Thats why I dont get the Passport. I am afraid of the faulty units, and there are no spare parts on the web to change anything by myself :/
    look, we BB users have to change by ourself keyboards(Q10), screens etc :/
    But I stay with BlackBerry (Q10). I need that physical keyboard!
    Agreed. I'm scared, too after I heard of their quality problems with the Passport.

Z10 (red) OS10.2.2.1609 Q5 (red) OS10.3.0.1418
    12-29-14 07:03 PM
    Sure.
    Amazon offered a refund. They have no business in fulfilling a warranty for BlackBerry, and the refund window was already closed, so they offered a partial refund.
    After seeing that I can't contact BlackBerry in any way, not even through them, and after I pointed out that I purchased a device with warranty from Amazon and can't use that warranty, they decided to offer a replacement, taking the responsibility of the warranty.

Makes sense?
    Makes perfect sense. I know exactly what you went through. My experience was between Telus and BlackBerry, but same exact story, minus any refund or help offered. I was simply in a limbo, fixed the device myself, and eventually sold it at a huge loss. I still use a Passport because it's the best for what I need it. I have nothing good to say about BlackBerry and the QC of the Passport as a device.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 07:13 PM
    I think you could have taken the partial and sold the phone on ebay as is and made money. I see this as an easy trade. Nothing is made perfect by unperfect humans. Remember challenger?
    12-29-14 07:35 PM
    BlackBerry support is horrendous. They should really take a lesson from Apple support. I've dealt with both and the superiority of Apple support almost worth switching for.

Part of the reason of the poor support may be BlackBerry has outsourced their support. When I talk to them they really don't care although every third word is "sorry" and every third statement is "I do apologise" or "I understand".

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 07:35 PM
    Agreed. I'm scared, too after I heard of their quality problems with the Passport.

Z10 (red) OS10.2.2.1609 Q5 (red) OS10.3.0.1418
    And that my friend is the point most of these threads... just sayin.

Classically Posted.
    12-29-14 07:37 PM
    I wonder what would happen if a corporation bought 1000 Passports and had multiple complaints about screens falling apart...how would they be treated?
    12-29-14 08:17 PM
    Sorry to hear about the bad luck OP, but reports like these make me glad I didn't jump on the Passport at launch. After the Q10 double typing problem I dealt with on 2 different devices, I decided to never be an early adapter of BlackBerry products again. Their customer support and quality control have proven over the years too poor to take the risk. A smartphone should last for years without falling apart, not weeks.

I still got my eye on the classic for any possible wide spread issues that may pop up though. Hopefully it has a better track record than the Passport does.
    12-30-14 10:05 PM
    I sent in a question to Amazon about warranty support for the Passport and they said that once you have the phone for over 30 days, then the user should contact the manufacturer for warranty support. From my understanding that is Amazon's standard policy toward all smartphones that they sale directly, but Blackberry is the only device maker, that I know of, that states in their warranty to contact the place where you purchased the device from for warranty support. I will give credit to Amazon that they are willing to go the extra step to ensure that their customer is happy, as the support person told me that they are willing to work with a customer to get the issue resolved if there is issue about getting warranty support from Blackberry. I am glad to hear that what they stated to me turned out to be true, given what the OP stated what Amazon was going to do for them. I know one thing if more people have issues with their Blackberry devices purchase from Amazon, then Amazon might light a fire under Blackberry to open up warranty support for users who purchase phones from Amazon or workout a deal where Amazon will handle warranty claims for blackberry devices sold by them for the full 1 year warranty period.

People should not really bring up the Playbook when talking about warranty support of blackberry smartphones because when the Playbook was launch Blackberry had setup resources to provide direct support for that particular product and never did the same for individual customers that purchased Blackberry smartphones from places such as Amazon.

If a company is purchasing a large number of blackberry devices they are either getting their warranty support from their carrier because of a business contract or they have direct support from Blackberry by way of having a BES license.
    12-30-14 11:54 PM
    I really don't understand people who say BlackBerry can't build a slider that's durable. I say this because you mentioned your glorious torch. I still have 2 Torch 9810's and they are built like a tank. I used mine for years. It survived drops and everything else and it still runs.

It's clear BlackBerry has QC issues with the PP but they sure didn't have them with the Torch. And I guess the people who think they can't make a slider must be thinking in terms of how the PP is holding up.

BlackBerry seems to have hits and misses. Z30 seems to be a quality phone. Maybe not as tank like as the 9810 but still it's been pretty great.

Sorry this happened to you. Amazon is a great place to buy from. Glad they at least gave you an exchange.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154 /T-Mobile USA
    12-31-14 12:00 AM
    A smaller device will be more rigid - as you increase the size, you increase leverage by having longer surfaces AND because it is longer and wider, there's more of a chance that carrying it in your pocket (pants pocket especially) will bend/break it. Imagine carrying a pencil in your pocket: a 6" long pencil can be broken easily, but a 4" long pencil is harder to break because you have less leverage, and the ratio of pencil length to width is lower..

The Passport has a frame that's constructed like a frame they might have used for the Q10, but by being larger, it isn't strong enough to prevent flexing. This is exactly the same problem the iPhone 6 is having. In the Passport's case, when the device flexes, the stiffer glass/screen doesn't, and that causes the glass be pried off of the frame. Had they made the frame stronger, it would have used a lot more metal and added a lot more weight and bulk and reduced the available interior volume in the phone, which likely would have been compensated for by using a smaller battery.

Anyway, this is a potential problem for all larger phones, and if the manufacturer doesn't compensate for it properly, it's an issue. Samsung, for example, uses a near-solid slab of magnesium as the frame for the Note series, which is why they don't bend despite their larger size.
    12-31-14 12:26 AM
    I really don't understand people who say BlackBerry can't build a slider that's durable. I say this because you mentioned your glorious torch. I still have 2 Torch 9810's and they are built like a tank. I used mine for years. It survived drops and everything else and it still runs.

It's clear BlackBerry has QC issues with the PP but they sure didn't have them with the Torch. And I guess the people who think they can't make a slider must be thinking in terms of how the PP is holding up.

BlackBerry seems to have hits and misses. Z30 seems to be a quality phone. Maybe not as tank like as the 9810 but still it's been pretty great.

Sorry this happened to you. Amazon is a great place to buy from. Glad they at least gave you an exchange.

Guess you never tried the original Torch 9800? That thing was POS. I had to return 5 of them in a span of one week. One literally died as I was walking out of the store, no exaggeration, it just went black screen and never turned on again. No wonder it got replaced by the Torch 9810 in 6 months.
    12-31-14 01:52 AM
    12-31-14 01:53 AM
    I was treated fairly by Amazon, not BlackBerry, after 1 faulty web form, 2 posts to BlackBerry, 2 Phone calls and 3 chats with Amazon and a few attempts by Amazon to get a response from BlackBerry.

I'm not complaining. I'm just sharing.
    Recently dealt directly with BlackBerry customer service in regard to a faulty passport that was still under warranty. I actually found their service was nothing like you experienced. It was quick and painless to get an advance exchange for my faulty device.

But I did bought my passport through shop BlackBerry.
    12-31-14 02:11 AM
    Recently dealt directly with BlackBerry customer service in regard to a faulty passport that was still under warranty. I actually found their service was nothing like you experienced. It was quick and painless to get an advance exchange for my faulty device.

But I did bought my passport through shop BlackBerry.
    They've improved their service for devices bought from Shop BlackBerry. It's relatively painless to get an Advance Exchange. The only issue is that the device that comes is not BNIB. It may be new, but with no box and accessories, or it may be refurbished. I've changed two Passports this way to date.
    12-31-14 02:26 AM
    Yikes I think someone in the production line fell asleep and missed a slab of glue on the phone. I haven't seen any sign of my screen falling apart like this.
    12-31-14 02:57 AM
    Guess you never tried the original Torch 9800? That thing was POS. I had to return 5 of them in a span of one week. One literally died as I was walking out of the store, no exaggeration, it just went black screen and never turned on again. No wonder it got replaced by the Torch 9810 in 6 months.
    You're right I never had a 9800. My wife and I both had the 9810 and they both have held up great. The AT&T model had a lot of silver on it. Kind of like the Z30. Paint that just was easy to scratch - just cosmetic stuff. But the T-Mobile phone had less of that.

I'm glad I wasn't aware of those issues on the 9800 or I'd never have gotten a 9810. When I researched the phone the only things I read about the 9800 was that it was underpowered and came with OS6. They said the 9810 is how it should have been released in the first place.

I guess I have a lot of nostalgia for the Torch. I'd love a slider version of a BB10. Then again, in a few months it will be 2 years since I left the physical keyboard for the Z10. I'm starting to get used to the virtual keyboard. I'd still love that option of a slide out but I don't see it happening.

5 in one week though! Wow. What did you end up getting instead? At the time I got my 9810 I remember being pretty tempted by the 9900.

12-31-14 03:30 AM
    Note for EUROPEAN purchasers

A quick note for anybody who has similar problems/concerns but purchases in Europe (like me!) - you should not have any of these problems re: replacement/refunds as consumer protection is much stronger in Europe. Amazon occasionally 'try it on' (I do wonder if this is because of poorly trained call centre staff not realising what the European consumer protection laws are - I think the Amazon call centre staff I talk to are based in the Philippines) but an email to them has always sorted stuff out for me (my assumption is that the emails are dealt with by a more senior team at Amazon).

I'm just about to purchase a Passport (probably via Amazon!) so am keeping a close eye on these Passport hardware issue threads.....

Hope this helps
    12-31-14 05:25 AM
    Amazon offered a refund. $480 instead of $600. It's understandable. It's not Amazons fault. After pointing out that they sell a device with warranty that you can't use, they offered a replacement unit. I took it. I'll probably sell it on eBay.
    I may misread but ... your device is fonctional right now with a cosmetic problem and they will replace it with a shiny one ?
    I'm not sure I get your problem, but I do share your pain to have a dummy unit at the first place.
    12-31-14 09:29 AM
    Yikes I think someone in the production line fell asleep and missed a slab of glue on the phone. I haven't seen any sign of my screen falling apart like this.
    AFAIK that's #2 here.
    12-31-14 09:30 AM
    I bought from Blackberry.com and returned 2 passports after they sent me 3 replacements. Great service and they accommodated my situation how I could not be without a phone ever for work. So happy with the service and the result. I was a day one early adopter.
    spiculated likes this.
    12-31-14 09:50 AM
    Sorry you got one of these...

I agree that BlackBerry needs to look at a one on one support relationship with users, instead of relying on Carriers, Amazon or DD. But that cost money and would GREATLY affect their revenue, especially with sales falling.
    Totally agree. If their business model is now shopblackberry direct to consumer they need to ditch digital river and bring in-house.

Posted via CB10
    byex likes this.
    01-08-15 06:14 PM
    Hi I bought the passport on Amazon and was really loving it. I was really happy to like BlackBerry again but then the bottom right of my screen has started lifting up exactly like the picture of your left side so I contacted BlackBerry a few weeks ago and they told me I had to deal with the seller. I considered taking it apart but I looked at a youtube video and I'm afraid I would break it and lose the warranty. Can you please tell me what you had to do? Did you send them a picture of the phone or did you have to send the whole unit back. I got it in the USA when I was there but I live in Europe now so its really complicated (and expensive to ship the phone). Thanks for sharing.
    02-21-15 11:37 AM
47 12