Does anyone know what a good and cheap Miracast dongle is that works with a BlackBerry passport?

I've never used Miracast before so I've no idea what I have to look for!

I saw some cheap ones at aliexpress.com but not sure which one would be the best.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 05:34 PM
    This might be useful to you :

http://www.zdnet.com/article/project...-does-it-work/

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 06:07 PM
    Don't get the ScreenBeam Mini. It didn't work with my Passport and a Benq projector. I tried the Microsoft dongle in the store with a display monitor, and it worked very well. Haven't bought it yet, but plan to.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    04-23-15 06:50 PM
    Asus works perfectly

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 12:04 AM
    Netgear ptv 3000

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 12:21 AM
    They all seem a bit pricey :c

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 05:36 AM
    I have the netgear one mentioned above, and also stayed somewhere where they had a wdtv live box. Wdtv seemed to work better and has some added network functions and a usb port

Posted via CB4
    04-24-15 05:59 AM
    They all seem a bit pricey :c

Posted via CB10
    The ScreenBeam Mini was the cheapest, and a complete waste of money. I wouldn't buy something this complex on aliexpress.com. Just get one that works, it's not a huge expense. Don't risk functionality for the sake of saving $20.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    04-24-15 06:30 AM
    The Belkin Miracast Adapter works well also, just make sure you are on firmware v2.5

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2726 on AT&T
    04-24-15 09:12 AM
    I find that the cheaper you go, the worse the wireless streaming is. I bought a few cheap ones on ebay, they sucked or didn't work at all, spent just as much on a few cheap ones compared to what I would have spent on a good one.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 11:35 AM
    I use the Roku Streaming Stick.
    04-24-15 11:42 AM
    I tried a few cheap $20 ones from ebay that could sort of be made to work, but they were garbage.

The best I've used yet is one from (of all companies) Microsoft that you can pick up for $60CDN at any Best Buy:
    Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter (CG4-00001) - Black : Other iPad & Tablet Accessories - Best Buy Canada

It works perfectly.
    jope28 likes this.
    04-24-15 02:00 PM
    Does anyone know what a good and cheap Miracast dongle is that works with a BlackBerry passport?

I've never used Miracast before so I've no idea what I have to look for!

I saw some cheap ones at aliexpress.com but not sure which one would be the best.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    FYI: when you deal with electronics, if you want cheap, don't expect quality. If you want quality, don't expect cheap. What do you really want?

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 02:39 PM
    FYI: when you deal with electronic components, if you want cheap, don't expect quality. If you want quality, don't expect cheap. What do you really want?

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 02:39 PM
    I have both the WDTV and the Netgear PTV3000. Both work good. And should be in the $50-$75 range. Occasionally I get some stuttering or a failure to connect with both of these. Usually these problems are resolved when I restart either the device or the phone.

I'm intrigued by the MS device mentioned above. Any further comments on it? I have to get some gifts for family later this year. Maybe I'll try that one.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 02:59 PM
    I use the Roku Streaming Stick.
    Do you have any problems with your Roku stick. With mine, I constantly get discounted. There are also a lot of stuttering, delays, and scrambled pictures especially when playing video. Wonder what is your experience.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 03:32 PM
    You have to remember one thing while using Miracast while streaming videos that your phone is both downloading and uploading massive video files at the same time, hence the lag over WiFi networks. I have now wired connections for Roku and TV and Miracast works flawlessly.

Regarding best Miracast dongle?.. It has to be Roku. Has Miracast as well as apps all the video audio apps that you usually want for media consumption. Roku remote for android works great to quickly type in search terms from BB10 phone..

Roku pretty much turns your old T.V into a smart t.v..

BTW.. I usually download videos on my phone and use the media browser app on Roku to play videos saved on my phone.. works perfectly..

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 03:59 PM
    I have the microsoft dongle and it works very well. I use it on tv's and projectors mostly. Never had any trouble with it.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 04:42 PM
    I agree with benmhall above ........ I have tried a few. Of the ones I've tried I prefer the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.

I also have the Netgear PTV 3000 and the Aizbo (which supports Miracast and Airplay). Both work fine.

Sometimes, depending on the connecting device (and the moon phase or something), miracast can seem a little flacky. The one that seems the most reliable and consistent that I've tried again is the Microsoft unit.

Hope this helps!!
    04-24-15 05:38 PM
    Do you have any problems with your Roku stick. With mine, I constantly get discounted. There are also a lot of stuttering, delays, and scrambled pictures especially when playing video. Wonder what is your experience.

Posted via CB10
    It works well when it's on a good wi-fi connection. I have bad wi-fi in the house, and the miracast casts to the wi-fi, and the wi-fi to the TV. When I use my home wi-fi, the Roku is spotty. But I also have a TMobile plan with 5gb of hotspot wi-fi per month. When I connect the Roku to that, it works great.
    04-26-15 05:40 AM
    It works well when it's on a good wi-fi connection. I have bad wi-fi in the house, and the miracast casts to the wi-fi, and the wi-fi to the TV. When I use my home wi-fi, the Roku is spotty. But I also have a TMobile plan with 5gb of hotspot wi-fi per month. When I connect the Roku to that, it works great.
    Thanks for the reply. I've been under the impression that Miracast uses WiFi direct, a peer-to-peer connection. I always wonder if my Miracast problem is due to interference from other WiFi networks nearby. There seems to be no way to switch the WiFi frequency on the Roku stick or on the phone.

I actually have no problem streaming video from Wifi.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 07:52 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I've been under the impression that Miracast uses WiFi direct, a peer-to-peer connection. I always wonder if my Miracast problem is due to interference from other WiFi networks nearby. There seems to be no way to switch the WiFi frequency on the Roku stick or on the phone.

I actually have no problem streaming video from Wifi.
    I'm with Yeeman, afaik Miracast is peer-to-peer. But if my phone is connected via wifi to my TV (using the Netgear) and I'm streaming some video from the InterWeb via my home wifi router to my phone, the Miracast connection can have some issues. Doesn't seem to be an issue if I am displaying saved content from my memory card to the TV over Miracast, but that's not always possible.

When I want to display HD streaming from the Internet over wifi to my phone, the hdmi connection is the most reliable. This is especially so if you're playing it at high volume cuz any choppiness can be quite harsh.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 05:46 PM
    Roku 3 works perfect. It has a built in Miracast player. It never fails me.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 11:40 PM
    Hmm, I'm also looking into getting one. I don't have Internet/wifi at home, just my phone data. Would Miracast still work for me?
    Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 08:52 AM
    No, you need to share the same network.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 06:52 AM
58 123