Tonight, I logged into my GMail account from my home computer using the Chrome browser. In the bottom right corner of the Gmail browser there is a "Details" button that shows details of my last account activity. Here is a snapshot of what I see:

Was my Gmail hacked on my Passport?-h5.jpg

So, I live in Arizona. The last time I visited California was 8 years ago, when I owned a BlackBerry Bold. I only know one person in California, and she never had access to my phone. However, I did give her my GMail e-mail address.

My question is, why does it show my location as California? How can I have logged in from California when I live in Arizona? I haven't been to California in 8 years? Was my BlackBerry and/or GMail hacked???

10-10-15 01:12 AM
    Your location is shown as the place where your Internet provider connects to the Internet. Mine in UK is shown as some twenty miles from where I live.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 01:18 AM
    What concerns me is that back on 08/03/15 Google sent me an email which stated that someone tried to login to my Gmail. Here is a snapshot of the image provided by Google:

Was my Gmail hacked on my Passport?-hk0.jpg

On 08/03/15, it says a login was attempted from 166.216.194.183 (California)

On 10/09/15, it says a login was attempted from 166.170.50.201 (also California, on today's date).

Doesn't this look odd to you though?
    10-10-15 01:54 AM
    In that case, then yes, I looked up my apparent location and it is where my ISP has its nearest facility to me.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 01:59 AM
    For sure - change Your password. Use strong method.

Wysłano z urządzenia BlackBerry Classic w sieci Orange.
    10-10-15 02:02 AM
    For sure - change Your password. Use strong method.
    I've already changed my password twice since 08/03/15. I'm going to change it one more time. If I see another California login that means she has a way to hack Google mail. Leaves me no choice but to create accounts that she does not know about.

However, did you see in my first image above that it says a BlackBerry Passport was used in California? The person who I know in California is only an Android user. This makes we wonder if the recent California logins are really connected to my Internet provider??? Hmmm....
    10-10-15 02:20 AM
    It is probably something related to the Google servers if you changed your password and still get the warning.

Outlook.com was sending similar emails some time last year and it was related to Microsoft making changes to their servers. The ip always traced back to Microsoft sites and cities.

Try a whois on the ip address and see if there is a Google office nearby.

Edit:

I ran a whois on the second ip and it traces to cingular, which I think is mobile.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by robsteve; 10-10-15 at 07:22 AM.
    10-10-15 07:06 AM
    It is just a glitch pointing to the nearest NSA office and happens sometimes when one of Google's friends forget to conceal their surveillance activity properly.
    ThaSwapMeetPimp likes this.
    10-10-15 07:36 AM
    I wouldn't say your phone was hacked, but your email, we'll that's a different story. Seems like the friend you think is doing this, knows you pretty well. They are either doing it to see what you are up to, or they want to mess with you.

Is it an ex? They can be mean when it's all said and done.

Side note, Cingular is a wireless company, but Att brought them out.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 08:30 AM
    Have you turned on two factor authentication?

If not, then I would, and click the 'log off all other sessions' option.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 08:35 AM
    Have you turned on two factor authentication?
    If not, then I would, and click the 'log off all other sessions' option.
    Yes, two factor authentication has been turned on since early August.

BTW, I have that GMail account registered on my BlackBerry Passport in System Settings->Accounts. This means that my Passport synchronizes emails with that account every 30 minutes. In my first image above it says there was recent activity on a Passport device and it shows a connection to California (CA). Maybe the synchronization occurs from a California server?
    10-10-15 03:02 PM
    I am seriously thinking about killing the gmail email and moving two personal emails to outlook 365 and paying for them. Less spam and less worry.
    10-10-15 03:10 PM
    It's normal.
    10-10-15 04:11 PM
    OP, set-up two factor authentication on your gmail account(s)
    https://www.google.com/landing/2step/

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.840
    10-10-15 06:44 PM
    Or maybe it is something as simple as your passport recently using a Wi-Fi network that happens to jump off in San Jose.
    10-10-15 07:21 PM
    I can't say what's causing it... but I think if it was hacked, it be pretty difficult for them to continue doing so since you are using 2-step verification already.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-10-15 08:33 PM
    Mine looks just like yours most of the time. It shows me accessing google from firefox and/or my device with IPs in the two states I frequent. Once in a while it shows me logged in from an IP in a state far away where I never go but always from a BlackBerry. I always look at where I was physically at the times that happens, and it always seems to be when I'm in an area with poor signal, possibly roaming. I really think it has to do with which carrier's network you're on. Example: all the time when it shows AZ you're probably on your home network; when it shows CA you're probably roaming on some other network's tower.
    10-10-15 10:42 PM
    I am seriously thinking about killing the gmail email and moving two personal emails to outlook 365 and paying for them. Less spam and less worry.
    Excellent idea - I did that with my business email account a year ago, and have been very happy. Only problem - I cannot login to my business MS ID directly when I start a Windows device. I still have to keep a personal MS account unless I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

ActiveSync with my Passport is flawless, I usually get emails on the Passport before the Windows Mail app on my Surface 3 gets them. In either case, the arrival is within a second of the send.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    10-11-15 01:55 PM
    Those pesky girlfriends dumped long ago come back to haunt... better this than a big belly, eh?

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 02:02 PM
    If your account was hacked.. you wouldn't have access to it anymore (don't be paranoid fella) this happens a lot... i logged in and it said recent logins was 80 miles away... but same isp

its still you. i understand your worried about breach of security, but your accounts are not hacked (if they was the hacker would of changed the info to stop you from logging in)

This is a common issue with 'THE ALL MIGHTY GOOGLE'

You're fine, now relax and get a coffee

CASE CLOSED.
    10-11-15 02:12 PM
    You've been summarily GOOGLED...
    10-11-15 02:15 PM
    It says Authorized Application. Not sure what apps you have on your phone, but I'm pretty sure a lot of them require data to be routed through their servers. So you use the app, data goes through company's servers in California, and then it shows your location as being in California.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you're fine. You should totally call out your friend and wreck your friendship over this though.
    10-11-15 03:52 PM
    I got a notification today saying that someone was trying to login to my yahoo account today- first time I've gotten message like that in 10+ years
    .....hmmmm

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 06:24 PM
    Excellent idea - I did that with my business email account a year ago, and have been very happy. Only problem - I cannot login to my business MS ID directly when I start a Windows device. I still have to keep a personal MS account unless I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

ActiveSync with my Passport is flawless, I usually get emails on the Passport before the Windows Mail app on my Surface 3 gets them. In either case, the arrival is within a second of the send.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    Office 365 Email on the Passport is a beautiful thing. Its as good as BIS ever was.
    10-11-15 09:04 PM