I don't think the Passport is something you would hand over to a patient, but a nice tool for "interview" type interactions such as medication reconciliation. Most nurses/pharmacists find it easier to just use paper and then (when they get a chance) enter it into their systems (after they've filled in the gaps by calling around patient pharmacies and family doctors). I would never imagine the Passport replacing a data entry workstation, but would be great for retrieval, viewing and correcting.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 05:58 PM
    Don't forget the passport will have access to Android apps via the Amazon App Store which will come pre-installed on it!
    06-23-14 06:01 PM
    I'm a physician, the passport looks perfect. If BlackBerry can strike deals and make all our clinical data available on this through hospital networks, this is going to be a major winner for bb. Chen is a turn around master!!

Posted via CB10
    terminatorx likes this.
    06-23-14 08:01 PM
    I don't think the Passport is something you would hand over to a patient, but a nice tool for "interview" type interactions such as medication reconciliation. Most nurses/pharmacists find it easier to just use paper and then (when they get a chance) enter it into their systems (after they've filled in the gaps by calling around patient pharmacies and family doctors). I would never imagine the Passport replacing a data entry workstation, but would be great for retrieval, viewing and correcting.

Posted via CB10
    Transcription of data is something research nurses like to do, but it is highly error prone and completely avoidable. Interview offices in hospitals often don't have computers or even wife (amazingly more common than you'd think in hospitals) so a remote data entry tool is definitely useful.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 08:02 PM
    I sell Ag products and I think it'll be handy as heck. When I'm with a customer and looking at price sheets, making quotes on products, using evernote and the remember app at the same time, the bigger screen will be very useful. I'm using a z30 and hardly ever open my laptop like I did with any of my other phones, I never pick up my PB. This will just (for me) make my day alot easier

Rockin Z30 on 10.2.1.2947 on AT&T
    06-23-14 08:11 PM
    I think you will be able to get your medical apps via Amazon!
    06-23-14 08:23 PM
    Thanks for the various opinions. Democracy is beautiful you have your say even if you don't have your way!
    Last edited by ablefunzo; 06-23-14 at 10:09 PM.
    06-23-14 09:54 PM
    what would they have to do to make this a productivity monster? what is difference between the q10 beside adding more screen and changing the shape? if the q10 wasn't a productivity monster then i doubt this one will be.
    Simple...provide a huge upgrade to the docs to go app. Support more xls functions (e.g., auto filters, pivot tables, better navigation and entry) and larger files. . Would be nice on the q10 too

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    06-23-14 11:02 PM
    There are a number of challenges in collecting and managing medical research data. Security and privacy are huge issues, and having a device that could work within a highly secure environment, while enabling accurate data entry on a small device could be a fantastic addition. Even my Z30 is awkwardly shaped for most data entry forms , but it would be easy for us to design forms for a device like the passport, given its shape. The keyboard could easily improve accuracy and speed over touchscreen entry, particularly if you're looking up at a patient and asking questions... that is, you can do data entry by feel, which is impossible with a touchscreen. Tablets are of course an option, but are often too big and awkward (e.g. to be used as a patient diary).

Anyway, I deal in these sorts of issues every day and definitely see a niche business here.
    This is EXACTLY what I've been saying in other posts. The Passport was designed for medical/clinical clients since the 1:1 screen will be much better for reviewing reports, scans, x-rays, ECG's, and CAT scans. BlackBerry has already signed a deal with a large medical services company, so I can easily see BlackBerry networks and Passports appearing in hospitals, clinics, and pharmacies.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    06-24-14 09:28 AM
    I'm a physician, the passport looks perfect. If BlackBerry can strike deals and make all our clinical data available on this through hospital networks, this is going to be a major winner for bb. Chen is a turn around master!!

Posted via CB10
    This is EXACTLY what I've been saying in other posts. The Passport was designed for medical/clinical clients since the 1:1 screen will be much better for reviewing reports, scans, x-rays, ECG's, and CAT scans. BlackBerry has already signed a deal with a large medical services company, so I can easily see BlackBerry networks and Passports appearing in hospitals, clinics, and pharmacies.

06-24-14 09:29 AM
    It looks a great device for these sorts of things. The amount of times I have to turn my Z10 and even a Z30 on it's side to be able to effectively fill out forms and spreadsheets. I don't have an issue with the touch keyboards but it does take up a good 1/4 of the screen size making the forms even smaller with only a little window to work with, again even on the Z30.

I would definitely see myself with a passport, it's very attractive for the professional in mind. Not necessarily for the regular consumer though, I think that would be the Classic but definitely think BlackBerry have hit a home run potentially with the Passport. We need wider handsets as opposed to taller ones, which is where other manufacturers seem to be going. All the passport needs is a nice little sleek stylus to accompany the handset built specifically for it.
    06-24-14 09:32 AM
    My son and his girlfriend are pharmacists, they can't wait for this device.
    I too have been previously acquainted with drugs and I can't wait for this either!

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3175 O2 UK
    06-24-14 09:39 AM
    Newbbguy25 and donmateo:

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    06-24-14 10:15 AM
    I understand. My apologies; I let the frustration get the best of me.
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    06-24-14 10:31 AM
    As a nuclear scientist the passport looks like more of the same to me and by running BB10 it is doomed to dismal sales anyway. Have a nice day
    What does you profession have to do with your opinion? I don't see the correlation. Maybe if you were an industrial designer or in product design, or maybe a market analyst, or even a tech blogger your opinion would be more credible. As it is, it is just your opinion.

This is such a stupid assumption. For starters the screen size is completely not suitable for reviewing medical images. Tell me how exactly will you pick out detail on a 3"x3" screen? Second, the engagement between Blackberry and what's-my-name-Health has been too short to have any input or bearing on the design of the Passport. The product design cycle is not 4 months long.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-24-14 10:46 AM
    I really think the screen ratio, res and physical dimension is a bigger deal concerning productivity than some might think. A Q10 screen with its resolution and the physical size of the interface is still tiny, the field of view on a document or Excel sheet is very limited. So considering interface size in pixels the Passport is a straight double up in size, packing the exact same number of pixels as a 1080p screen. And at the same time physical size increases by 65%. I think it's a big deal.
    06-24-14 11:06 AM
    ...that is, you can do data entry by feel, which is impossible with a touchscreen
    I agree with you. But I'll bet there are iPhone/iPad fanatics out there who would challenge this.

"I can easily type just as accurately not looking at the screen, the iPad has such a beautiful dimension that the hand logically goes to where the key should be."
    "My sister who is a neurosurgeon knows exactly where to place her hands, so would know how to type fairly accurately even while doing surgery and not looking at the iPhone 6 screen."

Or this clever and convenient reasoning by early2bed:

"If the user doesn't immediately understand the keyboard then that would be a problem - "where are the number keys?" I have most commonly seen iPads and iPod Touch's used for patient input because they can be encased and cleaned."

As a nuclear scientist the passport looks like more of the same to me and by running BB10 it is doomed to dismal sales anyway. Have a nice day
    I am receiving strong sensations of the dark world you live in, and it scares me.
    Last edited by terminatorx; 06-24-14 at 11:41 AM.
    06-24-14 11:24 AM
    The iPad Mini is much better suited for clinical environments. The display is much larger and can be used in landscape orientation with the retina display model having 2048x1536 pixels if needed. It easily fits in a lab coat pocket. Apps? Just about every clinical app you can think of is either iOS compatible if not custom designed for the iPad interface already.

The base model costs $250 right now which is probably less than half of what a Passport will cost.
    06-24-14 11:35 AM
    I agree with you. But I'll bet there are iPhone/iPad fanatics out there who would challenge this.

"I can easily type just as accurately not looking at the screen, the iPad has such a beautiful dimension that the hand logically goes to where the key should be."
    "My sister who is a neurosurgeon knows exactly where to place her hands, so would know how to type fairly accurately even while doing surgery and not looking at the iPhone 6 screen."
    Ya, right.
    06-24-14 11:40 AM
    The iPad Mini is much better suited for clinical environments. The display is much larger and can be used in landscape orientation with the retina display model having 2048x1536 pixels if needed. It easily fits in a lab coat pocket. Apps? Just about every clinical app you can think of is either iOS compatible if not custom designed for the iPad interface already.

The base model costs $250 right now which is probably less than half of what a Passport will cost.
    Tablets are fine for a clinical setting, but secure data transfer is a huge issue. If you don't believe this, go and talk to an ethics committee and see how they feel about the issue. Using a BB interface it would be possible to do this in an entirely secure manner, which is definitely a big deal. And almost none of the research apps I'm talking about are available on an apple device. They're all developed using the Android platform, or in some cases Microsoft.

But I'm talking about a new way to do things. You can type without looking on a physical keyboard. The screen is still big enough and wide enough to manage typical data entry, but the overall bulk is much less. So it's not replacing a tablet, it's replacing a laptop, and it doesn't even require wifi to work.
    06-24-14 11:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    Physician here as well. Hope it gets dragon transcription and access to major emrs. Atleast here in Ontario pen inputs aren't allowed for patient notes. Being a legal document and all. Most emrs don't accept pen input either way.

The degree to which this device will cater to those in the healthcare field remains to be seen but I remain cautiously optimistic. I have a feeling that the device jointly developed by BlackBerry and NantHealth is something else entirely. Perhaps a tablet? Did they explicitly say it will be a smartphone?

Posted via my Z30
    06-24-14 11:57 AM
    "Hope it gets dragon transcription and access to major emrs", absolutely!
    06-24-14 12:59 PM
    I am a aftermarket product researcher and i think the new BB Passport be my new great mate!!
    06-24-14 01:05 PM
    A scientist who spouts off without any empirical evidence isn't much of a scientist in my opinion.

I'm calling the troll card on this one.
    Nharzhool likes this.
    06-24-14 01:15 PM
    If they just add some more functionality to docs to go, we might have a winner.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 01:40 AM
55 123