Ok, I paid and waited a short time for the delivery of my Passport.

It's here!
    I open the shipping box and there she is with the receipt and packaging.
    I look at the Passport box and the top has the remains of a sticker which was once there.
    I look at the sides of the Passport box and the 'scotch tape' type tape which holds the top of the box to the bottom is there.
    But wait, there are ....two? One over top another. Is that the bother half of the tape that the top part sticks to or....is that a cut, previously cut, one underneath?

It is a previously cut one. Retaped over. t's not a straight cut, but a curved cut.
    Did I not pay for a new Passport?
    Is that how there appeared some Passports in the shop blackberry store?
    Those returned and restocked and deemed resaleable ?

I don't even want to open the box. Feeling a bit disappointed.
    Last edited by GeoK; 11-05-14 at 02:47 PM.
    11-05-14 01:26 PM
    I saw another post a few weeks ago by someone that had a similar situation. Not sure what they ended up doing.
    11-05-14 01:31 PM
    Let us know as you find out more - I would be very disappointed if they were selling refurbished ones as "new".

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 01:33 PM
    Where did you order it from?

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 01:35 PM
    I ordered my Passport from: shop blackberry
    BlackBerry US Online Store - BlackBerry Passport - Black

Should I even open the box?
    11-05-14 01:39 PM
    Refurbished? Not likely. Possibly returned and restocked but certainly not refurbished.
    11-05-14 01:41 PM
    Refurbished? Not likely. Possibly returned and restocked but certainly not refurbished.
    Well technically, if they even so much as have to wipe down the screen for smudges, it has been "refurbished".

They likely also do a security wipe and/or factory reset on it.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 01:52 PM
    If it's from Shop BlackBerry, just return it and order another one.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 01:52 PM
    Open box, yes.

A refurb, I doubt.

Send it back as it was open box.
    jojo beaconsfield and tigrute like this.
    11-05-14 01:59 PM
    Maybe opened by Canada Customs or did it not come this far North?

Rick Pringle, Z30 on CB.10
    telsaints and FSeverino like this.
    11-05-14 02:17 PM
    Sounds shady. My Passport from Amazon came in a beat up box and the protective film on the Passport looked reapplied. I'd keep it if it weren't for a defect in the handset. Replacement on the way. Hopefully brand new from the factory.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 02:19 PM
    If it was inspected by customs it should have a sticker that said it was inspected.

Posted via CB10
    dejanh likes this.
    11-05-14 02:23 PM
    my second Passport coming from Amazon.de had a similar box. I noticed it right before I wanted to cut those seals. There were fresh seals taped over previously opened ones. I wasn't amused to say the least, but still had a look. The device itself had all the required factory installed protectors installed, the box had all accessories sorted the way it should be, none of them were ever opened or obviously moved. The phone itself also had no signs of any use. I finally decided to keep it, sending back the second unit just to wait another two to three weeks to get another device (and risking getting a faulty unit again!) didn't seem like the way I wanted to go.

Posted via CB10
    GeoK likes this.
    11-05-14 02:29 PM
    Thanks, that's what I meant. and edited on my post.
    11-05-14 02:43 PM
    Honestly with the amount of flawed devices that seem to be out there, I would open it and see if it has any issues. If it doesn't I would just keep it, otherwise you do have the 30 day return policy.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 02:53 PM
    It could be as simple as opening the box to put in appropriate accessories or manuals for your region if the device was originally destined for another region of the world.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 03:01 PM
    my second Passport coming from Amazon.de had a similar box. I noticed it right before I wanted to cut those seals. There were fresh seals taped over previously opened ones. I wasn't amused to say the least, but still had a look. The device itself had all the required factory installed protectors installed, the box had all accessories sorted the way it should be, none of them were ever opened or obviously moved. The phone itself also had no signs of any use. I finally decided to keep it, sending back the second unit just to wait another two to three weeks to get another device (and risking getting a faulty unit again!) didn't seem like the way I wanted to go.

Posted via CB10
    So far....I can echo what Taigatrommel said above. "I wasn't amused to say the least, but still had a look. The device itself had all the required factory installed protectors installed, the box had all accessories sorted the way it should be, none of them were ever opened or obviously moved. The phone itself also had no signs of any use."
    let's set it up.

Going through the phone set up, BB ID entered.
    Use link or not?
    11-05-14 03:01 PM
    What if they heard about the defects and are pro-actively opening up boxes and testing to make sure everything works prior to shipping out?
    11-05-14 03:25 PM
    That would truly suck if they're shipping out opened or returned phones out as brand new. I'd be pis*ed right off and you would think that would be against the law wouldn't you? I mean you can't sell something as brand new when it's been used even for 1 second. If you buy a car the minute the registration papers are transferred they can't sell the car as brand new anymore even though you never even drove it off the lot.
    11-05-14 04:25 PM
    Thanks to u. i just realized something. it doesnt say the condition of the phones bought from the site. just says
    In Stock
    BlackBerry Passport - Black

Regular:$699.00
    NOW: $599.00

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!
    11-05-14 05:36 PM
    Is this a carrier phone or an unlocked? Carriers will open them to put in sim cards and reseal them. Doesn't mean it's used.
    11-05-14 06:53 PM
    Ok, I paid and waited a short time for the delivery of my Passport.

It's here!
    I open the shipping box and there she is with the receipt and packaging.
    I look at the Passport box and the top has the remains of a sticker which was once there.
    I look at the sides of the Passport box and the 'scotch tape' type tape which holds the top of the box to the bottom is there.
    But wait, there are ....two? One over top another. Is that the bother half of the tape that the top part sticks to or....is that a cut, previously cut, one underneath?

It is a previously cut one. Retaped over. t's not a straight cut, but a curved cut.
    Did I not pay for a new Passport?
    Is that how there appeared some Passports in the shop blackberry store?
    Those returned and restocked and deemed resaleable ?

I don't even want to open the box. Feeling a bit disappointed.
    They probably opened it to update the software. Look on the side to see if there is a sticker that mentions the PIN and the OS version. Remove that sticker, you'll see the previous OS.

BTW, its illegal to sell refurbished as new. Well, its illegal here in Canada... not sure where you're from. I don't think BB would take that risk
    11-05-14 07:06 PM
    There is something to be said about being the first to open the box...and know it.

As an early adopter this is a factor, frankly I just love the smell of electronics fresh out of the box. That impeccable clean never been touched clean look. The feeling of driving a factory car off the lot.

Regardless of history of the device, I want only one seal (the proof that I am the first) when opening a package if I paid for a new in box purchase.

Yes it is a little 1st world demanding BS but I truly value the experience...

That being said I also enjoy the unimpeachable value of a true old original, unmolested artifact of history. Not unlike a beautiful old 1954 Buick I have that has stood the test of time without modification or deviation from the condition of the dealership showroom.

These opinions may seem non sequitur in nature but it's how I roll....
    Last edited by stealthbob; 11-05-14 at 09:02 PM.
    11-05-14 08:28 PM
    Thanks for all the input and info.

Crackberry people are the best!!
    11-05-14 08:35 PM
    Exactly the same thing happened to me... I'm in Toronto and I don't think it was opened by Canada Customs because the second tape was exactly on top of the old tape. I took pictures of the box/seal before I opened it though. I also saw slight marks (not scratches) which may have been from a hard case. With some spit and rub, it came off.

I ordered my PP on Oct. 17.. shipping date for backordered phones, I was told by DR was Nov. 4 but I received mine on October 30th. So definitely an open box!!! But it was hard to resist as I waited weeks before I could even order it.
    11-05-14 08:44 PM
44 12