What's so brilliant about the review people ? It's not a review even -it's too narrow and short for a review. It's more like some guy's opinion...to me it's not an opinion even since it's basically pointing out what's already been said and what is obvious! Passport is not a device for everyone, it's odd shaped and it's not like any other device.....well you don't say, Sir. With all due respect I see Samsung and iPhone all around in the Subway...now and then some HTC and Sony -so who cares who is what user....touch screen or qwerty user -the point is to have something to chose from and not just all the same phones. And with that RIM got it right so the Passport is a success for sure if you ask me <3
    mikegcox likes this.
    10-13-14 08:01 AM
    I love real keyboard. Nothing gives a better feeling than a real one. BlackBerry Passport is a great product. Someting really different. Like Apple done things years ago. Nowadays 'Think different ' is a BlackBerry tagline!

Posted from my Passport
    10-13-14 08:04 AM
    PS: aw and I forgot to mention -why a square screen won't make any sense lol ? Because the first mobile devices humans made were having rectangular form factor of the screen because the technology didn't let it be otherwise or for w/e reasons ? You know the old TV screens were mainly squarish....PC monitors used to be squarish too....if the phones were rectangular up until now it doesn't mean it won't make sense for a screen to be square -it's just something new and different so you put up the label "it doesn't make sense" for it ? If aliens come visit us you'll say it doesn't make sense that there's life on other planets than just Earth or what ? Technology is evolving people -everything can make sense nowadays. Don't live in the past and don't judge everything by the statistic of previous data you've got in your mind...
    10-13-14 08:04 AM
    What's so brilliant about the review people ? It's not a review even -it's too narrow and short for a review. It's more like some guy's opinion...to me it's not an opinion even since it's basically pointing out what's already been said and what is obvious! Passport is not a device for everyone, it's odd shaped and it's not like any other device.....well you don't say, Sir. With all due respect I see Samsung and iPhone all around in the Subway...now and then some HTC and Sony -so who cares who is what user....touch screen or qwerty user -the point is to have something to chose from and not just all the same phones. And with that RIM got it right so the Passport is a success for sure if you ask me <3
    As the title says, it's a review and impressions. I think the "impressions" piece is the important part in this case.
    10-13-14 08:05 AM
    This is the part of the review that I most like, although I also disagree with it. I think the square screen actually makes a lot of sense, but to understand the sense that it makes, you have to see it for real and use it. Then you get it. We don't read and write content the way we watch videos. Mobile devices have defaulted to the video-watching format, forcing us to read and write content in either letterbox or pillarbox mode. Who decided that was a good idea?

Until now, we never got to vote on it.
    Thanks.

When I say Passport makes no sense, I mean from the perspective of "conventional wisdom."

"Everyone" knows that watching video on a square screen isn't ideal. Yet, perhaps everyone doesn't understand that there is more to life than conventional content consumption.

It all works, but only if you change your point of view in many of the ways that you describe.

Watching most video is satisfactory, at least for me. It's basically like using an iPhone 4 in landscape.

Peevishlicious Crew: Infraction Appeals Advocate
    10-13-14 08:32 AM
    PS: aw and I forgot to mention -why a square screen won't make any sense lol ? Because the first mobile devices humans made were having rectangular form factor of the screen because the technology didn't let it be otherwise or for w/e reasons ? You know the old TV screens were mainly squarish....PC monitors used to be squarish too....if the phones were rectangular up until now it doesn't mean it won't make sense for a screen to be square -it's just something new and different so you put up the label "it doesn't make sense" for it ? If aliens come visit us you'll say it doesn't make sense that there's life on other planets than just Earth or what ? Technology is evolving people -everything can make sense nowadays. Don't live in the past and don't judge everything by the statistic of previous data you've got in your mind...
    You think a square screen is the best shape to watch You Tube videos?

Passport is not about videos. To me, that's the point.

10-13-14 08:35 AM
    Watching most video is satisfactory, at least for me. It's basically like using an iPhone 4 in landscape.
    Same here. In fact, using FastTube, I find the zoom/crop button almost always gives me a better view. I'm not really seeking panorama effect on a handheld screen.
    10-13-14 08:46 AM
    You think a square screen is the best shape to watch You Tube videos?

Passport is not about videos. To me, that's the point.

Well I never really mentioned YouTube or watching videos man...just read my comment carefully -it's about what people call "makes no sense" and what it actually is....

As for YouTube it's a valid point you bring...I used to have Note2....now I'm using Q10 so indeed YouTube videos are not as cool to watch but that's just because the screen is too small...I can imagine I won't have any problems with the Passport screen form-factor when I watch youtube....still the phone has it's own niche in the market so it's not supposed to be a Media phone -it's more of a business phone which delivers an 8/10 Meda preview options if you ask me (YouTube video specific) whereas a Note4 might be 10/10 in that department yet it'll lack much more in terms of other things if you ask me. You're going into another topic here -each form factor provides different things. I'm not saying square is the best...I'm just saying it shouldn't be "making no sense" as a form factor as said in the OP's first comment.
    10-13-14 08:59 AM
    This is the part of the review that I most like, although I also disagree with it. I think the square screen actually makes a lot of sense, but to understand the sense that it makes, you have to see it for real and use it. Then you get it. We don't read and write content the way we watch videos. Mobile devices have defaulted to the video-watching format, forcing us to read and write content in either letterbox or pillarbox mode. Who decided that was a good idea?

Until now, we never got to vote on it.
    I agree. This big square factor makes TOO much sense.

Better for writing, reading, pictures, surfing, etc. The odd time when I need to watch a vid clip for quick reference the big factor is great. On my Q10 it sucked, but this size is perfect. I hated my Z30 for being stuck with 16:9 ratio. It limited my experience with everything I do on my phone.

Maybe 16:9 is ideal for gaming if you are into that sh!t and the idea/thought of watching movies on phone makes me laugh.
    10-13-14 09:12 AM
    Well I never really mentioned YouTube or watching videos man...just read my comment carefully -it's about what people call "makes no sense" and what it actually is....

As for YouTube it's a valid point you bring...I used to have Note2....now I'm using Q10 so indeed YouTube videos are not as cool to watch but that's just because the screen is too small...I can imagine I won't have any problems with the Passport screen form-factor when I watch youtube....still the phone has it's own niche in the market so it's not supposed to be a Media phone -it's more of a business phone which delivers an 8/10 Meda preview options if you ask me (YouTube video specific) whereas a Note4 might be 10/10 in that department yet it'll lack much more in terms of other things if you ask me. You're going into another topic here -each form factor provides different things. I'm not saying square is the best...I'm just saying it shouldn't be "making no sense" as a form factor as said in the OP's first comment.
    I still think it makes no sense! It makes no sense if an iPhone is your standard. Again, that's part of the point. It does not fit neatly within everyone's expectation of what a phone should be.

10-13-14 09:16 AM

I wonder how many of us actually sit through an entire clip in youtube. For me, I generally never watch the whole clip if the clip is longer than a minute. Maybe I lack the ability to stay focused but I wonder do people really really need 16:9 screen for watching 30 second clips?

Some may argue, man... you can't watch movies on that square screen, it is not optimized for it. Yes it is true, but I would much rather watch a movie on a bigger screen anyway. Holding a phone for 2 hours for a movie huts my neck and hands.

People really should think hard what they used their phone for. Most of them will say, texting, twitter, e-mail, and phone calls first, then watching youtube, browse etc. Why people needs to be so affixed with the 16:9 form factor is beyond me, especially the phone they are using is not optimized for the purpose the people are using their majority of phone for.
    10-13-14 09:17 AM
    The new form factor is fantastic. Would never see my self back with a 16:9 phone. My wife has a standard phone and wanted to use mine to look at her Instagram because of the large wide screen. As she said...'it looks better on yours'

Posted with my awesome Blackberry Passport
    10-13-14 09:27 AM
    OP thanks for adding to my frustration of having to wait! There I was quietly waiting patiently and now you do this Come on BlackBerry! Get some stock out there!
    10-13-14 09:37 AM
    I believe the most complete device for all would be an ALL TOUCH PASSPORT!!!
    10-13-14 09:38 AM
    I believe the most complete device for all would be an ALL TOUCH PASSPORT!!!
    Noooooooooooooooooooooo

The Passport will get BlackBerry taken seriously again by business users, don't blow the new found credibility and leave the full touch to Apple and Android.
    10-13-14 09:43 AM
    Noooooooooooooooooooooo

The Passport will get BlackBerry taken seriously again by business users, don't blow the new found credibility and leave the full touch to Apple and Android.
    Lol

New school Business people would Love it. Typing on a virtual keyboard is just as nice and what the next gen is used to. I miss my Z30 keyboard...
    10-13-14 09:53 AM
    Lol

New school Business people would Love it. Typing on a virtual keyboard is just as nice and what the next gen is used to. I miss my Z30 keyboard...
    I wouldn't call what they do "typing". More like doodling on top of an image of a keyboard...

But yeah, actually I would be happy with a user selectable virtual keyboard on the current Passport. For an "extra stealth mode" typing.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 09:56 AM
    For OP and the guys who have got their Passport in days, how do you feel about your typing speed now on Passport?

What does it appeal to you the most now? Being different or being productive?

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154
    10-13-14 12:45 PM
    For OP and the guys who have got their Passport in days, how do you feel about your typing speed now on Passport?

The accuracy is better on BlackBerry Passport. But the typing speed is certainly faster on my Z30. That's for me. The typing assistance is very great on the BlackBerry virtual keyboard. But I've been using it for only 2 days. So who knows. I find it easier to correct or edit text.
    10-13-14 01:30 PM

I think it's both, I can only type so fast and I have owned all four devices and this Passport it unreal. Loving the big screen, keyboard is fantastic.

Official pain in the **** of the peevishlicious crew.
    Carjackd likes this.
    10-13-14 01:38 PM
    The accuracy is better on BlackBerry Passport. But the typing speed is certainly faster on my Z30. That's for me. The typing assistance is very great on the BlackBerry virtual keyboard. But I've been using it for only 2 days. So who knows. I find it easier to correct or edit text.
    What good is speed without accuracy? I can type as fast as I want on my Z10 if accuracy doesn't matter.

"Official skunk tamer of the Peevishlicious Crew"

Posted via CrackBerry App
    10-13-14 02:26 PM
    Hey stay on topic, this isn't about the Z10

Carjackd and LP_Rigg like this.
    10-13-14 02:27 PM
    Is this national don't wear a bra day?

Posted via CrackBerry App
    10-13-14 02:29 PM
    Yes, and I think there is someone celebrating it on his birthday.

10-13-14 02:43 PM
    I would say that, compared to my Z30, the rate at which I press each key is slower. However I have to delete, go back and correct much less with the Passport,.. so in the end it ends up being about as fast. (keep in mind that I'm the type of person that re-reads his posts on CrackBerry, and goes back to edit the typos.... so if you don't care about typos,.. then you may see less value in this)

Now, if I was someone that used a wide variety of specialized words (medical drug names, custom part names, etc),.. I can see the Passport easily out shining the Z30.

I don't really get to show off my device that much, so the fact that it's different just for being different means little to me. I like the screen, and keyboard scrolling, the improved battery life and most of all the seemingly much improved reception.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 03:36 PM
72 123