There are a number of challenges in collecting and managing medical research data. Security and privacy are huge issues, and having a device that could work within a highly secure environment, while enabling accurate data entry on a small device could be a fantastic addition. Even my Z30 is awkwardly shaped for most data entry forms , but it would be easy for us to design forms for a device like the passport, given its shape. The keyboard could easily improve accuracy and speed over touchscreen entry, particularly if you're looking up at a patient and asking questions... that is, you can do data entry by feel, which is impossible with a touchscreen. Tablets are of course an option, but are often too big and awkward (e.g. to be used as a patient diary).

Anyway, I deal in these sorts of issues every day and definitely see a niche business here.
    06-23-14 10:46 AM
    There are a number of challenges in collecting and managing medical research data. Security and privacy are huge issues, and having a device that could work within a highly secure environment, while enabling accurate data entry on a small device could be a fantastic addition. Even my Z30 is awkwardly shaped for most data entry forms , but it would be easy for us to design forms for a device like the passport, given its shape. The keyboard could easily improve accuracy and speed over touchscreen entry, particularly if you're looking up at a patient and asking questions... that is, you can do data entry by feel, which is impossible with a touchscreen. Tablets are of course an option, but are often too big and awkward (e.g. to be used as a patient diary).

Anyway, I deal in these sorts of issues every day and definitely see a niche business here.
    Yup. I think this would make even more mundane things like excel much easier to manipulate. I'm very excited. This baby is mine.
    06-23-14 10:51 AM
    Yup. I think this would make even more mundane things like excel much easier to manipulate. I'm very excited. This baby is mine.
    It's ours

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jcarlos100; 06-23-14 at 03:41 PM.
    00stryder likes this.
    06-23-14 11:08 AM
    It's ideal for data gathering. Remember BlackBerry is pursuing the medical field with its recent investments.
    06-23-14 11:43 AM
    For those in the medical field, would a read/write capability be useful? IE writing on forms and PDFs with a stylus or something
    06-23-14 12:05 PM
    This is what I'm excited to see. I use excel and word all the time for work. I really want to see how this handles excel in particular.
    06-23-14 12:18 PM
    For those in the medical field, would a read/write capability be useful? IE writing on forms and PDFs with a stylus or something
    Yes, absolutely. There are cognitive tests, for example, that require a patient to draw a figure.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 12:19 PM
    Yes, absolutely. There are cognitive tests, for example, that require a patient to draw a figure.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the quick reply, I know in business this can be exceedingly useful for getting forms back to people immediately. Sounds like a no brainer for BB to do. I've posted the idea on Make It Better, but they obviously won't comment on developing products. Hopefully they use it anyhow.
    neoberry99 and wincyUt like this.
    06-23-14 12:33 PM
    Well, if you're going to actually give a patient a device to handle then you definitely don't want something with a keyboard - especially an incomplete keyboard. The devices need to be easy to clean and disinfect. If the user doesn't immediately understand the keyboard then that would be a problem - "where are the number keys?" I have most commonly seen iPads and iPod Touch's used for patient input because they can be encased and cleaned.

And, would you want to pay for smartphone functionality in these devices if they are aren't needed? Even a basic iPad would be a lot cheaper than an off-contract Passport.

As for medical record viewing and entry, viewing a handheld screen and using a smartphone keyboard would be torture compared to a netbook screen and keyboard.

Finally, niche applications like medical ones are simply not likely to be developed for niche devices because the target audience is already small enough that you need to develop for the devices they are most likely to have - iOS and Android.
    red_devil_fan_1999 likes this.
    06-23-14 01:02 PM
    Well, if you're going to actually give a patient a device to handle then you definitely don't want something with a keyboard - especially an incomplete keyboard. The devices need to be easy to clean and disinfect. If the user doesn't immediately understand the keyboard then that would be a problem - "where are the number keys?" I have most commonly seen iPads and iPod Touch's used for patient input because they can be encased and cleaned.

And, would you want to pay for smartphone functionality in these devices if they are aren't needed? Even a basic iPad would be a lot cheaper than an off-contract Passport.

As for medical record viewing and entry, viewing a handheld screen and using a smartphone keyboard would be torture compared to a netbook screen and keyboard.

Finally, niche applications like medical ones are simply not likely to be developed for niche devices because the target audience is already small enough that you need to develop for the devices they are most likely to have - iOS and Android.
    For patient input in a clinic you'd want a tablet, but for a device to take home they are problematic. And the cleaning thing is a nonissue for this purpose. Security is a huge problem with transferring certain types of data and since one could just use apps based on an android platform that's a non issue too. Keyboards are much easier to use than touchscreens for filling in forms.
    06-23-14 01:08 PM
    For patient input in a clinic you'd want a tablet, but for a device to take home they are problematic. And the cleaning thing is a nonissue for this purpose. Security is a huge problem with transferring certain types of data and since one could just use apps based on an android platform that's a non issue too. Keyboards are much easier to use than touchscreens for filling in forms.
    Unless most of the data in these forms are from a preset selection where the user just has to pick from a drop-down menu
    06-23-14 02:17 PM
    Haters gonna hate.

The passport will be extremely useful for me at work too I think it's the perfect size and shape to be big enough yet still fit in pockets!

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 02:23 PM
    My son and his girlfriend are pharmacists, they can't wait for this device.
    terminatorx and jcarlos100 like this.
    06-23-14 02:32 PM
    if you are in the office why would u use your phone instead of the desktop or whatever machine that's on the desk? there is no way that phone is more convenient or better for anything compare to the desktop. You are going to zoom in the picture of the CT scan in the small screen or look at it in the monitor? or is the phone processor faster than the computer when you need to look up data? i highly doubt passport's keyboard can type faster than a full size keyboard on your desk either.

i don't know what you guys do with excel, but i doubt a small screen like that will help much. maybe most of the excel you guys do is just adding and subtracting number and that's ok, but if you want to do more complicated stuff it will never fly. if you guys coudln't do it before, i doubt an extra inch or so will make a difference.
    Acidwire and mkelley65 like this.
    06-23-14 02:36 PM
    if you are in the office why would u use your phone instead of the desktop or whatever machine that's on the desk? there is no way that phone is more convenient or better for anything compare to the desktop. You are going to zoom in the picture of the CT scan in the small screen or look at it in the monitor? or is the phone processor faster than the computer when you need to look up data? i highly doubt passport's keyboard can type faster than a full size keyboard on your desk either.

i don't know what you guys do with excel, but i doubt a small screen like that will help much. maybe most of the excel you guys do is just adding and subtracting number and that's ok, but if you want to do more complicated stuff it will never fly. if you guys coudln't do it before, i doubt an extra inch or so will make a difference.
    I used to type out notes on my 9900 the same speed as my laptop and it was much more convenient. If I'm with a client at their business or I'm out and about, this is perfect. You're forgetting this extends beyond the medical field. BlackBerry can make this thing a productivity monster if they do it right; which it seems they will.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    06-23-14 02:47 PM
    I used to type out notes on my 9900 the same speed as my laptop and it was much more convenient. If I'm with a client at their business or I'm out and about, this is perfect. You're forgetting this extends beyond the medical field. BlackBerry can make this thing a productivity monster if they do it right; which it seems they will.
    what would they have to do to make this a productivity monster? what is difference between the q10 beside adding more screen and changing the shape? if the q10 wasn't a productivity monster then i doubt this one will be.
    06-23-14 03:14 PM
    How come you didn't write out your notes on a q10? Iv used a Z10 to write out some notes but now i own a Q10 I'm so ready for notes if i ever need to write some

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 03:40 PM
    LOL...we know nothing about the Passport so this might just be the hero device we have been dreaming of.
    06-23-14 03:41 PM
    As a nuclear scientist the passport looks like more of the same to me and by running BB10 it is doomed to dismal sales anyway. Have a nice day
    06-23-14 04:18 PM
    How come you didn't write out your notes on a q10? Iv used a Z10 to write out some notes but now i own a Q10 I'm so ready for notes if i ever need to write some

Posted via CB10
    Because it was not released yet.
    06-23-14 04:34 PM
    Have been asking for this from day one and not just for medical profession. :-)

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 04:50 PM
    This is what I'm excited to see. I use excel and word all the time for work. I really want to see how this handles excel in particular.
    Same, big Excel and documents user. Sitting in on conferences I like to travel light so the fewer devices, the better. A big screen like this will reduce the need for squinting, and zooming in constantly when handouts or material is distributed electronically. iPad mini had problems viewing password enabled Excel files...had to use Z10 instead...a tad too small for continued use. Can't wait to give this puppy a try.
    06-23-14 05:10 PM
    As a nuclear scientist the passport looks like more of the same to me and by running BB10 it is doomed to dismal sales anyway. Have a nice day
    Really? I'd say that is quite an attitude. Do you actually believe BB10 is doomed to dismal sales forever?! BB10 already offers the best Operating System. Strange how all you can see is more of the same, when from my perspective, the Passport represents a fascinating new journey with considerably more potential to change favorably the ease in which things are done conveniently for some functionality (not having to expand screen for best viewing is a biggie). I take it, that the Passport with 10.3 or 10.3.1 will be taken a little more seriously (IMO). I believe BlackBerry will gain with the Passport, and that people will gain noticeably from the Passport. Bring ON the Passport!
    wincyUt likes this.
    06-23-14 05:31 PM
    Really? I hope you are a lot more thoughtful and your opinion more reasoned in your job.
    Nharzhool and wincyUt like this.
    06-23-14 05:46 PM
    At first I didn't really care for the looks of the passport. But after looking at it for the last 2 days,i want one dammit, and I want it soon.
    06-23-14 05:52 PM
55 123