I got my passport this Sunday and along with it got the Airtel 4G compatible sim card... Set up and updated and wiped the phone post initial OS update. I then set up the phone again and everything worked fine.

On Tuesday I realized that the passport is 4G compatible, so I looked into the radio settings and see that it is set to 4G/3G/2G.
    I called up Airtel and asked them

Does Airtel have 4G in Bangalore? Yes
    What Frequency? LTE2100
    Is my SIM Card compatible? Yes
    Why am I not getting LTE? Select 4G as network. I said already selected
    Does Airtel have any special plans for LTE? No... If you are moving into an LTE coverage area the phone should automatically switch

At the moment the screen shows H+

So the question is... Is there anything else that needs to be done? Not that I am not happy that I am not getting LTE, but I would really like to experience LTE speeds which I am not right now.
    04-23-15 05:25 AM
    Hi you can try this select network operators manually and choose 4G if available
    LTE not enabling on Passport SQW100-1-img_20150423_182637.png
    LTE not enabling on Passport SQW100-1-img_20150423_182759.png

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 05:28 AM
    I got my passport this Sunday and along with it got the Airtel 4G compatible sim card... Set up and updated and wiped the phone post initial OS update. I then set up the phone again and everything worked fine.

On Tuesday I realized that the passport is 4G compatible, so I looked into the radio settings and see that it is set to 4G/3G/2G.
    I called up Airtel and asked them

Does Airtel have 4G in Bangalore? Yes
    What Frequency? LTE2100
    Is my SIM Card compatible? Yes
    Why am I not getting LTE? Select 4G as network. I said already selected
    Does Airtel have any special plans for LTE? No... If you are moving into an LTE coverage area the phone should automatically switch

At the moment the screen shows H+

So the question is... Is there anything else that needs to be done? Not that I am not happy that I am not getting LTE, but I would really like to experience LTE speeds which I am not right now.
    Did you subscribe to LTE Data? 4G and 4GLTE are different.

You said your sim is 4G capable, do you know if it's LTE capable? If your phone is set to 4g/3g/2g, max you'll get is H+ or 4G not LTE.

Is there an lte+4g+3g option in mobile network screen?

Attachment 348982
    04-23-15 05:37 AM
    04-23-15 05:47 AM
    Did you subscribe to LTE Data? 4G and 4GLTE are different.

You said your sim is 4G capable, do you know if it's LTE capable? If your phone is set to 4g/3g/2g, max you'll get is H+ or 4G not LTE.

Is there an lte+4g+3g option in mobile network screen?

Attachment 348982
    I dont think Airtel distinguishes between 4G and 4G LTE capable. I am not wrong they may not even have full LTE capability. However I will need to check with them this evening and get back on this
    There is no lte+4G+3G option in that screen.

According to a thread earlier by raino... the phone can be used on 2300 and 1800 bands
    04-23-15 05:57 AM
    On my carrier in the USA, I only get the "LTE" indicator when I am not connected via WiFi. Suggestion: try turning off your WiFi radio and see if that enables LTE.
    04-23-15 06:16 AM
    does not work cmdrstraker...
    I will be working with Airtel tonight on this issue. See if the SIM card needs to be changed again. If yes I will. If that also does not work then I am guessing it is an Airtel Issue and not a phone issue
    04-23-15 06:21 AM
    With wifi turned on the phone won't display LTE since it is using wifi for data. If you turn off wifi your phone will switch to LTE for data and display the connection. My Android phones and Passport does this.
    However the OP didn't indicate he was using wifi.

Posted using my BlackBerry Passport.
    04-23-15 06:23 AM
    LTE not enabling on Passport SQW100-1-img_20150423_165148.png

This is what I have when I do a manual scan

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 06:23 AM
    With wifi turned on the phone won't display LTE since it is using wifi for data. If you turn off wifi your phone will switch to LTE for data and display the connection. My Android phones and Passport does this.
    However the OP didn't indicate he was using wifi.

Posted using my BlackBerry Passport.
    Have Wi-Fi turned off.
    04-23-15 06:26 AM
    You might want to try it outside to see if you get LTE. LTE doesn't always work very well inside.

You also have to have an LTE SIM, the SIM tells the phone what frequencies to show or make available in the network selection screen.
    04-23-15 06:49 AM
    I think it's your SIM is not LTE ready. Looking through your picture list of available network it doesn't seem to pick up other LTE provider as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150423_165148.png 
Views:	977 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	348988

This is what I have when I do a manual scan

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 07:01 AM
    Looks like you can swap your sim for free
    http://www.airtel.in/4g/sim-swap.htm...obile-sim-swap

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 07:54 AM
    I think it's your SIM is not LTE ready. Looking through your picture list of available network it doesn't seem to pick up other LTE provider as well.

Posted via CB10
    That's what even I thought... but the airtel guys keep saying on the phone that the sim is LTE / 4G capable. Will have to visit their store this Saturday then.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 09:23 AM
    LTE not enabling on Passport SQW100-1-img_20150423_113802.png

You aren't going to get lte without selecting it as an option.
    If you don't have that option, either your carrier has disabled it or your sim isn't capable or something else!
    Good luck
    04-23-15 10:40 AM
    Thanks guys...
    I will update this thread on Saturday evening after paying a visit to the carrier.
    04-23-15 11:06 AM
    It might be your APN setting. They should be able to tell you what those should be over the phone. You might want to do a search for your carriers APN settings, if there are any differences you could put those in and give it a try.
    Good luck. Will be interested in knowing how you come out on this.
    04-23-15 12:38 PM
    I had a similar problem when I got my Passport and also a new nano-SIM from o2 DE. Inserted the SIM and the phone didn't show any LTE connectivity. I rebooted the device, tried to limit connections and so on, nothing worked. Called their customer service and the carrier stated for whatever reason the new SIM wasn't enabled for LTE, luckily they could remotely change it and 24 hours later the LTE symbol suddenly appeared.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 01:08 PM
    Wikipedia says Airtel uses TD-LTE, so no current BlackBerry will get LTE on Airtel. Pretty much everywhere except India and China uses FD-LTE, so that's what the Passport uses.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 01:24 PM
    There is your answer. We should have done a little research into the carrier network technology like Thurask have instead of making all these guesses.

Let's put this in more clear terms, TD-LTE is NOT compatible with International standard LTE which is what the Passport only supports.

TD-LTE is the Chinese way of saying I'm not going to go with the Western norm so I'm going to reinvent my own version of LTE which will not be compatible with other networks around the world. Poor choice on Airtel for going with China's TD-LTE standard because it isn't a widely used standard besides China being the only big player.

Unfortunately you need a specific phone chipset that supports TD-LTE to work on that specific network. Nothing you can do but at least you still have a choice of HSPA which isn't bad imo.

Wikipedia says Airtel uses TD-LTE, so no current BlackBerry will get LTE on Airtel. Pretty much everywhere except India and China uses FD-LTE, so that's what the Passport uses.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 03:41 PM
    04-23-15 04:11 PM
    There is your answer. We should have done a little research into the carrier network technology like Thurask have instead of making all these guesses.

Let's put this in more clear terms, TD-LTE is NOT compatible with International standard LTE which is what the Passport only supports.

TD-LTE is the Chinese way of saying I'm not going to go with the Western norm so I'm going to reinvent my own version of LTE which will not be compatible with other networks around the world. Poor choice on Airtel for going with China's TD-LTE standard because it isn't a widely used standard besides China being the only big player.

Unfortunately you need a specific phone chipset that supports TD-LTE to work on that specific network. Nothing you can do but at least you still have a choice of HSPA which isn't bad imo.
    Caramba... just finished talking to the Airtel guys and they say that the SIM I have is a 3G SIM. They asked me to change it and I should be able to see 4G. It is possible that I may still not be able to see it because most of our carriers rely on Huawei equipment. I don't like it but have to live with it.

Let's wait for tomorrow... if not then Saturday it is

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 05:28 PM
    That's what even I thought... but the airtel guys keep saying on the phone that the sim is LTE / 4G capable. Will have to visit their store this Saturday then.

Posted via CB10
    Once you do the network scan carriers will Show lte! I took a screen shot when I do a manual scan!

 Passport SQW100-1 / 10.3.1.2708 Rogers Wireless
    Attachment 349205
    04-24-15 02:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    Ok... Thurask... you were right.
    I got a new sim and did a manual scan...

LTE not enabling on Passport SQW100-1-img_20150424_145048.jpg
    LTE not enabling on Passport SQW100-1-img_20150424_145309.png

I now know that this is not going to work. Disappointed that BlackBerry sold a phone in India without doing the ground work. Agreed that most of India does not have 4G but if you are going to sell at least make it future proof!!! Most of the country will be 4G enabled in a couple of years. If Apple can do it with the 5C why not BlackBerry, is my concern.

With the company moving towards fulfilling security needs for the world with their end to end offering, having a 4G chip for across the world in the phone should have done it a world of good. The top end phone from BlackBerry released in 2014 does not have 4G !!! This makes BlackBerry look ancient and not adapting to the changing technology.

End of rant

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 04:36 AM
    Ok... Thurask... you were right.
    I got a new sim and did a manual scan...

Name:	IMG_20150424_145048.jpg 
Views:	694 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	349215

Name:	IMG_20150424_145309.png 
Views:	694 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	349216

I now know that this is not going to work. Disappointed that BlackBerry sold a phone in India without doing the ground work. Agreed that most of India does not have 4G but if you are going to sell at least make it future proof!!! Most of the country will be 4G enabled in a couple of years. If Apple can do it with the 5C why not BlackBerry, is my concern.

With the company moving towards fulfilling security needs for the world with their end to end offering, having a 4G chip for across the world in the phone should have done it a world of good. The top end phone from BlackBerry released in 2014 does not have 4G !!! This makes BlackBerry look ancient and not adapting to the changing technology.

End of rant

Posted via CB10
    you don't expect BB to create a phone specifically for India, because one or two operators made bad choices with their LTE technology?
    04-24-15 04:44 AM
42 12