Hello everybody!

I'm with some doubts about changing from iPhone to Blackberry. This is a pretty major change since I've been using iPhones since day one, yet i'm getting more and more frustrated about the poor battery life, software updates that make my phone go slower and overall glitches I dislike.

I will write some questions in topics in order to be easier to understand my concerns:

1) I use iCloud to sync Calendars, Notes and Contacts. I've read that I can still use iCoud with BB10, yet I also read I can't. Can someone enlight me on this?

2) Apple offers iCoud for all that sync. Does Blackberry also offer a similar service? If yes, does it sync immediately between devices and can I setup it on my iPad and Macs easily?

3) I heavily use Skype, Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest. Yeah, pretty social. Can I use all this inside the HUB? If yes, constant notifications wont drain the Passport battery? On my iPhone the battery is almost dead by noon... Also, do we get these apps as natives?

4) Music. I listen to a lot of music and I'm pretty picky about organization and sound quality of my music. In order to transfer music to Blackberry can. I use iTunes (Mac), or only drag and drop of folders? How is the sound quality of the BB10 native player?

5) Software updates are automatic? I've been reading about people installing their own updates and about leaks, offical, unofficial, etc. Seems confusing. How does this work? The same question applies to BB/Android apps.

6) Can I add multiple alarms to a calendar entry? Or at least force several notifications in different days for a calendar entry?

7) Apple updates his phones every year. iPhone 4,4s, 5, 5s, etc. Pretty anoying for such expensive phones. How does Blackberry work? Same way, or a phone is meant to last a lot of time?

I'm just convincing myself to ditch Apple phones. I really dig the iPad and the Macs, but iPhones are making me go nuts...

I'll try to remember more question to ask over the next minutes :-)

Thank you very much!
    12-11-14 09:16 AM
    Hello everybody!

I'm with some doubts about changing from iPhone to Blackberry. This is a pretty major change since I've been using iPhones since day one, yet i'm getting more and more frustrated about the poor battery life, software updates that make my phone go slower and overall glitches I dislike.

I will write some questions in topics in order to be easier to understand my concerns:

1) I use iCloud to sync Calendars, Notes and Contacts. I've read that I can still use iCoud with BB10, yet I also read I can't. Can someone enlight me on this?

2) Apple offers iCoud for all that sync. Does Blackberry also offer a similar service? If yes, does it sync immediately between devices and can I setup it on my iPad and Macs easily?

3) I heavily use Skype, Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest. Yeah, pretty social. Can I use all this inside the HUB? If yes, constant notifications wont drain the Passport battery? On my iPhone the battery is almost dead by noon... Also, do we get these apps as natives?

4) Music. I listen to a lot of music and I'm pretty picky about organization and sound quality of my music. In order to transfer music to Blackberry can. I use iTunes (Mac), or only drag and drop of folders? How is the sound quality of the BB10 native player?

5) Software updates are automatic? I've been reading about people installing their own updates and about leaks, offical, unofficial, etc. Seems confusing. How does this work? The same question applies to BB/Android apps.

6) Can I add multiple alarms to a calendar entry? Or at least force several notifications in different days for a calendar entry?

7) Apple updates his phones every year. iPhone 4,4s, 5, 5s, etc. Pretty anoying for such expensive phones. How does Blackberry work? Same way, or a phone is meant to last a lot of time?

I'm just convincing myself to ditch Apple phones. I really dig the iPad and the Macs, but iPhones are making me go nuts...

Thank you very much!
    Answer:
    Questions 1/2
    Blackberry blend will give you that icloud level of connectivity. Initially you will need to install BlackBerry link BUT BlackBerry link does not permit notes or memos to be synced however other stuff is no issue. To solve this diallema use a 3rd party sync COMPANIONLINK. BlackBerry link plays better on windows pc's.

Question3
    Not to worry the huge battery will be more than sufficient for yor social media needs.

Question4
    Itunes format may not be readable. But native music ripped to you drive or computer will show up once your passport is plugged in.

Question5
    Yes totally automatic and controlled by your service provider.

Question6
    You will need to add multiple single entries for all of the different alarms. It's designed to be custom set.

Question 7
    updates are automatic an you will always have the latest even for your apps. It's pretty quick and completely automated. You device will tell you when they are available!

Posted via CB10
    modularblur likes this.
    12-11-14 10:19 AM
    Although I love BlackBerry (my wife iphone) I would say to you to keep using iphone.

Posted via CB10
    Nature Slice likes this.
    12-11-14 10:28 AM
    Hello everybody!

Thank you very much!

I just retired my iPhone5S (which was driving me insane since I hate typing on glass) to the Passport and have not looked back, not one bit!

The first time I went from an iPhone 4S to BB10, it was to the Q10, but I ended up returning to the iPhone because BB10 at the time was waaaay too premature and had no features at all (I think it was right before OS 10.2 came out).

This time around, I have not missed my iPhone, NOT ONE BIT.

The best thing you will find out soon enough if you do make the switch, is how incredibly amazing and fluid Blackberry Blend is!!!! You can literally do everything on it, and I mean EVERYTHING!

1) YES!

2) You can still use iCloud as long as you know your login info

3) Yes you can use all of this in the HUB

4) Here is the sexiest part.... instead of PLUGGING YOUR PHONE IN, you just connect to Blackberry Blend via Wi-fi, drag and drop tunes, pictures, contacts, you name it... Hell, you can even make new folders on your blackberry (even on your media card) through Blend!

5) There is a toggle for "download new operating system software automatically" or you can simply just press "check for newest version"

6) Yes, you can even set alarms to turn on on specific days/times etc...

7) Are you asking if there will be a "Passport S"? (eeewww @ the thought of that naming convention)
    12-11-14 10:35 AM
    Yeah, I just sold my iPhone 6 after using it since launch.. I ended up buying a passport and I have never looked back! It's the best phone I have ever had! Great battery life, solid screen, no app gap when you download snap.

Posted via CB10
    bakron1, j21jam6, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    12-11-14 10:42 AM
    Hello everybody!

Yes.

No. Blend is similar but nothing is synced between the devices. Everything stays on the BlackBerry. Blend is primarily for communication, emails,texts,bbm and contacts.

Yes you will get notifications in the Hub. Not sure about Pintrest. Skype is terrible and I haven't used it in over a year. BBM is video is soo much better. But no shouldn't put much more drain on your battery. Skype and Pintrest are Android ports.

You can use Link to sync your itunes music. Or drag and drop music files. The native player is fine but sound quality has to do with the DAC.(Digital Analog converter) Which is top notch on the newer BlackBerrys. Plays .flac files too.

All "leaks" are official. Just unfinished or unreleased versions. Not really confusing just depends if you want to stay ahead the curve. Since a lot of carriers no longer support BlackBerry you may wish to update or install a leak since they will never "push" an update. This is not applicable to any apps, BlackBerry or Android.

Yes.

Every OS requires updates as technology moves forward. I would be very upset if I no longer received updates. The more updates the better as that means they are progressing and moving forward. Yes BlackBerrys are durable and meant to last.

Honestly if you depend on social media and Skype quite a bit than BlackBerry might not be for you. Especially if you are looking to have all of your media synced across your devices.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by NtotheK; 12-11-14 at 11:19 AM.
    bungaboy and modularblur like this.
    12-11-14 11:04 AM
    I just retired my iPhone5S (which was driving me insane since I hate typing on glass) to the Passport and have not looked back, not one bit!

The first time I went from an iPhone 4S to BB10, it was to the Q10, but I ended up returning to the iPhone because BB10 at the time was waaaay too premature and had no features at all (I think it was right before OS 10.2 came out).

This time around, I have not missed my iPhone, NOT ONE BIT.

The best thing you will find out soon enough if you do make the switch, is how incredibly amazing and fluid Blackberry Blend is!!!! You can literally do everything on it, and I mean EVERYTHING!

1) YES!

2) You can still use iCloud as long as you know your login info

3) Yes you can use all of this in the HUB

4) Here is the sexiest part.... instead of PLUGGING YOUR PHONE IN, you just connect to Blackberry Blend via Wi-fi, drag and drop tunes, pictures, contacts, you name it... Hell, you can even make new folders on your blackberry (even on your media card) through Blend!

5) There is a toggle for "download new operating system software automatically" or you can simply just press "check for newest version"

6) Yes, you can even set alarms to turn on on specific days/times etc...

7) Are you asking if there will be a "Passport S"? (eeewww @ the thought of that naming convention)
    This is great, as I am not familiar with ios and have never nor will I ever use an apple product. Good to know icloud will follow.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 11:07 AM
    It won't be easy for you to move to BlackBerry. I'm not saying that iPhone is better than BlackBerry, but since you used iPhone since the first day BlackBerry will not satisfies you.

Personally I moved from iPhone 5 to Q10 because that time I won't use many applications. Now before I purchased passport I looked close to iPhone 6 and I though this device is just as old iPhone nothing innovative, and I purchased BlackBerry.

I can say that this is a really premium device but still for many users iPhone will be better choice.

Passport
    Nature Slice and chinmay007 like this.
    12-11-14 11:29 AM
    It won't be easy for you to move to BlackBerry. I'm not saying that iPhone is better than BlackBerry, but since you used iPhone since the first day BlackBerry will not satisfies you.

Personally I moved from iPhone 5 to Q10 because that time I won't use many applications. Now before I purchased passport I looked close to iPhone 6 and I though this device is just as old iPhone nothing innovative, and I purchased BlackBerry.

I can say that this is a really premium device but still for many users iPhone will be better choice.

Passport
    I used iPhone after flipphone. Transition to BlackBerry 10 was not difficult and even less so with 10.2.1 and 10.3.1 coming soon.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 11:33 AM
    Hello everybody!

Thank you very much!
    Sorry to quote the giant post again, but I'll give you some actual answers.

1. Yes, you can add an icloud account that will synch your contacts and calendars.

I don't use one myself, but I heard that it actually works fairly well. I also recommend you eventually move your info to a microsoft outlook account as that seems to actually work best.

2. Blackberry does not have a native synch like icloud for storage. There are 3rd party options however that work very well.

Dropbox and Box come built-in. In fact, if you make a new Box account from your bb10 device you get 10gb for free.

You can also download microsoft one drive from Blackberry world, another reason to have a microsoft account.

Keep in mind these will back up photos and videos automatically. BUT, everything else is manual.

Thankfully, since we have a great file browser built-in, that's extremely easy to do. It's very well integrated, and in my opinion one of the stronger aspects of bb10.

3. Facebook and LinkedIn are native and built in out of the box. They work in the hub, no problem.

Skype is honestly very bad. It's an android port, it does integrate with the hub, but it's a very poor experience. It IS functional however.

I recommend you eventually move to BBM and stop using Skype as soon as possible.

Pinterest has to be sideloaded, or I believe it's available in the built in amazon app store. No notifications, no hub integration. That will be the weak point. However, the more people buy and use bb10 phones, the more motivated pinterest will be to make a native app. The app does work however.

4. The native player is just OK. Nothing Special. It does do the job however. All organization options, equalizer. It works ok.

The passport speakers are FANTASTIC. To listen with headphones, the sound quality is more than adequate.

To synch your music, you can use the desktop software, Blackberry Link. It gives you the option to synch your music from itunes.

You can ALSO drag and drop to the device AND get a memory card and put the music there! (gasp! Options? Sooooo much better than an iphone)

5. If you want to mess with leaks, you can. There is a tonne of info on these boards for you to read and get familiar with. However, if you don't, that's fine too.

When the time comes for you to get an update, your phone will let you know. Both for apps and and OS. It will not download app updates automatically to not destroy your bandwidth, but if you're on WiFi, it will download OS updates automatically.

The only weakness is OS updates are pushed by carriers, not by Blackberry itself. So you're at the mercy of your carrier to release the update even if Blackberry has pushed it out. Hope is not lost however, you can use the same Link program to update your device.

OR you can indeed come here to crackberry and download a "leak" which in some cases are just the official updates that some carriers haven't rolled out yet.

Also, in 2 years Blackberry has put out 3 fairly major updates and with the 4th either coming now in December or in January. None of these updates have made the older devices lag, in fact it has made them quicker.

The oldest bb10 device, the Z10 has 2gb of Ram and a 1.5 dual core processor, for example the iphone6 which is brand new only has 1gb of ram and 1.4 dual core. Apple is truly stuck in the past. And the next update will make the iphone6 Crap out as well.

6. I believe you can add multiple alarms, you'll just have to do it manually. You can set an alarm or an event and then set it up for whatever length of time you want (once a week, once a month, one time, etc.)

7. Blackberry releases new phones every year, but they tend to be different.

They all have something about them that either make them attractive to you, or don't.

For example, this year Blackberry released the Passport, and in a few days the classic. Both keyboard devices.

Some people are waiting for a new all touch device, and as such keep waiting.

Since the updates to the older devices keep coming, and it's not making the devices any slower, in fact it's improving them. There is no reason NOT to wait to upgrade to a new device until you see a new one that really interests you.

Since carriers give such poor support for Blackberry as well, a lot of people tend to buy them unlocked.

This is pretty expensive and gives them the option to save up some cash, instead of knowing in a year they'll have to upgrade or be left behind.

Like some people mentioned. Blend is great software, it will let you text, bbm, email, check your calendar, transfer files, etc. All from your PC or tablet over a wireless or wired connection. It's definitely one of the strengths of Blackberry.

The passport itself is a great device, but honestly, they all are. Except for maybe the Z10 with its poor battery, all the BB10 devices have been solidly built, run well and have good internal specs. (especially worth buying when they go on sale)

Either way you choose, good luck. Blackberry does some pretty stupid things that landed them in the position they are in today. BUT they make solid devices and you will not regret getting one. Even if you later choose to go back to iphone or android or such, you'll still not regret having a bb10 device for a length of time.

Passport on Wind
    12-11-14 11:39 AM
    My partner has an iPhone 5 and although he'd rather die than admit it, he is very envious of my Passport. I had to try to figure out how to change user settings on an iPhone app, and there was no way to do it. I couldn't believe how tiny the iPhone screen was. I went to the apps desktop website and made the changes in minutes. He was amazed how easy it was to use a desktop website with a minimum of pinching and zooming.

That said, there will be a learning curve.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 11:53 AM
    Nice to see excellent, helpful and unbiased advice.

"May I see your Passport please?"
    12-11-14 12:24 PM
    You seem to be in too deep and tied down to the Apple ecosystem (just like Steve Jobs intended). Seems like all you really need is an iphone with better battery life.
    12-11-14 12:33 PM
    Yeah, I just sold my iPhone 6 after using it since launch.. I ended up buying a passport and I have never looked back! It's the best phone I have ever had! Great battery life, solid screen, no app gap when you download snap.

Posted via CB10
    I did the same with my iPhone 6 plus on launch day and I am not looking back one bit, I love my BlackBerry passport and I am here to stay.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    12-11-14 01:20 PM
    Since all of the specific answers have been answered, I will just share my experience having switched to BlackBerry after years with the iPhone.

I've used a Q10 and enjoyed it, the 10.3 OS update will only make it better. I recently upgraded to the Passport, and don't think I could ever go back. Its a tough concept to understand for iPhone users, but the BlackBerry 10 devices, all of them, work better today than when originally launched. The updates actual enhance the user experience instead of degrading it and forcing you into an upgrade. For most iPhone users it takes multiple generations of the phone to realize the business model, and I doubt many iPhone 6 purchasers are aware. Or some are, they just don't care and plan on a new phone every release. BlackBerry users upgrade because they want a different form factor or the latest specs. Some still use the Bold 9900 because it was the ultimate device for the legacy BBOS operating system. They are treated as loyal customers by BlackBerry and the Classic is a testament to BlackBerry listening to their customer base. Apple? They tell you "No no no, you don't want a bigger screen, the iPhone 5s is optimized for your hand and mobile experience." Just to turn around a year later with a bigger phone as if that was the plan all along. Very hypocritical in their actions.

What I lost by making the switch was paid apps from Apple. They close down their ecosystem to be non inclusive. But music and contacts transfered with ease. If you get a large capacity Micro SD card (64gb or above) ensure it is formatted correctly. Blend is innovative and functional, never saw anything like it with Apple or iMessage.

Speaking of iMessage, my wife (with iPhone 5) was upset when I lost that. When I showed her the cross functionality of BBM, she admitted she actually likes it better. The native BB10 text app is great too.

BlackBerry really does their best to embrace mobile computing as well as building a solid communications device. My biggest complaint about the iPhone was the call quality. It was always a poor experience for me. Blackberry really delivered on that strong suit. I honestly enjoy making phone calls again.

As far as mobile computing, you'll be amazed what you can do on a stock BlackBerry 10 without using apps. There are many threads on the BB10 section that go into depth. But to sum it up, BlackBerry does everything they can so you can "get it done" on the phone before having to pick up a tablet or computer. IPhone is a end-user experience, no one would dream of actually using it to draft important paperwork, coordinate file transfers or research material on the device. They just connect to social media, message friends, or play games. You'll have to think about what your personal use is.

So I agree with everything posted so far. Is BlackBerry for everyone? No, but neither is Apple or Android. My 2 year old toddler mastered my old iPhone 4 in days. He doesn't have a clue how to turn on the Passport. I LIKE that about BlackBerry, because I actually can trust my Passport with important info.

The more homework you do ahead of time the better experience you'll have.

PassPosted via CB Chen
    12-11-14 03:04 PM
    John Vieira nailed it. His response is probably the most accurate experience you will have if you decide to take the plunge.

The bottom line is, there are things that Apple handles better (i.e. Media Purchases, Social Media) that Blackberry isn't on par with quite yet, but still functional, so there will be a few small hiccups. But, the overall experience with the potential moving forward is well worth it in my opinion.
    anon(2313227) and ponpiri like this.
    12-11-14 03:28 PM
    Take the plunge and learn the BB10 gestures and features--you won't regret it! But keep in mind that iMessage can screw with your text messages if you keep the same phone number.

From a Z30
    12-11-14 05:32 PM
    Wow, just happy to read those long quotes from former iPhone users.

I still have a Z10, since I live in The Dominican Republic and this and the Q10 have been the only BB10 devices sold in the country so far.

That said, to me is so funny when people (especially iPhone users) tell me "Why don't you ditch that old BlackBerry?... buy something more modern, and stuffs like that", and then I laugh and think... they don't know what they miss!!!!

Love my BlackBerry,

#BlackBerry4life

Via CB10 / STL1 / 10.3.1.1154 / BBM:2AF321DC
    12-11-14 06:34 PM
    I have a company iPhone and 4 ipads in my house. I like my BlackBerry enough to pay 85$ a month for a phone I don't need as my company provides one. I have not spent more than 5 hours on my iPad since I got it. My kids watch netflix and treehouse and my wife occasionally uses hers.

We are organized like crazy through BBM group calendar and list, its my mobile media player when I travel, it plays almost everything and the best part is you can drag and drop your files in. It even has USB to go. It's my go to camera to capture family pictures. My story maker videos are a huge hit in my family. The hub is amazing for communication. Also I have way better signal on my BlackBerry than iPhone.

I think you will love it.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 06:56 PM
    I just switched from iPhone to the Passport. Love it. As there have been many answers, I will just provide my take so far.

Moving over platforms was easy. Love the screen and Hub (which is actually the best part). Keyboard is great but does take a short time to get used to it. As I was waiting on the ATT rep to switch me over, I was setting up the PP, then switching between the iPhone and couldn't believe I could have used that tiny thing.

Lack of apps are a bit frustrating, but most of the mainstream social apps you can get trough the BBW or Amazon app store. But with BlackBerry trending like it is, most likely the options will increase.

But so glad I switched. Apple ecosystem is terrible to get out of. But that is also one of the main reasons I switched. This phone has been just totally awesome.

I hope you make the switch.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 07:28 PM
    I just switched from iPhone to the Passport. Love it. As there have been many answers, I will just provide my take so far.

Moving over platforms was easy. Love the screen and Hub (which is actually the best part). Keyboard is great but does take a short time to get used to it. As I was waiting on the ATT rep to switch me over, I was setting up the PP, then switching between the iPhone and couldn't believe I could have used that tiny thing.

Lack of apps are a bit frustrating, but most of the mainstream social apps you can get trough the BBW or Amazon app store. But with BlackBerry trending like it is, most likely the options will increase.

But so glad I switched. Apple ecosystem is terrible to get out of. But that is also one of the main reasons I switched. This phone has been just totally awesome.

I hope you make the switch.

Posted via CB10
    If you haven't done so yet, install and play around with Blackberry Blend! You will be blown away!
    12-11-14 09:28 PM
    Well, I'm sold. I will move out from the closed Apple ecosystem. It will be tough, but I really feel the need to move away. Thank you all for the amazing help!

I was also considering the Classic, yet the screen seems a bit small and the lower specs may not be a good idea in the long run. Passport seesm to be the perfect choice. I also considered the Galaxy S5/Note 4 for a while, yet it seems more of the same (as in iOS). The system stability is a major key for me, even though I've read here that some people are having problems with BB10, like double contacts entries, freezings, etc.

Hope the next OS update fixes this!
    12-12-14 06:35 AM
    iPhone experience is set..it is user friendly and seamless for people with multiple Apple branded items. But you get what you get that Apple has shown you.

Android is like Apple, you get what you get but you get a bunch of ports you can plug stuff into. The more stuff you plug into YOURSELF the more rewarding it is but also the more dangerous it is.

BlackBerry is Apple + ports and those stuff already plugged in for you. It is feature packed and aimed at productivity but BlackBerry doesn't give you the manual you gotta play and learn these things yourself. However almost everyday you learn something and cool and have "ah ha" moments all the time.
    Reminds me of playing "Mission Thunderbolt" on the Macs in the early 90's. You have a bunch of unknown objects in your inventory and you have to try them out and then you will go "Ah Ha! This is a discombobulator."
    thedose likes this.
    12-12-14 07:57 AM
    Once u get a BlackBerry u can almost certainly never go back.

I owned two iphones and two androids. And I am happy to report that im back to my beloved BB

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 08:50 AM

Passport
    I second this.

Passport is my first BlackBerry. Before it I was a six-year iPhone user. Passport is a great phone and the system is much more efficient in handling emails and schedules etc. than the iPhone. But don't expect you will have a good experience on apps. Most of the BlackBerry apps remind me of Jurassic era. If you take a look at the BlackBerry World, many apps have not been updated for at least half a year. And you may have to pay for mediocre third party replacements that you can get for free on an iPhone. If you are social, I would recommend you stay with iPhone. I would caution you that people that can stick with BlackBerry are less likely to be in need of the ios ecosystem.
    12-12-14 10:32 AM
69 123