Hey guys,

I recently switch from the PRIV to the Passport SE. I've been bouncing around from phone to phone over the last few months, and reading what die-hard BB fans had to say about BBOS10 Really intrigued me, so I thought I would give it a try. Keep in mind I've used dozens of different Android and iOS phones over the years. So I'm very familiar with what they all have to offer.

Here are some initial thoughts:

This OS places the most focus on productivity and multitasking. Going to the home screen out of any app places that application and all your other running/recently used applications directly in front of you at your fingertips. iOS/Android require an additional button press once on the home screen.

The battery life is truly remarkable. For a smart phone, with notifications and push data always on to be able to last handily 2 days with moderate use and 3 days with light use is incredible. I know your milage may vary based on a number of factors and everyone's results will be different, but these are the kinds of numbers I'm seeing.

BB OS10 is really a joy to use. The interface is smooth. I love hub being always the farthest screen to the left. I like that some application when minimized on the home screen give you additional updated information. Everything seems very well thought out.

The only thing that I don't like is that Google Play Service is not native. I use the work-arounds provided by Cobalt and it works exactly as described in the thread and helps bridge the gap enough to where I can definitely live with it. Plus, there are a lot of good replacement products for Android apps in the Blackberry world store. Always worth going there to take a look first.

This phone definitely isn't for everyone. Some people want a solution right out of the box that just works. Other like to tinker or don't mind tinkering. I'm one of those people who like to tinker and don't mine patching, side-loading, and spending some time to get things the way I want it.

Anyway those are just my initial thoughts. But what I will say this to all the die-hard BB OS 10 fans out there is ... I get it.

Thanks!
    pomidor, acovey, yyz321 and 11 others like this.
    08-18-16 10:11 AM
    Thanks for sharing.
    08-18-16 10:21 AM
    Hello,

Great to hear you enjoyed your BB10 Experience.

I've been doing this, but in reverse. I just bought the DTEK50 to see how I could work with it, and while my initial impressions were pretty positive, the limitations of it are starting to sink in. Perhaps I shouldn't say limitations of it, but rather the advantages of BB10.

First...I'm simply not finding many Android Apps that I need...at all. They are largely toys (which is fine), but the actual tools...BB10 provides them for me...and better. Granted, I'm not an Android Expert user, so I'm sure others can get more out of it than I can.

However, Android remains a fairly low functioning app switcher, and little else, whereas BB10 is an OS that is designed to actually FLOW. It isn't a matter of what I can or can't do--it is the easy and natural manner in which I can do it.

I think many people, if they gave BB10 a chance would have a similar experience that you do. No one really seems to deny it, so it is a matter of trading one thing for another. For me, a person with low need for Android Apps, it is a relatively easy choice.

While I am not sorry I got the DTEK50, it isn't likely to replace my Passport SE (until it fails). I do plan on using the DTEK50 as a secondary device.

If only Blackberry could manage to merge the capabilities of the two more effectively (as is theoretically possible). I've not personally spend the time to tinker with the Passport to get Google Play working, simply because I don't need it, but I know that would be a great selling feature for others.

KAM
    Jrox74 and Bobert_123 like this.
    08-18-16 10:30 AM
    Pretty good summation of the BlackBerry BB10 experience.

It really was a very innovative OS with a focus on business productivity. If it had been released in 2008 or 2009 I think there would be a nice three way race in the mobile platform wars....
    08-18-16 10:34 AM
    Pretty good summation of the BlackBerry BB10 experience.

It really was a very innovative OS with a focus on business productivity. If it had been released in 2008 or 2009 I think there would be a nice three way race in the mobile platform wars....
    I realize this is pure speculation, but what do you think about this:
    BlackBerry purchasing WebOS/Palm? Could they have run with that OS EARLIER with their own features built on top, and been in the running earlier (2009).

KAM
    08-18-16 10:39 AM
    Thanks for sharing.
    We may see BlackBerry 10 is fading out, slowly and painfully,but definitely.
    It is still great to see someone really in love with the OS.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    08-18-16 10:42 AM
    The purchase of webOS maybe would not have mattered much. Most everyone has stolen the good about webOS.

BB10 is not fading out. Give us a break!!!!! Is your computer fading out?
    08-18-16 10:53 AM
    BlackBerry OS 10 is for people who wants a hassle, seamless, professional, efficient, effective and productive mobile experience. For me in my opinion apps are not an issue. There are native apps in the BlackBerry store that are relevant to a productive mobile experience. The apps that iOS and Android offer are mostly for entertainment and fun, there are also apps that are a redundancy of what other apps can offer and some are not truely relevant and functional but rather will just compromise your security and your phones capacity.Efficiency wise they don't come close to what the BB10 OS can showcase.
    BlackBerry 10 OS is indeed fluid and amazing.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    08-18-16 11:03 AM
    Thanks for sharing! I am happy to read positive impression from a new BB10 user!

Posted via CB10
    BerrySoul likes this.
    08-18-16 11:19 AM
    Yes, the general user work-flow is incredibly well thought out. Every swipe up to go 'home' instantly gives you access to all your open apps. Makes it really easy to work in and out of apps quickly and effectively.

Google Launcher/Nexus phones have swipe right from the first home screen to bring up Google Now and Google deems is important information. But I feel as though Hub is just a more refined/professional iteration of this. And for me personally, the information in Hub is much more important than a game score or traffic home.
    rarsen likes this.
    08-18-16 11:32 AM
    I just love my two BB10 Os Passport SEs. Now I am waiting for the BB10 Passport II SE edition from Chen!

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 11:45 AM
    Here's another thing I just stumbled across that's great --- Native Phone app Visual Voicemail.

If I get an unlocked android phone, I always need to call to get my voicemail and if on an AT&T branded phone I need to use their VVM app.

Great built in feature.
    08-18-16 12:56 PM
    The purchase of webOS maybe would not have mattered much. Most everyone has stolen the good about webOS.
    Well, that seems to contradict the people who claim that BB10's problem was that it came too late. BBRY could have brought WebOS to the table several years earlier. And they wouldn't have needed to "steal" the features--they would have them designed into the system.

I love BB10's flow, but WebOS was there first and did it well. With a bit more development it could have been even better.

KAM
    08-18-16 12:59 PM
    I honestly don't know why bb10 did and still does get abuse...I've been using it since it was launched and can't imagine using anything else.. sure I'm used to it, but I equally embrace change and new technologies - I still prefer bb10 to any other platform..

I am of course loyal and therefore bias :-) so much so that I still use the playbook which, let's be honest is poor by today's standards

Posted via CB10 - 9900 -Playbook- Q10 - Passport SE (1) - Passport SE (2)
    08-18-16 02:10 PM
    I honestly don't know why bb10 did and still does get abuse
    IT people who specialized in Microsoft products used to be called 'bigots' because of their intolerance of anything non-Windows. I think the same attitude prevails among many of the more technical Android users. We may fairly call them 'bigots'.
    08-20-16 05:35 AM
    BBb10 Os for me until all my BlackBerry Passport SEs and Z30 die.

Posted via CB10
    bigjman, acovey and ratfinkstooley like this.
    08-21-16 11:50 PM
    BlackBerry OS 10 is for people who wants a hassle, seamless, professional, efficient, effective and productive mobile experience. For me in my opinion apps are not an issue. There are native apps in the BlackBerry store that are relevant to a productive mobile experience. The apps that iOS and Android offer are mostly for entertainment and fun, there are also apps that are a redundancy of what other apps can offer and some are not truely relevant and functional but rather will just compromise your security and your phones capacity.Efficiency wise they don't come close to what the BB10 OS can showcase.
    BlackBerry 10 OS is indeed fluid and amazing.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. That's what I think too. I use it for work every day, all day.
    08-23-16 09:47 AM
    @Jbarrack thanks for the feedback. The BB10 OS has got to be one of the best. My sentiments too.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-16 06:13 PM
    I agree as long as it was kept up to date. Love the way it worksn but alas, it isn't to be. Great os that died way too soon. I'd switch back if they started updating it again.

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    08-23-16 06:27 PM
    Thanks for the responses and reading my feedback.

In the last few weeks I have come to realize that there are some really great alternatives for android apps in BlackBerry world. I've deleted several android apps after finding better alternatives in the store. Most of the good ones are paid but you get a really good experience for the most part.

Overall, still loving this OS.

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    08-23-16 07:23 PM
    Thanks for the responses and reading my feedback.

In the last few weeks I have come to realize that there are some really great alternatives for android apps in BlackBerry world. I've deleted several android apps after finding better alternatives in the store. Most of the good ones are paid but you get a really good experience for the most part.

Overall, still loving this OS.

Posted via CB10
    I've used bb10 since it came out and although i've always had another device with Android on it, bb10 wins just for the fact that I'm so much faster on it. It really is more fluid. Set up your own shortcuts in the word substitution section under settings, language and input, prediction and correction. That will seriously make you fly.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    08-23-16 07:43 PM
    This probably would be better posted in the BB10 forum, since it's a review of the OS and not the Passport.
    08-23-16 09:58 PM