it sucks, but it happens with everything.
    If this was an Apple product you wouldn't be so understanding.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    10-26-14 11:23 AM
    This has really put a dent in BlackBerry's reputation. Customer support telling you to contact the store that sold it is a complete cop out. We all know that you have like 3 minutes of talk time and it is tough sh_t...from their side of it.

This post sure brought some fan boi's out of the woodwork. Congrats that you didn't use your hard-earned money on a phone.

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely. BlackBerry is the manufacturer and should stand behind the product.

10-26-14 11:25 AM
    Quick update for everyone. I'm haven't managed to get the Shop BlackBerry folks to change their mind. The stance is still no RMA.

The screen splitting issue I've given up on and decided to take things into my own hands to fix my own phone (so much for warranty). After about 10 hours of work I managed to repair it. I have lots of teardown photos, so I'll share those with everyone when I get the chance. As I suspected the factory adhesive tape was pure junk. It wasn't even applied properly, with it not appearing in some spots. It also leaves a ton of residue when removed.

For those that are wondering what I used to affix the screen again, I used the 3M VHB tape.

Thanks for nothing BlackBerry. :|

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry really needs to fix this customer service issue. I get that there are going to be defective units. I'm fine with that. There should be a clear return process though.

I know I've seen linked in here the email for BlackBerry suggestions / complaints. I hope anyone who has had to deal with BlackBerry CSR has sent one.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 11:25 AM
    BlackBerry really needs to fix this customer service issue. I get that there are going to be defective units. I'm fine with that. There should be a clear return process though.

I know I've seen linked in here the email for BlackBerry suggestions / complaints. I hope anyone who has had to deal with BlackBerry CSR has sent one.

Posted via CB10
    Can you share that link please?

10-26-14 11:27 AM
    Unless you get one through a carrier. Then you have to deal with the carrier. just had a friend go through this. He had bought the extra warranty for $150. Dropped his iphone and broke the screen. Had to pay an additional $200 and wait a week to get a replacement.

Still sounds slightly better than dealing with BlackBerry support. I feel fortunate I've never had to.

Posted via CB10
    Sounds odd.

I just got my iPhone 6 and paid $99 up front for Apple Care Plus. Over the space of the next two years, I can have my phone replaced due to water damage, broken screen, loss, theft, or device malfunction for $79. Regardless of how or where I bought it, whether through the carrier or through Apple.

This is less than the carrier insurance which is 9.99 per month. Over the two years it would cost around 239 bucks. And there is no guarantee that I would get a new device.

Better deal. Hop on the Metro, walk into the Pentagon City Mall with my Apple Care information, pay 79 bucks, and walk out with a new device.

http://m.imore.com/iphone-applecare-buyers-guide

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    solitude1984 likes this.
    10-26-14 11:30 AM
    Can you share that link please?

Darn it. I was hoping someone else had it. I've seen it linked - but I've never had an issue with my BlackBerry so I've never used it.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 11:34 AM
    Sounds odd.

I just got my iPhone 6 and paid $99 up front for Apple Care Plus. Over the space of the next two years, I can have my phone replaced due to water damage, broken screen, loss, theft, or device malfunction for $79. Regardless of how or where I bought it, whether through the carrier or through Apple.

This is less than the carrier insurance which is 9.99 per month. Over the two years it would cost around 239 bucks. And there is no guarantee that I would get a new device.

Better deal. Hop on the Metro, walk into the Pentagon City Mall with my Apple Care information, pay 79 bucks, and walk out with a new device.

This was through Bell in Canada. My friend actually left the store and told them it was highway robbery, but he needs his phone for work so had to go back. The phone is on contract if that makes a difference?

I had always thought you could return to an apple store regardless, but my friend said no - he was told he had to go through the carrier.

And just an information point - it took me 13 months to get rid of all things Bell in my house. I don't consider them a sterling example of customer service or knowledge. And if my friend finds out he could have actually returned to an apple store - he'll be ticked. Lol. But I did tell him to check it out and he said he did.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 11:43 AM
    Found a thread that has some contact #'s
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=970580

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 11:48 AM
    This was through Bell in Canada. My friend actually left the store and told them it was highway robbery, but he needs his phone for work so had to go back. The phone is on contract if that makes a difference?

I had always thought you could return to an apple store regardless, but my friend said no - he was told he had to go through the carrier.

And just an information point - it took me 13 months to get rid of all things Bell in my house. I don't consider them a sterling example of customer service or knowledge. And if my friend finds out he could have actually returned to an apple store - he'll be ticked. Lol. But I did tell him to check it out and he said he did.

Posted via CB10
    Ah I don't know how Bell or Canadian carriers work. Thing is the phone has full warranty for the first year, here in the US. I've never bought an iPhone abroad so I'm unfamiliar.

Can't imagine that carriers abroad would be so different. But I can't speak about something that I'm completely unfamiliar with, and Bell is not my carrier.

Don't tell your friend to check the Apple site now!!!! But might have checked before.....got a feeling things might have been a tad different.

I've never bought Apple Care before. I never even used carrier insurance. But since I'm now using my iPhone as my primary device I depend on it absolutely so I went for Apple Care Plus. I recommend it to my friends who ask me, instead of carrier insurance.

10-26-14 11:49 AM
    Yes.. why doesn't BlackBerry have the customer service of a multi billion dollar revenue company who've spent years constructing customer experience networks all over the world, whilst BlackBerry has until recently been burning cash and never really bothered to set up customer experience networks when they did have cash to spare... not with regular customers anyway..

If they're going to creep back to the top they need to see how they can use top of the line technologies to create the customer experience and support for tomorrow, not today.

E.g. Imagine if when you had a problem with your phone, you could go online to a website (or if an issue was identified via BBVE you would be prompted to) visit your nearest drop of point where you could scan your phone to collect a temporary refurbished one (which after the scan would begin restoring data from last OTA back up onto your new temporary phone), drop the old one off and track progress of the work via app , when fixed you could just go back, scan, drop replacement (after security wipe), pick up repaired or brand new device which would also have started restoring info from last back up and be on your merry way..

Only needs what, a part time employee assigned one or two drop off points, and some IT? And this is just off the top of my head (probably riddled with issues)

Point is instead of simply asking BlackBerry to catch up, the message should be for them to get ahead of the game...

Damn.. it's so easy to write essays without realising on this thing..

Posted from my PeePee!
    10-26-14 12:10 PM
    Yes.. why doesn't BlackBerry have the customer service of a multi billion dollar revenue company who've spent years constructing customer experience networks all over the world, whilst BlackBerry has until recently been burning cash and never really bothered to set up customer experience networks when they did have cash to spare... not with regular customers anyway..

If they're going to creep back to the top they need to see how they can use top of the line technologies to create the customer experience and support for tomorrow, not today.

E.g. Imagine if when you had a problem with your phone, you could go online to a website (or if an issue was identified via BBVE you would be prompted to) visit your nearest drop of point where you could scan your phone to collect a temporary refurbished one (which after the scan would begin restoring data from last OTA back up onto your new temporary phone), drop the old one off and track progress of the work via app , when fixed you could just go back, scan, drop replacement (after security wipe), pick up repaired or brand new device which would also have started restoring info from last back up and be on your merry way..

Only needs what, a part time employee assigned one or two drop off points, and some IT? And this is just off the top of my head (probably riddled with issues)

Point is instead of simply asking BlackBerry to catch up, the message should be for them to get ahead of the game...

Damn.. it's so easy to write essays without realising on this thing..

Posted from my PeePee!
    One of the reasons I used to love BlackBerry back in the day was that all their devices came with an advance exchange warranty. The carrier orders you a replacement, which often ended up being a brand new device, and when it arrived at the store 24hrs later you just gave them yours and they gave you the new one.

That was customer service! Now it's wait months on end and use some crappy loaner device.

10-26-14 12:16 PM
    One of the reasons I used to love BlackBerry back in the day was that all their devices came with an advance exchange warranty. The carrier orders you a replacement, which often ended up being a brand new device, and when it arrived at the store 24hrs later you just gave them yours and they gave you the new one.

That was customer service! Now it's wait months on end and use some crappy loaner device.

Tbf phone costs have gone up a bit since then...

Amazon should just share their distribution with BlackBerry, seeing how fire phone is now officially a flop.. that might help with getting replacements etc.

Posted from my PeePee!

Funnily enough, in the UK the firephone was supported by more networks than the passport.. imagine if amazon use their pull to put BlackBerry phones on networks
    10-26-14 12:50 PM
    that is the factory protector on a new device that he isnt using...
    I was about to say that's the tab on top of the phone to pull it out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 12:53 PM
    Can't believe BlackBerry won't stand behind its products - especially it's "flagship" device. I'm curious as to how many other Passports out there are defective - not sure if there's another thread on this topic but would be interested to see how widespread the defects are.

Maybe Verizon was on to something by not carrying the Passport.

I'm definitely sticking with my awesome Z30.

My bitchin' Z30 BlackBerry
    10-26-14 01:50 PM
    I keep reading through this and I still am not sure I understand it. Phone has a defect. Check. Phone purchased at a retailer. Check. Retailer has a return policy. Check. Manufacture has a warranty. Check. Warranty states all covered defects in materials and workmanship will be handled by replacing with a brand new device. WHAT??? When's the last time Chevy replaced your car? (or fixed it for that matter.) MItsubishi replaced my television? GE replaced my refrigerator? I've had many a different device fail for many a reason in my life. Most NEW items were replaced by the RETAILER, not the manufacture. After the return period is up, especially on higher priced items, it becomes "repair or replace, at our option" which has mostly to do with cost of repair rather than any other factor.

While it would be a NICE gesture for Blackberry to do something, I can't for the life of me see why so many people EXPECT it. From what I can see, Telus is your problem, and their policy seems to be weak, but explicit. As to the second one. The usual customer service method for expedition is exchange with refurb. The don't have an inventory of new ones, much less a stock of refurbs. Hence, send in for repair, since it is a relatively inexpensive fix.

Not trying to rag on anyone, but it's a little too extreme to hang blackberry because you don't get a new phone with every defect. It's pretty rare with most things of any value.
    Good luck
    Spawn12 and Jeffm63 like this.
    10-26-14 02:47 PM
    There is another thread where BB customer service is satisfying and provide advance RMA on defective Passport.
    It is a total different experience than what this OP has been through.
    I wonder how many people have negative or positive experience with BB customer service?
    10-26-14 02:59 PM
    Can't believe BlackBerry won't stand behind its products - especially it's "flagship" device. I'm curious as to how many other Passports out there are defective - not sure if there's another thread on this topic but would be interested to see how widespread the defects are.

Maybe Verizon was on to something by not carrying the Passport.

I'm definitely sticking with my awesome Z30.

My bitchin' Z30 BlackBerry
    Well do a search and see if anything comes up???

As for Verizon, their loss not carrying the Passport which from what I can remember is possibly BlackBerry's most popular device out there. Same goes for the many carrier in my country, they lose out on such an awesome device, a real game changer.

Z30 is a brilliant device but I can't say I miss mine one single bit since I got my Passport almost 4 weeks ago.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 03:02 PM
    I keep reading through this and I still am not sure I understand it. Phone has a defect. Check. Phone purchased at a retailer. Check. Retailer has a return policy. Check. Manufacture has a warranty. Check. Warranty states all covered defects in materials and workmanship will be handled by replacing with a brand new device. WHAT??? When's the last time Chevy replaced your car? (or fixed it for that matter.) MItsubishi replaced my television? GE replaced my refrigerator? I've had many a different device fail for many a reason in my life. Most NEW items were replaced by the RETAILER, not the manufacture. After the return period is up, especially on higher priced items, it becomes "repair or replace, at our option" which has mostly to do with cost of repair rather than any other factor.

While it would be a NICE gesture for Blackberry to do something, I can't for the life of me see why so many people EXPECT it. From what I can see, Telus is your problem, and their policy seems to be weak, but explicit. As to the second one. The usual customer service method for expedition is exchange with refurb. The don't have an inventory of new ones, much less a stock of refurbs. Hence, send in for repair, since it is a relatively inexpensive fix.

Not trying to rag on anyone, but it's a little too extreme to hang blackberry because you don't get a new phone with every defect. It's pretty rare with most things of any value.
    Good luck
    I guess every consumer will expect a new replacement on a "defects in materials and workmanship".
    Or am I missing the point?
    10-26-14 03:04 PM
    Here is the difference with Apple. One of my kids iPhone 5 had a defective battery about three weeks after purchase. I went to T-Mobile store where I bought and they told me I'd be better off going to an Apple store and they would replace the phone immediately for free where T-Mobile would charge $10 for the warranty and would take days to get replacement. Did what they said and the Apple store made sure it wasn't water damage and gave me a brand new phone in less than 15 minutes.

Dealing with carriers sucks. BlackBerry needs to stand behind their product. It is sick that they are even saying the shopblackberry.com purchases are not technically from them. If they are going to bypass the carriers then they need to man up on suppory.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    10-26-14 03:14 PM
    Since there isn't a photo here yet, here's what happened to my Passport.
    Attachment 308623

Posted via CB10
    This is why I never buy a phone first. I know there are people like you that will test it for me :-) thank you. Now I'm sure about that I don't wanna buy the Passport.

My next phone will either be BlackBerry Classic or Sony Xperia Z3 Compact.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 03:21 PM

Good luck
    My iPhone 5s built up some disgusting crud (pocket lint, I think) inside the camera housing that was affecting picture quality. It was almost exactly a year old when I took it in last week to the Apple Store. I have AppleCare Plus on it. They did a repair that took about an hour but they wanted to check the Touch ID since the front plate had to removed and it can be affected. Well, yup, it apparently was damaged during the repair so off they went to get me a replacement from the back. Don't know if it is a refurb or brand new but I suspect the latter because it is absolutely pristine.

Is this kind of service typical? No. Is it valuable to me? Oh hell, yes. Going through the hassle the OP described is horrific. My time is super valuable and I don't need that extra stress. I do think we should expect better, if not as much as Apple offers, from the retailers and carriers..That the OP has to glue/tape together the parts of his top end phone that has barely been out for 2 months because the vendor won't support it is unacceptable. As someone ekes commented, has that now invalidated his 1year hardware warranty? All around ugly.

Btw, OP, I would follow up with a detailed complaint letter to BBRY high command.
    reeneebob and jakie55 like this.
    10-26-14 05:59 PM
    There definitely seems to be some type of issue in build quality here. I didn't notice it until today, but I have major dust underneath my screen. The T key is also sticking now. I dread going through digital river to get this replaced has anyone successfully had one replaced through them?
    reeneebob likes this.
    10-26-14 06:21 PM
    There definitely seems to be some type of issue in build quality here. I didn't notice it until today, but I have major dust underneath my screen. The T key is also sticking now. I dread going through digital river to get this replaced has anyone successfully had one replaced through them?
    Let me take a quick guess...your T key is sticking on the top, almost as though it gets stuck under the silver strip running above the key? Just curious since I've seen sticky keys on 2/5 devices and both were like that.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 07:22 PM
424 ... 45678 ...