First off, I love the passport. But there are some short comings, for example, can't type one handed and the square screen is not the best for media consumption.
    Now what if blackberry created a phone that looked just like the passport, but, the physical keyboard was replaced by a virtual one, that incorporated sure press so it could precisely mimic how the physical keyboard works on the passport. That means all the shortcuts and keyboard swipes would be available.
    To solve the first shortcoming I mentioned, you have the keyboard resize and move to the left or right for one handed typing.
    Second shortcoming could be solved when you rotate the phone the keyboard disappears and the whole surface of the passport is a viewing area for media, webpages, spreadsheets or whatever you want. You would have to rotate back to bring the keyboard up to edit.
    Thoughts anyone?

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 08:26 PM
    Stormy thoughts!

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-06-15 03:43 PM
    Umm lol
    01-07-15 07:14 AM
    Should have titled it " what will blackberry come up with next". I was thinking that how blackberry is moving forward by getting back to their roots. I thought it would be funny if their next move was somehow incorporating sure press in the next gen.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 08:42 PM
    Not a bad idea actually,but the main benefit for me with PP is the keyboard as now it is,cos thats the only advantage for for me over Z30 i owned before it. A kind of slide mechanism for keyboard is what i could imagine,when needed just pull down from the back,so the screen would more fit media,like watching videos,images and we browsing.

Aquila non captat muscas
    01-07-15 08:59 PM
    I'm sure they'll do that one day when they are able to shrink the batteries down.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 12:24 PM
    I, for one, would be intrigued by this design. Interesting solution for the one handed typing.
    01-08-15 12:31 PM
    First off, I love the passport. But there are some short comings, for example, can't type one handed and the square screen is not the best for media consumption.
    Now what if blackberry created a phone that looked just like the passport, but, the physical keyboard was replaced by a virtual one, that incorporated sure press so it could precisely mimic how the physical keyboard works on the passport. That means all the shortcuts and keyboard swipes would be available.
    To solve the first shortcoming I mentioned, you have the keyboard resize and move to the left or right for one handed typing.
    Second shortcoming could be solved when you rotate the phone the keyboard disappears and the whole surface of the passport is a viewing area for media, webpages, spreadsheets or whatever you want. You would have to rotate back to bring the keyboard up to edit.
    Thoughts anyone?

Posted via CB10
    I think what you might be trying to describe is a new version of the Storm or a larger screen version of the Z30. Passport was never designed for heavy media consumption it was meant do work and either be bang out 40 -60 emails a day or do document editing that was the reason for the square screen and the physical keyboard. I do not know if BlackBerry will come out with another all touch device anytime soon they are marketing the whole physical keyboard very heavily. Also they have handed the FCC the paperwork for the Z3 to come to the USA so I am curious how they will be marketing that device it does have some older specs unless they have bumped up the specs on the US version.

Posting WIDE with CB10 on the Blackberry Passport
    01-08-15 06:37 PM
    I don't think what you call shortcomings are shortcomings at all. It wasn't designed to be super at media consumption or one handed typing. It's designed for the working professional to get more done, more quickly.

Surepress? Ugh..... talk about a shortcoming!
    01-08-15 06:54 PM
    Physical keyboard is the a kind of the trademark for BB,i love and need it for everyday,so BB has to to futher on the PP way and with big displays,cos Q10 and the Classic are great devices,but imo very uncomfy for webrowsing and media,way too small screens... dont know what BB will be pop up next time,but its worth a look imo what the BB users wish for,read our ideas and make some thoghts of it. What the OP described,other users in others threads are the evidence,that BB have got a future,aslong they listen and think with. A kind of Z30 with physical keyboard or something like that maybe...

Aquila non captat muscas
    01-08-15 07:42 PM
    I don't think what you call shortcomings are shortcomings at all. It wasn't designed to be super at media consumption or one handed typing. It's designed for the working professional to get more done, more quickly.

Surepress? Ugh..... talk about a shortcoming!
    I still think the passport is the best all around solution, even for media. For eg. it's the best of any phone for media when used in portrait mode. I for one don't like flipping back and forth between landscape and portrait. I also find zooming in on a video with FastTube great when I want to make a video more immersive.

But in the evolution of the smart phones I think the next big thing will be what blackberry is already doing, with the passport, which is blurring the line between keyboard and touchscreen.

I, for one, would like to see what it would be like if blackberry mapped surepress, only for a virtual keyboard area. This would allow you use the virtual keyboard the same way as the physical passport keyboard. Except you can make the virtual keyboard disappear for those ocassions when you do want to see even more of a spreadsheet, or video.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 07:24 PM