All BB10 devices save for the Z3 (China) and pre-release/low-quantity phones (Canada) are made in Mexico.
    Noted with many thanks . . . I wonder where the Mexico 6 factory is located.

Made in Mexico?-mexico_6.png
    10-29-14 01:07 AM
    Noted with many thanks . . . I wonder where the Mexico 6 factory is located.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mexico_6.png 
Views:	880 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	310309
    I believe they posted above that it's south of Guadalajara.

ZZwiped up on my Z10!
    10-29-14 01:18 AM
    I believe they posted above that it's south of Guadalajara.
    Noted with many thanks . . . but we have heard that BlackBerry Limited has severed tie with Jabil Circuit Incorporated.

Jabil sees strong 2015 as it recovers from BlackBerry loss

----------

Jabil Locations - Guadalajara (Nypro)

Guadalajara (Nypro)

Av. Ignacio Jacobo #20
    Parque Industrial Los Belenes, Zapopan
    45184 Jalisco
    M�xico
    Last edited by yhamaie; 10-29-14 at 03:10 AM.
    10-29-14 01:27 AM

BlackBerry's decision to produce the devices in Indonesia and Mexico is a pay-off for Foxconn's huge investment in those two markets. Foxconn has shifted part of its expanding production facilities to Mexico since 2009 as this is close to its major customer, Apple.

unquote

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9BN00T20131224

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 07:21 AM
    Don't fool yourself, the only reason Mexico is now making washing machines, cars, trucks and locomotives are the low wages and loose regulations. That is not to say that they incapable of assembling a Blackberry but to say that companies search out Mexico because of their expertise versus low hourly wage is ludicrous.

Z10
    This. Wage differential in Mexico vs Canada/US is huge.
    10-29-14 07:48 AM
    I live in California. It's kinda like Mexico anyway....

Don't worry though

Posted via CB10
    Actually it once was Mexico
    jakie55 and Barbareren like this.
    10-29-14 09:05 AM

BlackBerry's decision to produce the devices in Indonesia and Mexico is a pay-off for Foxconn's huge investment in those two markets. Foxconn has shifted part of its expanding production facilities to Mexico since 2009 as this is close to its major customer, Apple.

unquote

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9BN00T20131224

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry was making devices in Mexico before Foxconn existed. I don't get it.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 09:33 AM
    All the BlackBerry devices I have bought were made in Mexico except a torch that was made in Hungary.
    Never had quality issues with any of them!

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    10-29-14 02:00 PM
    we have heard that BlackBerry Limited has severed tie with Jabil Circuit Incorporated.
    https://translate.google.com/transla...500&edit-text=

Sep 23, 2013

Jabil lays off 500 Mexicans

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...siness/2153591

November 21, 2013

Jabil cuts 670 jobs in Hungary as it winds down BlackBerry business
    10-30-14 01:35 AM
    I have a personal dislike with their Mexico factory. My first BlackBerry, a Bold 9900, was Made in Mexico. The trackpad was really deep sunken in, making it uncomfortable to hold. The demo unit's trackpad, to the opposite was raised slightly. Gave the Bold back, the store opened all their four boxes they had left and all four units had this problem, all Made in Mexico. However one unit was a bit better than the others, settled for this one then.

When my first Passport arrived, also Made in Mexico, it had a pretty noticeable bend in the steel frame on top of the phone. It was too much for my taste so I sent it back.
    Recieved my new phone last week, again of course Made in Mexico, and this one is better, yet it still has a slight bend in the frame on the lower left. Not as much as the first one, but enough so the device can't stand on a table like pictured in many photos. Will keep it this time though.

The only rather trouble free Mexico device was my Q10, while it had a rather dim screen and developed double-typing after roughly a year of use, the phone had no initial issues with build quality.

While I am not a fan of the Mexico plant, I am pretty sure all factories have problems of their own. Best example was the iPhone 5 which had wide spread quality issues for the first batches. Scratches, bends and discoloration out of the box weren't uncommon.

Posted via CB10
    jakie55 likes this.
    10-30-14 02:14 AM
    I think I ll wait for a while buying Passport, too many comments for 700 bucks

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 04:58 AM
    Wistron is the manufacturer of the Passport + the other BB10 devices z10, q10 & so on. They are the largest producer of BB devices now, ahead of Foxconn.

They are as good as any other ODM. Personally I think alot of the 'quality control' concerns that are doing the rounds on here are user self inflicted. Whilst some faulty units appear to have passed QC, I think the reason for this is because of the seemingly 'rushed' production to market timeline.

The whole Passport release appeared rushed, and I would speculate production was also probably rushed to meet the release. Given Wistron is probably 'under the pump' to churn out more of these to meet demand, it's to be expected to have some faulty units in the channel.
    dejanh likes this.
    10-30-14 08:14 AM
    Wistron is the manufacturer of the Passport + the other BB10 devices z10, q10 & so on. They are the largest producer of BB devices now, ahead of Foxconn.

They are as good as any other ODM. Personally I think alot of the 'quality control' concerns that are doing the rounds on here are user self inflicted. Whilst some faulty units appear to have passed QC, I think the reason for this is because of the seemingly 'rushed' production to market timeline.

The whole Passport release appeared rushed, and I would speculate production was also probably rushed to meet the release. Given Wistron is probably 'under the pump' to churn out more of these to meet demand, it's to be expected to have some faulty units in the channel.
    The advantage of assembling in Mexico for the North American market is not having to pay tariffs.

As for QC, my replacement unit (Amazon has amazing customer service) has a divot in the glass. This is out of the box and certainly not self-inflicted. Otherwise it's fine, so far. So now I have to choose between a unit where the future risk is a broken key (one key makes a loud click) or a broken screen. I suppose I could just keep one as a backup, but my pockets are not that deep, sadly!
    Made in Mexico?-img_20141029_140030.jpg

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    10-30-14 08:40 AM
    The advantage of assembling in Mexico for the North American market is not having to pay tariffs.

As for QC, my replacement unit (Amazon has amazing customer service) has a divot in the glass. This is out of the box and certainly not self-inflicted. Otherwise it's fine, so far. So now I have to choose between a unit where the future risk is a broken key (one key makes a loud click) or a broken screen. I suppose I could just keep one as a backup, but my pockets are not that deep, sadly!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141029_140030.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	310644

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    You don't want any divots in the screen, trust me on this. I repair many phones as a hobby and any deep scratch or divot is a structurally weak point for the glass. The very first time you drop your device it will crack, most likely starting at the divot.

Personally, I'd reach out to Amazon for another one.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 08:59 AM
    You don't want any divots in the screen, trust me on this. I repair many phones as a hobby and any deep scratch or divot is a structurally weak point for the glass. The very first time you drop your device it will crack, most likely starting at the divot.

Personally, I'd reach out to Amazon for another one.

Posted via CB10
    That's also my feeling. Anything that can induce a shift from the glass state to the crystalline state is bad. But I do find that this defect is unusual, and it would be interesting to know the source of the defect:
    1. Does the Corning factory produce the glass panels cut to the right size, and the divot was a result of poor QC there?
    2. Was it damaged during transit to Mexico 6?
    3. Was it damaged during assembly?

Regardless of the source, it seems that QC at Mexico 6 isn't the greatest. Or CB members are more obsessive when checking their devices.

But here's where you are going to hate DR: Amazon is giving me the option to do another replacement.

I emailed Amazon to see if I need a different RMA and return label. I did not ask for another replacement, I only mentioned that I have been unlucky and have to choose between a weird key and a weak spot in the glass. The return email came within 10 minutes offering another replacement, along with a new RMA number and return label. Now that's called service! I suspect that Amazon can do this because they have a large, well-oiled RMA department that makes the warranty claims on behalf of the customer. But I still haven't decided what to do...seems like I'm just unlucky.
    10-30-14 02:01 PM
    I must be lucky re BB quality. Never had an issue and very well built devices.

Meanwhile at Apple...BBC News - Apple 'failing to protect Chinese factory workers'
    12-19-14 07:53 PM
    What your point? BlackBerry has 2 main factories. Mexico one supplies mainly to north american for years.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 10:48 PM
    All my BlackBerry devices made in Mexico have been fine, I have had a couple of z30's that where made in Canada and they where also well made.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    12-20-14 04:18 AM
    I checked into this and it turns out that Mexico is actually a real country. Volkswagens have been made there for years and have been know for exceptional fit and finish. Check under the hood of your US made car and you'll find lots of made in Mexico parts inside.

If I were tasked with trying to correlate quality of high end manufactured goods with country of origin, based on my experience in the automotive field, I would group Japan and Germany tied for first place, closely followed by the US and Canada.

Mexico, Taiwan and Korea are where a lot of components for US and Japanese cars and tools are outsourced. The manufacturing industries are mature and quite advanced.

China is hit or miss, but ultimately, the quality of the parent company will have the biggest influence over build quality.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 05:14 AM
    Do you want made in mexico or do you want to spend $300 more? pick your poison. and oh btw, if mexico, china, vietnam laborers didn't exist, our wallets would be much lighter. again, pick your poison. and btw x2, the q10 had a crappy battery design where it'd reset itself with the slightest random bump. issues are nothing new. even for apple.

while we're on the same topic, my porsche 911 engine blew up due to a well documented issue. so much for made in germany.
    We've got 6 q10's. Only one of them has developed a loose battery (the phone is nearly two years old). Its a common thing with interchangeable battery's. A piece of electrical tape either around the battery or on the battery/sim card cover fixes it. This is one of the reasons why less and less phones come with interchangeable batteries.

Consumers are too stupid to fix their own products.

Its bloody annoying.

Blast the keyboard with compressed air. Its probably got a corn chip stuck underneath it.
    01-02-15 02:07 PM
    My Z30 came with a Made In Canada sticker on it. I felt foolishly proud and was a bit sad when it eventually wore off. Were the Canadian BB's made in Waterloo?
    01-22-22 04:34 PM
    My Z30 came with a Made In Canada sticker on it. I felt foolishly proud and was a bit sad when it eventually wore off. Were the Canadian BB's made in Waterloo?
    95% of them were made in Mexico, but a handful were made in Canada (not at scale). Not sure which building.
    01-22-22 04:38 PM
    95% of them were made in Mexico, but a handful were made in Canada (not at scale). Not sure which building.
    I vaguely recall from long ago that they employed 11,000 in the region. A proud non-graduate of the university myself, hence the interest.
    01-22-22 04:41 PM
    Now we're resurrecting 5 year old threads?
    I like it!
    There's way more life in here than the Windows Phone forums. Crackberry people sure are a special bunch!

Yeah, my Passport SE is 'Hecho en Mexico' and it's super reliable and solid.
    01-23-22 12:07 PM
    Now we're resurrecting 5 year old threads?
    I like it!
    There's way more life in here than the Windows Phone forums. Crackberry people sure are a special bunch!

Yeah, my Passport SE is 'Hecho en Mexico' and it's super reliable and solid.
    Five (5) year old threads, seven (7) year old threads, unfortunately it’s all BlackBerry Limited has to remember. Old threads lamented the good old days, BACK THEN, when for a brief moment in time, the proverbial tail wagged the dog…
    01-23-22 01:17 PM
56 123