I bought a Miracast dongle, expecting to be able to run a presentation from my Passport. The dongle was plugged into a Benq projector. I tested the connection in a back room prior to the presentation, and all was good - the devices connected the first time, and everything on my Passport screen was showing up on the projector screen.

So I rolled the cart with the projector into the presentation room, had to unplug everything and reconnect, and my phone just wouldn't link! I tried resetting, rebooting - nothing. Asked everyone in the audience to turn off the Bluetooth on their phones - didn't help. The Passport had no trouble finding the projector, but couldn't pair with it. So I had to give a very different presentation from the one I intended.

WTF happened? Why would the connection be so flaky?

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    02-18-15 09:43 AM
    Miracast works on wifi not blue tooth. It is possible you did not connect correctly to the wifi after the restart. Or the dongle didn't connect accurately.

I use my Miracast dongle for my Z30 all the time. Works pretty well at screen sharing.

Posted via CB10
    ALToronto likes this.
    02-18-15 09:48 AM
    I usually have problems when using Miracast to replicate my Q10 screen to a LG tv... sometimes it 'pairs' sometimes not.

Posted from Angband using the mighty Hammer of the Underworld, my Q10
    ALToronto likes this.
    02-18-15 09:50 AM
    You are not going to like my answer, but to put it bluntly, Miracast is not always very stable. If you do any web search at all you will find a myriad of connection problems. At the best of times with the best quality dongle you may still have problems. IMHO if you are giving a presentation, use a physical connection with cable.
    ALToronto likes this.
    02-18-15 09:55 AM
    I've been using Miracast for presentations ever since BB10 devices supported it, with a PTV3000, and not had a single problem. Currently using a Z30 and Passport, with ppt presenter via docs2go, or BlackBerry Express presentations.

But, never been further than 30-40 feet away from the ptv3000 box, but never gotten any hiccups or connection problems.

Perhaps you need to check for wifi interferences in the room you do presentation
    ALToronto likes this.
    02-18-15 12:45 PM
    I have a couple of miracast dongles & they generally work well. Occassionally, I have to unplug and re-plug the dongle, but it sounds like you did that.

I've also had problems re-connecting with Miracast using my BlackBerry if I didn't properly disconnect it first (selecting disconnect from the menu). That may be a step that you missed.

Posted via CB10
    ALToronto likes this.
    02-18-15 01:43 PM
    I tried once screen sharing from Passport and Classic through Miracast on my Philips 4K TV and had bad experience with both devices due to pretty big lag. I guess it's the Philips :/

'I sense a soul in search of answers'
    ALToronto likes this.
    02-18-15 02:12 PM
    Get a Netgear PTV3000

Posted via CB10
    ALToronto likes this.
    02-18-15 02:44 PM
    I have a Sony Blu-ray player that supports Miracast. It works but there is huge lag and large amounts of image artifacting. I can reduce it by putting my Passport directly on top of the Blu-ray player, but it's still basically unusable. I tried unplugging my Wifi router, doesn't help.

Conclusion, Miracast is garbage.
    ALToronto likes this.
    02-18-15 02:45 PM
    I tried once screen sharing from Passport and Classic through Miracast on my Philips 4K TV and had bad experience with both devices due to pretty big lag. I guess it's the Philips :/

'I sense a soul in search of answers'
    Nope, just Miracast. It's not that great at all.
    ALToronto likes this.
    02-18-15 03:20 PM
    I gave up on Miracaat long time ago. Never was able to get connections working well.

Posted via CB10
    ALToronto likes this.
    02-18-15 03:40 PM
    I've been using the Microsoft Wireless Display adapter and it has worked great. I stream videos from my SD card in my Q10 to the TV without any hiccups.
    It's a little pricier, but I recommend the Microsoft one.

[Hopefully NOT Edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.2267 CB10
    Last edited by jope28; 02-18-15 at 04:36 PM.
    02-18-15 04:09 PM
    Anyone have any luck with chromecast?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    02-18-15 04:11 PM
    Anyone have any luck with chromecast?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    The BlackBerry Android Runtime doesn't allow for Chromecast to work as its supposed to. There are certain apps that will work, like YouTube did at one point as well as Netflix but that support comes and goes with different builds of the app. The one app that does work, only allows for YouTube to be controlled from your BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 04:19 PM
    I have to say miracast is useful, but the connection's stability has some issues. I have a Samsung smart TV with built in miracast. Doesn't matter if I am using miracast from the laptop or phones (z30 and passport)...when I miracast hd videos onto the tv, the connection sometimes lags and craps out.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 10:46 PM
    The BlackBerry Android Runtime doesn't allow for Chromecast to work as its supposed to. There are certain apps that will work, like YouTube did at one point as well as Netflix but that support comes and goes with different builds of the app. The one app that does work, only allows for YouTube to be controlled from your BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Any chance this is fixed in 10.3.1 or no?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    02-18-15 11:09 PM
    Miracast dongles are flaky.
    Netgear PTV is not. Has never let me or anyone else I know down. Did one firmware upgrade when purchased.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 12:12 AM
    Any chance this is fixed in 10.3.1 or no?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Fixed, no. Slightly improved, yes. Meaning it's less flaky when it does work right.
    02-19-15 06:41 AM
    Miracast is supposed to be a standard like USB. But, even when devices are certified, they don't always work. I have a number of Miracast dongles and some are good and some are bad. I have an LG WebOs TV and it simply won't pair at all with any BlackBerry. Who is at fault? BlackBerry or LG? I have no idea. Same thing with the Amazon Fire TV Stick. It simply won't pair with a BlackBerry. Again, I don't know whose implementation is at fault but someone is obviously not adhering to the standards.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 06:53 AM
    Thanks everyone. No, I didn't disconnect properly, that might have been part of it. But wouldn't resetting and rebooting clear it up?

I guess all the stray wifi signals interfere with Miracast. I'll try the MS one, it worked for me in the MS store. I bought a different dongle from TigerDirect. Or maybe just use Slimport and be chained to the projector.

02-19-15 06:58 AM
    Nope, just Miracast. It's not that great at all.
    It's great knowing it's not that great for those of us using a Z10, which doesn't have this feature . I'm not missing anything I guess.

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    02-19-15 07:08 AM
    I can totally feel your pain. I was worried the story was going to end with "my partner whipped out his Note 4 and it picked up immediately to finish the presentation".

I find that it depends on the dongle. I went through a couple cheap $40 dongles made in China. I returned 1 and the other the seller never responded. I bought an Actiontec dongle and I never had an issue. Problem with the Actiontec is that it requires a small power adapter. My Roku 3 has been flawless. I have not tried a Roku dongle. But Miracast is flaky. Again, I blame the dongle more than the smartphone. Btw, I use a Z30.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 07:21 AM
    I can totally feel your pain. I was worried the story was going to end with "my partner whipped out his Note 4 and it picked up immediately to finish the presentation".

I find that it depends on the dongle. I went through a couple cheap $40 dongles made in China. I returned 1 and the other the seller never responded. I bought an Actiontec dongle and I never had an issue. Problem with the Actiontec is that it requires a small power adapter. My Roku 3 has been flawless. I have not tried a Roku dongle. But Miracast is flaky. Again, I blame the dongle more than the smartphone. Btw, I use a Z30.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting - mine is by Actiontec, called ScreenBeam Mini 2. And the really frustrating part is that it did work the first time. There must have been something in the presentation room that was interfering with the signal. I think I'll just stick with wires.

02-19-15 04:06 PM