Hello,

I uploaded a latest BBOS on my Passport Silver Edition. I am at US, on AT&T. When I try to enable a mobile hotspot, it says "in order to use a mobile hotspot, contact your wireless service provider to subscribe to a mobile hotspot data plan".

That is strange, because my plan includes tehering. Just to confirm, I put my SIM to BB Classic and mobile hotspot can be enabled.

Any idea what to do?

Thanks!
    03-02-20 03:35 AM
    Hello,

I uploaded a latest BBOS on my Passport Silver Edition. I am at US, on AT&T. When I try to enable a mobile hotspot, it says "in order to use a mobile hotspot, contact your wireless service provider to subscribe to a mobile hotspot data plan".

That is strange, because my plan includes tehering. Just to confirm, I put my SIM to BB Classic and mobile hotspot can be enabled.

Any idea what to do?

Thanks!
    Just for clarification, the Passport runs BB10 - not BBOS.

What specific OS build did you load on your device, and what method did you use to do it?
    03-02-20 06:21 AM
    Just for clarification, the Passport runs BB10 - not BBOS.

What specific OS build did you load on your device, and what method did you use to do it?
    Yes, I meant BB10.

10.3.3.3216 - the latest available for Passport. I downloaded a zip archive from MEGA and run "exe" file.

Currently I'm suspecting that may be AT&T did something for BB devices - I used a Blackberry Link to factory reset my passport to default version and still mobile hotspot is not working. In december 2019, I was using Bold 9900 (I'm rotating BB phones every month) and mobile hotspot was working. This month I was on Key1/Key2LE and mobile hotspot was working, as well as on iPhone. Very strange.
    03-02-20 07:42 AM
    Well, I tested my Classic BB phone - the same OS version - now I have the same problem. Could AT&T disable this feature?
    03-02-20 11:01 AM
    Well, I tested my Classic BB phone - the same OS version - now I have the same problem. Could AT&T disable this feature?
    It was my understanding that 10.3.3 brought in new capabilities to better adhere to carrier policies on mobile hotspot use.

Maybe talk to AT&T to make sure you are provisioned properly - despite it working on other, perhaps less stringent, devices.
    03-02-20 11:06 AM
    It was my understanding that 10.3.3 brought in new capabilities to better adhere to carrier policies on mobile hotspot use.

Maybe talk to AT&T to make sure you are provisioned properly - despite it working on other, perhaps less stringent, devices.
    AT&T was no help. Gave me roundabout of things that didn't lead to any outcome.
    03-02-20 11:49 AM
    Is your Classic AT&T branded ? Is your Passport AT&T branded?
    03-02-20 11:52 AM
    Is your Classic AT&T branded ? Is your Passport AT&T branded?
    Passport (Silver Edition) is unbranded. Classic - I don't remember, but I think it was T-mobile locked, but I unlocked it when I was with T-mobile.
    03-02-20 11:58 AM
    Passport (Silver Edition) is unbranded. Classic - I don't remember, but I think it was T-mobile locked, but I unlocked it when I was with T-mobile.
    Problem with AT&T is that many enhanced features aren’t supported on non-carrier branded hardware. If your Classic allows don’t complain, it’s better than nothing.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-02-20 12:20 PM
    I turned it on I have an AT&T contract. My Passport can become a hotspot, with the most updated OS. Yet the AT&T branded Classic will not?
    03-03-20 09:14 AM
    I turned it on I have an AT&T contract. My Passport can become a hotspot, with the most updated OS. Yet the AT&T branded Classic will not?
    He's having no luck with either. Specifically on 10.3.3.3216.
    03-03-20 09:16 AM
    He's having no luck with either. Specifically on 10.3.3.3216.
    It is very interesting, as the classic is AT&T bound. The Passport is not and works fine. As a corporate user I have placed a call to get the answer. Our account rep is at a much higher level than the consumer version.

call: After speaking to the rep, I was told AT&T is slowly moving away from system locked legacy devices. But he did say that AT&T is migrating APN settings and this could be the issue.
    03-03-20 09:19 AM
    Is your account postpaid or prepaid?
    03-03-20 10:06 AM
    Is your account postpaid or prepaid?
    Made another call to AT&T: this time got a better person. She said she refreshed my profile (or something like that), and now everything (Mobile Hotspot) is working.

I'm on postpaid plan with mobile hotspot feature.
    03-03-20 11:33 AM
    Made another call to AT&T: this time got a better person. She said she refreshed my profile (or something like that), and now everything is working.

I'm on postpaid plan with mobile hotspot feature.
    Glad they got it working... sometimes calling two or three times is what it takes.
    03-03-20 11:35 AM
    Glad they got it working... sometimes calling two or three times is what it takes.
    Pretty much. The real solution, however, was populating the right IMEI in their systems. Just in case anyone else runs into it and needs to know what to ask tech for.
    03-03-20 06:33 PM
    Just tested my Passport OG on Rogers and it works as expected. Must be carrier specific!

Posted via my Passport
    03-04-20 08:18 PM