03-18-15 11:22 AM
27 12
tools
    Hey all. Long time reader long time BlackBerry user in the early days long time poster or tried to be.

I used a iPhone for the past 4 years went back to the BlackBerry and then iPhone 6 and now using a passport. I want to keep BlackBerry however my eco is apple. This is so tough. I hate virtual keywords so I love BlackBerry for that.

Not looking for any advise just speaking my mind and always like what I read back.

What did you do if you were in this position.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 07:20 PM
    I like all platforms , they all have there purpose. Iphone for music.pics,video, but as i use my phone for work you can not beat BB for the messaging whether its tex, bbm, email, and pretty well all them work as a phone, so i think it really comes down to whats more important for you.
    03-09-15 07:25 PM
    What can you do? You use the item that best serves your purposes. Define those purposes and you will see which phone is good for you.
    I agree with WITHDRAWL ...the bbm, the text, the email, messaging. For me it just works. I like the keyboard as well, and the shortcuts are great. You can create your own, you know?
    At a Christmas party this year, I plugged my PP into the Bose tv/stereo system through the headphone jack. Tuned into the local classical station which had an online Christmas only station. And tada! Christmas music for the party.
    The Passport might just surprise you.
    The form factor gets a lot of looks, and comments. Maybe it's a bit square for you, ok, nothing is perfect, not even the iPhone.
    Good luck...and we will not be hurt if you leave. CB or BB or PP.
    ....well, maybe just a little.

Posted via CB10
    BBJonbo likes this.
    03-09-15 08:56 PM
    Hey all. Long time reader long time BlackBerry user in the early days long time poster or tried to be.

I used a iPhone for the past 4 years went back to the BlackBerry and then iPhone 6 and now using a passport. I want to keep BlackBerry however my eco is apple. This is so tough. I hate virtual keywords so I love BlackBerry for that.

Not looking for any advise just speaking my mind and always like what I read back.

Posted via CB10
    I've probably had every flagship device as they have come out and made the switch back to Apple devices each time. My last blackberry device was the bold, which I loved. I am actually switching to the passport from the 6+ to move away from Apple's Eco system. I currently experience more crashes, unstoppable ads, and concerns over privacy on my Apple devices than ever before. While Apple's setup seems like a blessing at first that everything is shared through all of your devices, you eventually realize that everything they do is to force you to remain an ever-renewing Apple user. This was proven by the lawsuit that showed the Apple would not allow iMessage to be turned off for a phone number that was associated with an apple device previously, resulting in people not being able to receive text messages from Apple users. I am switching to the passport to simplify my device and to break the chains the Apple has imposed on me. I don't believe all the hype and non-sense about Apple collecting your fingerprints and stuff but they are definitely collecting information on you and nothing good comes a company having too much power, influence, and information on your life. I will continue to use my Mac because I believe it is a superior laptop, however I have no plans to return to Apple regarding the iPhone (which I am now currently selling).
    03-09-15 09:02 PM
    You guys are so right about messaging hands down the best.

What really makes me go back to apple is the multimedia however messaging is more important these days.

And for the most part pp works great and you are so right people see it and go what's that. I say the coolest device you will ever see.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 09:04 PM
    You've gotta use what best suits your needs. To be honest, I couldn't trade the Passport for anything when it comes to communications for work. And even personal messaging... just communications in general.

I think the biggest adjustment is to re-thinking that your mobile device needs to do everything. It's not necessarily true. It's like anything else: if you spread your resources too thin, you may be able to do anything but you will have to sacrifice the quality of at least some of those things. For me, with my mobile device, I can afford to sacrifice media consumption for commications. I have an Android Tablet at home which I'm not thrilled with but it is far more useful than my PB or even my Passport when it comes to games and media.

Do you have an iPad or something at home to compliment the use of your Passport? Now that you can use Blend on it, it's possible to incorporate BlackBerry into your Apple ecosystem moreso than the other way around. This might change more and more with BlackBerry bringing more software to iOS and Android. Who knows where the winds will take you but be proud of your Passport. It is a bold device and it does what it does very well.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    GeoK, Oiche_Shamhna and clitrenta like this.
    03-09-15 09:05 PM
    I do own a lot of apple products and blend works well with iPad. I find that my main devices I use now are passport and macbook retina.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 09:27 PM
    Accept the fact that there're no perfect phone

Sabbe Satta Bhavantu Sukitatta - Posted via CB
    clitrenta likes this.
    03-09-15 09:33 PM
    Apple does have its appeal to majority of users who are more focus on multimedia, entertaining aspects.

BlackBerry is the business oriented, which IMHO has no direct competition from other brands. Although, WM8.1 is closely following behind.

Having iPhone6+, Lumia 1520, HTC M8 and Passport running simultaneously, I feel that Apple and BlackBerry compliment each other nicely.

Best combo for on-road business trips

Posted via CB10
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    03-09-15 09:35 PM
    Just stick to what works for you best. You don't need to please every phone manufacturers...

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 09:35 PM
    My solutio is blackberry + ipad. I get all my social apps games etc on iPad, otherwise I use blackberry for work and messaging, love it that way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    cb64800 likes this.
    03-09-15 10:10 PM
    I think by keeping your Passport and the iPad, you can enjoy the benefits of both platforms. Be happy that you have both available to you.
    03-10-15 02:16 AM
    Ideally, iPhone could possibly be what would work best for me in the sense of music creation. I use an old iPhone just for that but I choose the Passport. I find it to be a little big, at least until I'm sitting at home with it on the couch.

The things I like best are that it has great specs. It has security without trade-off for freedom to make the device a personal mobile computer rather than rely on one ecosystem. I like that I have file managers, the ability to download files straight to the device from the browser, with capability to open them, unzip them, expandable memory which can be used as usb mass storage on another computer, USB OTG, ability to sideload apps, develop and test, & sign apps at no cost, install apps from other sources, ability to install an operating system version of my choosing (Thanks to many here on CB!), and the communication capability is top notch at this time.

The PKB is something I would have never sought out but my appreciation for it now after using one, especially with the touch enabled feature is staggering! Every device has its downsides but despite what I consider to be things I might nitpick about the Passport on occasion, I can't imagine I could think of any ways without going against all the design that was taken into consideration in creating it to change it.

Really, it's like if I could image there was a device that I make for myself that I've always wanted, Passport is it! Now if I could only run maybe a select handful of iOS apps on it, or if those devs could make them for BB10, that'd be nice too
    03-10-15 08:33 AM
    The Passport and iPad combo is killer.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 09:08 AM
    Running an Ipad mini and a Passport combo too. Gradually the Ipad became redundant as the Passport covered most of the workday needs. The Ipad stays at home for the odd video/game time.

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    03-10-15 10:27 AM
    Follow your heart...get whatever you want to get.

Mia san mia!
    03-10-15 12:00 PM
    I could argue that I should use an iPhone.

I have a retina Mac Book Pro, the big one, an iPad Air 2 and an iPod Touch. It would be easy for me to justify getting and iPhone so all my stuff syncs.

Lots of people here talk about how their Passport has replaced their tablet, but that would never work for me, just as an iPhone could never replace a BlackBerry for me. I appreciate what Apple does, but I appreciate what BlackBerry does too. I've always used my phone for communications, it has never crossed my mind to use my phone to watch a movie or to download music to. I really don't like virtual keyboards, though the one on my Z30 is good. I won't let my ecosystem determine what type of phone I'll use. I know what Messages and email are like on the iPhone, and I don't want any part of it. I know it has lots of apps, that's cool, but I don't use too many, and the ones I do want, well I can get those on my iPad or iPod.
    bitek likes this.
    03-10-15 12:24 PM
    I'd also second the Passport and iPad mini combo. If I were to get an Apple device, it would be for the ecosystem, but for content consumption, not creation.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    03-10-15 02:07 PM
    Love all the posts. The combination of both worlds is the best way to go. Love the pp keyboard and the slide up to complete word.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 07:20 PM
    You guys are so right about messaging hands down the best.

What really makes me go back to apple is the multimedia however messaging is more important these days.

And for the most part pp works great and you are so right people see it and go what's that. I say the coolest device you will ever see.

Posted via CB10
    Multimedia is done best with an iPad. Ditch iPhone pair passport with iPad? BlackBerry Blend would work with iPad too

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 07:28 PM
    Also you can put all your music on the Passport inside a 64-128gig sd card. No cloud storage required here.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 07:30 PM
    For me it comes down to expectation, research and adaptation. What never seems to come into people's post is why leave a phone that is working for you... if you do not have a real good reason then why bother... Being in a closed garden ecosystem you are pretty much walled in. You are in all likelyhood going to go back to it. If you are going to go... research.. find out what you are getting more of ( outside of a new experience )... does it actually do something better?....as most of you data and media is in one place at Apple... If you are app centric than you need to make sure you Must haves are there,,,,,you need figure out does the new platform allow you to interface with you data,.,, nothing worse that being blocked off from what gives you happiness... Adaptability is the key... you realistically have to know it is going to be different,,, with some plus and minuses,,, how you adapt to this ( read home sickness ) depends to how fast you go back to whence you came...

I work in the computer business.. and first thing I ask a client looking to upgrade is "what is your computer not doing that you feel the need to update"... many times nothing.. then they start to rethink the idea..... Many in the smartphone realm need to start taking this attitude... funny how many people update just because their contract is up...if your phone is still doing what you want why bother... something better and greater come out every 3-6 months... so you will be left wanting...
    GeoK likes this.
    03-10-15 07:37 PM
    For me it comes down to expectation, research and adaptation. What never seems to come into people's post is why leave a phone that is working for you... if you do not have a real good reason then why bother... Being in a closed garden ecosystem you are pretty much walled in. You are in all likelyhood going to go back to it. If you are going to go... research.. find out what you are getting more of ( outside of a new experience )... does it actually do something better?....as most of you data and media is in one place at Apple... If you are app centric than you need to make sure you Must haves are there,,,,,you need figure out does the new platform allow you to interface with you data,.,, nothing worse that being blocked off from what gives you happiness... Adaptability is the key... you realistically have to know it is going to be different,,, with some plus and minuses,,, how you adapt to this ( read home sickness ) depends to how fast you go back to whence you came...

I work in the computer business.. and first thing I ask a client looking to upgrade is "what is your computer not doing that you feel the need to update"... many times nothing.. then they start to rethink the idea..... Many in the smartphone realm need to start taking this attitude... funny how many people update just because their contract is up...if your phone is still doing what you want why bother... something better and greater come out every 3-6 months... so you will be left wanting...
    Curiousity, eagerness and boredom (towards something new and old)

Sabbe Satta Bhavantu Sukitatta - Posted via CB
    03-11-15 08:53 PM
    This poster, blue troll and cow said it best.
    Blackberry has served with distinction while moving across different places, cities, countries, and continents. I had a 9800 with me in Spain back for a big hurrah in that country. It never failed and with AT&T (yes they really did well), it functioned without a hitch. Communication was essential.
    From that, I went to the 9000 and now the Passport. Am I gonna watch a movie/video on it? No. (maybe a quick thing that my niece sends me of the kids covered in cake - via BBM, by the way).
    My Passport has been my GPS to Brooklyn (among other places) and to getting out!! (Don't forget the bread!) Email text and messages, documents for quick overviews and it's square.

My iPad has served as a book, movie cinema and a solitaire game on flights.
    I don't do any really work on that iPad either. Dunno why, but prefer my Mac. (does someone want to help/convince me that it is really possible??)
    I use a Macbook Air or the office computer, PC. Blend is on both.
    My car has a USB slot. So, I don't even need to transfer music anymore to my phone. Dump it all on the USB and plug that in.

Rumors of a 13 inch iPad...well it better have an SD slot or forget it. Sometimes, you're just not in a place that has the North American connections of internet and wifi.

The Passport and iPad combo is killer.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 09:27 PM
    Perfect pairing for me is Passport and SurfacePro 3. My SP3 has replaced my desktop, laptop and Tablet. On the plane it is a perfect eReader, media player and streaming player for airlines that now offer wireless streaming. With 8gb of RAM, 256GB SDD and 128GB MicroSDXC I have all the storage I need. I use Plex and sync content prior to leaving on a long trip. For me this is the perfect pairing.

Posted CB10->BB Passport
    03-14-15 10:46 PM
27 12