I know "mobile computing" was talked about a lot when BB 10 first came out but I'm starting to think the passport looks like it maybe the best example of it, to me anyway. I know it's early and know one has got to try it yet but I'm optimistic this might be the one.
    Example:
    Large Screen
    Physical Keyboard
    Built in Trackpad
    Up to date O/S
    Fits in pocket

What do you guys think?
    06-24-14 10:28 PM
    Who knows exactly what BlackBerry's definition is.

I think your analysis is spot on. The additional elements of control are important, at least for my definition of mobile computing.

With the track pad functionality coming back, coupled with the width of this screen means I can more easily do remote computing on the go, as an IT Pro. Remote Desktop, and shell sessions will be nice & visible on this device. Although I love my Z30 - the Passport has an interesting proposition here...

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 10:41 PM
    Well after seeing several images, videos and first hand accounts, I'm 99% convinced hardware wise the passport will make a great mobile computer. My idea of what one should be at least. Software could be lacking in the docs to go area but hopefully that will be addressed soon too.

For the record my idea of a mobile computer is something that you could do 90% of what you need to do without missing the use of a full size keyboard mouse and big monitor and fits in your pocket.
    07-18-14 10:05 PM
    Just let us double tap to bring up a mouse cursor and it would be with the space bar to click.

Posted via CB10
    last_attempt likes this.
    07-18-14 10:44 PM
    I think the hardware/software combination that is able to keep the user connected to as many people and projects on the go wins that title. Objectively, that differs from person to person.

I think the Passport should fulfill the needs of a lot of people.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    07-18-14 10:49 PM
    All this time, I thought that my Z10 and Z30 are considered "mobile computing" devices... since this is what BlackBerry claiming when they introduced these devices... (And this is also what I've been telling to my friends although I can't explain to them what it does extraordinary things that makes them mobile computing devices from other mobiles having different OS)...

Now someone is telling that because of additional physical keyboard and 1:1 ratio screen, the BlackBerry Passport is a mobile computing device...

I'm missing something, right?

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 04:06 AM
    Now someone is telling that because of additional physical keyboard and 1:1 ratio screen, the BlackBerry Passport is a mobile computing device...
    Your right about the Z10 and 30 or any modern smartphone, the thing is we all have our own idea of what a "mobile computer" should be. The Passport with the large built in screen, keyboard and trackpad has the edge over other models in my mind. That's why I think its the best example of one, I guess I'm looking at it literallly as a true handheld PC.
    07-19-14 07:29 AM
    Someone posted the other day that the phone element is really just another app on a mobile computer for all smartphones. It's a good way of looking at it.

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    07-19-14 07:42 AM
    I will seriously check out the Passport cause I'm happy with my Q10 (since early 2013) but my screen is a little to small for browsing, etc (i use reader mode most of the time and it is great). Answering messages it's not a problem, but browsing or so make my older eyes work too much for my liking. Q10 will still be my preferred device for on the go due to its size, weight and physical kb. Definitely interested in Passport, mostly for its screen size. Not using tablets (sold mine last year), a little too clumsy for my liking. I rather have a good phablet that is still very portable and is a full fledged smartphone.
    07-19-14 08:54 AM
    Mobile computing means that I can use my device as a not-so-crude laptop replacement. Being that no smartphone out there has proper productivity apps and proper support for a large format display (all smartphones simply duplicate their screen vs. extending and scaling properly), none of them really work for mobile computing. Passport does not appear to be bringing any improvement in this regard so I would say "no".

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-19-14 11:33 AM
    That's a good point about the screen scaling. I wonder why this hasn't happened. Do they feel its not necessary or is it a technical issue?
    07-19-14 11:57 AM
    Let's not to forget Z50.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    07-19-14 01:00 PM
    Yes but I don't think the Z50 as good as it may be will have a physical keyboard and trackpad so therefore won't be quite as good as the passport
    07-19-14 04:37 PM
    Understood. It depends on how you value physical keyboard and track pad.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    07-19-14 05:32 PM
    That's a good point about the screen scaling. I wonder why this hasn't happened. Do they feel its not necessary or is it a technical issue?
    No way is technical. They literally just haven't clued in yet to design the OS properly. They also haven't solved the problem of needing to have more than one application usable simultaneously. When you have a keyboard and a mouse at your disposal you need desktop grade multitasking.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    last_attempt likes this.
    07-19-14 07:06 PM
    Just like my Q10, when I get the passport, I will use it instead of my laptop for most things. That's a mobile computer to me.
    07-20-14 01:57 PM
    Yeah, there doesn't seem to be anymore clear lines of demarcation anymore for quite a few people. I think we are closing if not already closed the gap for average use. I don't think the heavy duty program users will ever need to, or desire to shut down the desktop.
    07-20-14 07:01 PM
    Someone posted the other day that the phone element is really just another app on a mobile computer for all smartphones. It's a good way of looking at it.
    Yeah I can see the Passport as a superior mobile computer at least if the Classic doesn't pan out... although I will point out that a removable battery would be good particularly if u use your device a lot
    Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 10:37 AM