So I've had my passport for several weeks now. I thought I'd post a follow up review of what my experiences have been like. I bought the first iPhone the day that it went on sale, and I had continued with the iPhone ever since (my last one being the 4s). But with a mac computer, an iPad, and an iPhone, I didn't like how wed I was to the apple ecosystem, and thought it was time for a change.

Here's the reader's digest version of my review. I've had had some real headaches and annoyances with my new phone, it hasn't been as smooth a transition as I had hoped, and yet I would still say it is definitely the best phone i've ever owned. I'll recount the bad, then describe the amazing.

I would also note that many of my frustrations have found solutions...for example when I first got the passport it would drop the wireless connection where I work after about 2-3 minutes of use (and would never reestablish it). That problem largely went away with the last OTA OS update (the connection still occasionally drops but it works most of the time). I also had a confounding problem when my picture password locked me out and the phone refused to accept my alphanumeric password. A solution to that dilemma was kindly offered by the good folk here at crackberry. .

Still unresolved is the bizarre problem that apparently one of my contacts can't be edited. I can't delete her old (no longer valid) phone number or enter her new one, can't change her ringtone, etc....the save button simply doesn't work and changes are undone as soon as I exit the edit contact screen. That's incredibly annoying and no solution has yet presented itself.

Also annoying...many things in the hub won't mark as read when I read them. It seems random, but frequently when I read something in the hub and then go back to the hub it still shows as unread. Reading it a second time always seems to work though. It's annoying to have to read so many things twice. Weird bug eh? It definitely annoys.

Also, Blackberry link is whack for me. It doesn't synch my iTunes library properly (it randomly syncs some but not all songs in the playlists, and often duplicates songs already on the phone, etc...) At some point I think I'll just delete everything and copy the music folders over manually.

Also, backups with BBLink take like 6 hours. No joke! My iPhone took like 5-10 minutes to do a full backup. That's just crazy. And Frustrating... Is that normal?

So that's the bad, the annoying....with all that, why do I say this is still the best phone I've ever owned?

1) The screen. When I decided to take the plunge and get the blackberry I can admit that I was dubious about the advantages of "working wide." Now I would HATE having to go back to a candybar style phone. The square screen is so superior for communications and the web (what I use my phone for 80+ % of the time). And the screen is so gorgeous! Crisp, bright, clear....it's beautiful!

2) The keyboard: The scrolling/cursor feature is amazing. Btw...if you have trouble getting the cursor to come up, try lightly tapping only a single letter on the keyboard (any one will work). I originally was just slapping my thumb over the whole keyboard willy nilly and the cursor would rarely come up the first time...once I figured out how to get it...well it's awesome!

3) The battery of course. My iPhone 4s was always drained significantly at the end of my work day, and if I forgot to charge it at night well it was toast the next day. I can easily get 1.5 to 2 days out of a charge on my passport. That really does give a lot of peace of mind. I never worry about running out of juice or curtail the use of my phone because of that.

4) The hub. Even with the aforementioned annoying quirk, the hub is just so bloody elegant and efficient. I use facebook chat, texting, have multiple email accounts, etc... It saves me so much time to have them all integrated together. It's just a brilliant design.

5) What app gap? I have more apps than I ever had on my iPhone. Yes I miss a few games that I loved on my iPhone, but I have a ton of other apps and games to choose from. Other people's mileage may vary, but I find the BB10 app situation to be more than sufficient for my needs. Really to me this is a non issue (and I don't even have SNAP installed).

6) Blackberry Assistant. In my experience, it is equal to or superior to SIRI in every way. When I first started researching the passport, most of the reviews said that it was unusably slow in processing and retrieving results. Maybe blackberry has improved the back end since then, but I've found it to be very fast. It just works for me.

7) It's I never imagined myself taking to the physical keyboard so well, but I love the keyboard. I fully expect my next phone to be the passport 2.

In short, the passport makes me more productive and honestly, it's just more fun to use! I have hope that some of the remaining quirks and issues that I have will be fixed or at least ameliorated by the forthcoming OS update. But even though it's not a perfect phone, it's still an amazing phone. If I had to make the choice again (passport or iPhone 6+) I'd still pick the passport, no doubt. No phone is perfect, but the passport meets my needs and I have really enjoyed having it.

P.S. Just for fun, I plugged in the headphones and fired up the radio app as I sat down to write this. I had never done that before. It's really cool and works fantastically! Who needs pandora? (If you do need it, don't worry, it's available in the amazon app store .

P.P.S. Blackberry Blend is freakin' amazing! I use it all the time.
    01-12-15 12:15 AM
    Quite the list of problems...I have had none of those...I had some intermittent reboots but that has stopped completely. Totally stable and now no issues whatsoever. Friggin loving my Passport now. My link back up took like two minutes...maybe reinstall link?

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 12:21 AM
    I also have the HUB issue on my Z30, I clicked mark unread and ho back and have to do it again. Anyone have a solution?

Posted via CB Z30
    01-12-15 12:23 AM
    Great summary, thanks for posting!

Did your usage habits change with the passport?

It seems to me that I do more emailing, texting with the pp then I used to do before (touchscreen only).

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 12:24 AM
    I tried reinstalling link (a good idea but it didn't seem to help any. One other issue I forgot to mention, the advanced interactions (lift to wake, etc...) don't work at all despite the sensors apparently all checking out in the diagnostic app. I've had a lot of really weird quirky issues. I've been really tempted just to do a factory reset of the phone and start from scratch. We're supposed to get the big OS update in a few weeks, If that doesn't fix things I think I'll try the wipe the phone and start from scratch option. I really suspect that if I did that a lot of my issues might go away. I'm hoping that I won't have to use the nuclear option, but it's available if the update doesn't fix things.

I will say this, even with all the quirks and annoyances I mentioned I still am very happy with this phone.
    01-12-15 12:29 AM
    Try to reload your software and see if it helps. Might solve some of the software issues.
    Glad you are enjoying your phone

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    01-12-15 12:31 AM
    oh yes, my usage habits definitely have changed. I RARELY used my iPhone for email (and then only for VERY brief messages). I hated typing on it. I have no problems composing long emails on the passport. I wouldn't even think of editing a word document on the iPhone, but I've done so on the passport and it was easy as could be. The passport has definitely made me much more productive.
    01-12-15 12:34 AM
    Good to hear about your usage experience changes!

Me too, I notice that I respond differently.

On my android phone, I tend to read, but not answer really. Maybe confirm, with short messages. On the BlackBerry passport, I write complete thoughts.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 05:55 AM