Hi all,

I am a Freedom Mobile client in Calgary. They recently added LTE speeds back in December and there are a lot of people who are using their LTE network.

I have had difficulty connecting to their network and in my brief conversations with their technical support, we can't seem to resolve it.

I have tried making some changes to the APN settings but when I go to the field box to change it, it doesn't allow the change. I can't type or make any amendments.

Another frustrating thing is that Freedom is telling me that the 4G symbol that is displayed on my phone means I am connected to they LTE network when in fact I have always had that symbol. I am almost 100% positive that if I was connected to LTE, it would display it on the top right hand corner, correct?

Has does anybody have any solutions here? It kind of sucks to be paying for LTE without actually getting it. As for the BlackBerry Passport, I have the required bands that it requires. #4 &7

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    01-04-18 04:59 PM
    IIRC Android shows an LTE signal when connected to bands 4 and 7 on Freedom so I assume BB10 should as well. Other threads seem to imply this is a Freedom issue,

https://forums.crackberry.com/wind-m...t-all-1130450/
    01-04-18 06:29 PM
    I m with FREEDOM also. 4G is LTE.
    LTE is a faster type of 4g. So only 4G appears whether u are connected to 4g or 4g LTE

Sent from my Passport Red Edition
    Qorax likes this.
    01-05-18 10:46 PM
    Not true. LTE is LTE, 4G is HSPA.

LTE doesn't work on BlackBerry devices on Freedom. I've gone into the engineering screens and tried to allow LTE and WCDMA, but it automatically kicks out the LTE setting and only allows WCDMA

When you remove the SIM for 15 min, then reinsert it, you can set the APN if you do it quickly. You will also notice that LTE is an available network mode. As soon as it connects to the Freedom network, it goes back to the 2G/3G/4G options.

There's a whole discussion about this on HoFo (I just asked a simple question).

It is some sort of profile setting Freedom is sending to BlackBerry devices (it also affects the PRIV and K1) that blocks LTE.

I've called CS and they say I'm not in an LTE area (even though it doesn't work in LTE areas either, nor in the Away zone) so they refuse to even discuss what's going on. As soon as I'm told I have LTE where I live, I'll call them again to see if they will do something about it.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    01-06-18 07:58 PM
    I m with FREEDOM also. 4G is LTE.
    LTE is a faster type of 4g. So only 4G appears whether u are connected to 4g or 4g LTE

If that's the case, have you tried doing a speed test to see if you're getting better speeds?
    01-06-18 10:31 PM

LTE doesn't work on BlackBerry devices on Freedom. I've gone into the engineering screens and tried to allow LTE and WCDMA, but it automatically kicks out the LTE setting and only allows WCDMA

When you remove the SIM for 15 min, then reinsert it, you can set the APN if you do it quickly. You will also notice that LTE is an available network mode. As soon as it connects to the Freedom network, it goes back to the 2G/3G/4G options.

It is some sort of profile setting Freedom is sending to BlackBerry devices (it also affects the PRIV and K1) that blocks LTE.

I've called CS and they say I'm not in an LTE area (even though it doesn't work in LTE areas either, nor in the Away zone) so they refuse to even discuss what's going on. As soon as I'm told I have LTE where I live, I'll call them again to see if they will do something about it.

Posted via CB10

Thanks for this info. I was wondering what HoFo is? I can't ever recall hearing that name. Is it a website or a fan forum or something.

I am going to try and investigate this further on my end and hopefully reach out to a Freedom Mobile executive to at least get an answer or something.

If this is in fact affecting KeyONE or Motion I would like to know why as it would be an unlocked device device, Android OS and has the required bands.

I don't understand the lack of LTE on a BlackBerry 10 device but for a modern Android device to not work is inexcusable in my opinion.

Thanks again

Posted via CB10
    01-06-18 10:33 PM
    Thanks for this info. I was wondering what HoFo is? I can't ever recall hearing that name. Is it a website or a fan forum or something.

I am going to try and investigate this further on my end and hopefully reach out to a Freedom Mobile executive to at least get an answer or something.

If this is in fact affecting KeyONE or Motion I would like to know why as it would be an unlocked device device, Android OS and has the required bands.

I don't understand the lack of LTE on a BlackBerry 10 device but for a modern Android device to not work is inexcusable in my opinion.

Thanks again

Posted via CB10
    HoFo=Howard Forums
    http://www.howardforums.com/content.php
    Qorax likes this.
    01-06-18 11:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    LTE stands for Long Term Evolution, and isn’t as much a technology as it is the path followed to achieve 4G speeds. As it stands, most of the time when your phone displays the “4G” symbol in the upper right corner, it doesn’t really mean it. When the ITU-R set the minimum speeds for 4G, they were a bit unreachable, despite the amount of money tech manufacturers put into achieving them. In response, the regulating body decided that LTE, the name given to the technology used in pursuit of those standards, could be labeled as 4G if it provided a substantial improvement over the 3G technology.
    So the real question is, can you feel a difference between 4G and LTE networks? Is the speed of loading a page or downloading an app on your handheld device a lot faster if you have LTE technology built in? Probably not, unless you live in a city. While the difference between slower 3G networks and new 4G or LTE networks is certainly very noticeable, many of the 4G and “true 4G” networks have upload and download speeds that are almost identical. The roll out of LTE-A is starting to make a difference, but your mileage may vary. For now, LTE-A is the fastest connection available for wireless networks.

Qorax likes this.
    01-07-18 07:42 AM
    Faster speeds, lower pings, better connections with weaker signals and less congestion are just some of the tangible advantages of LTE vs 3G (let's not pretend what Freedom calls 4G is LTE)

There are real reasons for wanting LTE to work vs the 3G network that Freedom/BlackBerry label as 4G.

It's not working on Freedom yet, and unless the K1 fix fixes it for BlackBerry 10 devices, we won't see LTE on BlackBerry devices even though we have the correct bands on our phones.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    01-07-18 07:23 PM
    Faster speeds, lower pings, better connections with weaker signals and less congestion are just some of the tangible advantages of LTE vs 3G (let's not pretend what Freedom calls 4G is LTE)

There are real reasons for wanting LTE to work vs the 3G network that Freedom/BlackBerry label as 4G.

It's not working on Freedom yet, and unless the K1 fix fixes it for BlackBerry 10 devices, we won't see LTE on BlackBerry devices even though we have the correct bands on our phones.

Posted via CB10

Do you know if the BlackBerry Motion will get LTE on Freedom since it operates on band 66 as well as others?

What do you think is stopping BlackBerry 10 devices and BlackBerry Android devices from getting LTE? I can't see any specific business reason other than them wanting to sell devices directly from the carrier but excluding BlackBerry devices seems odd as the market share is so small.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-18 10:33 PM
    No one has reported the results of the Motion yet.

Based on the anecdotal evidence available, it seems that devices with the BlackBerry manufacturer tag, including the K1 as well as the PRIV have a certain profile sent to the phone once it connects to the network that disallows LTE. I'm not sure if it automatically triggers BIS or anything like that. I don't have a BBOS device to test this theory, and others online don't have the SIM adapter to try it. If anyone does have a BBOS device with a full size SIM, I'd love to hear the results from this test.

The DTEK50 works with Freedom LTE, I'm assuming because it has an Alcatel tag built in.

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with available bands on the phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-18 11:30 PM
    No one has reported the results of the Motion yet.

Based on the anecdotal evidence available, it seems that devices with the BlackBerry manufacturer tag, including the K1 as well as the PRIV have a certain profile sent to the phone once it connects to the network that disallows LTE. I'm not sure if it automatically triggers BIS or anything like that. I don't have a BBOS device to test this theory, and others online don't have the SIM adapter to try it. If anyone does have a BBOS device with a full size SIM, I'd love to hear the results from this test.

The DTEK50 works with Freedom LTE, I'm assuming because it has an Alcatel tag built in.

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with available bands on the phone.

Posted via CB10

Thanks for all your excellent posts helping us BlackBerry and Freedom clients

Posted via CB10
    01-08-18 11:57 AM
    Thanks for the comment. I could be completely off on all this, but it's what I've put together so far.

Unfortunately Freedom won't talk to me about it until LTE is available in my area, or I have the time to wait two hours for tech support (thanks iPhone on Freedom!)

Posted via CB10
    01-08-18 03:25 PM
    IIRC Freedom carried the DTEK50 when it launched so that could be why it's supported.

Edit:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2016/08/22/b...o-wind-mobile/
    01-08-18 04:09 PM
    They also carried the PRIV (doesn't work) and the Leap (no reports of it working either).

They carried the Q10 (I bought mine from them), doesn't work.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-18 05:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    How do you get into the engineering screen on BB10? All the methods I've been trying involve dead links and I've yet to be able to gain access.
    01-12-18 09:11 AM
    Which device?

On the Passport I got lucky and got an all numeric code. With a touchscreen you can use the whole keyboard.

Do a Google search and keep trying. There are a bunch of dead links, I can't remember which one works now. I did it a couple of months ago.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-18 11:11 AM