Amoled on a Z10?
    10-03-14 05:40 AM
    Great review. Detailed, fair, great photos. Give this man a job reviewing products.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 05:49 AM
    Thanks for this superb review!
    10-03-14 06:05 AM
    Amoled on a Z10?
    He meant Z30... pass

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    10-03-14 06:06 AM
    Thanks for a balanced review and for your opinions OP, I've seen you on other threads trying to research it before making the jump. Out of interest, where did you get it from in the UK? .

I am interested in your comments on the camera as I don't think I've seen any reviews on this area at all - it almost seems as though it's being ignored. Have you used an iPhone 5s before and if so, can you say how you think the PP compares please? I use my camera a lot and to me it is an important consideration.

Thanks
    I got from Expansys UK, they can ship a tax free if you have a company, so I got it cheaper.

Yes I used an Iphone 5s. The camera takes nice pictures, is not the market leader in image quality, but is well mixed between the high end competition (exept things like lumia 1020). I takes images pretty much as crisp as a GS5 samsung, but it's better in low light, with less noise than a samsung
    I didn't take pictures side by side with the Iphone 5s so can't comment much on that, but i've seen, and you can see around the web plenty of comparisons with the LG G3 that has the same camera as the Passport. If there's a complaint about the camera, is that in some shots, the lens seems to gather some glare that washes out the image like you can see on this picture:

LG G3 is bottom, you can see it's washed out a bit
    My Passport Review [HQ Pictures]-camera-comparison-g3-s5-5.jpg

It only happens sometimes, when it has a strong source of light at a certain angle with the lens. Other than that, the camera is very good, and low light pictures are very strong
    It probably will be ahead and behind the iphone 5s in different areas, Iphones always hade very balanced cameras
    10-03-14 07:04 AM
    He meant Z30... pass

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    Yeah I meant Z30, Edited, It was 3am already here... sorry
    10-03-14 07:05 AM
    What a very well written review! I agree that given the width single-handed use is surprisingly easier than you could expect.
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    10-03-14 08:22 AM
    What a very well written review! I agree that given the width single-handed use is surprisingly easier than you could expect.
    Thank you. It's a lot more usable one handed than expected right?
    10-03-14 05:46 PM
    Yea but how is the 4k video?

10-03-14 05:51 PM
    Obrigado Joao pelo Review!! Deves ser o primeiro tuga com um Passport.

Parabens pela compra

PS. Estou cheio de inveja!

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 06:10 PM
    Yea but how is the 4k video?

No 4K option yet... the best is 1080p at 60fps. If you want my advice, I wouldn't want any 4K from a phone for these reasons:
    -Files are much bigger, wich means more memory use, more strain in the processor, more upload/download time
    -I don't think anybody would take a video recorded from a phone that seriously that want to watch it on a TV or something, 95% of the videos are going to be upload on social feeds or youtube that do a crazy ammount of compression, ruinning the quality of the video.
    -4K in a tiny sensor like this can't be very good, I don't believe a phone's sensor can handle high bitrates that 4K video needs, wich might lead to a lot artifacts

But I'll wait to see. Cheers
    10-03-14 06:14 PM
    Joao, wondering how people in Portugal reacted to the Passport?

Posted via CB10
    Obrigado Joao pelo Review!! Deves ser o primeiro tuga com um Passport.

Parabens pela compra

PS. Estou cheio de inveja!

Posted via CB10
    Obrigado, devo mesmo ser dos primeiros, recomendo (Thanks, I must be the firt to have in Portugal, recomended)
    Very interested hands-on review and nice pictures.
    I appreciated the part on the screen and KB. I was able to play with a Passport at a store but was frustrated by the punctuation signs being (or not being) on the virtual row. The details you provided about the swipe down trick to remap the KB with the signs are helpful.

Posted via CB10 from Z30
    10-03-14 06:22 PM
    No 4K option yet... the best is 1080p at 60fps. If you want my advice, I wouldn't want any 4K from a phone for these reasons:
    -Files are much bigger, wich means more memory use, more strain in the processor, more upload/download time
    -I don't think anybody would take a video recorded from a phone that seriously that want to watch it on a TV or something, 95% of the videos are going to be upload on social feeds or youtube that do a crazy ammount of compression, ruinning the quality of the video.
    -4K in a tiny sensor like this can't be very good, I don't believe a phone's sensor can handle high bitrates that 4K video needs, wich might lead to a lot artifacts

But I'll wait to see. Cheers
    Yea...just a rehash from an earlier exchange we had about this where I was positioning myself as favorable to the reported spec of 4k where you were clearly not, for understood reasons.

I privately agreed with you early on but did not want to concede the debate, my earlier post was just a gesture of acknowledgement to that fact.

Nice review, obviously took some time and will be of benefit for many.

Thanks
    10-03-14 06:37 PM
    Yea...just a rehash from an earlier exchange we had about this where I was positioning myself as favorable to the reported spec of 4k where you were clearly not, for understood reasons.

I privately agreed with you early on but did not want to concede the debate, my earlier post was just a gesture of acknowledgement to that fact.

Nice review, obviously took some time and will be of benefit for many.

Thanks
    No problem mate

I do videography for a living, so I guess I might be too hard on the consumer devices, so take with a grain of salt what I say about Image quality
    10-03-14 06:52 PM
    Joao, wondering how people in Portugal reacted to the Passport?

Posted via CB10
    I only had for 3 days, and to be honest I didn't show the phone around much yet, has been in my pocket... My friends saw it, were very impressed with it, they were impressed with build quality, and how "business" it looks. Their comments are like "this is a real businessman phone, very cool".
    digitalman101 likes this.
    10-03-14 06:54 PM
    No problem mate

I do videography for a living, so I guess I might be too hard on the consumer devices, so take with a grain of salt what I say about Image quality
    I understand, in comparison between the two.....well, there are just none to be had.

I have been exposed to broadcast standards through my brother who is a senior editor for a national sports channel..I get it. He talks of Red cameras when I talk of cellphone vids looking great. :facepalm:

My argument...if I may rehash for a moment, was just that "specs" mean so much in the consumer world. Terms like "Retna" are often sold and widely accepted by the mass public with little true intrinsic value so I was happy to see a purported 4k ability from the PP. If not for true ability but for at least the sense of it pushing the envelope and value adding to the brand.
    /end rehash
    10-03-14 07:34 PM
    great write up ................love mine too
    10-04-14 01:16 AM
    great write up ................love mine too
    Thanks mate
    10-04-14 12:36 PM
    Appreciate your feedback. You have explained every aspect in detail. I want to get a Passport as well and here in Pakistan it cost for 1Lac, 11 Thousand. Almost $900!

Sent from my Q10SQN100-5/10.2.1.3247
    Is it available in Pakistan?

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 06:17 PM
46 12