And BlackBerry are nowhere to be found.

This is my story, because sharing is caring.

I bought the Passport through Amazon as soon as I could. I've been using BB since the glorious Torch (9800 -> 9900 -> Z10 -> Q10 -> Z30 -> Passport). After a couple of months my screen started falling apart, bottom left corner. It happened to others in here as well.

I don't use a case but I never dropped the phone. I use my front pocket or carry it in my hand.

I tried contacting BB. They have a web form to all who bought phones through Amazon. It is not recognising me as an Amazon shopper.
    I posted in their support forum (can't add the link, I'm new here).
    I tweeted to their support account - No response.
    I tried to Call BB - +1 (877) 255-2377. No solutions there. They asked me to contact my retailer - Amazon.

Finally - I contacted Amazon. Together we tried to call BlackBerry. You would think Amazon can get an answer from them. Nope. Nothing.

Amazon offered a refund. $480 instead of $600. It's understandable. It's not Amazons fault. After pointing out that they sell a device with warranty that you can't use, they offered a replacement unit. I took it. I'll probably sell it on eBay.

BlackBerry can't afford to act like this. They are in bad shape and need to take better care of their loyal customers. I'm very disappointed with the whole experience. It might be a single incident, but I doubt it.

To be clear - I'm a BlackBerry fan. I love the software (Blend and OS), love the keyboard, and I use my phone as a tool, not a toy. I'm sharing my experience just to get it off my chest.

Happy new year.

My Passport screen is falling apart-img_20141224_193351-2.jpg
    Last edited by yulkes; 12-29-14 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Dropped the Android part. not the point and not relevant.
    12-29-14 10:03 AM
    Sorry you got one of these...

I agree that BlackBerry needs to look at a one on one support relationship with users, instead of relying on Carriers, Amazon or DD. But that cost money and would GREATLY affect their revenue, especially with sales falling.
    12-29-14 11:51 AM
    Why not just go back to the z30?

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 11:55 AM
    Why not just go back to the z30?

Posted via CB10
    Honestly, that was my first thought. However, I do need to get familiar with Android, and it feels like a good opportunity to do so.

I don't hate BlackBerry. I absolutely love the Z30, and its current price is very tempting (I don't have my old Z30 anymore). I'm just very frustrated that I couldn't do a simple thing such as use the warranty and thought I'd share it with CB after years of reading and enjoying this community.
    12-29-14 12:08 PM
    Honestly, that was my first thought. However, I do need to get familiar with Android, and it feels like a good opportunity to do so.

I don't hate BlackBerry. I absolutely love the Z30, and its current price is very tempting (I don't have my old Z30 anymore). I'm just very frustrated that I couldn't do a simple thing such as use the warranty and thought I'd share it with CB after years of reading and enjoying this community.
    Makes sense.. dealing directly with BlackBerry is one of the biggest PITAs I've ever had to experience. Have you decided on an android device?

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 12:12 PM
    HTC One M8. Just because you can wake him up like a BlackBerry by swiping up.
    I found myself trying to wake iphones and androids with that gesture since my Z10..
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-29-14 12:16 PM
    I am negatively surprised Amazon couldn't offer you a better solution. I know it is not really their fault, but at least around here they usually end up offering very good support when it comes to warranty issues. I am pretty baffled how BlackBerry keeps failing in those regards.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 12:19 PM
    I am negatively surprised Amazon couldn't offer you a better solution. I know it is not really their fault, but at least around here they usually end up offering very good support when it comes to warranty issues. I am pretty baffled how BlackBerry keeps failing in those regards.

Posted via CB10
    At the end of the day, Amazon are doing BlackBerrys' job by replacing my defective device with a new one. There is no better solution in my opinion, don't you agree?
    SmileDahling likes this.
    12-29-14 12:24 PM
    And they keep on coming...

Sorry that you had to experience this. At least take solace in the fact that you aren't the only one. Good luck with whatever platform you decide to move to next! Perhaps one day BlackBerry will get their stuff in order.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 12:34 PM
    So they gave you a new device and you're still disappointed? Seems to me you were treated fairly.

Classically Posted.
    12-29-14 12:50 PM
    Sorry to hear OP, but I'm a little confused. If the screen hadn't lifted you would not have to switch to Android, or you would still, but felt you should register just to get this off your chest?

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    12-29-14 12:53 PM
    It's probably happening due to torque such as twisting of the unit, usually in a pocket. It doesn't matter how rigid the steel frame is if you can twist it. The frame may not bend but any flat component will experience a lot of stress at the corners.
    12-29-14 12:58 PM
    Get a case and stop sitting on ur phone
    12-29-14 12:58 PM
    So they gave you a new device and you're still disappointed? Seems to me you were treated fairly.

Classically Posted.
    I was treated fairly by Amazon, not BlackBerry, after 1 faulty web form, 2 posts to BlackBerry, 2 Phone calls and 3 chats with Amazon and a few attempts by Amazon to get a response from BlackBerry.

I'm not complaining. I'm just sharing.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    12-29-14 01:08 PM
    Sorry to hear OP, but I'm a little confused. If the screen hadn't lifted you would not have to switch to Android, or you would still, but felt you should register just to get this off your chest?

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    I visit CB forums since I owned a Torch. It's the first post simply to share and get it off my chest.
    I'm switching to Android because I need to, I really don't want to, and the opportunity feels right, as it'll take few weeks to send Amazon my current device and get a new one, and I need a phone.
    12-29-14 01:11 PM
    " . . . I need to use Android as a daily driver. . .

OK. And Amazon looked after you. . . . So you are good to go.
    12-29-14 01:11 PM
    Get a case and stop sitting on ur phone
    I never used a case on any of my previous devices and nothing happened, and I definitely never sat on my phone or dropped it.
    Last edited by yulkes; 12-29-14 at 02:03 PM.
    12-29-14 01:15 PM
    " . . . I need to use Android as a daily driver. . .

OK. And Amazon looked after you. . . . So you are good to go.
    That's really not the point.
    12-29-14 01:15 PM
    Something doesn't make sense!?why did amazon not just send you a replacement BUT they gave you less dollar for it!? Please explain with a bit more detail please,im curious!?

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 01:19 PM
    Something doesn't make sense!?why did amazon not just send you a replacement BUT they gave you less dollar for it!? Please explain with a bit more detail please,im curious!?

Posted via CB10
    Sure.
    Amazon offered a refund. They have no business in fulfilling a warranty for BlackBerry, and the refund window was already closed, so they offered a partial refund.
    After seeing that I can't contact BlackBerry in any way, not even through them, and after I pointed out that I purchased a device with warranty from Amazon and can't use that warranty, they decided to offer a replacement, taking the responsibility of the warranty.

Makes sense?
    12-29-14 01:27 PM
    Not sure how you're privy to warranty/exchange contract between BlackBerry and Amazon. I doubt Amazon provided a free device just because they are "nice". Hope your happy on Android.

Classically Posted.
    12-29-14 01:30 PM
    BlackBerry can't afford to act like this. They are in bad shape and need to take better care of their loyal customers. I'm very disappointed with the whole experience. It might be a single incident, but I doubt it.
    Thats why I dont get the Passport. I am afraid of the faulty units, and there are no spare parts on the web to change anything by myself :/
    look, we BB users have to change by ourself keyboards(Q10), screens etc :/
    But I stay with BlackBerry (Q10). I need that physical keyboard!
    12-29-14 02:00 PM
    I have posted my feelings about the BlackBerry's warranty policy many times on this forum. I have never had to do a warranty claim with them directly, but I really have an issue with the proof of purchase BS!!!

I have had used Nokia, Apple and Samsung devices and never had a issue with getting the device repaired as long as the serial number is in warranty and it's not reported stolen. They warranty covers the device and not the person or carrier who bought or sold it.

Passing the warranty onto the carriers and the resellers is pure BS and is NOT the way to do business, especially when your competitors are providing better support then you are. Someone up there in Waterloo better be making some serious changes, it doesn't take long for a few customers to have bad experiences, they spread the bad vibes and before you know it, your toast.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    Berry_Pink, Witmen, dejanh and 5 others like this.
    12-29-14 04:27 PM
    Sounds like bad training... have had several issue with BB in the last couple of years.... with the exception on one... I had no issue... what it comes down to is asking some questions before you purchase.... you cannot assume what the warranty or return policy is... as it varies from vendor to vendor...... heck I had a bad Playbook picked up on a Friday... sent to the US.. and back to me by the following Thursday... all arranged through BB directly..... it is not unusual to see these posts but you cannot judge customer service by individual stories... In the one time I had a similar issue... I simply escalated the call to a supervisor and then a manager... Unless your info is in their system ... you do not exist... most call centre reps are not interested in helping... they just want you off the phone... found this to be the case with many vendors these days... a sad statement all the way around with what passes for customer service..... would be interesting to have a thread or poll as to what the average users experience was when dealing with BB... probably a better measure of customer service than the lone horror stories we have been accustomed to.....
    bbvj likes this.
    12-29-14 04:41 PM
    If my Passport falls apart I'll buy another. If the 2nd one fell apart I'd switch over to Classic. The entire production run of an electronic device is not 100% flawless. It really sucks when happens though (I had a new motherboard go bad on an important day of training). Digital River is on my "no" list. Amazon's delivery & customer service is my favorite.
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    12-29-14 05:15 PM
47 12