There are some QC issues with these phones though for sure. I'm not just saying that for ****s and giggles. The first Passport I bought from Telus had to be RMAd because the "O" key was defective. The replacement was fine. Third Passport I bought is this one, and now it has a screen defect. I also bought two more from Shop BlackBerry and one came defective with the screen detached at the top and the "A" key sticking. The fifth one has issues with the notification LED bleeding through the top of the screen.

Out of 5 devices, bought at random times, different places, 2 were DOA, and 2 have known defects, one being a large one, the screen. Only 1 out of the 5 seemed flawless.

Posted via CB10
    Dude, you're just out of luck. Replace for another one that I'll wish you all the luck from here.

iWho? Z30 baby...
    dejanh likes this.
    10-23-14 06:23 PM
    I don't know about you guys, but my screen feels like I'm using storm 9500 minus the click,my screen does go inside a tiny bit, I haven't had this issue with the Q10, my device is less than an hour old.

Is this normal for its size:screen or I'm looking at a defected device?
    BerryMan83 likes this.
    10-23-14 08:27 PM
    I don't know about you guys, but my screen feels like I'm using storm 9500 minus the click,my screen does go inside a tiny bit, I haven't had this issue with the Q10, my device is less than an hour old.

Is this normal for its size:screen or I'm looking at a defected device?
    I would get that exchanged. If the screen is "breathing" it will eventually separate from the frame, like mine and other people's.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 08:54 PM
    Dude, you're just out of luck. Replace for another one that I'll wish you all the luck from here.

iWho? Z30 baby...
    Have you read the thread at all? He's been TRYING to get his device exchanged but keeps getting passed around.

To the OP: just want to also add my sympathy to your situation. I've also dealt with bad customer service in the past and it is beyond frustrating especially after spending so much money on something that's supposed to be the companies most high-end product. I also sincerely hope this is resolved for you and BlackBerry makes a hardware change using stronger adhesive. This is unacceptable.

Posted via CB10
    dejanh and allengeorge like this.
    10-23-14 08:54 PM
    My device is less than an hour old! I initially thought because the screen is separated from the screen frame that it'd probably be normal. apparently not!
    10-23-14 09:05 PM
    And here it begins...I hope this doesn't drag on to 2015 like the Q10 thread...hundreds of pages later.
    10-23-14 09:14 PM
    And here it begins...I hope this doesn't drag on to 2015 like the Q10 thread...hundreds of pages later.
    Yup. Hopefully BlackBerry resolves the issue quickly.
    10-23-14 09:45 PM
    Get it replaced Asap

Z30 Beast on Roids....
    10-23-14 10:05 PM
    Yup. Hopefully BlackBerry resolves the issue quickly.
    If I know Blackberry, resolving the issue usually means ditching it.
    MC_A_DOT likes this.
    10-23-14 10:07 PM
    Dud for you. For me a dream come true. Sorry but true. I know many others happy as well. I suggest you get busy getting a new one or switch phones. Even BMW owners are unhappy sometimes. You need to decide what you want to do. Just realize only a very small percentage of any device in the world will come out with issues. Have a look at the iphone. That is a serious issue and they have not resolved.

Posted via the Blackberry Passport
    Sir,

I'm not a fan of Apple, I never like how they sell old technology and brand it in their flagship device, I've owned more than 20 iDevices. starting from iPhone 3G when it did not have an LED flash while Nokia had it up until the 5S.

But if you had an issue with an iPhone, replacing it is really easy, unless of course you ran into a careless store manager that never check after their iClerk and notice that they mistakenly input the wrong Serial Number and instead of punching S they punched 5.... only to get your iPhone stolen and of course apple cannot locate or lock it. since you had to have insurance even though they just replaced it for you. the only thing I love about apple is their customer service. but good luck with Blackberry...
    allengeorge and blee4 like this.
    10-23-14 10:20 PM
    I'm going to purchase a Passport next Friday from Bell. Two things I always make sure to do when I buy a new device is go to a corporate store, and always make friends with the clerk selling me the device. It does wonders when the unforeseen happens, back in the day I had a hardware failure on my nieces Bold (keyboard stopped working) and had it exchanged on the spot even though the 15 day period had already passed by six months ago. Fortunately that clerk just happened to be a fellow Blackberry fan-boy lol
    10-23-14 11:46 PM
    Here's the pic of this device...I don't think I need to zoom and crop. The separating of the screen from the frame is pretty visible.

Attachment 308645

And here is the other Passport. Look at the LED, just above it, and notice how it shines through the frame. Photo makes it look a lot better actually. In addition to it shining through, there is no seal on the screen there. Also, the lower left and right corner on this device flex, and they too will likely come loose. Finally, this one also has a letter "A" that sticks.

Attachment 308646
    If that's how you got it out of the box, it's just sad. I am referring to the second pic with air bubbles. Normally, you don't expect a brand new device to have a finishing like that. At least I have never had a device come out of a box like that.
    10-24-14 12:12 AM
    If that's how you got it out of the box, it's just sad. I am referring to the second pic with air bubbles. Normally, you don't expect a brand new device to have a finishing like that. At least I have never had a device come out of a box like that.
    Huh? It's air bubbles under the protective screen cover, not in the screen. Once you open the box, you remove the sticker, and then you won't see those bubbles anymore.

You know that sticker isn't a real screen protector, right?
    10-24-14 08:18 AM
    Try a hard reboot by pulling battery and reload the OS. That might fix it?
    Just kidding. I know that would suck after having so much fun using it.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    10-24-14 09:15 AM
    Huh? It's air bubbles under the protective screen cover, not in the screen. Once you open the box, you remove the sticker, and then you won't see those bubbles anymore.

You know that sticker isn't a real screen protector, right?
    Yes, I know that's the screen cover. But empirically speaking (writing), that's precisely my point: when you are sending out a brand new product to the market and handing it over to the consumer like that, it just shows careless finishing. For me at least, I have never seen a brand new device right out of the box with such poorly applied screen guard. And yes, that's important for me because other than showing how seriously the packaging of product was taken, it's also important because I do not always remove that plastic cover for the reason that an actual screen guard is not always readily available and I can't go without having a screen guard on the device - like it's with my Passport at present. Now, all of this is really subjective and maybe overcautious too, but for me that's an indicator of how seriously the finishing of product packaging was taken.
    andy957 likes this.
    10-24-14 09:31 AM
    Yes, I know that's the screen cover. But empirically speaking (writing), that's precisely my point: when you are sending out a brand new product to the market and handing it over to the consumer like that, it just shows careless finishing. For me at least, I have never seen a brand new device right out of the box with such poorly applied screen guard. And yes, that's important for me because other than showing how seriously the packaging of product was taken, it's also important because I do not always remove that plastic cover for the reason that an actual screen guard is not always readily available and I can't go without having a screen guard on the device - like it's with my Passport at present. Now, all of this is really subjective and maybe overcautious too, but for me that's an indicator of how seriously the finishing of product packaging was taken.

Guess some are more nit picky than others. BTW the cover on m replacement screen for my Z30 had bubbles. I guess I should have sent it back?
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-24-14 09:58 AM

Guess some are more nit picky than others. BTW the cover on m replacement screen for my Z30 had bubbles. I guess I should have sent it back?
    Lol, no? Why would you wanna do anything based on my thinking?
    My point was I don't like being handed new products with half-assed finishing, no matter how small a part of the package it is. If you (not you specifically, but you in general) are careless enough to offer your product or services without everything being in its proper place in a proper way, I absolutely hate you. I am not Okay with mediocrity, and this works for me so I follow it. It's absolutely fine for you to disagree with this pov and not subscribe to-/ agree with- it.
    Q10Bold and Witmen like this.
    10-24-14 11:09 AM
    Don't you think this topic has run its coarse?

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 11:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    I personally would like to see resolution of the OP's situation. That is after all the topic of the thread.

I must say I don't like what s/he described about the type of tape used. That's potentially a long term problem in the brewing for the production run if it is the default material used. From the way the OP and a couple other posters described it, it can be fine as long as it isn't dislodged but once it is and get unstickified, it leads to catastrophic failure of the seal. That's a bit ugly. One can hope the tape gets swapped out for the more durable one in upcoming production runs.
    10-24-14 11:48 AM
    Lol, no? Why would you wanna do anything based on my thinking?
    My point was I don't like being handed new products with half-assed finishing, no matter how small a part of the package it is. If you (not you specifically, but you in general) are careless enough to offer your product or services without everything being in its proper place in a proper way, I absolutely hate you. I am not Okay with mediocrity, and this works for me so I follow it. It's absolutely fine for you to disagree with this pov and not subscribe to-/ agree with- it.
    Well get rid of it and get your checkbook out. Warning, I'm sure if iPhones and Androids come with a plastic cover on the screen some will have bubbles too. It isn't a screen protector.
    10-24-14 12:38 PM
    I have several friends and clients with iPhone 6 and the plus models and neither of them have had an issue with the phone bending. As far as the issue with the passport screen separation, I have been in the manufacturing sector for 30+ years and you are always going to have some defects.

It's already factored into the assembly process. It's just unfortunate that the OP has to get one of the bad ones. That's why they have a warranty with the device.

Posted from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA

Posted via CB10
    I personally would like to see resolution of the OP's situation. That is after all the topic of the thread.

I must say I don't like what s/he described about the type of tape used. That's potentially a long term problem in the brewing for the production run if it is the default material used. From the way the OP and a couple other posters described it, it can be fine as long as it isn't dislodged but once it is and get unstickified, it leads to catastrophic failure of the seal. That's a bit ugly. One can hope the tape gets swapped out for the more durable one in upcoming production runs.
    I'm quoting all three posts at once because they are all related. I'd like to give everyone an update on what is happening so let's dive right into in, shall we.

After spending another ~2 hours with BlackBerry support on the phone yesterday, they are refusing to handle the warranty as a replacement on either of the two devices. For the device where the screen is splitting, they are waiving all responsibility for it because it was purchased from Telus. They will absolutely not offer any sort of BlackBerry direct support for the product and demand that I deal with the carrier. Basically, they are brushing their hands off of it, though they did offer to talk to Telus with me on the line to try to get them to deal with the issue. Unfortunately, because the Telus phone is more than 15 days from the date of purchase and has had more than 30 minutes of talk time it the only option that Telus would offer, and this is a BIG "if", would be to send the phone in for repair which can take a couple of months and at best will net me a used, refurbished device as a return. So, for the device where the screen is splitting, there is absolutely nothing BlackBerry will do for me, and Telus won't give me a new device either.

For the second device from Shop BlackBerry, that came defective straight from their shop, BlackBerry is also refusing to handle the warranty. They are forcing me to go through Shop BlackBerry, but Shop BlackBerry refuses to issue a replacement. The best that they offered me is either to return the device at my own expense and then re-buy a new device, go through all the waiting, and lose any discount that I received on this particular purchase, or alternatively to send the phone at my own expense for repair, in which case it would be replaced with a refurbished device. So, for the device that was DOA from Shop BlackBerry, there is nothing that BlackBerry will do for me, and Shop BlackBerry is refusing to issue any sort of advance replacement.

Here is the email I received from the support supervisor at BlackBerry in regards to the second device. For the first one with the splitting screen, I don't have anything in an email, though if this charade goes on I will ask them for written record and then post it here.

BlackBerry Customer Support
    11:52 PM (10 hours ago)
    to me

Hello Dejan,

Thank you for your recent contact with BlackBerry� Customer Support.

I called Shop BlackBerry again and did my best to ask for other options that will suit you preference for the repair but we are given the same 2 options which are the following:

1. send us the device - refund wil be provided
    2. send us thru repairs team - replacement device

Thank you for choosing BlackBerry. We hope to hear from you soon. If you have further concerns, you can call us back at the same number.

Sincerely,

Mary

BlackBerry Customer Support
    NA Toll Free: 1-877-255-2377
    UK Toll Free: 0808 100 7466
    Europe: +44 1753 558400
    Worldwide: +11-647-426-1108
    BlackBerry Support
    I will try once more reaching to Shop BlackBerry today and escalate to the management right away in hope that they will finally start to cooperate. I want to note here that I have been very polite, and even raised to their attention the importance of providing good after-sales service when issues arise. I emphasized how long I've been a supporter of BlackBerry, and how many of their devices I own now and have owned over time. Unfortunately none of this had any effect at all.

As for the device with the splitting screen, I am still trying things through Telus since BlackBerry has completely abandoned that device. At the end, I may have to take it upon myself to repair it and hope that I don't destroy it in the process.
    10-24-14 12:49 PM
    Oh wow. That is completely unacceptable.
    10-24-14 01:25 PM
    Sorry to hear that OP -I find that really annoying. How can they refuse to provide any support for you just because it's bought through Telus -after all it's not Telus producing the device...it's BB -.-
    Last edited by Nikolay Konov; 10-24-14 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Double post for I wasn't sure if it's posted arleady.
    10-24-14 01:53 PM
    That is just insane. I cannot believe BlackBerry will not stand behind their product. They need take a good, long hard look at the way Apple does things on the customer service front.

My sister-in-law's iPhone 5 bit the dust after she updated to iOS 8.1. It stopped reading SIM cards for whatever reason. This was an iPhone that had been out of warranty for a good 7 months. She took it into an Apple Store and they were initially going to charge her $280 for a replacement... But after she raised a slight fuss and how it wasn't her fault since the only thing she did was update her device to Apple's latest OS they ended up waiving the fee.
    I don't know if she's getting a refurbished one or not, but the fact that they took care of her despite being out of warranty in such a manner is what matters.

I have a Passport and I love it. Bought it through DR the first day it was available.
    This scares me and gives me little hope in having my device replaced if I am unfortunate enough to have a similar issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-24-14 02:03 PM
    I am shocked reading this post. I do believe that, as a BlackBerry support Web site, this should be brought to crackberry attention. An article in this matter in front page or something. I like BlackBerry products but this has nothing to do with loyalty or personal preference. This is plain simple terrible customer service. I fail to see how BlackBerry is not responsible for the warranty for both devices. And us, regardless of if this situation affect us directly or not, should demand warranty coverage. Sometimes companies need a media or public pressure to attend their duties and responsibilities with products and support. And here is the opportunity to be more than just a fan Web site, because if this is handled correct and professionally then not only BlackBerry as a company but also us as supporters and customers will gain from it

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 02:15 PM
424 ... 23456 ...