I'll give you another reason to get a Passport. It has absolutely the best audio output I have heard. Don't know what they did but damn Blackberry has upped their game.
    BBRYQ10 likes this.
    12-13-14 05:34 PM
    Take the plunge and learn the BB10 gestures and features--you won't regret it! But keep in mind that iMessage can screw with your text messages if you keep the same phone number.

From a Z30
    Not true. That only happens if you don't disconnect it.

The way to avoid SMS screwups with iMessage after discontinuing use is one of the two, the first is easiest:

1) With the device still in your possession and the SIM in it, go to settings. Turn FaceTime off. Turn iMessage off. Power device off, remove SIM. Your phone number is now disassociated.

At this point you can also chose to power device back on and turn FaceTime and iMessage back on and associate them with your Apple ID. This is what I did because I'm keeping my 4S. It becomes a wifi ipod touch essentially.

2) If you no longer have the device there is a website you can go to at Apple (new in the last several weeks) that once logging in with credentials you can break the phone number association.
    Xenolock likes this.
    12-13-14 05:45 PM
    i switched from android to a blackberry and i think the change was worth it i didn't really use apps so if you think you can sacrifice apps then you should consider switching plus i enjoy the qwerty keyboard on my blackberry it's far more accurate than a touchscreen keyboard you'll find on a ios device along with android devices etc
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-13-14 09:00 PM
    I owned a samsung Galaxy S3 and switched to a blackberry a couple of weeks ago and i'm satisfied with my current Blackberry. if you can sacrifice the apps that they feature on android and ios devices then it shouldn't be too big of a change in everyday phone usage plus the qwerty keyboard you'll find on some blackberry devices are far more accurate then your touchscreen keyboards you'll barely make any mistakes with a qwerty keyboard
    12-13-14 09:21 PM
    It doesn't matter if he's asking about BB10 OS questions or not because even if you are running the same OS build on a Z10/Z30/Q10 as a Passport user, the user experience is different because of the device. It doesn't matter, it will always be dependent upon the device used. So please take your negativity with whatever phone you have elsewhere. If he was asking solely about the BB10 OS, he would have created this thread in the OS sub-forum.

Now, let's keep this thread from derailing as some posters are clearly trying to do here...

Since this is THE BLACKBERRY PASSPORT SUB-FORUM, this thread should only have posts from people who actually own the Blackberry Passport.

All other posts are irrelevant and should be posted in their respective sub-forums; ie, Blackberry 10 OS questions in the BB10 OS sub-forum, Z30/Z10/Q10/all other non-Passport devices in their respective sub-forums.

Back to the main subject please: The OP is wondering whether or not switching from an iPhone to a Blackberry Passport will be difficult.
    Hilarious, I rest my case. One red herring after another. I stand by what I said and the OP took notice. They weren't set on switching to BlackBerry specifically, not necessarily even the Passport, but they expressed doubts about iOS, showed interest in BlackBerry, asked whether the BlackBerry experience would be better and to that end asked several questions about the BB10 software specifically that mattered to them. These I addressed from my perspective and so far you have done nothing to give your own opinion to even it out. The device choice doesn't have anything to do with the points I've made, and you misrepresenting the argument is not helping the OP at all.

Not true. That only happens if you don't disconnect it.

The way to avoid SMS screwups with iMessage after discontinuing use is one of the two, the first is easiest:

1) With the device still in your possession and the SIM in it, go to settings. Turn FaceTime off. Turn iMessage off. Power device off, remove SIM. Your phone number is now disassociated.

At this point you can also chose to power device back on and turn FaceTime and iMessage back on and associate them with your Apple ID. This is what I did because I'm keeping my 4S. It becomes a wifi ipod touch essentially.

2) If you no longer have the device there is a website you can go to at Apple (new in the last several weeks) that once logging in with credentials you can break the phone number association.
    Unfortunately, iMessage does continue to be a problem. I followed these steps too (I am well aware of this) and still my number was within the system for at least two more weeks. The web tool has so far seen mixed results as well. However, the issue can easily avoided: your contacts simply need to enable SMS as a fallback option when iMessages cannot be received by the recipient (the Messages app will automatically send an SMS in that case). Also, you can force the app to send an SMS instead by tapping and holding your finger on a specific message and selecting the option. The app will switch to SMS after that.
    12-14-14 11:49 AM
    Eitot brings up some very good issues, many of which Q10, Z10, and even some Z30 users have reported.

It is my observation that BlackBerry recognized this, and addressed those issues with the Passport. One of the main reasons Specs are needed for android devices are due to the open source nature of the software. Android apps suck up Ram and CPU power. By creating a runtime environment you emulate or simulate the experience, and it's no wonder that the Passport therefore came with 3gb of RAM and the latest stable Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU. BlackBerry in their app issues realized if they were going to truly support Android on their devices, they needed the hardware. Hardware the efficient BlackBerry QNX operating system never needed. Thats why Passport users will have a much better experience than Q10 or Z10 users. It also helps on my passport if I close off RAM intensive apps when trying to run Android apps. Noticeably.

That said some android apps don't like a partitioned runtime. They are built for a rooted access to the hardware. When you understand what most of those apps are doing in the background of your phone, you may appreciate that not being accessible for BlackBerry devices. For me, A short wait time is acceptable while the Android app realizes that it can't access my private data. You will notice a longer "lag" when you've encrypted your phone versus the same phone decrypted. I can understand why Android phone makers like Samsung are having such a hard time securing their devices.

Apple gets away with lower Specs and better benchmark results because they control their software better than the open sourced Android. But if you've been an Apple customer long enough, you know you only get that great experience and performance till the next update comes out, and it goes downhill from there. Then the weaker specs from Apple regrettably can't keep up with their own software and it's purely Apples own fault, or design.

Google Play apps will not work, as Eitot mentioned. I've managed. I use Googles Gmail and calendar service, which works well with BlackBerry's calendar and hub. Their is no need for those separate apps when the phone comes built with their own native equivalent in the OS. Even with Google drive, there are 3rd party apps that work well. I just go on the browser and access my Google drive from there. Like a desktop or Laptop.

As far as the HUB? Best communications tool ever. Users should remember it is a communications tool first, notification center second. You really just have to use it to see for yourself. Eitot may like iOS's notification center better, I do not. Hub connects my most essential communications and allows me to respond from the Hub, and then alerts me of android notifications. Perfect? Guess not if users like Eitot have a problem with it but it's the best communications tool I've ever seen and Blend only makes it better. Thats after years of iOS experience and Android as well. In fact I've never had a Notification center that allowed me to respond without opening the app first, that BlackBerry Hub is 50/50 depending on whether the app is native or not is still a vastly innovative leap forward.

Its been said before and I'll say it again. The devices are designed for different users, and you need to recognize which one you are.

 PassPosted via CB Chen 
    12-14-14 11:51 AM
    As far as the HUB? Best communications tool ever. Users should remember it is a communications tool first, notification center second. You really just have to use it to see for yourself. Eitot may like iOS's notification center better, I do not. Hub connects my most essential communications and allows me to respond from the Hub, and then alerts me of android notifications. Perfect? Guess not if users like Eitot have a problem with it but it's the best communications tool I've ever seen and Blend only makes it better. Thats after years of iOS experience and Android as well. In fact I've never had a Notification center that allowed me to respond without opening the app first, that BlackBerry Hub is 50/50 depending on whether the app is native or not is still a vastly innovative leap forward.
    I don't like Notification Center at all, just to clarify this. I like the Hub, it's a fantastic idea that I wish I had on iOS. But it's undeniable that it only supports BlackBerry's core apps (email, texts, phone calls), some of their own social-media apps like BBM, Facebook and LinkedIn, but few third-party apps (WhatsApp deserves to be mentioned). But it doesn't integrate Android apps to the same level (Skype, Viber, SnapChat, Telegram) and third-party Hub support has been around not that long, because the developer tools weren't there before (even now, the Hub support continues to cause issues with them too, e.g. Nemory's apps). iOS Notification Center and Android's notification tray have very sophisticated notifications management of their own, whereas Android apps and unsupported native apps on BlackBerry 10 have to do with a simple, generic notification under the notifications tab in the Hub.

The Hub in short: supported native apps = awesome, non-supported apps and Android apps = not that great.

The devices are designed for different users, and you need to recognize which one you are.
    That is absolutely true and the whole point why I made these elaborate posts. The OP had a pretty detailed set of questions that were specifically related to some iOS-specific functions that I, as a 'switcher' myself, found pretty disappointing on BlackBerry 10. That's why I felt compelled to give my opinion of them, to answer their questions.

As to the performance of these apps on the Passport, that's something I didn't touch upon at all and I'm very well aware the performance must be better on the Passport. But the Passport doesn't change how Android apps work on BlackBerry 10 and it is this functionality I addressed.
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-14-14 11:59 AM
    I don't like Notification Center at all, just to clarify this. I like the Hub, it's a fantastic idea that I wish I had on iOS. But it's undeniable that it only supports BlackBerry's core apps (email, texts, phone calls), some of their own social-media apps like BBM, Facebook and LinkedIn, but few third-party apps (WhatsApp deserves to be mentioned). But it doesn't integrate Android apps to the same level (Skype, Viber, SnapChat, Telegram) and third-party Hub support has been around not that long, because the developer tools weren't there before (even now, the Hub support continues to cause issues with them too, e.g. Nemory's apps). iOS Notification Center and Android's notification tray have very sophisticated notifications management of their own, whereas Android apps and unsupported native apps on BlackBerry 10 have to do with a simple, generic notification under the notifications tab in the Hub.

The Hub in short: supported native apps = awesome, non-supported apps and Android apps = not that great.

That is absolutely true and the whole point why I made these elaborate posts. The OP had a pretty detailed set of questions that were specifically related to some iOS-specific functions that I, as a 'switcher' myself, found pretty disappointing on BlackBerry 10. That's why I felt compelled to give my opinion of them, to answer their questions.
    I personally liked your posts and respect the accuracy behind them. You brought up some very good issues, albeit many of those issues are present among all platforms and not limited to BlackBerry alone. There was nothing you posted that was unclear about that.

And as for the hub, your biggest concern is that 3rd party apps should get their own tab versus a Notifications tab. A legitimate concern. I wish BlackBerry gets more DEVS working for them in the future, and the established DEV community starts taking BB10 seriously. I think a fix has to come from both directions.

For me seeing the notification and the mere fact you can open the notification and it takes you to where you Can respond is unprecedented in my expierience. Am I wrong, is there something better than the HUB out there? I could very well be. As for now I like the prioritization of how the Hub functions. But I don't use Viber, Whatsapp, or Snapchat for primary communications, and that tells you what kind of user I am. You have a legit concern for other types of users.

Your concern reflects that BlackBerry 10 is not a native Android experience, and that is legitimate. And for any user that's concerned by that, I would recommend they look towards an Android device as well.

My own experience is that I have the functionality I need and want, though I look forward to BlackBerry refining the APK experience. Few out there would say mission complete on that one.

 PassPosted via CB Chen 
    Attached Thumbnails Moving from iPhone to Blackberry?-img_20141214_130657.png  
    12-14-14 12:31 PM
    My solution is to use both. I use my Z30 as a business phone, and use it for messaging with clients specifically. It's also a backup for my iPhone 6 Plus, which drains battery quickly. I needed a particular iOS app for my business, and for me Android apps on my Z30 just don't perform as well as their iOS counterparts. Integration with the MacBook was also a reason my iPhone is my primary device. I cannot wait until official 10.3.1 comes. I would consider getting a Classic to replace my Z30. To each his/her own.

Posted via CB10 | VZW Z30 on at&t LTE
    12-14-14 12:47 PM
    I was a browser of CrackBerry until I saw this and felt the need to give back to the community. I was an iPhone-for-personal-use and Galaxy S4-for-work user till November this year, when I decided to merge them by switching to the Blackberry Passport. Just want to give some of my opinions here which may benefit both iPhone and Android switchers.

1. Cloud solutions. We use Google for business for mail, contact and calendar, which Passport handles just fine. For files, we use Dropbox for business but I also use OneDrive, both of which are native. I was an iCloud user once, but after a few months of continuously cleaning up my photostream to squeeze in the tiny 5Gb Apple give me, I decided enough is enough and switched to OneDrive. Works seamlessly for backing up files and photos for me, so I never look back.

2. Communications. Some other posters correctly mentioned that if your communication needs stay within email, sms, facebook, bbm, linkedin and whatsapp, you're going to love the Passport. That can't be more true. The Hub is great with these apps, and the physical keyboard and screen size just complement it perfectly. After about a week of learning, I now beat myself and all of my iphone/android friends at typing speed. In my business, time is money.

3. Apps: I own an iPad, so entertainment immediately goes there. I'm not the most organized person, certainly the least I know, but to me the phone is for communication, not for playing games or reading books. All the apps I need for communication and work is readily available on the BB Passport, and the screen size again is great for text, browsing, or quickly glancing at documents.

4. The OS. BB10 is way more stable than my S4 and on par with my iPhone 5s. I guess the good hardware makes it such a smooth experience. One month in, no lag or freeze. I gotta add that I don't mess around with the phone with leaks and whatnot, just like I did with the s4 or 5s. I certainly think that helps and I frankly don't have the time to play around with leaks anyway.

5. Battery. This battery blows both the s4 and the 5s out of the water and into the universe, and that is not an exaggeration. I send close to a hundred emails, an hour of calls and another hour for whatsapp, fb, linkedin and others, and I unplug at 8am. By bedtime 12am, the phone has about 35% battery left. Same intensity will kill by iPhone by 3pm and my s4 by 6pm.

6. Sacrifices. There are a few reset buttons to hit, honestly speaking. I really like FaceTime over cellular on the iPhone. Gotta say skype on BB10 hasn caught on yet, while I barely have any contacts on BBM to use video chat on it. I lose out on Hangout too, though I don't use it so often. I also haven't gotten used to the camera, which is weird even for an infrequent photographer like me. Random casual shots on iPhone is still best, I gotta say.

If you look to switch to a BB10 phone, then the BB Passport is THE phone. Forget Z10 or Q10 or Z30. If you need mobile camera, games, social apps like pinterest or snapchat, or just want a lot of apps at hand even when you don't use them, then maybe BB10 is not ready for that yet (not without porting at least). For me, I'm a practical 20-something who knows what I want and get them, which is why I'm settling with the BB Passport and my iPad Air, at least for the next couple of years.
    Xenolock likes this.
    12-14-14 02:40 PM
    Well, I'm sold. I will move out from the closed Apple ecosystem. It will be tough, but I really feel the need to move away. Thank you all for the amazing help!

I was also considering the Classic, yet the screen seems a bit small and the lower specs may not be a good idea in the long run. Passport seesm to be the perfect choice. I also considered the Galaxy S5/Note 4 for a while, yet it seems more of the same (as in iOS). The system stability is a major key for me, even though I've read here that some people are having problems with BB10, like double contacts entries, freezings, etc.

Hope the next OS update fixes this!
    Good luck - I am going to let my 4s die a natural death, but I won't be getting another one - the only Apples in my possession are either plucked from trees or Macbooks - but running 10.6.8 because it's a workhorse, that old Unix platform, and I'm fed up with Apple catering 'toys' when Jobs built his rep with workhorse computers. Re call quality - FYI - my 4s is on Sprint, the tower is maybe 1/4 mile away - the 9900 is on ATT, nearest tower is FIVE miles away - I need a good phone - am a writer and do lots of long-distance interviews. The BB 9900 outperforms the 4s coming and going - it is my primary workhorse, what I've learned in the CB vernacular is a "daily driver" - if the leaves don't faff with the signal from ATT tower next spring & summer, I'll be purchasing the Passport, But you are into social networking, the buzzers, bells and toys - that isn't really Blackberry's gig - so, forewarned is forearmed, Modularblur - we just want you to be happy with your BB - if you get the Passport, chances are it will be your dream device, but even then, the Passport and latest iPhone, it's the difference between, well, apples and blackberries!!!! It's all a question of individual taste.
    Good luck!!!
    Xenolock likes this.
    12-14-14 03:22 PM
    I am currently looking at a Q10 mostly because of the size and I can get it cheap. Of all the threads I have been reading many people agree that BB10 performs really well on low end hardware (Q10, Z10) and all updates continue to improve the user experience and speed of the OS. The time will come when Q10/Z10/Z30 will not be able to get the latest update due to hardware restrictions but that is in the distant future, especially if the Classic is a glorified Q10 with the same CPU/GPU.

I have an iPhone4S through my employer and a Lumia 635 for personal use (Galaxy S3 died). iOS and Android compliment each other very well and Windows Phone has some neat baked in features. The Lumia 635 made me I realized how many "core" apps I really need versus ones that you download because your friends tell you and after a few uses you never open the app again. I am not big into gaming either. The only feature that all Blackberry devices do not have is access to NFC payments (Apple Pay or Google Wallet or Softcard) or Google Hangouts (most of my geek friends are on it). There is TimmyMe app which allows for NFC payments, but that is the only option I see here living in the US. Regardless of these shortcomings I am still debating Android or BB10. I am having strong urges to go black and never go back.
    12-15-14 11:31 AM
    I went from an iPhone 6 Plus to a Blackberry Passport and I am very satisfied. All of the apps I used on IOS, I was able to install/use on the Passport. I did have to make one change. Instead of using Facetime, I now use Skype.
    12-15-14 11:44 AM
    he gave me the chills too!
    01-19-15 12:57 PM
    I went from an iPhone 6 Plus to a Blackberry Passport and I am very satisfied. All of the apps I used on IOS, I was able to install/use on the Passport. I did have to make one change. Instead of using Facetime, I now use Skype.
    Please use BBM. Much better and saves battery.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-15 02:17 AM
    I took the plunge and got my first BB in October - gently used 9900, unlocked - nearest ATT tower is 5 miles away. So I still have the 4s which is on Sprint - that tower is less than 1/4 mile away. Guess which phone has better call quality? Yep. BB Bold 9900. Guess which phone drops calls all the time even when it has four and five dots? Yep, the 4s on Sprint. Now, I think it's the device that's at fault. Because the 9900 has if I'm lucky one bar, maybe a tiny bit more - sometimes it hits 2.5 bars - wowie zowie - and Sprint is near, ATT is far.

Blackberry PHONES are PHONES.

Move from iPhone to Blackberry?
    You bet - in a heartbeat!!!

PS edited a lot of waffle - haven't been on for a while and I was looking to see what I missed and there's a post not far ahead of this one. Sorry to blah blah, but I do love my Bold and I'm thinking warm fuzzy thoughts about the Q10 to replace the 4s. Gotta wait and see what foliage on all these trees will do to ATT signal next May & June... Q10 on Sprint sounds like a winner!
    01-21-15 07:35 PM
    I worried also. I have used an original iPhone, an iPhone 4 and and iPhone 5. I tried android briefly.

Went to the Q10. Best experience ever. Never had an app I needed I could not replace on BlackBerry or by using snap

I just got a Passport this week and it really is the best phone on the market.

Blackberries really are for getting things done.

If you want to have a reliable phone that messages and emails like no other you won't be disappointed

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 07:53 PM
    Make sure you read all about and is well versed in deregistering imessage!
    06-04-15 03:15 AM
    all of the questions are answered correctly. basically iPhone 6 get the job done beautifully. Blackberry Passport get the job done quick. its never easy to move from one platform to another. the key is willingness. once you are ready, there are tons of great people here in crackberry that are willing to help. nothing to worry.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-04-15 05:49 AM
69 123